How To Cook Strip Steak
Strip steaks are easy to cook on the grill, under the broiler, or in a cast-iron skillet on the stovetop. You can also sear them in a skillet and then transfer it to a preheated 425 F oven to finish cooking.
Let the steaks come to room temperature on the counter for at least 30 minutes before you cook them so they cook evenly. Pat them dry with paper towels so you can get a good sear quickly. And don’t be afraid to use some butter with this leaner cut.
How To Cook Beef New York Strip Steak
Remember to remove your Beef New York Strip Steak out of the packaging, pat dry and bring to room temperature
Pre heat your griddle or heavy based frying pan until it sizzles when you add a drop of oil
Season the meat just prior to cooking
Dont overcrowd the cooking base, a couple of medium sized steaks per pan
Place the steaks on the fat to render before searing on the flat sides
Cook over high heat turning the steak only once after a rich, golden crust has formed, reduce the heat to medium when crust has formed
Cook 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium rare
Finish by adding a large knob of butter when frying or on the griddle
Leave to rest in a warm place at least 5 minutes before carving
The meat will become more firm as it cooks, gently press with your thumb, the more spring back you get the hotter the protein cells have expand which means the more well done your meat is, for a medium rare steak it should have a soft feel with a little spring back
Award winning meat
What Does Strip Steak Taste Like
A cut favored for its beefy flavor, strip steaks are usually boneless, but the bone-in version is sometimes called a shell steak or club steak. The bone adds flavor and moisture, in addition to making the steak more impressive-looking, which is why you often see them served in steakhouses and fine restaurants.
Where To Buy Strip Steak
Whether you buy strip steaks pre-packaged at the grocery store or freshly cut from a butcher, look for the ones cut from the rib end or the center of the strip loin. It’s easy to tell the difference by looking at the shape of the steak.
Look for a cut that’s wide and relatively straight, without much difference in width from top to bottom. The fat around the edge should be trimmed to about 1/8 of an inch all the way around. Avoid steaks that are kind of wavy, or shaped like a question mark, or have one end that is substantially more narrow than the other. These are from closer to the sirloin end and less desirable.
Indeed, you might even see something called a “center-cut” strip steak, which sounds like it must be from the center. But all it means is that it can’t be the last one from the sirloin end. The worst you can get with a center-cut strip steak is one that has a small piece of the gluteus medius, but it won’t be visible on both sides of the steak.
Are New York Steaks Tough
Often referred to as NY Strip Steak or New York Strip Steak, short-lout cuts from cows originate from the loin. In addition to the fact it isnt as tender as filet, it is more tender with no fat and an easier texture. In addition, its easy to eat and is lean as well, which helps make for a 21 Day Fix that works well.
Read Also: How Long Can Omaha Steaks Stay Frozen
New York Striploin Steak
New York Striploin Steaks are fantastic on the Grill, with very little effort. No need to use a marinade ahead of time. Similar size to the Ribeye and a bit more economical, they are sure to be a crowd-pleaser every time. They have a little less marbling than a Ribeye but a lot more than the Tenderloins. The flavour and quality make it a favorite for grill lovers everywhere. We recommend cooking this steak to Medium for best results but cook it how you like it!Pictures with 1 steak featured are Wagyu varieties and steaks with 2 pictured are Grass Finished.8 oz steaks are 225 grams
Shop by farm
Perfect New York Strip Steak
New York strip steak is amazing. It’s nice and tender and it has a marvelous fatty edge and a beefy flavor.
So how to cook it? Sear it in a hot cast-iron skillet, then finish it in the oven. You’ll get a deep brown crusty exterior and a juicy interior, just like in a steakhouse.
Every time I order a steak at a good steakhouse, I’m in awe. It always comes out perfect – a thick delicious crust on the outside, super juicy medium-rare meat on the inside.
How do they do it? The secret is to cook the steak in two stages. First, you sear it in a super-hot cast-iron skillet. Then you finish cooking it in the oven. That’s how they do it in restaurants, and that’s how you should do it at home to achieve perfect results.
Recommended Reading: Seasoning Steak Overnight
Cooking A New York Strip Steak To Perfection
Ruths favorite strip was a medium rare steak, charred though well prepare yours however you prefer. Slightly firmer than a Ribeye but with less marbling, a medium rare steak preparation after our proprietary aging process and simple seasoning brings out the rich, beefy flavor of this Prime cut.If youre preparing at home, we recommend using a cast iron skillet or grill, giving both sides a nice char, then cooking to your desired doneness. Remember that steaks will continue to cook for a few minutes after theyre removed from the heat, so let it rest for 5 minutes or so before serving.
How Do You Grill A 2 Inch Steak
To grill this steak using direct high heat, follow instructions below cook meat 20 25 minute for raw, 28 30 minute after grilling. This will make the steak tender and juicy. You can also cook this beef using indirect heat method. Follow instructions here. If you want to cook the beef directly on grill, you should follow the instructions given below. But if need to grill the steaks on indirect way, please follow following steps. For indirect cooking, place the grill pan over the direct fire and wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Frozen Steaks Delivered
Is Beef Loin Strip Steak Good For Grilling
Steak heads of all shapes and sizes include Kansas City and New York strip, but the top loin strip steak is popular and goes into various forms. Grilling this prime rib-eye in the backyard with this beef is a smart choice, since its cooking techniques are easy, tender, yet also well-marbled as opposed to the way rib-eye does have burn-out fat pockets.
Is It Better To Cook A Steak In The Oven Or Stove
While cooking on both methods, you should always make sure the temperature is right for your meat, especially when cooking over a gas or electric stove. If you dont have a thermometer, try using a meat therm gauge. This will tell you the internal temperature of your beef or chicken. You can also use a cooking thermograph to check the actual internal temp of any meat you are cooking. For example, if your steak is done, put it in cold water and let it sit for 10 minutes before cooking it. Then, place it back in hot water for about 5 minutes. After this, turn the steak over and cook it again for another 5-10 minutes until it reaches the desired internal temperatures.
Don’t Miss: Larry’s Steaks Menu Rising Sun
What Is The Difference Between A Strip Loin And A Tenderloin
The New York Strip steak is also a boneless cut that comes from the short loin area behind the ribs. The major difference between it and a tenderloin, such as a filet mignon, is that the New York Strip comes with a strip of fat along one edge of the cut. Youll also find fat marbling throughout the steak.
Storing Your New York Steak
Steak is great for leftovers, its the warming up that can be tricky.
- Store: Keep the steak in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Reheat: The best way to warm up your steak without drying it out is to heat it low and slow. Use the oven and warm it up at 200 to 250 degrees till heated through. Or use the microwave at half power, full power will be too hot.
Also Check: Mcdonalds Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Recipe
My Favorite Quick Pan Sauce For Steak
Whenever you cook steak on the stove you have the opportunity to make a quick, easy, and insanely delicious pan sauce. There are so many variations on this, but the basics are the same
- After removing the steak from the pan assess the amount of juices and fat remaining. If it is minimal, melt a few pats of butter into it. Add minced garlic if there isnt any in the pan already and saute minute.
- You now want to add some sort of liquid to the pan to form the base for your sauce, this can be wine stock, or even a splash of water. Stir to dissolve any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, this is your flavor.
- Season with fresh or dried herbs if you like, I love to add fresh rosemary.
- Let the liquid reduce a little bit, depending on how much you added this will just take a minute or two. If there are any juices from the plate where the steak has been resting, add them now.
- Spoon over the steak as you serve it.
Note: dont expect a huge amount of saucepan sauces are meant to be drizzled judiciously over your meat. Expect a thin, highly reduced sauce that will give up a punch of flavor as you serve.
Of course if youre feeling up to it you can always make an incredible chimichurri sauce for your steak
Temperatures For Your Ideal New York Steak
When you cook a steak, the best way to check the temperature is to use an instant read probe style thermometer. Stick the thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to read its temperature. Remember that the best thing you can do for a steak, or any piece of meat is to let it rest. When it rests it will continue to rise in temperature, about 3-4 degrees at least. You will want to remove your steak right before it reaches its optimum temperature and let it finish cooking while it rests. This will result in the most succulent steak. I dont recommend cooking your New York Steak above 150 degrees, as it will become dry and tough.
- Rare: 130 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees Fahrenheit
- For Medium: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium Well: 150 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well Done: 160 degrees Fahrenheit
Read Also: Steak Of The Month Club Butchers Market
Is New York Strip Steak Tender
An average NY strip features a fine grain and a high medium content of fats. They are relatively hard to chew, despite the quality and nutrition. Since there are no significant portions of fat in them, it is easy to trim, cook, and eat them. Thanks to high marbling, a robust beefy flavor, and a low fat content, they are ideal for barbecuing.
Which Steak Is Most Tender
The bottom sirrah is best suited for those who prefer a medium-rare cut. Top sirelle is the best cut for prime rib, which is often served with mashed potatoes. Striploin would be the choice for any steak that requires a long cooking time. Steak is always cooked to medium rare, so the top should be tender enough to be served without being too tough. If you want to cook it to rareness, you should use the same cooking method as the bottom, i.e. pan frying. Use a thermometer to ensure that the steak reaches the desired temperature. When done, remove it from heat and allow it rest for 10 minutes. Then cut it in half and serve.
Also Check: Seasoning For Ribeye
Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
Oven recipes are super popular here at Wholesome Yum, and its time to add one more: how to cook New York strip steak in the oven! This New York strip steak recipe is made with just 5 pantry staples to let the flavor shine.
If you like this New York strip steak recipe, youll have to try out my other oven steak recipes: filet mignon, sirloin steak, and flank steak. They all use this tried and true stovetop-to-oven method that cooks your steaks perfectly every time. You can also make surf and turf with New York strip.
Tips For Making Strip Steak
As I mentioned earlier, strip steak is extremely easy to make and doesnt require a lot of ingredients or fuss. With this in mind, here are some of the most important things to focus on when grilling strip steak:
- Get your grill hot, hot, hot! Turn on your grill as high as itll go, and make sure to allow the grill to fully preheat before cooking your steaks. A nice, hot grill is key to ensuring these steaks cook perfectly and remain nice and juicy.
- #restingbutter. That compound butter? Its just a tiny bit magic. By placing your hot steaks directly on the butter while it rests makes for the most flavorful steak ever. Do not skip this step! This resting butter is a complete game-changer, and youll never eat strip steaks without it again.
- Use a reliable thermometer. Make sure you are using a trusty meat thermometer to keep track of the internal temperature of your steaks while they are on the grill. My family prefers steaks cooked to medium-rare, but as always, cook to the doneness you prefer. I highly recommend cooking your steaks to medium-rare or medium for maximum flavor and juiciness. Anything over medium begins to dry out and become tougher to chew.
Is Beef Loin New York Steak Tender
Well, yes, we do have a beef industry here in New Jersey, which is why we have the beefloin. But what is the strip steaks? Strip steels are a cut from our beef ribeye. Theyre similar to New Yorker steakhouses, except theyre not as expensive. And they come from a shorter section than the rib eye, so they tend to be a little more tender than ribeyes. You can find them in supermarkets and butcher shops. If youre looking for something to cook with, try them.
Ny Strip With 5 Minute Marinade & Bruschetta Salad
- 2eaButcherBox NY Strip Steaks
- ½cextra virgin olive oil
- 2TbspItalian seasoning
- ½tspchili flakesoptional
- 1ccherry tomatoeshalved
- ½ smallred onionsmall dice
- 1cmini fresh mozzarella ballsstrained
- ½ccroutonsomit from recipe for Gluten Free or Keto version
- 1Tbspfresh basilchopped
- 1Tbspfresh oreganochopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring steaks to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all marinade ingredients. Pour ¼ c over steaks and let them sit at room temp for 5 minutes.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large salad bowl, and dress with remaining marinade.
- Preheat cast-iron skillet. Once skillet is hot, sear steaks on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side or until a nice crust forms.
- Place pan in oven for 5 more minutes, or until thermometer inserted in thickest part of steak reads 120°F.
- Let steaks rest for at least 8 minutes before slicing. Serve alongside salad and enjoy!
Which Is Better Ribeye Or New York Strip Steak
Many people consider the ribeye more tender than New York strip, as it is highly marbled. However, the New York strip is considered healthier than ribeye since it has fewer fats. Shape and Size Ribeye and NY strip have similar sizes and shapes. The difference is that ribeye is usually sold with bones.
Best Way To Grill Ny Strip Steak
Follow my tips on how to grill New York strip steak for the best results every time:
- This recipe for grilled New York strip steak is for medium-rare steaks. If you prefer your steaks further done, add an additional minute to each rotation of the steak. For rare, reduce it by 15-20 seconds each rotation. Cook time may need to be adjusted for differently sized cuts of beef – I use 12 ounce strip steaks.
- If you dont want the diamond grill marks, you can simply cook the steak on each side for 3 minutes.
- You can grill strip steak the same exact way in an oiled cast iron skillet.
You May Like: Steak Eze Sams
What Is The Best Tasting Steak For Grilling