Ingredients For The White Philly Cheese Steak Sauce
Dont want to make your own white sauce for pizza? No problem you can substitute Alfredo sauce. But my DIY white sauce tastes amazing on steak pizza . Heres what you need
- The base: olive oil, garlic, butter, flour, milk
- Seasoning: salt, black pepper, dried Italian seasonings blend
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley
Tips For Perfect Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- The steak can be slightly pink, i.e. medium rare to medium doneness, as it will finish cooking on the pizza.
- You can prepare your pizza dough in advance and freeze it. Just wrap the risen dough in plastic wrap and place in a resealable plastic bag before freezing. Then place it in the fridge overnight to defrost and let it rest on the counter for an hour to reach room temperature.
- You can easily reheat at 400° for about 5 minutes, which will give it a crispy crust like freshly made.
Ingredients For Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Toppings
Heres all the delicious gourmet pizza toppings for my version of Philly steak pizza
- 1 ball pizza dough
- A little olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley to sprinkle on top at the end
Other pizza toppings you can add
- Peppers and mushrooms are a pretty classic cheese steak topping, so feel free to throw some fresh or sautéed mushrooms on top as well.
- Provolone cheese is a great substitution or addition to the cheese blend.
- Bell peppers of any color will work. Orange and red peppers are on the sweeter site, whereas green bell peppers are a bit more bitter.
- Any onions will work.Caramelized red onions are another great choice. Walla Walla yellow onions are sweeter and perfect on top, as well.
Read Also: The Best Steak Restaurant In Nyc
This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Is Your Favorite Sandwich In Pizza Form
This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is cheesy, meaty, comfort food at its most addicting. It starts by layering pizza dough with Alfredo Sauce followed by mozzarella cheese, juicy steak, bell peppers, mushrooms and more cheese then baked to golden bubbly perfection. This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is fabulous game day food, party food, company food or just a fun dinner any night of the week. Prepare to fall in love with your new favorite way to eat Philly Cheese Steak!
How To Make Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
After I worked out the crust recipe, I moved on to perfecting my toppings and finding the right balance of flavors. I started by breaking down my ingredients and analyzing how each one fit into the puzzle.
Ribeye is my favorite cut of steak its tender, juicy and takes on flavor like none other. I sauteed strips of ribeye steak with green peppers, onions, and seasoning so those flavors would blend together and stand on their own.
Philly Cheese Steaks dont have tomatoes so using alfredo sauce only seemed right. Its creamy, cheesy and oh so rich! After spreading a generous layer of alfredo I proceeded to pile on my steak mixture.
As I mentioned before, my favorite cheese steaks are loaded with provolone cheese. I love that provolone is mild yet so flavorful. Plus, the cheese pull is crazy! So, I sprinkled my cheese on top of the steak and watched the magic happen in my oven.
The end result is a beautiful golden crust layered with flavors that have perfectly melted together. I am honestly drooling at the memory of how good each bite was! You absolutely HAVE to make this pizza.
You May Like: Philly Cheese Steak Meat Walmart
How To Cook A Pizza
The very best option is in a wood-fired oven. If you have one of these, Im jealous.
The best option for most people is in the oven. However, I do love this electric pizza maker by Hamilton Beach. It cooks up to 40% faster & is up to 52% more energy efficient than a regular kitchen oven. It doesnt take up a lot of space and theres a handy viewing window.
This awesome little machine can cook up to a 12-inch pizza . The best feature is the top and bottom heating elements that enable the pizza crust to cook while the toppings are cooking.
Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Sticks Recipe:
- Start by chopping up some green bell peppers and onions, then sauté them in a skillet with just a little butter.
- Unroll some refrigerated pizza dough and cut into mini rectangles.
- Top each slice of pizza dough with some provolone cheese, deli roast beef and your sautéed peppers and onions.
- Wrap them up, brush with butter and bake!
There is major debate on the actual components for a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.
Some say there are no peppers, some say there are no onions, some say that only authentic Philly Cheesesteaks have cheese whiz, NOT provolone cheese.
To this I say, just do what makes you happy!
This recipe reflects what I think is a delicious sandwich stuffed into some pizza dough. It might not be the most authentic recipe out there, but it tastes AMAZING!
Don’t Miss: Wusthof Classic Steak Knives Set Of 4
How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough
Homemade Pizza Dough may seem daunting to make, but its pretty simple as long as you have the time to let it rest. First, activate your yeast by letting it sit in water and sugar for about 10 minutes until its frothy. Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl. Then mix in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
Knead the dough on a work surface until you have a smooth dough thats tacky, but not sticky. Then place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rest in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and roll it out to the size of the pizza youre making.
Can I Make This Ahead Of Time And Freeze For Later
Of course, you can make it into a homemade frozen pizza! In fact, when I have extra pizza crust on hand after finding it on sale, I love making up some homemade pizzas to wrap and pop into the freezer for later.
These are best prepared and baked when ready to serve. Simply prepare until you are at the step of adding to the oven to bake. Wrap the pizza in plastic wrap covering it completely, and then store flat on a shelf in your freezer for up to three months. When ready, pop into the oven at the same temperature and cook for a few minutes longer to heat through and melt the cheese.
Recommended Reading: Victorinox Swiss Army Steak Knives
Faqs For This Tasty Steak Pizza
What cheese is used in Philly cheese steak pizza?
The signature cheese used on Dominos or Papa Johns Philly cheese steak pizza is Provolone, a semi-hard Italian cheese. If you cant get Provolone or dont like it, try making this recipe with mozzarella and cheese. Those are some of my favorite pizza toppings for beef pizzas, which is why theyre used in this recipe.
What can I serve with Philly cheese steak pizza?
A simple tomato cucumber salad marinated in vinegar is a good side option to serve with your homemade Philly cheese steak pizza. Homemade fries, nachos, air fryer wings, or coleslaw are other possibilities.
What sauce is on Philly cheese steak pizza?
Philly cheese steak pizza features a creamy white sauce thats similar to an Alfredo sauce, but dont head to the store just yet my recipe gives you all the information you need to make it from scratch out of basic ingredients.
Can you freeze Philly Cheese Steak Pizza?
This Philly cheese steak pizza can be frozen, so make up several and slip them in the freezer for when the mood strikes! I like to parbake store bought Whole Foods pizza dough or Trader Joes pizza dough and then top it, and freeze the toppings.
Can you freeze the toppings on steak pizza?
What Kind Of Meat Is Used For Philly Cheese Steak
. Similarly, you may ask, what is Philly cheese steak made of?
A cheesesteak is a sandwich made from thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll.
One may also ask, what kind of bread is used for Philly cheesesteaks? My friends on BBQ Brethren believe Amoroso is the best bread for a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.
Beside above, what cut of beef is used for shaved steak?
Since a slicer or band saw can cut any meat thin, shaved beef can cost as much as the most expensive cut or even slightly more if it’s sliced to order. But there’s no need for such extravagance, and most sliced steak comes from the round.
What is on an original Philly Cheesesteak?
A cheesesteak is made up of thinly sliced, sauteed rib eye beef and melted cheese on a long, crusty roll. Common toppings include fried onions, hot or sweet peppers, sauteed mushrooms and ketchup.
Also Check: How To Make Dry Aged Steak
Whats On A Philly Cheese Steak Pizza From Dominos
The Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is less like a pizza with cheesesteak toppings and more like a sandwich with pizza crust instead of a hoagie. Instead of a tomato sauce they use three types of cheese: mozzarella, provolone and American. Toppings include sautéed onions, mushrooms and bell peppers. Of course, you cant forget tender slices of steak sliced thin!
Assemble And Bake Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Now Ill walk you through using a pizza stone to cook Philly pizza, but you can find directions on cooking pizza on a sheet pan in the recipe at the bottom of this page.
Help pizza dough rise in advance The morning-of making the pizza, move the dough from the fridge to a countertop. At a minimum, take the dough out of the fridge a couple of hours before making this pizza recipe .
Step 1. Preheat oven to 460ºF and preheat pizza stone. Consult your pizza stone to ensure the cooking temperature is safe and appropriate for your particular brand.
Step 2. Stretch the pizza dough. Check out the Sip Bite Go guide to stretching pizza dough for visuals or watch this pizza recipe video at the bottom of this page. There are also tips for you in the recipe card notes.
Step 3. Assemble pizza. Take the pizza stone out of the oven and brush half the olive oil on the pizza stone. Carefully add raw pizza to the hot pizza stone. Add the pizza toppings right on top of the raw pizza dough.
First, brush olive oil on the outside crust of the pizza in a circle shape. Then add sauce to the center of the raw pizza dough leaving 1 on the outside for the crust.
Sprinkle on the cheese. Top with cooked steak slices and sautéed onions and peppers.
Step 4. Bake pizza. Add pizza to the oven and bake at 460ºF for 10-15 minutes . Pizza is ready when cheese has completely melted and is starting to bubble. The bottom of the dough should be golden brown.
Read Also: How Much Does A Wagyu A5 Steak Cost
Is Brooklyn Style Pizza From Dominos Good
On the first few bites, the sauce had surprising character, tangy and vibrant. The crust earns a 3, the cheese gets a 5, the sauce is a 5, and the pepperoni a 6. Overall, because the crust is always the key, the Dominos Brooklyn style pizza earns a 4. Better than no pizza, but really no reason to eat this stuff.
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Philly Cheese Steak
- Traditionally the best cut of meat for a Philly cheese steak sandwich would be a ribeye.
- Since these pizza sticks are meant to be a quick and easy appetizer or snack, I opted for some deli sliced roast beef.
- Grab a good quality roast beef if you can for optimal flavor and texture.
- If you happen to have some leftover steak in your fridge, thinly slice it and substitute that for the roast beef!
Also Check: Steak N Shake Franchise Disclosure Document
Traditional Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Sometimes my family likes their pizza crust extra crispy, so I prebake the crust for 5 minutes before adding the toppings. There are never leftovers. -Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, Illinois
Provided by Taste of Home
|1 small green pepper, julienned
|1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
|1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
|1 small onion, halved and sliced
|1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
|1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
|1/2 cup pizza sauce
|2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
|2 cups shredded provolone cheese, divided
|1 cup shredded or julienned cooked roast beef
|1/3 cup pickled pepper rings
|1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
|1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic cook 1 minute longer., Place crust on an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Spread pizza sauce over crust and dot with cream cheese. Sprinkle with 1 cup provolone cheese. Top with pepper mixture, beef, pepper rings and remaining provolone cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano., Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 439 calories, Fat 20g fat , Cholesterol 61mg cholesterol, Sodium 826mg sodium, Carbohydrate 36g carbohydrate , Protein 29g protein.
Tips For Great Homemade Pizza
- Take the time to make your own dough. My go-to is this no-knead pizza dough.
- If you don’t want to make your own sauce, a store-bought alfredo will work.
- Don’t go overboard on the sauce. You want to just spread it lightly.
- Use apizza stone so you can broil the pizza and get a nice crust, but bubbly top.
Read Also: What Steak Should I Order
Keep It All Real Even Your Cheesesteaks
Thats it for our guide on what the real Philly cheese steak is like. Now that you know the basic ingredients, it should be easier to find a place that serves true Philly cheesesteaks. Remember, the key to knowing is to ask your server about the food.
Do you still find it difficult to find the original Philly cheesesteak? Tired of walking around Philadelphia to get the right sandwich? Check out our other guides and well show you a few more tricks on finding the one your stomach is craving.
Tips For The Best Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- You need to cook the veggies in advance for a few reasons. First of all, this helps them release their moisture and keeps your pizza from getting soggy. You also get a sweeter depth of flavor from the onions than we would if we put them on the pizza raw.
- Another couple things to prevent a soggy crust are to put a cheese base down on your pizza sauce before any other toppings, and to let all the juices drain off your meat and veggies before adding them to the Philly cheese steak pizza.
- You can also use leftover cooked sirloin steak on your pizza. Just skip cooking it in the skillet, and add it with the cooked veggies on top of the pizza. This is best with steak that is rare or medium, not well done, since it will cook 10 minutes in the oven. Another great way to use up steak is our leftover steak tacos recipe!
Don’t Miss: Miracle Blade Iii Steak Knives
Why Youll Love This Recipe
There are SO many reasons to love this Philly Steak Pizza Recipe:
- Comfort food! The combination of creamy Alfredo sauce, juicy marinated steak and bell peppers sandwiched in between melty cheese on soft, chewy pizza crust. It doesnt get any better.
- Less expensive. You can make an entire hearty pizza and serve the whole family for less than dining out.
- Freezer friendly. This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is freezer friendly, so you can make ahead or double the recipe for two meals in one!
- Crowd friendly. This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza is always a crowd favorite, making it perfect for parties!
- Make ahead. You can prepare the dough, marinate and even cook the steak and slice the veggies so it can come together in a flash!
How To Reheat Pizza
The best method for reheating pizza is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 and place your pizza on a baking sheet. You can line it with parchment paper for easier clean up if youd like. Once the oven is up to temp, cook the pizza in it for 8-10 minutes, until you can smell it.
The cheese should be almost bubbling and hot, even in the center, and the crust should stay nice and crispy.
Also Check: Baked Cube Steak With Lipton Onion Soup
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe
This Philly Steak Pizza recipe is CRAZY GOOD. Like so crazy good that Patrick and I kept murmuring crazy good over and over again in between bites as we stuffed our faces with this crazy good pizza.
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza is an ode to my absolutely favorite Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. I crave this meaty, cheese sandwich so much that Ive already made Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and Philly Cheesesteak Soup. The only way to possible make this dining delight even more delicious?! Make it into Philly Cheesesteak Pizza!
The sautéing of the steak, onions and peppers only takes about 5 minutes and the layering can be done in a flash, so that makes this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza the ultimate quick, easy and uber delicious dinner especially if you have made the Perfect Homemade Pizza Crust beforehand and either refrigerated it or frozen it for times like this when the Philly Cheese Steak Pizza craving just wont go away which for me, is pretty much all the time!
I apologize in advance if you develop a craving problem after eating this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza. But then again, its a delicious problem to have. And your family will love you for it because your problem means more of their favorite pizza, because if you all love Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches, this will be your new favorite pizza!