Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
We love to make our own taco seasoning, and you can find our recipe HERE. Not only is making your own mix less expensive than buying the pre-made mixes at the grocery store, it tastes better too. Plus, since you are the one making it, you know exactly what the ingredients in it are. Our recipe for homemade taco seasoning is super simple, and you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry already. Youll need dried minced onion , salt, paprika, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and crushed red pepper . Our recipe makes ½ cup of seasoning, and you only need 1-2 tablespoon per pound of meat. It will last up to a year on the shelf if stored in an airtight container.
What Is The Difference Between Street Tacos And Regular Tacos
Street Tacos have gotten more and more popular over the years. The difference between these and regular tacos is that these are typically in smaller tortillas. The reason they are smaller is that when people ordered them off of the vendor carts or food trucks, they wanted them to be able to hold the taco with one hand while walking down the street. Hence the name street tacos.
Typically filled completely full of ingredients street tacos are never lacking in flavor! Street tacos are different because you typically dont have any lettuce or tomatoes. But dont think that this makes street tacos complicated to make. In fact, I love that these tacos can be prepared ahead of time with the marinated steak. Because of this, it is a recipe thats so easy to throw together once it is time for dinner! This meal takes just 3 easy steps! You marinate the steak, cook it up on your stove, and add in the fresh toppings. You will not want to stop after just one and you are going to love these as much as I do!!
What Can I Make Ahead
This steak taco recipe comes together super quickly but you can still get a jump start on dinner by prepping the steak and the toppings:
- Steak: chop the steak and toss it with the spice rub. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 48 hours before cooking. Remove steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Poblano crema: can be made and stored up to 3 days in advance.
- Salsa: can be made and stored up to 3 days in advance.
- Avocado crema or guacamole: can be made and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days IF you transfer the crema/guacamole to an airtight container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the crema before adding the lid. This will delay oxidization/browning that occurs when the surface of the crema comes in contact with air.
Don’t Miss: Basic Steak Marinade For Grilling
The Best Steak For Tacos
Any cut of beef will do, actually! I use flank steak for this recipe . Other great options include skirt steak, sirloin or ribeye .
Tougher cuts of meat will require longer marinating in order to tenderize the meat, but marinating is the real trick to perfection in this recipe. This recipe offers two ways to grill the steak, on the grill, and on the stovetop. Either way, its easy peasy!
Read Also: Kansas City Steak Company Kansas City Ks
Simply Organic Spicy Taco Seasoning Mix
Everyone agreed this was the most distinctive seasoning blend out of all five choices. That’s because it’s very spice-forward and leans toward the “spicy” side. While it was ranked mid-range for some who thought it to be a bit too powerful, others fawned over it and marked it as their top choice. Because it was pretty polarizing depending on your spice preference, it landed our number two spot.
Recommended Reading: How To Grill The Perfect Medium Steak
How To Make Steak Tacos
Are you ready to see just how easy this steak taco recipe is?! Your mind will be blown!
- Season steak and let rest. First, cut the steak into 1/2-inch cubes. While the steak is still on the cutting board, pat it dry then season with all of the steak seasonings. At this point, youll want to let it rest for at least 15 minutes to come to room temperature, up to 60 minutes. I personally find the steak to be juiciest after letting rest for over 40 minutes.
- Cook steak. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add half of the steak and let sear for 2 minutes then continue to cook while stirring the steak just until browned . Repeat with remaining steak.
- Add toppings. Now, all thats left to do is pile the steak in warm tortillas along with all your favorite toppings!
How To Store And Reheat Steak Tacos
- Storage: transfer steak to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Microwave: transfer steak to a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel to keep it from drying out. Microwave at 30 seconds intervals until warmed through.
- Skillet: heat one tablespoon oil or butter in a skillet over medium heat. The fat will help the steak stay tender. Once hot, add steak and cook undisturbed for a couple minutes, then begin to cook and stir until warmed through. Take care not to overcook or it can become dry.
- Oven: transfer steak to a baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or just until warmed through.
Also Check: How Do I Cook Steak On The Grill
Grilling The Steak For Steak Tacos
- Make sure the grill is completely heated before you add the steak. The high heat sears the surface of the meat, resulting in a juicier steak with an amazing char .
- Let the steak rest before slicing. Once the steak is grilled, it needs a bit of time to rest so the juices can re-distribute evenly throughout the meat. I recommend loosely covering the steak in foil and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it this is the perfect time to whisk together the sauce.
- Slice the cooked steak against the grain.Heres more on that! With Steak Tacos, its especially important to cut against the grain so it isnt difficult to chew with the other taco ingredients.
Yummy Varitations Of Street Tacos
The best part about these tacos is that you can make them completely your own through toppings or even changing up the dish! Here are a few yummy ideas for you!
- Dont want to use it in a tortilla? No problem! Put this marintaed meat on top of the salad greens of your choice, add in your favorite toppings and you have a delicious steak taco salad!
- Did someone say guacamole?? Try making this homemade guacamole and adding it as a topping to your tacos!
- Make a rice bowl: Use this delicious meat on top of some mexican rice and it will fill you right up!
- Use larger tortillas: If you are stuffing your tacos too full, your tortilla might break! You can use a larger tortilla to fit it all if thats easier for you!
- Different meat: If you cant to change these up, try using some chicken breast instead!
Also Check: What Kind Of Sauce On Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Facts About Ohio Beef
- Make Taco Tuesday nutritious and delicious by preparing beef! A 3oz. serving of beef provides 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients, like B vitamins, all wrapped up into one tasty package.
- Beef is BIG on protein, providing 25 grams per 3oz. serving or about half of your bodys daily needs. Adding high-protein foods, like beef, to your diet will help with weight management and will keep you feeling energized all day.
- Ohio beef farmers are passionate about protecting the environment and providing excellent care for their cattle. Meet Scott and Sasha Rittenhouse, a millennial beef farming couple from New Carlisle, Ohio, who make caring for their cattle the No. 1 priority on their farm.
- 98 percent of Ohios 17,000 beef farms are family-owned and operated. Beef cattle can be found in every Ohio county.
Summarized Tips On Why You Should Buy From An Online Marketplace
In the year 2022, you have a multitude of options every time you look to buy a new product. You have traditional retailers, department stores, online marketplaces, etc. We believe that for your next purchase, you should seriously consider online marketplaces.
Online platforms come with loads of facilities designed to make your entire shopping experience better. They are reputable, well regarded, and provide you with the opportunity to shop from your home and get the best deals.
A very important thing you get when buying from an online platform is flexibility and convenience. In our busy lives, it is quite hard to find the time to visit a physical store. Meanwhile, you can buy anything you want, including marinade for steak tacos from an online store, while you are taking a break at work or doing your chores.
As it should be clear to you by now, there are a multitude of benefits when you go with an online platform over physical stores. Some of the benefits are summarized below in a few key points:
You May Like: Where To Buy Delmonico Steak
How To Cook Steak For Tacos Perfectly
Heres exactly how to cook your steak:
- Lightly cover your steak with oil before dropping it on your grill or cast iron to prevent sticking. If you marinate your steak with oil , you can probably skip this step.
- Do not flip the steak more than once. Every flip is a chance for precious liquid and flavor compounds to escape, plus you reduce charring.
- Use a thermometer to get the exact temperature you want, but 5 minutes on each side is a good place to start for most steaks around a pound if youre feeling more daring!
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes
- Cut across the grain into thin strips.
As a reminder, here are the temperature ranges for steaks:
- Rare: 130 degrees
- Medium-well: 150 degrees
- Well-done: 160 degrees
We find that skirt and hanger steaks taste great right at or just below medium. They get super tough when closer to rare and when cooked above medium-well. Its a tight window but worth aiming for.
Note: your steak will continue to cook when you take it off the grill, so take it off 2-3 degrees before your desired temperature!
What Toppings Go On Street Tacos
Traditionally, chopped cilantro and small diced onion go on top of street tacos. I have also grown fond of a sprinkling of queso fresco or cotija, which are both white mexican cheeses that crumble when pressed in your fingers. Limes are served on the side to squeeze directly on top of the taco for a pop of acidity.
The creamy green taco sauce that you see drizzled on top of the street tacos is my Creamy Jalapeno Sauce Recipe, which Ive made previously on the blog. Its an at home version of the spicy jalapeno puree you see at taco stands in Texas and throughout mexican cooking.
Read Also: What Is The Best Way To Cook A Ribeye Steak
How To Make Flank Steak Tacos
Start your flank steak tacos by creating your spice rub.
In a dish large enough to fit most of the steak, add the cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and pepper.
Mix all of the spices together to make your dry rub, and get your grill or broiler heating up to medium-high heat.
Then youll make sure to coat your steak evenly on both sides, let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, then throw it on the grill for about 4 minutes a side for medium-rare, or until youve reached desired doneness.
Next, take your sliced onion and red pepper and drizzle them with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then wrap up in a tin foil boat. Toss them on the grill in the tin foil for about 10 minutes.
Once you remove the steak from the grill or oven, let it rest for a few minutes, then slice it into thin strips.
Remove the veggies and theyll be slightly caramelized and delicious. You can toss your tortillas on the grill for about a minute as well to warm them up, or warm them on the stove.
Youre ready to assemble your tacos! Take the warmed tortillas, and layer steak, grilled veggies, and any toppings of choice.
Finish them off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and cilantro, and enjoy your Flank Steak Tacos!
How To Season Carne Asada Tacos
- Salt and pepper
Aside from the carne asada marinade using garlic plus lime and orange juice, all you need to season the beef is cumin and salt and pepper. My simple Carne Asada Seasoning is close to traditional Mexican recipes, with a flavor profile complementing the beef rather than overpowering it.
Recommended Reading: How Much To Franchise A Steak And Shake
Make Sure You’re Shopping For The Best Taco Seasoning Options For The Most Satisfying Taco Tuesdays Yet
Taste of Home
While there are plenty of unique spice blends out there for stocking your spice rack, we bet theres one you always have on hand: taco seasoning.
This envelope of spicesincluding cumin, chili powder, onion and paprikais the special ingredient you need to transform a pound of ground beef into an easy supper or a container of cream cheese into a tempting taco dip.
Yet each time we venture to the store, we look at the aisle full of these spice packets and seem to grab one at random. Since each envelope is priced around a dollar and advertises similar ingredients, it can be really hard to choose the brand that suits your taco preferences and cooking style.
But you know our Test Kitchen wants to know whats best! So our crew tested nine popular brands.
Best Bulk Buy: Tones Taco Seasoning Blend
Taste of Home
Tones taco seasoning had a very tomato-forward taste and made a nice sauce when combined with ground beef. Its just the right blend when making big batches of our baked beef tacos, chicken tostadas or convenient walking tacos .
Besides tomatoes, youll also pick up on notes of onion, cayenne, garlic and oregano. These spices are a great mix whether you prefer easy ground beef tacos, chicken tacos or even fish tacos. The flavors here are very versatile.
You May Like: Omaha Steaks Free Burgers Coupon
How To Make Poblano Crema
Slice the poblano peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins. Press them, insides face down, on a baking sheet so that they lay flat . Broil about 6-8 inches away from the broiler until the peppers are wrinkled and charred on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
Transfer peppers to a paper bag to steam for 15 minutes . Peel away and discard the charred the skins. Transfer the peppers to your blender followed by the rest of the poblano crema ingredients. Blend until smooth, then adjust to taste.
Steak Taco Recipe Tips
- For perfectly cooked steak, pull your beef off of the heat 5 degrees below your preferred degree of doneness and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Take a look at my Steak Temperature Chart for more info.
- Always use a meat thermometer when checking if your beef is done.
- You don’t need a grill to make this recipe. You can also use a cast iron skillet on the stove.
You May Like: Snake River Farms Tomahawk Steak
Corn And Herb Topping
Fresh herbs and fresh corn combine to create a show-stopping Steak Taco salsa topping! The corn is grilled to add a smoky flavor and crisp texture. Once the corn has been cooked and cooled, cut off the kernels and toss with fresh herbs and a few other ingredients to create the ultimate tacos topping.
- If you dont have access to fresh corn, use frozen corn instead and char it on the stovetop or give it a quick roast in the oven.
- A ripe avocado adds an immense amount of creaminess to these tacos. To make sure an avocado is ripe, press gently around the stem and if it gives, the avocado is ripe .
Carne Asada Steak Seasoning
Want your steak to taste like the filling of your favorite taco? Marinate it in this flavorful marinade! Plan to cook this steak in a cast-iron skillet.
Whisk together two tablespoons chili powder with a tablespoon ground ancho chile, two teaspoons each ground cumin and Mexican oregano, a teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper. Then add two cloves of crushed garlic, the juice of one lime and a quarter cup of minced cilantro. Let your steaks marinade for two hours in the refrigerator.
Also Check: Steak Cooking Stones For Sale
Other Uses For The Spice Blend
In addition to being the best seasoning for steak, you can use the seasoning in other delicious ways, too.Here are a few ideas: