Cooking Thinner Steaks On The Grill
You can grill a steak of any thickness successfully, but there is a sweet spot of thickness. Steaks that are too thin will probably not get those beautiful pronounced grill marks by the time the interior is cooked to your liking. If you are cooking thinner steaks on the grill, 1-inch or thinner, only flip them once so that the outside can sear up before the steaks overcook. Keep the heat fairly high so the outside has a chance to sear and caramelize before the inside gets too well done.
My New York Strip Steak Recipe: Cast Iron Pan Fry And Oven Finish
I get a cast iron pan smoking hot and then sear the steak on one side, turn it over and stick it in the oven. Make sure you put on your exhaust fan and open windows or your smoke alarm will probably go off.
- Salt the steak 24 hours in advance. It goes into the meat overnight, adds moisture and enhances flavor
- Dont cover steaks in the fridge. The outside of the steak should be dry if you want to sear them. Put them on a rack so both sides dry.
- Make sure the steak is dry, before searing. When ready to cook, I used to think my steak needed to come down to room temperature, but I now find that I get a better sear with a cold steak, as long as the steak is dry. Its the water that comes out of the steak that prevents that nice sear, also known as the mailard effect.
- Start with a very hot cast iron pan.
- Do not add oil until pan is hot.
- Use a round grill press, if you can, but no worries if you dont have one.
Temperatures For Your Ideal New York Steak
When you cook a steak, the best way to check the temperature is to use an instant read probe style thermometer. Stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to read its temperature. Remember that the best thing you can do for a steak, or any piece of meat is to let it rest. When it rests it will continue to rise in temperature, about 3-4 degrees at least. You will want to remove your steak right before it reaches its optimum temperature and let it finish cooking while it rests. This will result in the most succulent steak. I dont recommend cooking your New York Steak above 150 degrees, as it will become dry and tough.
- Rare: 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees Fahrenheit
- For Medium: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Well: 150 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well Done: 160 degrees Fahrenheit
Recommended Reading: How To Prepare Steak For Grilling
Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
Oven recipes are super popular here at Wholesome Yum, and its time to add one more: how to cook New York strip steak in the oven! This New York strip steak recipe is made with just 5 pantry staples to let the flavor shine.
If you like this New York strip steak recipe, youll have to try out my other oven steak recipes: filet mignon, sirloin steak, and flank steak. They all use this tried and true stovetop-to-oven method that cooks your steaks perfectly every time. You can also make surf and turf with New York strip.
The Absolute Best Way To Cook A New York Strip Steak
Dont you love it when the best way is the easy way?
- Strip steak is known to be a great grilling steak, but I feel that the best way to cook it is on the stove top, in a cast iron skillet
- Why a cast iron skillet? Cast iron can get screaming hot so youll get a good sear on your steak. After that it cooks nice and evenly, without hot spots.
- You can better control the heat on your stove than on a grill, so thats why I prefer this method. And youre not tied to making this great steak during grilling season, which is key!
Also Check: How To Grill Sirloin Steak
How To Cook A Strip Steak On The Stovetop In 5 Easy Steps
Key Ingredients And Substitutions
- Steak When cooking steak indoors, I prefer boneless strip steaks. For the best flavor, choose steaks with good marbling.
- Extra virgin olive oil Often my go-to choice, but you may use a high smoke point oil like canola oil instead.
- Sea salt The coarse grind not only adds flavor, but texture to the finished steaks.
- Freshly ground black pepper Grinding peppercorns just before using ensures a fresher and spicier flavor.
Recommended Reading: Lindey’s Prime Steak House
Oven Temperature And Time
I suggest a 400° oven. For a final internal temperature of about 145°, it usually takes 7-8 minutes. However, you can use a little lower or higher oven temperature, with or without convection, and get about the same resultsremember, you are cooking to a final temperature, not by time.
For rare, it may be almost no time in the oven if you did a strong sear with a rest to room temperature or if you steaks are thinner.
If your steak is thicker or was not rested to room temperature, or you want it more in the well-done range, it may take 12-15 minutes.
There are several variables that will determine the cooking time. The initial temperature of the steak, the thickness of the steak, the temperature of the oven, the length of the sear, and your desired finish level.
A final word to the wise, NEVER COOK BY TIME ALONE, cook to your target internal temperature.
How To Cook Ny Strip Steak In The Pan
Beef steaks are very popular in the US but also in Australia, Canada, and even the UK. So, on this webpage Ill share with you a very famous beef steak recipe called strip steak or NY strip steak. Usually, the beef is grilled, but Ill show you how to cook this recipe in the pan when you dont have the opportunity to use a grill.
Watch the step-by-step video recipe for the New York strip steak!
Do you like beef steak? Write your reasons briefly!
Send the recipe to all your friends and subscribe to follow the Homemade Recipes from Scratch cooking channel to get informed about more delicious food and cake recipes!
You May Like: Steak And Shake Happy Hour
Should I Cover My Steak On The Stove
Do I need to cover the steak during frying? Professional chefs do not recommend creating an accumulation of steam for Striploin. It will change the frying process to stewing.
The juices inside the steak can clog up only from direct exposure to high temperatures. also, frying on an open fire is significant for creating crumbly fibers.
And The Five Best Steak Marinade Recipes Include Cold Brew Steak Marinade:
And the five best steak marinade recipes include cold brew steak marinade: Also known as a new york strip steak and ny strip steak. Cooking a ribeye vs porterhouse steak the ribeye is an excellent choice for pan frying, grilling on the bbq, broiling in the oven, or just about any other application of heat and fire you can think of. Grill the steak about 5 minutes on each side, until lightly charred on both sides. Place your steak on the broiler pan and then into the oven. Nov 11, 2019 · broiling creates some of the same char on the outer edges of the meat that grilling does, without your having to light the grill and cook outdoors. While the term originally referred to the preparation of the dish, auguste escoffier named the specific center cut of the tenderloin the chateaubriand. Here’s how to broil in 5 easy steps. Remove steak from marinade and season with salt and pepper. This classic fruity marinade is the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. How to cook thin new york strip steaks in the oven 5 how to cook a small juicy rump roast 6 how to cook beef flap. A porterhouse steak has two different texture and tenderness profiles given the two different cuts of steak involved. Our perfected broiling method and seasoning techniques ensure each cut of usda prime beef we serve arrives cooked to perfection and sizzling on a 500° platejust the way ruth liked it. Save your leftover coffee this week it makes a fantastic marinade!
Don’t Miss: What To Marinate Steak With
Cooking New York Strip Steak In The Oven
Roasting NY strip steak in the oven is relatively easy just make sure you buy the best steak you can. Lean, grass-fed strip steak, for example, is significantly lower in fat and calories than other cuts. One serving has just 100 calories, 2 grams of fat and a whopping 20 grams of protein.
USDA Prime and USDA Choice cuts are of the highest quality, states the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association. Always choose the lean cut, which should be bright cherry red. Defrost the meat in the refrigerator, bring it to room temperature and trim all visible fat before cooking. You may cook it straight from the freezer, but you’ll spend more time in the kitchen.
From broiling and roasting to grilling, there are several ways to prepare New York strip steak in the oven. First, add salt, herbs and spices to your steak for extra flavor thyme, sage, oregano, chili powder, cumin, basil and curry all go well with beef. Mix all spices in a small bowl and then rub them over all sides of the meat. Allow it to rest for about half an hour before cooking so the flavors can meld.
Read more:How to Cook a Tender Steak on the Stove
If you want to cook thin strip steaks, you may cut the meat into thin slices before or after cooking. Another option is to marinate the meat and place it in a plastic bag or a large dish in the fridge for a few hours. If you decide to roast your steak, place it side up on a rack in a deep roasting pan.
Read more:How to Cook Steak on a Baking Sheet
A Porterhouse Steak Has Two Different Texture And Tenderness Profiles Given The Two Different Cuts Of Steak Involved
Then adjust the rack in your oven so that when your steak is in the broiler pan, it sits 3 to 4 inches from the heat source. There’s so much great flavor in this steak fajita marinade. A porterhouse steak has two different texture and tenderness profiles given the two different cuts of steak involved. How to cook thin new york strip steaks in the oven 5 how to cook a small juicy rump roast 6 how to cook beef flap. Chateaubriand is a dish that traditionally consists of a large center cut fillet of tenderloin grilled between two lesser pieces of meat that are discarded after cooking. Aged to perfection, tender and juicy, the perfect choice to entertain friends around the backyard grill. This classic fruity marinade is the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Put it all together and the result is a steak with a Place your steak on the broiler pan and then into the oven. Also known as a new york strip steak and ny strip steak. No more bland fajita seasoning Jan 24, 2018 · 5 simple steak marinade recipes: Here’s how to broil in 5 easy steps. Save your leftover coffee this week it makes a fantastic marinade! Nov 11, 2019 · broiling creates some of the same char on the outer edges of the meat that grilling does, without your having to light the grill and cook outdoors.
How to Grill a Strip Steak – A Tutorial | 101 Cooking For Two from www.101cookingfortwo.com
You May Like: Best Frying Pan To Cook Steak
What To Serve With Traeger Grilled New York Strip Steak
This steak is wonderful with a Caesar salad, but any salad works. You can also serve with something like grilled asparagus or zucchini. Here are some other suggestions for sides that you might want to give a try as well.
These recipes work well with steaks especially!
- Grilled Lobster Tails Surf and turf, all day long. Wood fired lobster tails are perfect with any kind of steak!
- Traeger Bacon wrapped shrimp Another surf and turf option. These are typically appetizers but would be wonderful served as a skewer alongside the tender steak.
- Greek pasta salad This one is made with noodle and tons of vegetables. I’d love a pile of thing alongside a steak.
- Chanterelle mushroom soup Great first course, and mushrooms always work with steak.
- Creamy Asparagus Pasta
Strip Steak Is My Go To Cut Of Beef When I Just Want A Quick And Easy Steak Dinner
I choose it because its boneless, its a nice small size, its tender, and affordable. Above all, its super easy to cook. Since I dont eat a lot of red meat, this cut is perfect for smaller portions and recipes where I want to make beef the accent, like steak salads or stir frys. This particular steak is so easy to slice into thin juicy slices, too.
Don’t Miss: Henckels Steak Knives Dishwasher Safe
How To Cook Strip Steak On The Grill
- Be sure your steak is completely thawed.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Remove your steak from the refrigerator 30-40 minutes before grilling.
- Season steaks as desired we recommend Kansas City Steak Original Steak Seasoning.
- To cook on a charcoal grill, place steaks over the hottest part of the grill, and sear both sides for 1-2 minutes. Then move to medium, ash-covered coals and continue to grill for the times listed in the chart below. Turn about 1 minute prior to the halfway point.
- To cook on a gas grill, preheat on high. Sear both sides for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to medium heat and continue to grill for the times listed in the chart below. Turn about 1 minute prior to the halfway point.
- For the perfect medium-rare strip steak, grill for 9-12 minutes for a 1-inch steak, and 12-14 minutes for a 1½ inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point. A meat thermometer should read 130°F.
- Rest your steaks for 5 minutes before serving, covering lightly with foil. The temperature of the meat will continue to rise about 5°F during this time . The final temperature will read 135°F.
- Resting steak is also important because the heat of cooking pulls the juices in the meat toward the surface if you slice into it immediately after cooking, those flavorful juices will end up on your plate, not in your steak. Allowing your steak to rest will give the juices time to sink back in and throughout the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful.
Ny Strip Steak Recipe
New York Strip may be called different things, depending on where you have having your steak discussion. You might see it labeled Kansas City Strip, Omaha Strip, Club Steak, and Top Loin Steak.
Strip steaks are boneless center loin steaks, with a pleasantly chewy texture and a lot of beefy flavor. They usually come between 1 and ½ inches thick, and if you can buy them freshly sliced at a butcher counter thats the optimal way to go.
Also Check: Henckels Non Serrated Steak Knives
Steak Marinades To Try
Steak can be enjoyed in so many different but very simple ways. You don’t need to be a great chef to cook a steak well or to prepare it in an interesting and tasty way. Buying a good piece of steak does most of the work for you as basically anyone can pan fry it to perfection. Do you like your steak rare, medium rare, well done or somewhere in between? Should the juices be flowing from the meat when it’s on your plate or should they have evaporated during the cooking process? The choice is yours. When you’ve tried cooking it in every way imaginable try marinating steak.
Ingredients Of Steak Ny Strip
New York Strip Steak cooked to medium. Then we would go home, marinate the steak and cook it on the grill later that evening. Other strip steaks include porterhouse and rib-eye. These cuts of steak are usually what you’ll find in steak house restaurants.
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Good Steak On The Grill