Freshly Ground Black Pepper
There’s another debate about seasoning steaks, which relates to black pepper. One school of thought suggests that applying the pepper before cooking can cause the pepper to burn while you cook it, imparting a bitter flavor. Followers of this school suggest grinding pepper onto the steaks after searing them or right before serving. The other school simply seasons their steaks with freshly ground black pepper before cooking and doesn’t give it a second thought.
Who’s right? It’s not that the notion of burning pepper is complete nonsense in theory, yes, black pepper could burn. The problem with peppering midway through cooking is that the pepper granules might not stick to the meat. You could pass a pepper grinder at the table, but if you’re cooking outside and eating in an informal style, this may not be feasible. So unless you’ve detected a burnt pepper flavor on your steaks in the past, by all means, season your steaks with freshly ground black pepper before cooking them.
Tips For The Perfect Spice Blend
- This beef seasoning will stay fresh in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 6 months. I often make a double or triple batch so that I always have some on hand.
- Its definitely worth seeking out smoked paprika for this recipe. The smoked version adds a ton of flavor and is readily available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
- This rub can be used on other types of meat such as ribs, chicken, salmon, or other cuts of beef such as brisket.
- I recommend using freshly ground black pepper for maximum flavor.
Can I Use Just Salt And Pepper To Season Steak
Absolutely! In fact, this is what many people even top chefs sometimes choose to do with steak. A steak seasoning isnt always necessary, but its one way to switch up the flavor of steak a bit.
The most important tip to keep in mind is to use salt. Even if you dont want to add anything else to your steak, still use salt. Itll help break down the meat fibers to make a more tender steak while giving the beef extra flavor.
Don’t Miss: Montreal Steak Seasoning Ingredients Mccormick
What Cut Of Meat Is Sirloin
Sirloin steak comes from the rear back portion of the cow, and comes in two parts the top sirloin and the bottom sirloin. The top sirloin is the more tender cut, and is typically labeled as top sirloin on the packaging. Bottom sirloin is less tender, and is typically just referred to as sirloin or sirloin steak. Both types of sirloin are quite tender and flavorful, and benefit from a short cooking time.
Also Check: Samâs Club Strip Steak
Adding Salt Right Before Grilling Steak Vs Seasoning Several Minutes Prior To Grilling
When youre making grilled steak, should you salt and season the steak right before placing it on the grill or allow the seasoning to sit on the steak for 15 to 30 minutes? We get this question a lot and its a highly debated one in the steak world.
First, a little background on the science of salting a steak:
The whole process from salting to reabsorption takes around 40-45 minutes. And you want the steak to pull that moisture back in before cooking so its not dried out. Therefore, the optimal amount of time to give your steak after seasoning and before cooking it on the grill is 40-45 minutes. Many recipes do call for about 15-30 minutes to help you save some time. And you still can get a juicy steak by doing this. But if you want the best results, wait the full time.
Alternatively, if youre pressed on time, you can season immediately before grilling steak. The salt wont have time to pull out steak juices, so all the natural juices will stay inside while you grill. Just be sure to get a sear quickly to help hold them in.
Ever wonder how the best way to season those succulent USDA Prime Steaks you just bought? Chef Bind shows us how to season the Perfect Steak:
Video Transcript: How to Perfectly Season Your Steak
Read Also: Sabatier Steak Knife Set 6 Pc
Don’t Miss: Whole Foods Grass Fed Steak
How To Season A Steak
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 14 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.There are 7 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.The wikiHow Culinary Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 939,790 times.
A great beefsteak with a crispy outer crust and tender interior starts with the right seasoning. Steak seasoning technique involves accurate timing and even meat coverage. To achieve a flavorful coating, use a blend of spices and oil.
Preheat The Gas Grill
To cook the perfect steak tip, your grill needs to be hot I mean really hot! You want to sear the outside of the meat so it holds the flavorful juice inside until you bite into it. Therefore, your grill needs to be preheated on high for 10-15 minutes.
The objective is to preheat your grill until it reaches 500Â°F.
Read Also: Jack Linkâs Steak Strips
Also Check: Steak And Shake Grilled Cheese
How Long Will Steak Seasoning Last
If you keep moisture out of your steak seasoning by putting it in a glass or plastic container with a tight lid, then you could continue using the same batch of seasoning for as much as six months after you make it using old herb and spice containers from grocery stores works wonderfully.
Just be sure to store them somewhere dark and dry for maximum shelf life. Consider trying steak seasoning with any of these delicious steak recipes:
Craving More Steak Recipes
- Steak Fajitas | Here is a homemade fajita recipe that uses juicy steak, tons of flavor and wrapped in warm tortillas.
- Asparagus Steak Oscar Recipe | Surf and turf at its finest, this recipe is loaded with incredible flavor.
- Slow Cooker Pepper Steak | Here you have a slow cooker recipe that is steak, peppers, and served over a bed of rice.
You May Like: Flat Iron Steak Butcher Box
What Seasonings To Use On Steak
There are countless options to choose from when it comes to applying seasoning to steak, but we have the favorites below. These go great with different types of cuts.
1. Cinnamon- Cinnamon used on steak helps keep the meat moist by increasing blood flow to the surface area. This allows the meat to stay tender throughout the entire cooking process.
2. Rosemary- Rosemary contains volatile oils that impart a rich flavor to food. It blends well with other seasonings yet works best as an independent meat ingredient. One word of caution rosemary has a strong odor, so make sure not to overdo it.
3. Chili powder- This fiery kick adds a nice flavor to any dish that uses chili powder, especially beef. The color of the powder also makes it easy to see if youve added enough spices to suit your taste.
4. Cumin- Cumin goes well with most dishes. When applied on the surface of the steak, it imparts a rich aroma that complements the natural flavor of beef. Just be careful not to add too much since excess cumin can become overly spicy.
5. Red pepper flakes- If you enjoy Asian flavors in your food, red pepper flakes are a must-have. They give a nice burst of flavor to many foods and pair very well with beef.
The Best Steak Seasoning Blend
While its no secret that a delicious steak is always awesome, this steak dry rub takes your steak from good to great!
Plus, its so simple and easy to make! Grab the spices and mix them up thats it!
I love simple recipes like this because if Im entertaining they are easy to make, plus if I want a quick steak on the grill during the weeknight its super simple to whip this up and I dont have to worry about marinating and all of that business.
Lets face it, sometimes Im just not on top of things like I should be and this homemade Steak Seasoning takes a good steak to a whole new level!
Whether you want a ribeye, filet mignon, strip steak, flank steak really, guys, this seasoning mix is perfect with any cut!
Read Also: Kansas City Steaks Baked Potatoes
Can You Make These Steaks Into Shish Kabobs
Yes! Sirloin is one of the best cuts of steak for making shish kabobs. When using this marinade to make kabobs, I recommend cubing the steak, then adding it to the marinade. This means, more of the steak surface area gets to soak up the delicious marinade.
After marinating the cubes of steak for at least 20 minutes, skewer the steak by itself or with veggies like bell peppers and onions. Grill the steak shish kabobs over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, flip and continue grilling for an additional 4-5 minutes.
Read Also: Umai Dry Aged Steak Bags
My Favorite Steak Recipes
- How to Cook Steak on the Stove Find out how easy it is to make steak year-round with this step by step guide to cooking steak perfectly on the stovetop!
- Tender Steak Sliders These steak sliders start with a flavorful marinade, cooked to perfection, and combined with the most amazing flavors for the perfect sandwich!
- Incredible Red Wine Sauce for Steak An incredibly easy, 3 ingredient, steak sauce or steak gravy recipe that will take your steak dinner to the next level!
- The Easiest Steak Kabobs dont miss this one! Youll crave these easy grilled steak kabobs, bursting with flavor in every bite!
Read Also: Beef Loin Tri Tip Steak
Can I Use This Seasoning On Other Proteins
Absolutely. This would be really great for chicken, fish, and pork chops as well. Once you make it once and get that taste, youll agree.
Just make certain that you give the seasoning time to marinate into the meats that youre adding it to. We recommend seasoning your steak and letting it rest to come to room temperature for about 40 minutes before you prepare it.
If you have additional questions about this steak seasoning recipe please comment below and we will do our best to answer!
Are you ready for an amazing steak dinner? I promise it will be when you use this easy spice blend. Youll skip the expensive ones at the store once you try it. Enjoy!
What’s In This Spice Blend
Heres whats in this blend:
- Smoked paprika, for a little bit of smoke.
- Dark brown sugar, for a hint of sweetness and molasses.
- Onion and garlic powder, for some aromatic notes.
- Oregano, for a touch of herbal greenness.
- Cumin, for a little earthiness.
- Cayenne, which brings a slight heat but not enough to light your tongue on fire.
Also Check: Sirloin Steak Price Per Pound
What Seasoning To Put On Steak
Donât Miss: Cooking Sirloin Steak On Grill
Why This Simple Steak Seasoning Is Awesome
- Made with pantry ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- Its so versatile- you can even put it on veggies!
- It is long lasting and can last for up to six months.
- Not only will these spices add layers to your steak, or anything else, but it will make it very flavorful all while keeping it moist, tender, and juicy!
Recommended Reading: Walco Boston Chop Steak Knife
More Spice Blend Recipes
- Allspice A simple recipe blending 3 staple baking ingredients to create this amazing spice blend!
- Everything Bagel Seasoning This can be used for so much more than bagels. Click through to find out why you need it in your life!
- Taco Seasoning A naturally gluten free recipe, this taco seasoning is perfect to flavor all your favorite Mexican dishes!
- Mulling Spices The best fall spice blend made with only 4 ingredients. Flavor your wine, coffee, or use it as a potpourri.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Another must have spice for all your fall and holiday baking!
- Blackened Seasoning Learn how to make your own blackened seasoning to add the most amazing flavor with the right amount of heat and kick.
- Poultry Seasoning Take your chicken to the next level with this simple but bursting with flavor poultry seasoning.
- Cinnamon Sugar Easily mix up this classic recipe with only 2 ingredients. The uses are endless for this spice! Top your toast, coffee, and favorite desserts.
- Italian Seasoning Blend This is a zesty Italian blend of spices that works well in pasta sauces, roasted veggies, and more.
- Ranch Seasoning Blend so good in dips, added to veggies, salads, make your own dressings, etc.
Want more? Receive the best ideas directly to your inbox and connect on , , , and Pinterest!
What Steaks Are Best For Grilling
The list can go on and on. Reaching for a quality steak will give you that tender and flavorful steak you want.
We generally reach for KC strips or Ribeyes when we do steaks on the grill. But feel free to use your favorite cut of meat.
Depending on where you live will also play into what is available in your area. Pair your steak with this summer berry salad!
Recommended Reading: Steak And Cheddar Hot Pocket
Should You Put Pepper On Steak Before Cooking
One school of thought suggests that applying the pepper before cooking can cause the pepper to burn while you cook it, imparting a bitter flavor. So unless you ve detected a burnt pepper flavor on your steaks in the past, by all means, season your steaks with freshly ground black pepper before cooking them.
Carne Asada Ribeyesteak Seasoning
If you love Mexican cuisine and you want that amazing taco-flavored meat in your steak, then this is the perfect seasoning for you.
It is one of the best seasoning for steak on grill as you get the nice spicy garlic flavour from your ribeye steak.
It helps put more flavors into the meat and tenderize it. It is one of the best steak seasoning recipe for grilling in my opinion.
Combine two tablespoons of chili powder, one tablespoon of ground ancho chile, and a teaspoon each of ground cumin, oregano, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and crushed garlic.
After covering the steak with the dry seasonings, you can even help the flavors get into the meat by adding a little bit of lime juice and accentuating the flavors with a quarter cup of minced cilantro.
Steak Seasoning Rub For Grilling
This is the best steak seasoning rub to use on steaks cooked on the grill. Personally, I think the ‘sweet paprika’ is the secret ingredient that makes this rub stand out, however you can substitute regular paprika in your dry rub recipe if you really insist. If you like the rub to be a bit sweeter, add 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar, however, it will scorch more easily.
Grilled steaks have infinitely more flavor then pan-seared steak. Don’t be intimidated by grilling, check out my write-up on How to Grill Steak. I personally use a Weber Grill and I have really been giving it a workout this summer.
Grilling Tip: I keep aluminum foil on hand whenever I am grilling steak. Not only is it great for wrapping vegetables to cook on the grill without burning, but I also like using it to transport meat to and from the grill. When lining a tray, it makes for exceptionally effortless cleanup!
How To Salt A Steak
January 11, 2022
Youve read and seen how to season a steak dozens of time, you cant seem to get it just the way you like it.
Salt is more than just seasoning. Its an essential element for any dish, as it intensifies aroma, balances out other flavors, and tenderizes the meat. Seasoning your steak just right can help draw out the juices and create that crisp seared crust we all love so much.
But seasoning too soon or too much can hurt the steak too.
This article discusses how to salt a steak properly by explaining how much salt to use, when to salt, and what kind of salt to use.
How Much Salt
You have your steak sitting in front of you. Now, youre trying to figure out how much salt needs to go on it. The answer? More than you think.
A good piece of steak is often quite thick. This means when youre salting the steak, youre only seasoning the surface, leaving a significant portion of the meat unseasoned. If youre only eating the surface of the meat, it may be too salty. But youre not. Youre also eating the unseasoned part of the steak.
If youre cooking a ribeye, youll want to season that more than if you were to cook a flank steak. So, dont be afraid to generously coat the surface of your steak with salt. Make sure theres an even layer of salt on both sides. If its a thinner cut, reduce the amount of salt just by a little.
When To Salt
We recently dry brined a prime rib over night and the results where delicious.
If Youre Salting Immediately Before Grilling
Recommended Reading: Reed And Barton Steak Knives