What Is Strip Steak
A strip steak is cut from the short loin of the cow. This muscle doesnt do too much work, making the strip steak a rather tender cut of meat. Its not quite as tender as the nearby tenderloin, but its still a great option for a nice, typically boneless steak that cooks evenly and quickly with a great beef flavor and nice chew.
Strip steaks have many names, including Kansas-city steak, New York strip steak, top loin, and a hotel-style steak. No matter what you call them, they are delicious and tender and a popular restaurant steak. Strip steaks are best when they are well-marbled with nice, white fat weaving through the muscle of the steak.
Steak Battle: New York Strip Steaks Vs Ribeye Steaks
Choosing the right steak is easy but not always straightforward. Some might think one cut of meat isnt different than the other, but thats not the case. Youre looking at marbling, fat content, fat trimmings, thickness, and other elements that go into picking out the perfect steak.
Choosing a grill-worthy cut of meat can make all the difference in your meal, but buying one doesnt have to be confusing. In this article, were putting two amazing steaks against each other to see which makes the cut .
Well look at the similarities, differences, nutritional value, and price of the two heavyweight steak champions the New York strip and the ribeye.
How To Cook New York Strip Steak
You can always use the Reverse Sear method for New York strip steaks , but that process takes quite a bit of time and effort. Sometimes the best things in life are simple and allow the flavor of the beef itself to shine through. I think the best way to cook a NY strip steak is with salt, pepper, a little butter, and a screaming hot grill.
Heres my method for cooking New York strip steak:
You May Like: Dry Aged Steak Las Vegas
How To Cook New York Steak On The Stove To Oven
No grill, no problem! For the pan-sear to oven method, make sure your butter is at room temperature so it melts easily. Heres how to cook a Strip Steak perfectly indoors:
Tips For Grilling The Perfect Ny Strip Steak
Know your steaks temperature: Grilling the perfect steak with consistency is impossible without using a reliable meat thermometer. Trust me, this is the one tool I talk about most, and its a must-have for anyone who cooks.
Be Careful: We are cooking at extremely high temperatures on this one so use a long set of tongs to flip your steak.
Be Patient: Because of the extremely high temperatures used for grilling this steak, the meat will be very tight coming off the grill. The rest period is a must youll lose all the meats juices if you slice it too early.
Recommended Reading: Walmart Steaks In A Box
Knowing The Right Temperature Is Critical To Avoid Ruining Your Strip Steak
There are some folks that have a perfect understanding for exactly how long to wait before flipping a steak or taking it off the fire. In fact, there are dozens of methods that I’ve been taught to estimate the doneness without slicing into the beef and letting the juices out. Nothing compared to using a meat thermometer though and so this is a critical piece of equipment that you must have in your kitchen. I recently got the MEATER+ sent to me by the brand it is a lifesaver … er meatsaver?
You will find some differences out there as to the exact temperatures but this is what I generally consider to be what most people would expect.
Rare – 125 F
Medium Rare – 135 F
Medium – 145 F
Medium Well – 150 F
Well Done – 160 F
I prefer medium rare, because it still has plenty of nice red juices and when properly cooked that leaves a beautiful gradation of colors from the rich brown/black crust to the warm pink center.
When cooking your strip steak, it is critical that you take into account that the center of your steak will continue cooking for a few moments after you take it off the heat. This means that while you might want a 135 F temperature, you should potentially remove the steak from the heat at 130 F instead and let it rest. Luckily with a meat thermometer such as MEATER+ it takes care of all that for you and tells you the exact moment to remove it from the heat.
New York Strip Steaks Bathed In Harissa Butter Are Juicy Buttery Tender And Dripping With Flavor In Every Caramelized Charred Crust Bite It Requires Minimal Seasonings And Simple Prep
New York Strip Steak is a popular cut of beef because its SO easy to cook, richly beefy, and always melt-in-your mouth tender wrapped in its signature smoky, caramelized, charred crust. This recipe will teach you how to make the best Strip Steaks with a few simple seasonings, compound butter and the option to either grill the steaks OR pan-sear in a hot skillet and finish in the oven. Use these cooking methods with any seasonings you like or I highly recommend my sensational ground cumin, sweet paprika, salt and pepper spice rub and spicy, garlic, lemon infused harissa butter for the ultimate restaurant-fabulous steak experience. And the best part of this New York Strip Steak recipe? Its SO easy with practically zero clean up! Season, rest, then grill thats it! Serve your NY Strip Steaks with your favorite sides like cucumber tomato salad, twice baked potatoes and fruit salad and enjoy the flood of compliments!
I love grilling steak outdoors in the summer and sizzling in a hot cast iron skillet in the winter. If you also love steaks, check out: sirloin steaks with Cajun Butter,, carne asada, street tacos, mojo steak tacos, steak fajitas, Cajun steak, classic steak kabobs, Brazilian steak kabobs, etc. and oof course this brand new strip steak recipe!
You May Like: Sam’s Club Steak Prices
My New York Strip Steak Recipe: Cast Iron Pan Fry And Oven Finish
I get a cast iron pan smoking hot and then sear the steak on one side, turn it over and stick it in the oven. Make sure you put on your exhaust fan and open windows or your smoke alarm will probably go off.
- Salt the steak 24 hours in advance. It goes into the meat overnight, adds moisture and enhances flavor
- Dont cover steaks in the fridge. The outside of the steak should be dry if you want to sear them. Put them on a rack so both sides dry.
- Make sure the steak is dry, before searing. When ready to cook, I used to think my steak needed to come down to room temperature, but I now find that I get a better sear with a cold steak, as long as the steak is dry. Its the water that comes out of the steak that prevents that nice sear, also known as the mailard effect.
- Start with a very hot cast iron pan.
- Do not add oil until pan is hot.
- Use a round grill press, if you can, but no worries if you dont have one.
How To Grill New York Strip Steak
New York Strip Steak is one of the easiest cuts of steak you can cook and is even called the ultimate grillers steak, because it cooks super quickly and evenly. A bit of seasonings, a hot grill and a meat thermometer are all you need for a beautifully tender inside with a caramelized crust. Heres how to grill NY Strip:
- Let the steaks rest at room temperature for at least 40 minutes before grilling. You will use this time to trim the steaks of excess fat and season the steaks.
- Pat the steaks dry, rub them with a high smoking point oil, followed by the spice rub.
- Make the compound butter while the steaks are resting. Mix all of the harissa butter ingredients together in a medium bowl. Transfer the butter mixture to a piece or plastic wrap. Form it into a log as your roll up the plastic wrap. Refrigerate until semi-firm or until ready to use.
- Heat thegrill to high-heat, about 600 degrees F, clean and grease the grates.
- Grill the steaks on the hot grill until slightly charred on the first side, about 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the steaks over, over and continue to grill until the steaks reach desired temperature, about 3-5 more minutes, for medium-rare.
- Remove the steaks from the grill,and top with the harissa butter.
- Let the steaks rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Don’t Miss: Best Steak For Steak Burgers
Pan Seared Oven Baked New York Strip Steaks
So how did we make these moist and juicy steaks?
First, choose a high quality steak. You want to purchase a Prime cut of meat if at all possible.
If you cant find a Prime cut from your butcher or grocery store, then choose a Choice cut.
And you are looking for New York Strip Steaks that are about 1 inch in thickness.
About 30 minutes before you are ready to beginning cooking, remove them from the refrigerator. You want the steaks near room temperature before putting them in a hot skillet.
Turn on your oven and heat your skillet over medium-high heat. Next, melt the butter and season both sides of your steaks with salt and pepper.
Sear the steaks on both sides for 3-4 minutes per side. You want the outside of your steaks seared to the final color for serving.
Finish The Steaks In The Oven
Then place your oven-safe skillet directly into the preheated oven. However, if you are not sure if your skillet is oven safe, you can place the steaks and juices into a preheated casserole dish or pan instead.
Although, I would definitely recommend using a cast iron skillet if at all possible. It provides the best cooking environment and flavor as compared to other pans.
Allow the New York Strip Steaks to cook for 5-9 minutes. The actual time will depend on the thickness and how you like your steaks cooked.
For me, it took about 7 minutes to get our steaks done to medium. However, I would highly recommend using a digital thermometer to get your steaks to the desired temperature.
What Is A New York Steak
The New York Steak is also known as New York strip steak, ambassador steak, strip loin steak, club steak, or the Omaha Strip. But its most commonly known as the New York Steak. They are the queen of steak in that they are usually not too expensive, they cook up fast, and they are insanely delicious.
- What Kind of Cut is it? Cut from the area of the cow below the backbone, NY strip steaks are tender, lean, and typically boneless. It has a good amount of marbling, which lends a ton of flavor to this evenly, but its not quite as tender as a ribeye or a tenderloin.
- Whats in a Name: The strip steak is called after the city it originated in. New York is known for its steak houses and this cut of beef was one of the firsts and remains a favorite.
- What to Look For: Look for New York Steak that is bright in color with tons of marbling. This what gives the strip steak its flavor and tenderness. Look for a steak thats 1/2-1 inch in thickness. Remember the thicker the steak the longer itll take to cook.
- Nutritional Value of a New York Steak: A 6-oz portion packs in 320 calories, 12 grams of fat, 50 grams of protein, 3.2 milligrams iron, and 9 milligrams zinc. Id say thats a pretty good steak!
You May Like: Wusthof Classic Steak Knives Set Of 4
Temperatures For Your Ideal New York Steak
When you cook a steak, the best way to check the temperature is to use an instant read probe style thermometer. Stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to read its temperature. Remember that the best thing you can do for a steak, or any piece of meat is to let it rest. When it rests it will continue to rise in temperature, about 3-4 degrees at least. You will want to remove your steak right before it reaches its optimum temperature and let it finish cooking while it rests. This will result in the most succulent steak. I dont recommend cooking your New York Steak above 150 degrees, as it will become dry and tough.
- Rare: 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees Fahrenheit
- For Medium: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Well: 150 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well Done: 160 degrees Fahrenheit
How To Store And Reheat Ny Strip Steak
- Storage: let steak cool to room temperature then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Microwave: its best to slice the steak before reheating so it heats evenly. Transfer sliced steak to a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds then at 15 second intervals as needed.
- Skillet: warm sliced steak in a skillet with a drizzle of oil or a slab of butter over medium heat, stirring often until warmed through.
- Oven: transfer steak to a baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
Read Also: Flat Iron Steak Butcher Box
Now You Are Ready To Cut And Serve Your Perfect New York Strip Steak
If you’ve done things right this steak should slice easily with a sharp knife and be ready to serve. It should have a nice warm red center and plenty of juices that ooze out from every cut you make.
All you need to do now is add a bottle of wine and some sides such as green beans and smashed potatoes to complete the experience.
When you consider that a steak dinner like this would easily cost $50 per person plus wine and tip, this is also a great way to save money. For instance, the steaks from Niman Farm can be purchased online and are only $26.99 $28.99 , but you can use my link and safe 15% when you order right now. With savings like that it means you can have the perfect steak at home twice as often!
It’s Time To Start Cooking Your Steak
This method that I’m about to share is more complex than some people might want but the extra effort is more than worth it. We’re going to sear both sides of the steak to get that beautiful crust and then pop it in the oven to finish roasting it till the temperature gets to the perfect level.
There is nothing better to cook the perfect steak at home than a medium-sized cast iron skillet. Make sure to get a good quality one but don’t get suckered into paying for something fancy. Cast iron skillets are extremely utilitarian and why you could get one from Le Creuset, you can’t beat the classic Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. This is by far the most useful pan in my kitchen since it is able to maintain heat way better than aluminum or even my expensive stainless steel pans.
Pre-heat the oven to 425 and as that begins to heat up, you’ll want to put a layer of vegetable oil in the bottom of your cast iron skillet and turn the heat to high.
The key here is to get your skillet as hot as possible so that the instant your strip steak hits the pan it creates a beautiful sear.
Now take the tongs and place your steak into the pan facing away from you. This will help reduce any splatters and if you’ve dried the steak properly there should be no “pops” of oil.
After approximately one minute, you’ll want to flip the steaks and quickly sear the edges before placing the non-seared side back in the pan to cook.
Also Check: Organic Grass Fed Ribeye Steak