Soups With Your Sandwich
One of the best things to pair with a delicious steak sandwich, is a nice bowl of soup. Here are a few soups to try if youre looking to make this sandwich into a meal.
- Mulligatawny Soup is a creamy, curry soup with Indian origins. Its a soul-warming soup with sweet-smoky flavor with chicken, rice, golden raisins, carrots and apples spiced with curry and thyme.
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup is a rich, savory comfort soup that is perfect for fall and winter. Top with croutons and roasted pecans.
- Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is a warm, delightful bowl of comfort food. Its the easiest soup together and is always a family favorite.
What Cut Of Meat Is Used For Philly Cheesesteak
Ribeye is the steak of choice for Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. It is well-marbled and tender when cooked. Another cut that we have used with great results is flank steak which is lean but very tender when cut against the grain. You will need a little extra oil on your cooking surface if using flank steak.
Tender Juicy Steak Piled Into A Sandwich
We love a good steak in our household, love to sear or grill it up and serve tender, medium-rare slices with a side of baby potatoes, salad, or with a simple chimichurri sauce.
But then there are times when we crave our steak presented as a bistro-style steak sandwich, piled up on soft, rustic bread with loads of fresh flavorful ingredients to make things extra enticing and delectable.
Because I’m a big fan of blue cheese with steak, my steak sandwich recipe includes a cool and creamy blue cheese sauce to slather generously onto ciabatta bread for even more savoriness.
I also love sweet and earthy caramelized balsamic onions, so I mound those up on top of the rich, beefy slices of New York strip steak along with spicy arugula and slices of fresh tomato.
Enjoyed out on the patio under the sun with a refreshing soda, or around a candle-lit dinner table with a glass of good red wine, this steak sandwich is our latest favorite sandwich to prepare when we’re craving the flavor of a good steak served in a casual yet delicious way!
Also Check: Premium Steaks And Seafood Truck Reviews
What Steak Should I Use For Steak Sandwiches
To keep dinner time preparation short and sweet, I look for ways to simplify when I am in the grocery store. You can use lots of different cuts of beef for steak sandwiches. But the goal is to have a nice, tender slice of beef you neither need to gnaw or cut with a knife.
More expensive cuts like beef tenderloin, filet, or sirloin make FABULOUS steak sandwiches. But they are spend-y.
You can get a tender steak sandwich with less expensive cuts like flank steak or skirt steak. The trick is to cut against the grain and at an angle. If you REALLY want to create a shortcut, just ask your butter to cut the steak thin so you can sauté the beef for steak sandwiches.
Every grocery store has a butcher, you dont have to be at a specialty meat shop. And it doesnt matter if the meat is already wrapped up and in the cooler. If you carry it to the counter and ask the butcher to help, they have specialty equipment that will handle your thin cuts in minutes. And they are happy to wrap it again for you.
Dont rule out a good looking beef roast. They cut beautifully into slices too!
Why Have Another Boring Barbecue When You Can Have These Sandwich Steak Sandwiches
Need an easy summer dinner?
Almost every butcher or supermarket Ive been in sells a super thin steak called sandwich steak.
When cooked for a long time, these steaks dry up. But with a good marinade and a quick grill, theyre fantastic. And as the name suggests, these steaks are best enjoyed in a sandwich.
Since Im usually rushing, I typically skip any recipe that calls for steaks to be prepped in advance and marinated for a really long time. But hear me out. This marinade is so quick to prepare, you can really prep, forget about it, and then have dinner ready in minutes.
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs sandwich steaks
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Recommended Reading: Companies Similar To Omaha Steaks
What Steak To Use For Steak Sandwich
Its best to use a tender cut for this recipe. Rib eye, sirloin steak, T-bone steak and strip steak are all great options. My personal favorite is sirloin steak for its rich flavor, plus its a budget-friendly option.
You can simply pan sear the steak with salt and pepper, following the complete instructions in my Pan Seared Sirloin Steak post. I like to cook the steak medium-rare with a temperature of 130°F . Be sure to let the seared steak rest for 5 minutes for maximum juiciness.
Cut it thinly against the grain, and dont worry if the meat shreds somewhat as itll be super-delicious inside the sandwich!
What Is A Philly Cheesesteak
In the United States, the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is constructed with ultra-thin slices of ribeye steak topped with caramelized onions and provolone cheese. That basic combo is the original classic, which became famous on the East Coast due to its accessibility. However, while the Philly Cheesesteak has been adapted on the West Coast to add bell peppers and mushrooms, a real Philly consists solely of steak, onion, and cheese, all served over a bun.
Read Also: What Is The Best Way To Marinate A Steak
How To Make A Steak And Cheese Sandwich
Tips & Tidbits For My Steak Sandwich Recipe:
- New York strip steak, or your favorite cut: New York strip steak is a terrific cut for a steak sandwich, and I like to sear it off to medium-rare doneness for juicy and tender strips. You could also use ribeye steak , or even flank or skirt steak , all of which are delicious options.
- Not a fan of blue cheese? No problem: Feel free to skip the preparation of the blue cheese sauce if you’re not a fan of blue cheese. Instead, try some horseradish sauce, Dijon mustard, or even a slice of a cheese for creaminess and added flavor.
- Rustic yet soft bread: I’m opting for ciabatta bread here, a whole loaf which I cut into equal pieces to create sandwiches out of. You could also use larger French rolls, Italian bread, or any other rustic yet soft style of bread or roll. Keep in mind that if the bread is too crusty and/or firm, it may end up being a bit difficult to bite through.
- Prep your steak sandwiches ahead: If you’d like to do some prep on these sandwiches and serve them a day or two later, you can prepare the blue cheese sauce and keep it cold in the fridge. You could caramelize the balsamic onions and keeping those in the fridge as well. Just reheat the onions gently in a pan or in the microwave before serving. Then, simply sear off your steaks, slice ’em, and assemble your steak sandwiches.
Also Check: Best Way To Prepare Wagyu Steak
Steak Sandwich Recipe Tips & Tricks:
Here are some of my top tips and tricks to help you make this dish:
- Cut the grilled steak across the grain to ensure you have a tender cut. Cutting against the grain helps the steak melt in your mouth and will improve the overall eating experience.
- Adding salt to your marinade helps the flavors penetrate the steak.
- If you find sirloin flap meat, you can swap that for skirt steak.
- A little horseradish goes a long way, and you can always add more, so dont go overboard.
Make Sandwiches To Stretch Steak Further
This magnificent steak sandwich tastes every bit as delicious as it seems, yet it wont set you back a lot to prepare. This dish makes use of a single pound of inexpensive sirloin steak which typically costs 10 to 12 dollars a pound and turns it into a substantial supper that would easily fill the entire table. As an alternative to just transferring the slices of steak to the dinner plate, make this hearty main dish even more filling by converting it into a sandwich with toppings that dress it up and balance the fattiness of the meat.
That is pretty much everything we look for in an excellent recipe!
Read Also: Smoking Steaks On A Pellet Grill
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak:
This is one of our quickest sandwich recipes, requiring little preparation and even less cooking time. Its a 30-minute dinner, total. This dish may be prepared on the stovetop, a flat cooktop, or a griddle.
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For A Philly Cheese Steak Skillet
When it comes to making this cheese steak skillet, the ideal cut of beef is going to be the same as it is for a conventional Philly cheese steak sandwich: ribeye. However, ribeye tends to be on the more expensive side of the spectrum when it comes to meat cuts, so we recommend choosing skirt steak or flat iron instead.
Look for plenty of marbling in whichever cut you pick, whether its a ribeye, skirt steak, or flat iron. The tenderness of these three pieces of beef will be enhanced even more when they are sliced extremely thin.
Read Also: How To Cook Steak On Barbecue
How To Make A Philly Cheese Steak Skillet
When it comes to this cheese steak skillet, the ideal piece of meat is going to be the same as it is for a conventional Philly cheese steak sandwich: ribeye steak. We recommend utilizing skirt steak or flat iron instead of ribeye because ribeye tends to be on the more expensive side when it comes to meat cuts. Look for a lot of marbling in your steak, whether its a ribeye, skirt steak, or flat iron. Any of these three cuts of beef, when sliced extremely thin, will produce incredibly tender results, regardless of the cut.
How Do You Tenderize Steak For Sandwiches
Add 1 cup of liquid acidic ingredients for each pound of beef to a small mixing bowl. This can include one or more ingredients, such as all soy sauce or a combination of 1/2 cup each of low-sodium soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. These ingredients work to soften the bonds of the connective tissue and tenderize the meat.
You May Like: Omaha Steaks Door To Door
Sandwich Steak And Onions:
I don’t have a special story to go with this recipe. I’m not even sure why we call them sandwich steaks, because I’ve never actually eaten them in a sandwich . I vaguely remember my Grandma once referring to them as Pepper Steaks, but I can’t be completely sure she was actually referring to this recipe.
At the end of the day, it’s all about keeping it simple. Just taking a couple basic ingredients and combining them in a way that creates the most amazing flavors!
In truth, I haven’t always had the best of luck with these. Don’t get me wrong, the flavor is consistently on point and incredibly delicious. I used to have a hard time believing you could get so much flavor from so few ingredients!
You’ll want to let these simmer for a while and keep reducing the juices to build that flavor. My grandma used to have them done in under an hour and they were fall-apart tender. In the past when I’ve made them, they were simply not tender enough at that one hour mark so I let them go a little longer. They were still delicious even when they weren’t falling apart, but it’s that incredible tender texture that really takes them over the top.
But I tried these in a similar way to one of my other popular posts, Drunken Pork Chops and kept them simmering over medium heat while keeping the skillet covered and they came out pretty tender and still super flavorful.
How Do You Tenderize A Sandwich Steak
You could use a marinade that includes acidic ingredients to break down any connective tissue, but the best way to tenderise a sandwich steak is to use a tenderising hammer, or meat tenderiser. Place your sandwich steaks on a wooden chopping board and, using the textured side of the tenderising hammer, pound your steaks until they are nice and thin.
Also Check: Steak And Shake Gainesville Fl
What Goes On A Traditional Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Sliced ribeye steak
- White American cheese
- Shaved ribeye steak
- Shaved ribeye Season with salt and pepper and add pan juices. It is available with or without sautéed onions.
- Ingredients for a cheesesteak
- In a medium-sized pan, saute the onions in the butter until they are translucent. Before you cook the steak, season it with salt and pepper. Remove the onions and cook the steak in batches.
More Delicious Steak Recipes
This recipe is perfect for Labor Day, tailgating, or any other cookout you have planned. Its quick and straightforward to make- with just a few ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store. I hope this steak sandwich will be the star of all your future gatherings! Leave me a 5 Star Review below in the comments section if you loved it as much as I do.
MY NEWSLETTER for easy and free recipes right into your inbox!
To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the Pin button on the recipe card, the sharing buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
Tag me @kennethtemple_ on to share your remakes with me, and dont forget to leave a star rating and comment below.
Recommended Reading: High Quality Steak Knife Set
Key Ingredients For Best Cheesesteak Recipe
- Beef | Shaved beef, steak or thinly sliced cube, round steak, even flank steak or skirt steak will work.
- Butter | Dont knock it, it adds a ton of flavor!
- Caramelized onions | Wit or Wit Out? You need these drool worthy onions in your best cheesesteak recipe
- Seasoning salt | Adds complex flavor, easily!
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce | Add or keep out, totally optional, but at least serve with hot sauce!
- Toasted sub rolls | You definitely want to toast your rolls!
The Ultimate Steak Sandwich
I watched Selena and Chef a few times as sometimes, I like to go back and re-watch some of my favorite episodes. The Curtis Stone episode of Selena and Chef where they make steak sandwiches, potato chips and a lemon curd dessert is one of them. After watching this, you will immediately want to run into your kitchen and make this. This is what I did but the next day.
I dont remember what cut of beef Curtis uses, maybe filet mignon? I dont remember but I used ribeye. You can use whatever you want. I followed my method of how to cook steaks at home.
You May Like: Zwilling Stainless 8 Pc Steak Set
What Kind Of Bread To Use For This Recipe
My favorite bread for this steak sandwich recipe is ciabatta, but you can use other crusty breads like French bread , sourdough, Turkish bread or even hoagies. I like to toast the bread with butter for extra flavor.
Then its just a matter of assembling the sandwich! It has absolutely incredible flavor and really easy to make, so enjoy!
Steak Sandwich = Best Sandwich
Warm and juicy, with melty Provolone and a handmade garlic aioli on top, this sandwich is a must-try. You only need to memorize one steak sandwich recipe, and this is it. Plan to share because our recipe produces three sandwiches. Season your steak generously with salt and pepper. Never scrimp on the seasonings, especially salt and pepper. A generous sprinkling of both will elevate the flavor of your sandwich to a whole new level. The Grain Is Against You Its a nightmare to bite into a steak sandwich and have to chew for 30 seconds just to get a single mouthful out of it.
- It not only keeps the steak tender, but it also looks fantastic!
- Please share your experience with us in the comments box below!
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced a half teaspoon of kosher salt a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil 1/2c.mayonnaise the zest of half a lemon peppercorns that have been freshly ground In the case of the Skirt Steak 1 pound skirt steak extra-virgin olive oil is a kind of extra-virgin olive oil.
- peppercorns that have been freshly ground Regarding the Sandwiches Rolls should be toasted with butter.
- a quarter-pound of sliced provolone fresh arugula greens 8 peppadew peppers, peeled and sliced
Also Check: How To Cook Steak On Grill