How To Marinade Steak And Grill It To Perfection
We may earn a commission on purchases made after clicking links on this page.
A couple of weeks back, I got together with some good friends- many of whom I hadnt seen in years. It was a planned day of hanging out, catching up, drinking a few beers and grilling some meat.
I wanted something simple that would allow flexibility to do other stuff and not have to be chained to the BBQ all day. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but slow cooking ribs for 4 hours takes more attention than I was willing to give .
Enter steak. Its among the fastest and simplest crowd-pleasers out there. It is also dangerously easy to screw up. Overcook a steak and youve ruined it.
How To Marinate Steak Without A Recipe
For the grill, I always choose a thin, quick-cooking steakI’m talking skirt, hanger, or flank steak tri-tip, short ribs, faux hanger , or entraña steak. These are all cut from large, strong, active muscles, which makes them more flavorful and great for serving a crowd. But those strong muscles are also naturally tougher. Which is why these steaks require a marinade.
Making a steak marinade is a lot like making a salad dressingyou can customize it depending on your mood, your menu, or whatever happens to be in your pantry. But unlike salad dressing, you want the flavors in your marinade to be extra strongstrong enough to infuse the meat with flavor that will linger long after the marinade is discarded.
Every steak marinade needs four elementsoil, acid, flavoring, and salt. Once you understand the basic ratio and timeline of how to marinate steak, you’ll never need to look at another recipe again.
Let’s dig in: here’s how to marinate steak without a recipe:
Lets Marinate Some Steak
The aroma this mix gives off before you add the meat is insane. You know its going to be incredible just from by the smell of it. Mix in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and a pinch of red pepper. Add steaks to a resealable zip lock bag or large bowl and pour the marinade on top. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
Also Check: Steak And Shake Gunbarrel Road
How To Marinate Chicken
Though its slightly more involved, Chef Jordan Terry, who started as a meat cook before rising to his current role as executive chef at Dirty French, tells us he likes a marinade inspired by Indochina. To make it, blend 100 grams fish sauce, 50 grams honey, 25 grams shallots, 10 grams garlic, 30 grams hoisin, 10 grams rice wine vinegar, and 2 grams makrut lime leaves then, pour it over the chicken and grill with excess marinade, allowing it to char with the skin, he says.
For Fletcher, My go-to summertime chicken method involves brining breasts on-the-bone in a solution of 6 quarts water, 12 cup kosher salt, 12 cup white sugar. I do this overnight. In the morning I remove from brine, pat dry, and let them air dry in the fridge all day, uncovered, until Im ready to grill. After grilling, I toss the breasts in a light dressing made from 14 cup olive oil, juice from 2 fresh lemons, and 1 tablespoon of minced fresh garlic with salt and pepper to taste.
What Do You Use To Marinate A Steak
This steak marinade is packed with dried herbs, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. These ingredients all come together to give you such amazing flavor and the perfectly cooked juicy steak!
- Soy sauce: Adds a bit of salty and tons of flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds acidity to tenderize and flavor.
- Olive oil: Help seal in juiciness.
- Worcestershire sauce: One of the best umami flavors for beef.
- Minced garlic: Use fresh for the best tasting.
- Italian seasoning: A go-to combination of outstanding herbs.
- Pepper and Salt: To taste, but do not leave it out.
- Red pepper: Adds a bit of spice.
- Steaks: I used rib eye, New York is also great
- Butter: Butter is truly the best thing to cook steak in! Hands down!
- Chopped Parsley: Adds a pop of color.
Also Check: Omaha Steaks In Air Fryer
Best Steak Marinade In Existence
- cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1½ tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- Step 1
Place the soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, basil, parsley, and pepper in a blender. Add hot pepper sauce and garlic, if desired. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
- Step 2
Pour marinade over desired type of meat. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Cook meat as desired.
How Long To Marinate Steak
Like we said, many recipes say to marinate overnight. What happens if you dont have that long to wait or you get tied up the next day and dont even make it to the grill? Either scenario could work out to be OK, but again different cuts of beef will react differently to the marinade. Also, marinade ingredients can have different reactions with the meat.*
For a nice juicy steak originating from the tender portion of the cow marinating is not necessary, or even recommended. It is recommended to only use salt and pepper on tender cuts of steak before grilling or searing. Salt tender steaks only about 30 minutes prior to cooking as they rest on the counter. This is because salt tends to draw out the moisture from the meat, leaving behind a dry steak if it was salted too early. This holds true for cuts of beef labeled tenderloins, top loins, T-bone and porterhouse steaks.
For ribeye steaks, tri-tip steaks and top sirloin steaks marinating can be beneficial to make them as flavorful and sealed on the outside as possible. A marinade will never reach the center of the meat, so poking with a fork will help impart more flavor and tenderize.
For tougher cuts of steak like chuck steak, shoulder steak, top round steak, bottom round steak, skirt steak, hanger steak and flank steak marinating is a necessity unless you were blessed with razor sharp teeth.
Also Check: Average Price Of Ribeye Steak
Grilled Marinated Steak Tips
I usually throw my steaks in a resealable bag, with this incredible steak spice marinade, just before I head out the door to work. Leaving the steak in the marinade for a good chunk of the day helps to tenderize the meat and adds intense flavour. I toss the to-be grilled marinated steaks back in the fridge while Im gone and remove it as soon as I get home rule number 1 for cooking steak is to always let it sit at room temperature for a while before grilling.
I have found that some people complain that barbecued steak can be very tough. I would hazard a guess to say that the reason people are eating tough steak is because they are cooking the living daylights out of it.
A good grilled marinated steak, or any steak for that matter, really only requires a few minutes of grilling on each side and then an 8-10 minute rest. I am 100 percent in the camp of cooks who believe that all meats should have a resting period. I know that others believe this might be a myth , but resting meat allows juices to re-absorb so you have a juicy, tender piece of beef.
We enjoy our steak pretty simple, with a side salad or some grilled asparagus. And the steak marinade leaves such a wonderful flavour that barbecue sauce is never necessary on these delicious grilled marinated steaks!
I can promise you, that if youre a steak lover, this recipe is definitely for you!
When I Grill Steaks They Come Out Toughwhy
Lets rewind a little bit you probably missed adding an acidic touch to your marinade recipe. Muscle fibers within your steak need to be broken down, as well as the proteins turned into gelatin in order to make your steak tender. Over high heat and with more tender cuts of steak like filet mignon, this happens very easily. But for tougher cuts of meat, you need to grill it slowly and continue to keep it covered in marinade.
Read Also: Steak N Shake Franchise Profit
How To Make This Easy Steak Marinade:
- Whisk marinade ingredients: in a mixing bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, garlic, pepper and rosemary until well blended.
- Pour over steaks and marinate: place steak in a gallon size resealable bag, place steak in gallon size resealable bag. Pour marinade over steaks, seal bag while pressing out excess air. Let marinate.
What Ingredients Go Into Steak Marinade
- Balsamic vinegar I dont recommend substitutes here. Balsamic vinegar will add the best flavor. And use dark balsamic, white isnt as strong.
- Worcestershire sauce another key ingredient. This is one of the best ingredients for steak marinade.
- Soy sauce keep in mind the longer the steak marinades the more sodium it will absorb from the soy sauce, so if you only marinate 1 hour you may still need a little salt added to the steaks.
- Olive oil dont use extra virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke point, just regular refined olive oil.
- Dijon mustard this adds a little extra flavor. Dont use regular mustard.
- Honey just a light amount helps tone down acidity of the vinegar it also helps the exterior of steaks brown better.
- Garlic as always only use fresh. It makes a big difference.
- Freshly ground black pepper if you havent made the jump to fresh ground pepper now is the time! It really is a lot better.
- Dried rosemary of course fresh will work great too, use 1 Tbsp chopped if using fresh.
- Steak this makes enough marinade for about 2 pounds of steak.
Don’t Miss: Best Steak For Bbq Grill
How To Make The Best Steak Marinade In Existence
This marinade is effortless to make. Simply whisk together soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, dried basil, dried parsley, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and minced garlic. Pour the marinade over your steaks and refrigerate a few hours to overnight. When ready to cook the steaks, remove steaks from the marinade and cook until they reach your preferred temperature.
- You can use this marinade on any cut of steak that you enjoy ribeye, sirloin, NY Strip, filet, skirt steak, flank steak anything you like.
- This makes enough to marinate 6 to 8 steaks, depending on the size.
- Here are our instructions on how to cook steaks in a cast iron grill pan:
- Here are our instructions on how to cook steaks in the air fryer:
- The cooking time will just depend on what internal temperature you want and how thick the steaks are. Use a meat thermometer to cook the steaks to your preferred doneness.
- Rare 120º to 125ºF
How To Cook The Steaks In A Skillet
If you dont have a grill handy, you can also cook these steaks in a hot skillet on the stove. I recommend a cast iron skillet, if you have one, but if not, any heavy-bottomed skillet will work.
You May Like: Best Way To Cook Skirt Steak
What Is The Best Meat Tenderizer
Best Sellers in Meat & Poultry Tenderizers#1. NEW OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer. Checkered Chef Meat Tenderizer. XSpecial Meat Tenderizer Tool 48 Blades Stainless Steel | Easy To Use & Clean Turn Tough & Hard ZXZ Meat Tenderizer, 48 Stainless Steel Sharp Needle Blade, Heavy Duty Cooking Tool for
How To Make Steak Marinade
This easy steak marinade literally comes together in seconds! Heres a summary of how to make it:
- Make the marinade. Pour all of the ingredients into a gallon sized plastic bag. Mix to combine.
- Add the steaks and turn to coat. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Cook & enjoy. Discard the marinade, blot the steaks with a paper towel, and cook as desired. We recommend using a cast iron skillet for the best sear.
You May Like: Steak And Shake Hiring Age
What Is A Steak Marinade Recipe Made Of
A steak marinade recipe usually has four basic components:
- Salt Kosher salt, sea salt, or something salty like soy sauce or Worcestershire.
- Oil Because beef is naturally saturated with water, beef wont absorb the oil in the marinade. However, since herbs and spices are oil-soluble, they require the oil to release their full flavor.
- Flavoring Spices and herbs are your friends and theyll add a punch of flavor to any marinade.
- Acid Depending on the desired flavor, many marinades have an acidic liquid like lemon juice or vinegar. The acid helps flavor the beef, but it does not tenderize it.
Do You Tenderize Sirloin Steak
Why: Sirloin steaks are tougher than most grilling steaks because they flex repeatedly as the animal stands or moves around, making them denser and chewier. Pounding your sirloin steak with a meat mallet, or something similar, tenderizes it by physically tearing the bonds that hold the muscle fibers together.
Also Check: The Best Way To Grill A Steak
Can You Make These Steaks Into Shish Kabobs
Yes! Sirloin is one of the best cuts of steak for making shish kabobs. When using this marinade to make kabobs, I recommend cubing the steak, then adding it to the marinade. This means, more of the steak surface area gets to soak up the delicious marinade.
After marinating the cubes of steak for at least 20 minutes, skewer the steak by itself or with veggies like bell peppers and onions. Grill the steak shish kabobs over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, flip and continue grilling for an additional 4-5 minutes.
What Is The Difference Between Prime Choice And Select Beef Steak
- Prime beef comes from young cattle. It has a generous amount of marbling , this is the best and most expensive grade of beef.
- Choice beef steaks are high quality and are more budget friendly than prime, they just dont have quite as much marbling.
- Select beef steak is the lowest grade and the most budget friendly. Meat is leaner and not quite as tender.
Don’t Miss: Steak And Shake Fry Seasoning
How To Make A Steak Soft Before Grilling
8 easy ways to tenderize meat Physically tender meat. For hard cuts like steak, a meat hammer can be a surprisingly effective way to break down the hard muscle fibers. Use a marinade. Do not forget the salt. Let it come to room temperature. Boil slowly. Achieve the correct internal temperature. Rest the meat. Cut against the grain.
Heat Your Grill As A Hot As It Will Go Before You Put The Steak On
- I dont own a fancy Green Egg or what have you, but I still try and get my gas grill up to 450F+ before the steak goes on.
- Your goal is to sear the outside so that juices stay in.
- I cook each side twice, although many aficionados suggest only turning it once. I like the cross-hatched grill lines you get from turning it 45 degrees on the second flip and the visual payoff is worth it.
Read Also: Where Does Omaha Steaks Get Their Meat
Outside Skirt Marinating Steak
This is a long, think flat steak with strong graining shaped like a sash. Cut from the plate or underbelly, Outside Skirt is in front of the Flank and has less fat chunks embedded into it but is more marbled and is smaller, thicker and a bit less strong thank Inside Skirt. Trimmed folded over or cut into manageable steak-size lengths. It performs much like Flank Steak but is more flavourful. Great used in Latin flavored dishes or Asian cuisine.