What Makes A Good Steak
A well-marbled steak has an equal distribution of marbling throughout the piece of meat.While the marbling is high in omega 6 and 3 unsaturated fats, it has very little cholesterol, which is beneficial to ones health in the long run as well.Various cuts of cattle are used to make steaks, each with its own flavor.Prime beef, choice beef, select meet, and so on are examples of such products.
What Is It Made Of
Montreal Steak Seasoning is a combination of the following 6 spices.
- Coarse Kosher Salt
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Paprika while I use a mild paprika to make this steak seasoning, if youd like to add a little smokiness to the flavor, feel free to use smoked paprika instead.
- Minced Garlic some steak seasoning recipes will use garlic powder or onion powder, but I much prefer the texture of minced garlic and onions in my steak seasoning!
Copycat Texas Roadhouse Steak Rub
Be sure to try this Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls Recipe next!
The best part is that this steak seasoning recipe is super-duper easy. Simplicity is often the way to go when youre dealing with meat. The hardest part of all is not to fiddle with it on the grill- dont do it. Leave it alone. Set it and be done with it. Get your timing right – and youll be happily munching on a big juicy steak in no time. Here is more information to help you achieve that perfect steak:
You May Like: Mr Steak 3 Burner Grill
Steak Seasoning Rub For Grilling
This is the best steak seasoning rub to use on steaks cooked on the grill. Personally, I think the ‘sweet paprika’ is the secret ingredient that makes this rub stand out, however you can substitute regular paprika in your dry rub recipe if you really insist. If you like the rub to be a bit sweeter, add 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar, however, it will scorch more easily.
Grilled steaks have infinitely more flavor then pan-seared steak. Don’t be intimidated by grilling, check out my write-up on How to Grill Steak. I personally use a Weber Grill and I have really been giving it a workout this summer.
Grilling Tip: I keep aluminum foil on hand whenever I am grilling steak. Not only is it great for wrapping vegetables to cook on the grill without burning, but I also like using it to transport meat to and from the grill. When lining a tray, it makes for exceptionally effortless cleanup!
What Seasonings To Use On Steak
There are countless options to choose from when it comes to applying seasoning to steak, but we have the favorites below. These go great with different types of cuts.
1. Cinnamon- Cinnamon used on steak helps keep the meat moist by increasing blood flow to the surface area. This allows the meat to stay tender throughout the entire cooking process.
2. Rosemary- Rosemary contains volatile oils that impart a rich flavor to food. It blends well with other seasonings yet works best as an independent meat ingredient. One word of caution rosemary has a strong odor, so make sure not to overdo it.
3. Chili powder- This fiery kick adds a nice flavor to any dish that uses chili powder, especially beef. The color of the powder also makes it easy to see if youve added enough spices to suit your taste.
4. Cumin- Cumin goes well with most dishes. When applied on the surface of the steak, it imparts a rich aroma that complements the natural flavor of beef. Just be careful not to add too much since excess cumin can become overly spicy.
5. Red pepper flakes- If you enjoy Asian flavors in your food, red pepper flakes are a must-have. They give a nice burst of flavor to many foods and pair very well with beef.
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Omaha Steak Gift Cards
Why Youll Love It
This steak seasoning blend is so easy to have on hand! I have grown to love making my own spice blends because we have total control over the ingredients.
No weird fillers or an over-abundance of sodium in store bought seasoning packets! Homemade seasoning blends are where its at.
Its vibrant, colorful and full of incredibly fragrant spices. I know youre going to love it! Learn more about steak here, at the best Side Dishes for Steak.
How Do You Season A Fresh Steak
Season both sides of the steak, as well as the sides of the steak, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, making sure there is a visible coating of seasoning on every surface. The salt should not be piled on top of the meat, but it should coat it. Salt and pepper are applied to the steak, which results in a t-shirt-like appearance.
You May Like: How Are Omaha Steaks Packaged
What Spices Go Well With Steak
Weve already established that the two main seasonings you need for steak are kosher salt and ground black pepper. If you stick with those two, you are sure to have a perfectly seasoned steak every time. However, here are some other seasonings and spices that work well.
- Sugar is great for steak, especially if youre grilling. In our Sugar Steak recipe, sugar and salt act as a team. Salt seasons the meat, while the sugar caramelizes to produce a perfectly charred crust, and a touch of sweetness.
- Finishing salts made with a fresh herb of your choice are a great way to add a salty, herby flourish to your meat.
- Fresh rosemary, ground coriander, grated lemon zest, dry mustard, and red pepper flakes make for a potent crust in Cooks Countrys Spice-Crusted Steak recipe. Turning the steaks often prevents the spice mix from burning.
- Montreal steak seasoning is a classic. Store-bought is fine, but homemade is better.
- This spice rub of black and white peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red pepper flakes, and ground cinnamon is perfect for steaks and chops.
My Favorite Steak Recipes
- How to Cook Steak on the Stove Find out how easy it is to make steak year-round with this step by step guide to cooking steak perfectly on the stovetop!
- Tender Steak Sliders These steak sliders start with a flavorful marinade, cooked to perfection, and combined with the most amazing flavors for the perfect sandwich!
- Incredible Red Wine Sauce for Steak An incredibly easy, 3 ingredient, steak sauce or steak gravy recipe that will take your steak dinner to the next level!
- The Easiest Steak Kabobs dont miss this one! Youll crave these easy grilled steak kabobs, bursting with flavor in every bite!
Read Also: Where To Buy Dale’s Steak Seasoning
When Is The Best Time To Apply Steak Seasoning
Are you looking to make the perfect steak? The secret to this is finding the best time to apply steak seasoning to your favorite cut of steak.
Most steaks are really good all by themselves. Adding the perfect seasoning can make them that much better!
Make sure the steak is dry and not wet before adding your seasoning. You can pat it with a paper towel to dry it off prior to adding your seasoning. Apply the seasoning on both sides of the steak. Use a generous amount, massaging with your hand until the surface of the meat is totally covered. Turn the steak over and apply to the other side. Cover and leave in the refrigerator overnight. If you are short on time, let your steak sit for at least an hour after applying seasoning if you can. Make sure to choose a steak that is thick, at least ¾ inch think. Using a seasoning that includes a coarser salt, such as sea salt, is often preferable for steaks because of the flavor it brings out in the meat.
Try our different MySpicer steak seasoning options:
Steak & Burger Seasoning a great all-purpose blend that works well as a rub
Mr. Ts Steak Seasoning a robust, coarse seasoning blend that will add a nice textural element to your steak
Canadian Style Steak Seasoning great option to give you that popular Montreal Steak Spice flavor
How Long Before Cooking Should You Season A Steak
If I have the time, I like to rub seasoning onto my steak a few hours before I cook it, so that the flavors have time to penetrate the meat. If you dont have the time to wait, its also fine to season the steak right before you cook it. I recommend massaging the seasoning into the steak so that the spices really stick to the meat. If you choose to season your steak in advance, you can let it sit in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before you plan to cook it.
I always have this steak seasoning on hand its the perfect versatile spice blend to add flavor to almost any type of meat!
Also Check: Zwilling Stainless Steel Steak Knives
How To Use Steak Seasoning
I like to start with a 3/4 teaspoon of seasoning per pound of meat.
- Rub This seasoning makes a great dry rub. Sprinkle each side of your meat evenly with seasoning, and gentle rub in the seasoning to completely coat all of your meat.
- Making a marinade is another great way to incorporate this spice blend. Mix with olive oil and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
For a highly detailed steak temperature reference, be sure to head over to this Free Printable Steak Temperature Chart so handy!
Montreal Steak Seasoning Marinade
If you would like to use this as a marinade for one pound of meat whether that be beef or chicken you can follow the recipe below.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
For chicken you should marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours, never marinating more than 24 hours. For beef, you should marinate for 6 to 12 hours, never marinating more than 24 hours.
Also Check: Just Cook Gimme Steak Blend
Great On Other Proteins Too
Bonus, The Best Steak Seasoning Recipe is great on chicken wings, pork, even fish. Use it for all your grilled proteins this season!
Feel free to experiment with this and let me know how it turns out in the comments below! Id love to hear how this recipe is being used.
What Season Do You Put On Steak
When it comes to seasoning a steak, nothing beats the basic combination of freshly cracked black pepper and kosher salt. Finishing salts, such as flaky sea salt, can be used as a last touch at the conclusion of the cooking process. To produce a flavored salt for your steak, mix together some finely chopped herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or sage with your regular salt.
Also Check: Steak N Shake Customer Feedback
How Do You Season A Steak Before Grilling It
About 15 minutes before you want to cook the steak, season it with salt and a sufficient amount of freshly ground black pepper. This will make it possible for the salt to be absorbed. This may be completed while the steak is bringing up to room temperature. If you do not season the exterior of the meat thoroughly before cooking it, the most of the salt will wind up on your grill.
How To Baste A Steak
If youre cooking your steak in a skillet, add even more seasoning by basting your steak in butter and herbs.
To baste your steak, move it to the back of your pan when its almost done cooking. Then melt butter in the skillet and add shallots, garlic, and thyme. Holding the skillet handle, tilt it backwards to create a pool of butter. Use a spoon to continuously spoon the butter and the aromatics over the steak, focusing on the areas where the crust is less browned. Continue basting, flipping every 30 seconds, until the steak reaches 120 degrees .
Read Also: Omaha Steaks Corporate Office Phone Number
How Do You Cook A Steak So It Doesnt Lose Flavor
Some individuals like the bone or fat to be left in place for the taste it provides. Prepare the steak by coating it with a thin layer of olive oil. About 15 minutes before you want to cook the steak, season it with salt and a sufficient amount of freshly ground black pepper. This will make it possible for the salt to be absorbed.
Philly Cheesesteak Seasoning Ingredients
Generally, the most basic Philly Cheesesteak ingredients are beefsteak tomato, onion, pepper, and cheese. However, this sandwich has many variations thus, you need to know what kind of meat and toppings you need on your sandwich.
To create the perfect Philly Cheesesteak, you must start by getting the right ingredients. Here are some of the ingredients that you use when making your own Philly Cheesesteak:
1. Beefsteak Tomato A beefsteak tomato is used in the Philly Cheesesteak because it contains many flavors. You can find it in the produce section of grocery stores.
2. Salt Salt is added to the sandwich so that it has an excellent taste
3. Vinegar Vinegar is added to the sandwich to help cut down on the fat you consume.
4. Oil Oil is added to the sandwich because it helps keep the bread from drying out.
5. Bread The purpose of bread is to hold all of the ingredients together.
6. Seasoning Seasonings are added to the sandwich before cooking and are best for seasoning the meat to give it a flavorful taste.
You May Like: Best Electric Grill For Steaks
More Spice Blend Recipes
- Allspice A simple recipe blending 3 staple baking ingredients to create this amazing spice blend!
- Everything Bagel Seasoning This can be used for so much more than bagels. Click through to find out why you need it in your life!
- Taco Seasoning A naturally gluten free recipe, this taco seasoning is perfect to flavor all your favorite Mexican dishes!
- Mulling Spices The best fall spice blend made with only 4 ingredients. Flavor your wine, coffee, or use it as a potpourri.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Another must have spice for all your fall and holiday baking!
- Blackened Seasoning Learn how to make your own blackened seasoning to add the most amazing flavor with the right amount of heat and kick.
- Poultry Seasoning Take your chicken to the next level with this simple but bursting with flavor poultry seasoning.
- Cinnamon Sugar Easily mix up this classic recipe with only 2 ingredients. The uses are endless for this spice! Top your toast, coffee, and favorite desserts.
- Italian Seasoning Blend This is a zesty Italian blend of spices that works well in pasta sauces, roasted veggies, and more.
- Ranch Seasoning Blend so good in dips, added to veggies, salads, make your own dressings, etc.
What Seasoning Should I Put On Steak
As discussed above, there are different ingredients you can use to season your steak.
Whether you are craving something spicy, mild, sweet, or a combination of these, you can easily use a blend of different herbs and spices to create the perfect seasoning to put on your steak.
Suppose you like to experiment with your steak. In that case, you can create a custom seasoning by experimenting with different ingredients such as honey or basil.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Grill A Steak On A Charcoal Grill
Steak Seasoning Flavor Variations
I love this spice blend recipe as its written, but you can absolutely add other flavors to the mix to customize it to your tastes.
- Spicy Steak Rub: Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, or ground chipotle pepper to the mix.
- Garlic Lovers Rub: Double the amount of garlic in the recipe.
- Herb Lovers Rub: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried rosemary and parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Mexican Rub: Add 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon ground coriander to the mix.
Kalbi Korean Steak Seasoning
Give your steak some Asian-spiced flair by creating a kalbi steak marinade. In a large bowl, combine a quarter cup soy sauce with three tablespoons white sugar, two tablespoons sesame oil, one tablespoon each mincedgarlic and sesame seeds, two chopped green onions and a teaspoon groundblack pepper. Marinate the steaks in the refrigerator for two hours before cooking.
You May Like: Steak And Shake Franchise Startup Cost
How Do You Dry Rub A Steak
- Dry massage the sides of the steaks with the dry rub.
- Rub the spices into the meat with your fingertips to ensure that they are evenly distributed.
- Make certain that the steak is completely coated, leaving no flesh exposed.
- Spices should be applied to the sides of the other steaks as well.
How To Grill Steak:
-Get the highest quality meat that you can afford- it will make all the difference. Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, N.Y. Strip, & Ribeye are all perfect for grilling. Visit here for a complete list of options!
-Contrary to popular belief, its best not to oil your grill grates before grilling. These guys can tell you why.
Hot & Fast is the best way to cook a steak on the grill, so dont be afraid to turn up that heat. This goes for all cooking levels, from rare to well done.
-Cook the steak for 4-5 minutes on the first side, then flip. It should be brown and charred. Then follow the cooking times below depending on how you like it cooked:
Don’t Miss: Chicago Steak Company Vs Kansas City Steaks