Best Steak Sandwich Recipe
Who doesnt love juicy meat between fresh crusty bread!?! Its the simplest thing ever but oh so good and an easy sell in my house. We are meat eaters and love fresh baked bread just as much. The only question is what kind of meat, what kind of bread, and what are we going to put on it?
So this grilled Steak Sandwich recipe is amazing! Its got some aspects of a tasty French Dip Sandwich in that its beef topped with perfectly caramelized onions and layered between fresh chewy bread. Yet, different because it calls for flank steak and is spread with pesto just like my Turkey Panini. Its a delicious combination of ingredients with lots of meaty goodness with just the right touch of sweet onion and herby pesto.
This is a really versatile recipe that can be grilled or cooked in a skillet. And you can serve the sandwiches for lunch along with a simple Caesar Salad or for dinner when paired with a big bowl of Roasted Tomato Soup and a side of Air Fryer French Fries.
How To Make Steak Sandwiches
When it is time for dinnner, make sure you have your ingredients prepped because we are serious about this going on the table in 15 minutes.
Preheat your oven and your skillet. You will butter your bread and pot it in the oven to toast.
Toss in your mushrooms and let them begin cooking. Drain your beef and add it to the mushrooms. Youll cook the steak until it reaches your desired temperature. For me thats 4-5 minutes depending on how thinly I cut the beef.
Lots of people love caramelized onions on their steak sandwiches, personally, I cant get enough mushrooms and cheese on mine. But if you love onions, try slicing a red onion super thinly and tossing it in the pan with a little olive oil or butter before cooking your mushrooms. As they begin to soften, add mushrooms and continue with the recipe.
How much time do you normally have to cook dinner for your family? Anyone else in a 15-minute season of life like I am??! Make these beef sandwiches for your family and post a picture on Instagram with #mynourishedhome so that I can share your photos in stories!
How Do I Make My Steak Juicy And Tender
- Let the meat set at room temperature a minimum of 15 minutes before tossing it on the hot grill. This ensures the meat cooks evenly.
- Dont overcook the beef. Leave it on the grill too long and it will dry out. You want to preserve those flavorful juices! The perfect temperature for medium steak is 160 degrees.
- Let it rest before you slice it up. Remove the flank steak from the grill and loosely tent it with aluminum foil to rest for at least 5 minutes before you slice into it. This allows the juices to soak back into the meat for maximum juicy flavor.
- Slice the flank steak thinly and against the grain. Cut crosswise against the muscle fibers so they come apart easily and effortlessly as you chew.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Bone In Ribeye Steaks
Tips & Tidbits For My Steak Sandwich Recipe:
- New York strip steak, or your favorite cut: New York strip steak is a terrific cut for a steak sandwich, and I like to sear it off to medium-rare doneness for juicy and tender strips. You could also use ribeye steak , or even flank or skirt steak , all of which are delicious options.
- Not a fan of blue cheese? No problem: Feel free to skip the preparation of the blue cheese sauce if you’re not a fan of blue cheese. Instead, try some horseradish sauce, Dijon mustard, or even a slice of a cheese for creaminess and added flavor.
- Rustic yet soft bread: I’m opting for ciabatta bread here, a whole loaf which I cut into equal pieces to create sandwiches out of. You could also use larger French rolls, Italian bread, or any other rustic yet soft style of bread or roll. Keep in mind that if the bread is too crusty and/or firm, it may end up being a bit difficult to bite through.
- Prep your steak sandwiches ahead: If you’d like to do some prep on these sandwiches and serve them a day or two later, you can prepare the blue cheese sauce and keep it cold in the fridge. You could caramelize the balsamic onions and keeping those in the fridge as well. Just reheat the onions gently in a pan or in the microwave before serving. Then, simply sear off your steaks, slice ’em, and assemble your steak sandwiches.
What Kind Of Peppers Does Jersey Mikes Use On The Philly Cheesesteak
Jersey Mikes cheesesteak, or the cheese, features peppers from all over the world on its menu. But some of the most popular peppers used on the Philly cheesesteak are from Spain, Greece, and Italy.What kind of peppers does Jersey Mikes use on their Philly cheesesteak? The peppers used on the Philly cheesesteak are made of different types and sizes.
Also Check: How To Grill A Tender Steak
The Best Steak Sandwich Recipe
Dont get me wrong, I love a good Philly cheesesteak sandwich loaded with grilled peppers and onions, but I must say this grilled flank steak sandwich is the absolute BEST!
The recipe is so simple, so flavorful, and definitely worth repeating often. In case youre also looking for a good steak dinner recipe, let me recommend you check out this Cast Iron New York Strip.
The two secrets to the BEST steak sandwich? The coffee dry rub for the steak and the super easy homemade horseradish aioli. Talk about intense flavor!
What Is The Most Common Cheese On A Philly Cheesesteak
A Philly cheesesteak is a sandwich made up of four slices of bread, with cheese on one slice and onions, tomatoes, and JRs sauce on the other. The most common cheese on a Philly cheesesteak is provolone.
There are many different types of cheesesteaks on the citys menu, so its hard to say which cheese is the most common. However, some cheeses are more commonly found on Philly cheesesteaks than others.
Recommended Reading: Steak And Cheese Footlong Calories
Ingredients For A Vegan Mediterranean Sandwich
- Seitan: is an imitation meat product made out of wheat protein, basically vital wheat gluten. We chose to use seitan to get a steak-like texture.
- Shawarma spices: we seasoned the seitan with our popular Homemade Shawarma Spice Mix
- Veggies: we used onions, peppers, and mushrooms for extra flavor
- Tahini Sauce: we used tahini sauce for a touch of creaminess and tanginess. Now that’s one delicious vegan sandwich!
- Garlic and Salt. For additional spice and flavor, we added one garlic clove and salt to taste.
- Aleppo Pepper. Red pepper flakes will work. Adjust to taste depending on how much heat you want.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Turns out this is the perfect marinade. You’ll also need a little for cooking.
- Red Wine Vinegar. Also used for the marinade to provide acidity and extra falvro
- Bread. Pick your favorite bread, such as pocketless pita bread, small hoagie rolls, pita bread, hamburger rolls, baguette, etc.
Does A Philly Cheesesteak Have Sauce
A Philly cheesesteak is a sandwich that includes deep-fried onions, cheese, and a pickled Bonnie of hand. Some people say the sauce is good, while others find it too salty.Philly cheesesteaks are one of the most popular fast food dishes in the United States, and many people know that they include a variety of sauces.
Some people think that the sauce is simply cheese and onions, while others believe that it contains other ingredients such as mayo oretchup. There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it depends on the individuals preference.
Recommended Reading: What Grade Is Omaha Steaks
What Is Slicing Meat Against The Grain
Cutting meat against the grain basically means cutting through the muscle fibers to make them shorter. Doing this makes the meat more tender and easier to chew. In the case of flank steak, the grain is easy to see because the fibers are long and very apparent, so all you need to do is slice through them to cut the steak properly.
Key Ingredients In This Recipe
- Ribeye steak This marbled cut of beef comes from the primal section or beef rib. I love cooking ribeye because it is extremely marbled it is great when its pan-seared and is full of flavor even when prepared simply with kosher salt and pepper.
- Horseradish Prepared horseradish is made from grating the root vegetable and combining it with salt and vinegar. The signature sharp, zingy flavor is the perfect way to enhance the flavor of a beef sandwich when combined with a bit of mayonnaise.
- Arugula I top the salad with peppery wild arugula tossed in a bit of olive oil and white wine vinegar for added flavor.
- Ciabatta Ciabatta is a porous, rustic white bread from Italy. With a chewy crust and an airy texture, this bread is perfect for a steak sandwich. If you cant find ciabatta rolls, simply cut a loaf of ciabatta bread into 4 slices.
- Provolone This semi-soft Italian cheese with a mild flavor and smooth, creamy texture is similar to low-moisture mozzarella. It melts well, complementing the tender steak on this sandwich.
Don’t Miss: Lobel’s Mail Order Steaks
How To Make Blackstone Philly Cheesesteak
In order to make a cheesesteak on a Blackstone griddle, one must first ensure that the griddle is preheated to an appropriate temperature. This can be facilitated by using a thermometer to gauge the heat level before beginning preparation. Once the griddle is heated, thinly-sliced steak should be placed in an even layer across the surface. After allowing for adequate searing time, the steak should be flipped and combined with your favorite toppings.
Step One: Preheat the griddle to medium-high heat.
Step Two: Add the oil and then place on the steak, mushrooms, and onions. Season with black pepper and salt.
Step Three: Place the roll with the cut side down on the flat griddle. Cook for one minute, then flip and cook for an additional minute.
Step Four: Top the steak and vegetables with the cheese.
Step Five: Once cooked, place on the grilled bread. Serve.
What Is Flank Steak
Also commonly known as London Broil, this cut of beef comes from the cows underside below the loin. Lean and flavorful, flank steak is normally marinated for maximum tenderness. In todays recipe, however, the coffee-flavored dry rub infused the meat with plenty of flavor and the cut remained extremely tender.
Read Also: What Is A Ribeye Steak
Tips For Tenderizing Steak
No one wants a bland, tough steak sandwich!
- Let the Meat Come to Room Temperature Before Searing. Cold steaks wont cook uniformly and may become tough.
- SeasonGenerously. Salt and pepper bring out the best in steak.
- Dont Overcook. Keep an instant-read thermometer nearby, and make sure you remove your steaks from the heat when they reach an internal temperature of 125 degrees F. The residual heat will continue to cook them a little as they sit. Medium-rare steak should be cooked to about 135 degrees F.
- Wait to Slice. Once youve removed your steak from the skillet, cover it with aluminum foil and wait at least 10 minutes before slicing it into strips. This results in a juicier, better-tasting steak because the juices can reincorporate into the meat.
- Slice THIN and Across the Grain. One of the best ways to tenderize steak is to ensure you cut it across the grain, which breaks down fibers. Thinner slices also produce more tender steak.
How Do I Choose Good Meat To Cook For A Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich
It’s all about the marbling. You want a little bit of marbling in the meat so that it has some fat content to it – and stays moist. The last thing that you want to have happen is to have the meat dry out, making it tough and chewy.
The good thing about this easy sandwich is that adding the cheese on top will help to add moisture back to the meat if you do overcook it at all. You’re covered if that happens!
You also need to be aware of the thickness of the meat. It needs to be thin for this sandwich to have the right texture and taste. If the meat is cut too thick, it will be hard to chew and overpower the rest of the flavors.
Have the butcher cut the steak thin or ask for it shaved. You can also tell them that you’re making a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, which will give them an idea of how to cut it for you.
Like what you see? ! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & a 5-star rating right here! Make sure you dont miss new recipes by getting email updates!
You May Like: Best Indoor Grill For Cooking Steaks
The Best Steak For Sandwiches
I opted to use a strip steak for my steak sandwiches, but its certainly not the only cut of beef that works well.
When selecting steak for sandwiches, look for ones with a nice balance of lean meat and fat. Here are a few of my favorite cuts of steak for sandwiches:
- NY strip steaks
- Flank steak or skirt steakIf you go this route, be sure to marinade first to tenderize the meat .
No matter the cut you choose, slice the steak against the grain THINLY . This will make the steak easier to bite through on the sandwich and give the meat a better mouth feel.
- Red Onion + Dijon Mustard. For perfect tangy caramelized onions, a bit of Dijon takes these onions to next-level yum and pairs nicely with the fig and Brie.
- Fig Jam. In lieu of a steak sandwich sauce or a steak sandwich with au jus, I used fig jam for a touch of added elegance and ease. Its sweetness plays well with the savory steak and cheese without overpowering it.
Why Youll Love This Steak Sandwich
- Easy To Make! This simple sandwich can be made in just 3 easy steps with or without a grill. And you can use store-bought or homemade pesto. Its totally up to you.
- Savory Herby Deliciousness! When juicy grilled steak is topped with yummy pesto and slow cooked caramelized onions its a culinary home run!
- Versatile Recipe! Steak sandwiches are super versatile. They can be served for lunch or dinner, hot or cold, and cooked to your preferred temperature of doneness.
Also Check: Quaker Steak And Lube Oil Change
What Goes Good With Steak Sandwiches
What could be more perfect than steak and potatoes?! Here are a few of my favorite potato side dishes to serve with steak sandwiches. Oh, and I threw in a delicious onion ring suggestion, too!
- Grilled French Fries Since youll have the grill going anyway, why not try these delicious hand-cut Grilled French Fries with Spicy Ketchup? They get nice and crispy on the outside and stay fluffy on the inside without a deep fryer!
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes Seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and garlic, these crispy Oven Roasted Red Potatoes are finished with a drizzle of quality aged balsamic vinegar.
- Roasted Red Potato Salad This is my favorite go-to recipe for a quick and delicious picnic side dish.
- Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings Breaded with panko, these healthier onion rings are tender on the inside and nicely crisp on the outside.
To Make This Recipe You May Need
You can gently press tongs into the cooked steak to determine its doneness with this touch test guide found with my Pan-Seared NY Strip recipe. To be totally accurate, however, use a quick read digital thermometer. I love my OXO Instant Read Thermocouple and use it for any kind of meat that Im grilling or cooking indoors.
Recommended Reading: Steak And Shake Carry Out
Tips And Tricks For This Recipe
Swaps and substitutions
- Try swapping the arugula for another green like spinach.
- Leftover steak or even deli-sliced roast beef can be used in this recipe.
- Instead of horseradish mayonnaise, regular mayonnaise can be used. Try combining mayonnaise with 1 clove of minced garlic for a quick garlic mayo if you arent a fan of horseradish.
- Try adding a bit of Worcestershire sauce over the steak for an additional boost of flavor.
How to Grill Boneless Ribeye
Instead of pan-searing the steak in a cast iron skillet, it can also be made on the grill. Heat a gas grill to medium-high heat, about 450ºF . Add the ribeyes to the grill and sear, for 4 minutes. Keep an eye out for flare-ups. If a flare-up occurs and lasts for more than a few seconds, move the steaks out of the fire to prevent overcooking them. Flip and cook the steaks until medium-rare, about an additional 4 minutes. The internal temperature of the steak should be 130ºF . Continue with the grilled ribeye steak as directed in the recipe.
How To Cook Philly Cheese Steak
If youre looking for a delicious and easy way to cook philly cheese steak, this is the perfect guide. Start by heating up some oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add your steak and cook it until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Then set aside in a plate to rest. Repeat with the remaining steak. Pour your sauce into a small bowl and top the steak with it before serving.
Don’t Miss: Phone Number For Omaha Steak Company
How To Make Our Mediterranean Sandwich Recipe
Vegan sandwich-making does not have to be complicated at all. First, marinate the seitan and veggies with spices, olive oil, and vinegar. The easiest way to do this is to put it all down into a plastic zipper baggy. I like to use freezer-quality bags so that they can handle the weight of the ingredients without leaking.
Once the sandwich ingredients have marinaded, sauté it all in a hot skillet until the veggies are ready and the seitan is browning. Mix up the homemade tahini sauce while the sandwich ingredients are cooking and serve your veggie sandwich on a hoagie bun or similar small sandwich roll.