What Is The Difference Between Prime Choice And Select Beef Steak
- Prime beef comes from young cattle. It has a generous amount of marbling , this is the best and most expensive grade of beef.
- Choice beef steaks are high quality and are more budget friendly than prime, they just dont have quite as much marbling.
- Select beef steak is the lowest grade and the most budget friendly. Meat is leaner and not quite as tender.
Tips For Steak Marinade
- This marinade can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, so its great to make in advance if youre entertaining. You can even freeze your marinade for up to 2 months if need be!
- Feel free to use a low sodium soy sauce if youre watching your salt intake.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of dried herbs that can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is typically a blend of dried basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. If you cant find Italian seasoning, you can blend together your own dried herbs in equal amounts.
- The steak in these photos is topped with an herb butter which is super easy to make. Simply combine 1/4 cup softened butter with 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs, 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add a dollop of butter on top of each steak as it comes off the grill.
- This marinade works well with most cuts of beef, I recommend using it on flank steak, New York strip, ribeye, sirloin or filet mignon.
What Are Steak Tips
Most often cut from the sirloin, steak tips are robust and meaty. They can also be cut from varied tender steaks, like flap meat, tri-tip, and coulotte.
We love these uber-tender bits of steak for their lean, full-flavored profile, convenience, and versatility. Yes, you can skewer them and grill them, but they’re good for a lot more than that. We’ll cover some of their many uses later on.
But if you’re reading this anywhere outside the Eastern United States, you may have never even heard of steak tips. This is because they’re largely a regional cut. In New England, they’re a staple of summer barbecues. You’ll find them throughout restaurant menus, no matter how fancy or divey they are.
Steak tips are often marinated in something sweet and tangy, including ingredients like soy sauce, barbecue sauce, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegareven Coca-Cola.
And yes, they’re most often skewered and grilled. But these tender little chunks of steak can add bold flavor in many different waysread below for our tips and recipes for how best to cook steak tips indoors.
You May Like: How To Cook Steak On Indoor Grill
What Do You Marinate Beef In
Make sure your meat is in an enclosed air-tight glass, ceramic or plastic container. Refrain from marinating meat in an aluminium or cast iron container, as this might react with the acid and cause strange flavours in your meat. Always place the marinated meat in the fridge. If you leave it out on your kitchen counter etc. the heat might encourage the growth of bacteria and make you very sick if you consume it. In other words, keep it cool to keep your cool.
If you have access to it, the best way is to vacuum seal the meat with the marinade and then place it in the fridge. Dont have access to a vacuum sealer? No problem! You can also just use a good old Ziploc bag. Place your beef into the bag with your choice of marinade and try to remove most of the air to seal it properly. Place it in the fridge and you are good to go.
What Is A Steak Marinade Recipe Made Of
A steak marinade recipe usually has four basic components:
- Salt Kosher salt, sea salt, or something salty like soy sauce or Worcestershire.
- Oil Because beef is naturally saturated with water, beef wont absorb the oil in the marinade. However, since herbs and spices are oil-soluble, they require the oil to release their full flavor.
- Flavoring Spices and herbs are your friends and theyll add a punch of flavor to any marinade.
- Acid Depending on the desired flavor, many marinades have an acidic liquid like lemon juice or vinegar. The acid helps flavor the beef, but it does not tenderize it.
Recommended Reading: T Bone Steak Price At Walmart
Storing Your New York Steak
Steak is great for leftovers, its the warming up that can be tricky.
- Store: Keep the steak in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Reheat: The best way to warm up your steak without drying it out is to heat it low and slow. Use the oven and warm it up at 200 to 250 degrees till heated through. Or use the microwave at half power, full power will be too hot.
Acid Makes Tougher Cuts Perfectly Tender
The acid component of the marinade is what helps to soften and break down tougher cuts of meat. It tenderizes muscular connective tissue and can completely transform steaks that would be chewy into something that melts in your mouth. Vinegar is a great choice and you can select the perfect flavor based on your preferences and the other ingredients in the marinade. Balsamic, red wine, apple cider or rice vinegar can all be great options depending on what youre cooking. You can also use the acid from citrus fruits like lemon, lime or orange for this part of the marinade.
You May Like: Average Price Of Ribeye Steak
How To Make A Perfect Marinade For Supremely Tender Steak
A great marinade can make the difference between a so-so meal and a memorably mouthwatering dish. You can always buy one at the grocery store, but these premade marinades often have unnecessary additives and preservatives and are way more pricey than creating your own. When you make your own marinade, you have complete control over exactly what goes into it and can adjust accordingly for your taste preferences and the cut of meat youre preparing. In my experience, making things like marinade fresh always takes meals to the next level. Theres nothing like a dinner cooked completely from scratch and made with love. And of course, quality meat makes the best marinade shine that much brighter. Once you understand the guidelines for what makes a marinade work well, youll find that its not only easy to make your own but also really fun to get creative with the ingredients.
Best Steak Marinade In Existence
- cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1½ tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- Step 1
Place the soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, basil, parsley, and pepper in a blender. Add hot pepper sauce and garlic, if desired. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
- Step 2
Pour marinade over desired type of meat. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Cook meat as desired.
Don’t Miss: Why Are Omaha Steaks So Good
What Is A New York Steak
The New York Steak is also known as New York strip steak, ambassador steak, strip loin steak, club steak, or the Omaha Strip. But its most commonly known as the New York Steak. They are the queen of steak in that they are usually not too expensive, they cook up fast, and they are insanely delicious.
- What Kind of Cut is it? Cut from the area of the cow below the backbone, NY strip steaks are tender, lean, and typically boneless. It has a good amount of marbling, which lends a ton of flavor to this evenly, but its not quite as tender as a ribeye or a tenderloin.
- Whats in a Name: The strip steak is called after the city it originated in. New York is known for its steak houses and this cut of beef was one of the firsts and remains a favorite.
- What to Look For: Look for New York Steak that is bright in color with tons of marbling. This what gives the strip steak its flavor and tenderness. Look for a steak thats 1/2-1 inch in thickness. Remember the thicker the steak the longer itll take to cook.
- Nutritional Value of a New York Steak: A 6-oz portion packs in 320 calories, 12 grams of fat, 50 grams of protein, 3.2 milligrams iron, and 9 milligrams zinc. Id say thats a pretty good steak!
Why Marinades Work Magic
- Acidor Enzyme: All great marinades will contain either an acid or an enzyme. In the skirt steak marinade, the lemon juice is our acid. It will weaken the tough fibers of the meat and enhance flavor. Creating tender flavorful meat. Do not over marinate, however, If meat sits in a marinade too long the meat will become mushy, dry, and actually tough.
- Salts: Salt plays an essential role in getting the flavors to penetrate beneath the surface of the meat. Salt is not only add on its own, but the salt found in the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce helps too. First, the salt draws out the moisture from the meat, then as the water is reabsorbed into the meat flavors from the spices and garlic are carried with it. This allows the flavor to get deep inside the meat while helping to break down muscle fibers helping it to tenderize.
- Oil: Oil is important because it helps carry fat-soluble flavors from the spices and pepper, past the surface of the meat, and into it.
- Put it all together: When you combine acid, salts, oils with seasonings, herbs, and even sugars you allow so much more to happen to meat than just a simple brine ever could. You can tenderize tough meat, add flavor deep within and create moist cuts of meat from normally dry ones. Yup, itâs like magic. And this skirt steak marinade has all those ingredients!
Recommended Reading: Omaha Steaks Chicken Breast Review
How Do I Know When Flank Steak Is Done
Flank steak is a lean cut of beef, so it is best not cooked above medium or else it can be tough and chewy instead of juicy. I would aim for medium, meaning it will be pink in the middle. That being said, the marinade gives you a little wiggle room, but I wouldnt push it.
Most steaks will take 5-6 minutes per side but this can vary depending on thickness of your steak and desired level of doneness. The best way to see if your flank steak is cooked properly without overcooking is to use an instant read thermometer.
Insert the instant read thermometer into thickest part of the steak to check the temperature. You want the temperature to register 5°F lower than the desired doneness temperature because the steaks will continue to cook while resting.
- Rare steak: 125 degrees F
- Medium rare: 135 degrees F
- Medium: 145 degrees F *RECOMMENDED*
- Medium well: 155 degrees F
- Medium Well
- Well done: 165 degrees F
NOTE: The USDA recommends steaks and roasts be cooked to 145°F and then rested for at least 3 minutes for safety.
If you like rare or medium-rare steak, then grill steak on high heat so its hot enough to get some color on the outside in a short amount of time
How Do You Soften The Steak
8 easy ways to tenderize meat Physically tender meat. For hard cuts like steak, a meat hammer can be a surprisingly effective way to break down the hard muscle fibers. Use a marinade. Do not forget the salt. Let it come to room temperature. Boil slowly. Achieve the correct internal temperature. Rest the meat. Cut against the grain.
You May Like: Osaka Japanese Sushi & Steak House
S To Make Steak Marinade:
For steak connoisseurs, you know that the difference between a good steak and a GREAT one is the way that it’s marinated. A great marinade recipe can change the entire outcome of your dish! From Korean BBQ-inspired to classic steakhouse, we’ve got a grab-and-grill marinade for every night of the week. Get ready for the BEST Steak Marinade ever! Turn an every day meal into a special occasion with this quick and easy marinade!
So thats going to wrap it up with this exceptional food steak marinade recipe. Thank you very much for your time. Im sure that you can make this at home. Theres gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Dont forget to save this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!
Korean Bbq Steak Tips
These bold, sticky-sweet Korean barbecue steak tips use the pan-sear method to cook up in just 7 minutes!
You’ll want to get a head start and marinate them for at least four hours or even overnight. The custom-made Korean barbecue sauce includes maple syrup, tamari, sesame oil, mirin, garlic, ginger, and sambal chili paste. Once simmered, it reduces into an irresistibly thick and flavorful sauce.
You’ll both marinate your steak tips with this sauce, and reserve some for dipping. Amazing.
Also Check: Wagyu Steak Where To Buy
Does Marinade Tenderise Beef
When using the correct elements to tenderise beef with, then the answer is yes. As mentioned, marinades are meant to break down the proteins in meat, making it softer and more tender. Unlike with trying to , where the fibres are really closely knit and contain a lot of water, beef on the other hand is easier to tenderise due to its looser texture.
How Long Do You Marinate Steak
Even though I swear by the 20-minute time on this marinade, you can soak it for longer. For example, if you have extra time or want to make this marinade in the morning or the night before, you can either make it and marinate it longer or put it all together 20 minutes before you are ready to grill.
If you are using a lesser cut of steak, you can go longer to really tenderize it. If you get in a real pickle or forget about it, your steak will still be good to cook for up to 24 hours in a marinade.
You May Like: What Is The Best Way To Cook A Ribeye Steak
Skirt Steak Vs Flank Steak
- What is the difference between flank steak and skirt steak? Flank steak is a thicker, wider cut of meat than skirt steak. Flank steak and skirt steak come from two different parts of the cow which affects how tough they are. Skirt steak comes from the diaphragm muscle of the cow which contains more tough muscle fibers than flank steak and is therefore tougher these fibers, however, also boat a more intense flavor.
- Can I substitute skirt steak for flank steak? If you want to substitute skirt steak for flank steak, it should only be cooked to rare or medium-rare otherwise it will be too tough and chewy to eat.
Helpful Tools For This Flank Steak Recipe:
- Instant-read thermometer: you need an instant-read thermometer for the juiciest steak, chicken and pork AND for perfectly fried everything! It allows you to cook any protein to the exact temperature every time and allows you to heat oil to the correct temperature for frying.
- Grill brush: is essential for keeping your grill clean! This grill brush with scrapers cleans stubborn stains deeply and efficiently.
- Quality Knives: a chefs knife will be your most used kitchen tool by far! Quality knives make prep time much quicker, are important for safety and essential for finely slicing flank steak. If youre concerned about moola, please remember that your best chef knives, depending on how hard you use them and how well you take care of them, can easily last 25 years or more. I love my Wusthof but there are hundreds of less expensive knives with great reviews such as this one.
- Cutting Board: I use my big solid cutting board daily so its worth the investment. This extra-large cutting board allows you to prep all your veggies on one surface and the bamboo is easier on knives than plastic
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Ribeye Cap Steak
Easy Steak Marinade Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions are our own and we only recommend products that we truly believe in.
Having a good, quick steak marinade recipe is essential during grilling season.
Although we think most cuts taste amazing with only a little salt and pepper, a good steak marinade recipe is great when you want to give the beef an added flavor.
Since we raise beef cattle, we eat a lot of steaks.
There are a few steak marinade recipes that we repeatedly use because theyre easy to make, theyre versatile for multiple recipes, they use common pantry ingredients, and they infuse flavor quickly.
For some of these steak marinades, the steak needs to marinade for as little as 15-minutes to get the flavor.