Differences In Shipping & Delivery
Omaha Steaks offers a larger delivery area since they ship to all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico. For the other service provider, the delivery place only includes the US.
When we got our gift card order from the website for delivery, both product providers use a styrofoam cooler packaging and frozen dry ice. The dry ice wasnt melted upon delivery, just like how we wanted the dry ice to be while on travel.
We thought they both had fairly similar shipping costs, but Kansas City Steak Company offers a few dollars less.
You can get more information about your steak when you buy it online than you may have gotten if you bought it in person,
– Marc Forgione, Iron Chef
About Kansas City Steak Company
They first started out in 1932 as a family-owned butcher shop called S& S Meat Company.
They ended up growing in popularity and becoming a meat supplier for big retail businesses such as Outback Steaks and Carrabbas.
In 1984 they shifted focus and decided to venture into the mail order steak business, something that Omaha Steaks pioneered years prior. What eventually launched their mail order business was a deal with QVC to promote their products.
Since then, they have partnered with National Beef, who is the meat supplier for their Kansas City Steak Company online business. This means if you purchase from their online store, while the brand name is Kansas City Steak Company, the meat youre getting is actually from National Beef.
Also Check: Omaha Steaks In Store Specials
How Can You Buy Meat From Kansas City Steaks Vs Omaha Steaks
Mail-order steak companies most often allow you to buy meat a la carte. Sometimes they also offer bundles or discounts. And there are some companies, such as ButcherBox, that offer both traditional a la carte and meat subscription options. While one is not better or worse than the other, its still worth exploring to understand if a service is the best option for you.
You May Like: Grub Steak Park City Coupon
Dry Ice Plays A Key Role With Omaha Steaks
Ever wonder how Omaha Steaks manages to keep their products fresh, even while they’re shipping them all the way across the country? As Dr. Youling Xiong wrote in Lawrie’s Meat Science, “Raw meat is one of the most shelf-unstable food materials due to its abundance in nutrients ideally suited for microorganisms.” This means that transporting uncooked steak products from state to state takes a lot of care.
When the company began its mail-order operations in 1952, they settled on using wax-lined cartons filled with dry ice to keep the meat cool essentially mimicking a refrigerator. As polystyrene and vacuum packaging became more popular and mainstream, Omaha Steaks ditched the wax-lined containers and began using those, in conjunction with dry ice as the means of keeping the meat cool.
Vacuum packaging, combined with the dry ice, ensures that the meat has no exposure to air and thus, bacteria while the dry ice keeps the temperature down low without requiring any electricity.
Omaha Steaks Vs Kansas City Steaks: Shipping & Returns
The penultimate segment of this Omaha Steaks vs Kansas City Steaks review will be a final duel between the companys shipping policies and return frameworks.
This is the lowdown on Omaha Steaks shipping set-up. They charge $20 for orders under $170. Greedy little meat munchkins can save themselves on the shipping fee by purchasing more than $170 worth of products at once.
Thats right: Omaha Steaks provide free shipping if youre willing to go the extra mile.
If your tastebuds cant bear to wait for a single extra single then good news. There are speedier delivery options than standard shipping. Express shipping costs an additional $20 and should arrive within 2 to 3 business days.
Want your steaks even more quickly? Say no more, as you can select the companys rush shipping service and have them in 1 to 2 business days for $40.
Want your steaks at a last minutes notice and need them urgently? Omaha Steaks has you covered there too their Saturday rush shipping scheme delivers orders placed on Friday by Saturday afternoon and costs $50.
Here are the shipping charges associated with each region Omaha Steaks delivers to that are outside of the continental US:
- Puerto Rico: $40
- The US Virgin Islands: $125
So, while their shipping covers a large area, their return and refund policy is cut and dry. You wont be able to send any product back to the company because you cant return purchased food.
There are a point worth mentioning to sum up this section.
Read Also: How To Make Steak Sauce
Kansas City Steak Company 4
Recommendation Test Anchor, dont delete
Recommendation Test Anchor, dont delete
Were sorry.This item is not available at this time.
Pre Order Possible.
- Net weight 4 lbs to 4.5 lbs
- Delicately marbled and trimmed
- Arrives within two days of shipment packaged with dry ice, but may arrive with little to none remaining
- Cannot ship to PR, VI, Guam
Dont Miss: Victorinox Rosewood Steak Knife Set
Butcherbox Vs Omaha Steaks: Packaging & Deliverability
Butcher Box makes all deliveries in small gift boxes packed with free dry ice to make sure your heritage breed pork chops and grass-fed ground beef arrive without issue.
Their grass-fed meat is shipped vacuum-packed to ensure freshness upon arrival for your carnivore diet meal plan. With Butcher Box, you can track all of your packages easily from their website for a hassle-free purchase.
The Butcher Box company delivers throughout the 48 contiguous states, excluding Hawaii and Alaska.
When I asked, they noted import and export restrictions, which prevented shipping outside the continental US. Omaha Steaks do not offer all of these services.
Also Check: How Much Is It To Franchise A Steak And Shake
What Is The Main Mission Statement Of Kansas City Steaks Vs Omaha Steaks
Easily one of the most common factors to overlook is the general company mission statement.
This may not seem interesting or important, but what it does is give you an idea of what and whom this service is intended for. While you should never take a mission statement for its word, that mission statement should align with what is offered. Misalignment in this category can be a red flag.
Omaha Steaks Ran Into Trouble Over Their Website
When you hear about the Americans with Disabilities Act, it’s usually in reference to physical entities you know, things like wheelchair ramps, parking spots, or restroom accessibility. But one little known fact about the ADA is that websites also have a vague set of rules they must follow in order to be in compliance with the act.
Some advocacy groups have been known to take businesses to court if their websites aren’t easily accessible for blind users. However, because these rules aren’t quite set in stone , these cases are often gauged on a case-by-case basis.
See, if a business’s website isn’t rendered properly so that it can be easily read using text-to-speech software, that essentially leaves the website useless and inaccessible for someone who’s visually impaired or blind. The Omaha World-Heraldreported in 2017, that the advocacy group Access Now had partnered with three blind would-be customers to sue Omaha Steaks for a number of accessibility issues with their website.
The company, however, claimed that it was planning on doing a complete renovation job on the website later in 2018 and did not want to update its website until it rolled out the full update. The lawsuit was terminated shortly after it began, as the ADA is relatively vague with regards to internet compliance.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Grill Steaks On A Gas Grill
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
What did people search for similar to omaha steaks in Kansas City, MO?
People also searched for these in Kansas City:
What are people saying about meat shops in Kansas City, MO?
This is a review for meat shops in Kansas City, MO:
“Very disappointing in terms of the quality of their Prime Strips. When paying nearly $60.00 for 2 steaks, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be happy if the steaks are prepared perfectly. McGonigles meat market was open on Sundays, which was nice……”
A Quick Comparison Between Butcher Box And Omaha Steaks
The main difference between Omaha Steaks vs Butcher Box lies in their sourcing practices. The Butcher Box provides sustainably sourced beef and free-range organic chicken, while Omaha Steaks offers traditionally sourced prime meat cuts that arent grass-fed.
While both are grass-fed meat delivery services, Omaha Steaks does not offer free shipping or a subscription plan like its competitor.
This company charges tiered shipping costs based on product quantity.
Butcher Box started with the idea that 100% grass-fed beef should be available to everyone. The meat delivery service offers high-quality meats from pasture-raised farms.
- Custom and curated meals
- High quality beef and humanely sourced meat
- Free from antibiotics and no added hormones.
Known as “America’s Original Butcher,” this meat delivery began as a neighborhood butcher shop. It has one of the largest selections of meats we’ve seen, including prime beef.
- Known for high meat quality
Also Check: Henckels Forged Elite Steak Knives
Kansas City Steak Company Pros
- They offer a ton of variety. Between the different cuts of meat, different types of meat, sides, appetizers, desserts, and gift bundles, they are up there with Omaha Steaks in terms of the amount of food they have available to purchase.
- Some foods were very delicious. The steak fries and brookies desserts were absolutely delicious.
- They have a great money back guarantee. If youre unhappy, you can contact them and they will refund your money or replace the items youre unhappy with.
Omaha Steaks Vs Kansas City Steaks: Price & Value
Meat is not valued by its weight, but by its quality. With that being said, this section of my Omaha Steaks vs Kansas City Steaks review will pit the two brands best-selling products against each other in a head-to-head comparison of their prices.
Here are the costs of the Omaha Steaks products:
- Omaha Steaks Boneless Heart of Prime Rib Roast: $150 for a 4oz roast or on sale for $300 for 8oz roast
- Omaha Steaks Marinated Salmon Fillets: on sale for $30 for 4 fillets or $60 for 8 fillets, regular price is $60 for 4 fillets and $120 for 8 fillets
- Omaha Steaks Customer Favorites with Free Digital Kitchen Scale: on sale for $141, regular price is $295
Ill keep this section sweet and simple by showing you Kansas City Steaks prices in list form:
- Kansas City Steaks Prime Rib Roast: $156 for a 6lb. roast
- Kansas City Steaks Wild-Caught Sockeye Salmon: $85 for 4 7oz fillets or $125 for 8 7oz fillets
- Kansas City Steaks Tour of Good Taste: currently on sale for $150, regular price is $225
Evidently, neither brand offers a premium price compared to the other. When you take out factors like sales promotions and garnished seasonings, youre getting similar amounts of meat for similar amounts of money.
Also Check: Cooking Steak On Indoor Grill
Kansas City Steak Company Vs The Competition
Its likely you probably already know that Omaha Steaks is the biggest competitor to Kansas City Steak Company. Both are very similar in terms of what they offerbetween steaks, different cuts of meats, gift bundles, and even their websites.
However, there are a ton of lesser-known meat delivery services out there these days that also provide a similar service. Heres a look at some of them and how they differ from Kansas City Steaks:
- Snake River Farms: Known for their American wagyu beef, Snake River Farms offers a similar service to Kansas City Steak Company but focus more on the higher end meats. What I like about Snake River Farms is that they control their entire supply chain, which means more control over the quality of the meat.
- Crowd Cow: Like Kansas City Steak Company, Crowd Cow has a ton of variety in terms of meats, sides, and desserts. They sell all the same types of meat in addition to game meat such as boar, duck, and elk. Crowd Cow also sells plant-based meats.
- Porter Road: When it comes to high-quality meat, its hard to beat Porter Road. I love that they do not freeze their meats when they send them as to not compromise the quality and flavor of the meat.
- Rastellis: Rastellis is one of my personal favorite meat delivery companies. They offer all the same meats and cuts as Kansas City Steak Company as well as many precooked meat options . What I like most is that theyre very open and transparent about their sourcing practices.
Snake River Farms Top Pick
Snake River Farms is a family-owned business out of Idaho whose meat is used by Michelin-star restaurants.
Luckily for us, they also sell directly to the public via their website.
Their claim to fame is their American Wagyu beef, which comes from crossbreeding imported Wagyu cattle with American Angus.
Their beef is rated higher than USDA Prime .
They guys arent just a mail-order steak company. Porter Road is a full online butcher, selling a large range of beef, pork, chicken, and lamb.
Their meat is sourced from small family farms in Kentucky and Tennessee before it is cut and dry-aged for a minimum of 14 days at their facilities in Kentucky.
All beef is pasture-raised and hormone and antibiotic-free.
Their meat is also quite a bit more affordable than Snake River Farms, making Porter Road a great choice if you want to treat yourself without breaking the bank.
You can shop from over 50 different cuts of beef, but you cant go wrong with the bone-in ribeye.
You can also let Porter Road do the meat shopping for you with one of their curated meat boxes.
They are also focused on sustainability and ensure all meat is humanely raised.
Also Check: Jimmy’s Steak And Seafood
About The Kansas City Steaks
- They offer a wide array of meats including American Style Kobe, grass fed, pre-seasoned, USDA prime, and gift options. Their featured cuts of beef include Filet Mignon, Kansas City Strip, Top Sirloin, T-bone, Porterhouse, Ribeye, Beef Tenderloin, Chateaubriand, Prime Rib Roasts, and more.
- They wet age their steaks for up to 28 days, which makes us wonder if they know how long they age their steaks..
- Kansas City Steaks offers meat from their own stock. They offer free-range and grass-fed beef, so customers can customize their order to taste. They offer American Style Kobe and USDA Prime and Choice beef products to ensure their customers receive only the best.
- We found many of their product descriptions omit the grade the beef you are buying.
- Kansas City Steaks offers a full line of other meat products, including pork, chicken, lamb, turkey, lobster, salmon, and crab. They also offer company made extras including appetizers, side dishes, seasonings and sauces, and desserts that have been carefully selected for their customers to enjoy.
- They offer a 45-day unconditional guaranteeon all meat products. This guarantee includes a replacement or refund if a customer is unsatisfied with their product, or if there is a defect. There are three options to provide this guarantee, including refund, replacement, or gift certificate reimbursement to be used with a later purchase.
Ribeye served with Sliced Potatoes and Spinach
Is Online Meat Delivery Safe
If youre looking for an alternative to your traditional local butcher or big chain supermarket , getting meat delivered to your door seems too good to be true.
But is it actually safe to ship high-quality meat?
It turns out it is.
There are a few different methods online butchers use to deliver meat safely.
Most meat is shipped frozen, with insulated boxes and dry ice inside to keep the temperature cold.
Selection of meat ordered from Porter Road
Companies like Porter Road and Snake River Farms use bio-degradable insulation to cut down on waste.
Recommended Reading: Schwan’s Vs Omaha Steaks
Omaha Steaks Got In Trouble For Violating Telemarketing Laws
Perhaps you’ve gotten a call or two from a robocaller at Omaha Steaks trying to sell us on their holiday gift box special that’s stuffed to the brim with gourmet hamburgers and tri-tips galore. Well, in 2014, one man in Gresham, Oregon, had received just one call too many, as The Oregonian reported.
According to The Oregonian, Michael Hetherington received 10 unwarranted calls to his cell phone from the company over the course of just a little over a month in 2013. Hetherington did some research on laws surrounding telemarketing and realized that the company could be breaching the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991. The act essentially states that companies aren’t allowed to call customers without their permission nor can they use automated programs to dial up random numbers with added emphasis in regards to protecting cell phone numbers. This is exactly what Omaha Steaks was doing when they called Hetherington those 10 times and he filed a lawsuit against them in 2014.
The lawsuit grew into a wider class action suit and was eventually settled about two years later in 2016, when the company had to shell out $5 million to customers they’d called in violation of the TCPA. According to Top Class Actions, a website investigating various class action suits across the country, customers began receiving checks from Omaha Steaks for around $40 in December 2016.