Traditional Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
Sometimes my family likes their pizza crust extra crispy, so I prebake the crust for 5 minutes before adding the toppings. There are never leftovers. -Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, Illinois
Provided by Taste of Home
|1 small green pepper, julienned|
|1 small sweet red pepper, julienned|
|1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms|
|1 small onion, halved and sliced|
|1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil|
|2 ounces cream cheese, cubed|
|2 cups shredded provolone cheese, divided|
|1 cup shredded or julienned cooked roast beef|
|1/3 cup pickled pepper rings|
|1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese|
|1/2 teaspoon dried oregano|
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic cook 1 minute longer., Place crust on an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Spread pizza sauce over crust and dot with cream cheese. Sprinkle with 1 cup provolone cheese. Top with pepper mixture, beef, pepper rings and remaining provolone cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and oregano., Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 439 calories, Fat 20g fat , Cholesterol 61mg cholesterol, Sodium 826mg sodium, Carbohydrate 36g carbohydrate , Protein 29g protein.
Recommended Reading: Is Chuck E Cheese Closed
Make The Sauted Onions And Peppers Pizza Topping
Also see the full length tutorial video at the bottom of this post for step by step if its your first time making onions and peppers for pizza toppings. See tips for cutting peppers.
For more details, see this sautéed onions and peppers recipe.
How Do You Slice The Steak For This Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
For the steak, it is important that it is thinly sliced so that it is nice and tender with little crispy charred bits from the high heat in the oven. You can buy a strip steak and thinly slice it yourself. If you choose this, I recommend putting the steak in the freezer for about 15 minutes before slicing and then using a sharp knife to thinly slice the meat across the grain. Or to save time, most grocery stores now sell steak that has been thinly sliced in the meat department.
Don’t Miss: Miracle Blade Iii Steak Knives
Tips For Great Homemade Pizza
- Take the time to make your own dough. My go-to is this no-knead pizza dough.
- If you don’t want to make your own sauce, a store-bought alfredo will work.
- Don’t go overboard on the sauce. You want to just spread it lightly.
- Use apizza stone so you can broil the pizza and get a nice crust, but bubbly top.
How To Make Philly Cheese Steak Pizza:
The dough for this pizza comes together fairly quickly with a mix of cream cheese, mozzarella, egg, and almond flour.
Roll it out between some parchment paper and bake it for about 10 minutes to let the crust firm up a bit.
When its time to top the pizza, youll want to cook up some thinly sliced steak. I used ribeye, but you can use a cheaper cut if you prefer.
Cook the steak until its just browned on the outside. Its going in the oven too, so you dont want to turn it into leather.
After the steak is browned, toss some onions and peppers in the hot skillet and let those soften and brown a bit.
For the sauce, Im using cream cheese. Just plain old cream cheese. Its creamy, rich, and perfect for this!! Have faith.
Pile on the steak, veggies, and a little more cheese. Shredded provolone is good, if you can find it. Mozzarella works well too.
Pop this back in the oven for another 10 minutes or so to melt the cheese and finish off the crust and then its time to dig in!
Love Philly cheese steaks? Give my Philly cheesesteak casserole a try next!
You May Like: What Cheese Is Best For Keto
Read Also: Perfect New York Strip Steak
Tips For Rolling Up Your Pizza Sticks:
- When rolling out the pizza dough, try to not press it too thin. This can cause breaks in the dough when rolling and baking.
- Try your best to not over fill the pizza sticks as this can make it more difficult to roll them up.
- Pinch the seams closed all around so no filling can escape, then lay them seam side down on the baking sheet.
- NOTE: Some filling or cheese might ooze out when baking, which is ok. Those crispy cheese bits tend to be my favorite part!
Bake your pizza sticks until they are nice and golden brown before removing from the oven. Let them cool slightly before enjoying!
We seriously love the flavors of these quick and easy Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Sticks!
Not only do they make a great appetizer for game day, but theyre also great for snacks and lunch!
Make sure you dont miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
Do I Need A Cast Iron Skillet For This Deep Dish Pan Pizza
The cast iron pan is an important part of this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza as it heats up really hot and lets the crust develop that perfect crispy crust. However, if you dont have a 10 inch cast iron skillet, there are other options. I have also made this using a 10 inch round cake pan as well as a ceramic casserole dish. Both turned out pretty good, although the crust doesnt get quite as crisp. Just make sure to oil the sides of the pan to keep the pizza from sticking.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Cook Steak
Whats On Dominos Philly Cheese Steak
Each sandwich has beautifully sliced portions of steak that are placed onto our tasty bread. Then we add layers of traditional cheese steak vegetables, including fresh onions, green peppers, and, of course, mushrooms. Once the steak slices and vegetables have been placed, its time to add the cheeses.
What Kind Of Meat For Philly Cheesesteaks
Choosing the meat is almost totally up to you. There are different cuts of meat you can use in this recipe.
For instance, you can use ribeye or skirt steak shaved into thin slices.
Perhaps the easiest and most cost-effective meat to use is thickly sliced roast beef, which is a great option as well. This is actually the meat we use in our sandwiches and will be what we use for our pizza, too.
Recommended Reading: The Great Steak And Potato
What Sauce Goes On Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Ketchup and mayo would be standard for a Philly cheesesteak, and Ranch or 1000 Island are always nice, and horseradish works well with beef. What sauce is on Dominos Philly steak pizza? Dominos Philly Cheese Steak Pizza no sauce on this pizza, its actually white American cheese underneath fillings and provolone on top.
Cheese Whiz is currently a favorite topping on cheesesteaks. Leave the red gravy off if you go wit. My wife is from Philly and hates cheesesteaks with cheesewhiz and always gets a pizza steak-red gravy, mozzarella, onions and green peppers.
Philly Cheesesteak Papadia® Perfect for On-the-Go. Loaded with plenty of sliced steak, juicy onions, green peppers and topped with melted cheese and our signature Philly sauce, youre sure to have heads turning in the office when you unwrap your delectable pocket of pizza/sandwich hybrid goodness.
Tips For The Best Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- You need to cook the veggies in advance for a few reasons. First of all, this helps them release their moisture and keeps your pizza from getting soggy. You also get a sweeter depth of flavor from the onions than we would if we put them on the pizza raw.
- Another couple things to prevent a soggy crust are to put a cheese base down on your pizza sauce before any other toppings, and to let all the juices drain off your meat and veggies before adding them to the Philly cheese steak pizza.
- You can also use leftover cooked sirloin steak on your pizza. Just skip cooking it in the skillet, and add it with the cooked veggies on top of the pizza. This is best with steak that is rare or medium, not well done, since it will cook 10 minutes in the oven. Another great way to use up steak is our leftover steak tacos recipe!
Read Also: Where To Buy Calamari Steak
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
While ribeye is the traditional cut of beef for Philly Cheese Steak, I like to use flank steak in this pizza recipe because it has the perfect amount of fat/marbling to emerge wonderfully juicy and flavorful and is less expensive. The flank steak emerges buttery tender by slicing it against the grain and marinating it.
A Note On Making Steak For Philly Pizza
Leftover, refrigerated steak is perfect for this recipe because chilled steak is easy to slice.
For replicating the classic Philly steak seasoning taste, marinate your favorite steak recipe in worcestershire sauce with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Or just use a little salt and pepper to sear or grill an 8 oz steak to medium rare like I did in the coulotte steak recipe in the tutorial photos.
Read Also: Walco Boston Chop Steak Knife
How To Reheat Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
You can warm it in the oven by first placing the pizza slices on a baking sheet and covering it with aluminum foil. Place them on the lowest rack of your preheated oven, then bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 275 degrees F. You can also reheat your homemade pizza using a microwave without making it tough! Just make sure to microwave your pizza slices together with a cup thats half-full of water for around 30 seconds. The water makes sure that your microwave evenly heats the pizza, and not just the toppings or the crust.
Make your own Philly cheesesteak pizza with our Dominos-inspired copycat recipe! No need to order or line up for a taste of this delicious combo pizza.
What Goes On A True Philly Cheesesteak
A cheesesteak is a long, crusty roll filled with thinly sliced sautéed rib-eye beef and melted cheese. Generally, the cheese of choice is Cheez Whiz, but American and mild or sharp provolone are common substitutions. Other toppings may include fried onions, sautéed mushrooms, ketchup and hot or sweet peppers.
Recommended Reading: Country Fried Steak Sam’s Club
Philly Steak Pizza Ingredients
This cheesesteak pizza comes together so easily! Heres what youll need to make it:
- Steak marinade: The steak marinade is a combination of Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Sirloin or flank steak: Slice the steak very thinly against the grain.
- Alfredo sauce: Store-bought or homemade works perfectly!
- Mushrooms: Slice the mushrooms thinly so they bake fully in the oven.
- Red onion: I prefer red onion as it stands up to the other flavors better.
- Green pepper: Green bell peppers are my personal favorite when making Philly cheesesteak anything.
- Mozzarella cheese: Makes this alfredo sauce pizza ultra gooey.
- Pizza crust: Store-bought or homemade works. Your choice!
What Sauce Goes With Philly Cheesesteak
Peppers and onions with melted cheese is the only sauce you need. Yeah I like straight sriracha spread liberally on the bread. While it isnt a chipotle mayo sauce, I have been known to put garlic aioli on my cheese steaks. Cant go wrong with more garlic.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Make Steak Tender
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Like Dominos
Learn how to make a homemade Philly cheesesteak pizza that tastes just like Dominos with this copycat recipe. This recipe for Philly cheesesteak pizza is quick and easy to make! We keep things simple by having you use a readymade pizza dough. But in case you want to make your own pizza crust, we have this Yummy Crazy Crust Pizza Recipe you can follow.
While Dominos uses top sirloin for the pizza steak, you can opt for any type of beef you want. However, we recommend you use roast beef for that truly flavorful eating experience. We also have an easy but tasty Savory Beef Pot Roast in Crockpot Recipe you can make for this Philly cheesesteak recipe. For the cheese, we added cheddar on top of Dominos provolone cheese. And because some arent used to eating pizza without sauce, we let you use any pizza sauce you desire.
Were sure that youll enjoy making this Dominos-inspired cheesesteak pizza as much as you will eating them!
Why Its The #1 Homemade Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
- Fool-proof. Im Jenna, a pizza expert, and I will teach you all my tricks!
- Use leftover steak as a pizza topping. Or make steak for pizza .
- Learn what sauce on Philly cheese steak pizza tastes the best.
- Tastes better than delivery pizza like Dominos or Papa Johns Philly cheese steak pizza.
- Every bite is SO YUM. Seriously. Scroll to see the pics!
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Steak To Buy
Are You A Foodie Too
Hey home chefs, are you digging this Philly steak pizza? Find me on Instagram to show me your food. People message me photos of their pizzas and ask for tips all the time, so dont be shy!
Want to make restaurant-style food at home? I teach you how here on Sip Bite Go and with in-depth video guides on the Sip Bite Go channel.
What You Need To Make Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Pre-Cooked Pizza Crust
- Thinly Sliced Beef
- Smoked Provolone
- Ranch Dressing Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- Sour Cream
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Chives
Years ago, when The Engineer and I were just dating, we used to eat this mouth-watering concoction called a cheesesteak Stromboli. A little restaurant there in our college town made and delivered these golden crusted wonders. And I bet we ate about a hundred of them all dipped in a little cup of Ranch sauce while studying, on dates, after football games and for any myriad of other reasons we could dream up in between. But alas, the day did come when we graduated, got married and moved away.
As time went on, every now and then we would look at each other ask, Do you remember those Cheesesteak Stromboli we used to eat? Yes, all the time. Whats a girl to do when her man is needing some nourishment? Whip up her own recipe, I tell ya. And thats what I did. I starting making own pizza version of the sainted Stromboli.
Come game days, I would throw together my very own Philly Cheesesteak pizzas using a pre-baked pizza crust, a sauce made from a Ranch seasoning mix, and all the Philly Cheesesteak toppings I could manage to pile on.
You May Like: Skirt Steak Where To Buy
Recipe Variations To Try
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza boasts the same tantalizing toppings youll find in cheese steaks: thinly sliced steak, gooey melted cheese, sautéed onions, bell peppers and mushrooms .
You can also add any of these common toppings :
- sweet peppers
So, while Ive kept this Philly Cheese Steak Pizza recipe simple feel free to add whatever toppings your heart or belly desires!
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Philly Cheese Steak
- Traditionally the best cut of meat for a Philly cheese steak sandwich would be a ribeye.
- Since these pizza sticks are meant to be a quick and easy appetizer or snack, I opted for some deli sliced roast beef.
- Grab a good quality roast beef if you can for optimal flavor and texture.
- If you happen to have some leftover steak in your fridge, thinly slice it and substitute that for the roast beef!
Read Also: Door To Door Steak Sales
Philly Cheesesteaks With Garlic Cream Cheese Sauce
Mayo is a great option for a Philly cheesesteak sauce. If you are wanting a bit more adventure, add horseradish to the mix.
I like philly cheese steak sandwiches and have been making them at home recently. But now Im getting too used to them so I gotta add a twist. I googled this topic but cant really find anything about it. Is there a traditional dipping sauce that goes with these? If not, something youd recommend? Either something I could make or buy in a jar.
A Philly cheese steak is made up of thinly sliced steak served on a long sandwich roll. Philadelphia natives Pat and Harry Olivieri are credited with creating this regional favorite in the 1930s. The type of cheese that is used to make a cheese steak is often a topic of debate among foodies and those who live in the Philadelphia area.
This Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is made with marinated chuck roast shavings, caramelized onions, and peppers then broiled over toasted hoagie rolls with provolone cheese! Its one of the softest steak slices youll have in a Philly Cheesesteak!
Searching for What Sauce Goes On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza information? You are in the right place. At maarslet-pizza.dk you can find everything you want to know about What Sauce Goes On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza. And of cause you can order a tasty pizza! So find info and order pizza online!