What To Serve With Steak
Nothing pairs more perfectly with steak than potatoes and vegetables. Try this marinated steak recipe with any of these side dishes for a winning meal!
- Flank Steak
- Skirt Steak
How Do You Soak Your Marinading Steak
You can place your steak in a bag with the marinade. Then every little bit you can go and grab the bag and massage the meat to really help infuse the marinade into the steak more to give your steak the best chance of those rich flavors soaking in. Or if you want you can use an airtight container.
For anyone curious, I massage my steak about once an hour when I am marinading it.
How Long To Marinade
As little as 20 to 30 minutes will transfer lots of taste to your steaks. I like to get a few hours if I have time. Please refrigerate for food safety.
Up to 8 hours is fine, and some recommend up to 24 hours. But due to the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce with vinegar, it can affect the texture if marinaded for over 8 hours.
Also Check: Victorinox Swiss Army Steak Knives
What Is New York Strip Steak
The shell section of a steer is the loin area or the “lower back” with the tenderloin removed but the bones left intact. When the bone is removed it becomes a “strip.”
An entire strip can be grilled in its entirety, but most commonly it is cut into smaller steaks called “strip steaks” or the New York cut, hence the name “New York strip.” Approximately 10 to 14 New York strips can be cut from the original large strip. These cuts originated from a New York City restaurant back in the 1800s, and the name of the city stuck and became the descriptive name for this cut of strip steak.
Thick steak cut
Key Ingredients For Marinades
- Fat: You could use almost any oil for your marinade, but we love olive oil for its flavor and quality. It has a smoke point that is lower than avocado or peanut oil, but it still prevents sticking and adds flavor.
- Acid: Balsamic or red wine vinegar and even lemon juice are said to help tenderize tough cuts of meat, but more importantly their sharp flavor counters both the salinity of a well-seasoned steak and the rich flavor produced from the grill. Bonus: The natural sugars in vinegar caramelize, making for really great grill marks!
- Salt: What doesnt salt bring to the party? It seasons the steak, aids in moisture retention, and tenderizes. Dont skimp on it here!
- Flavor enhancers: If all marinades are effectively made from the same four components, this is the one place to make yours unique. Mustard is one of our go-to flavor enhancers because it packs a lot of flavor in a little punch and everyone has it in the fridge. Try a few smashed cloves of garlic and let them marinate too. Got some green onions? Throw them in as well.
You May Like: Chicken Fried Steak Patties Frozen
More Delicious Steak Recipes
Steak is juicy, tender and so good! If you love steak, you know that you do not need much to make it taste good. A good piece of meat will be naturally full of flavor. There are so many ways though to add flavor, texture and create fabulous meals with steak. It is important to compliment steak and not drown it in too much. These recipes are tried and true and taste divine. These are ways to have your steak and enjoy it in different ways too!
How To Reheat Steak
Theres nothing worse than taking a leftover steak, trying to reheat it, and totally over cooking it so that its barely edible. The best way to reheat a steak so that it is just as good as it was the first time is to use the oven.
Put your leftover steak on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Set your oven to 250 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees F.
Your steaks are ready for a makeover and this steak marinade is ready for the job! Youll never make a steak a different way again!
Read Also: Hank’s Fine Steaks & Martinis
Best Marinated Flank Steak Recipe
Flank steak is a flavorful and budget-friendly cut thats also lean and tough. It therefore benefits from marinating to tenderize the meat before grilling. Ive tested many marinades and this version produces incredibly tender steak while adding the most amazingly sweet, tangy and savory flavors. Marinated flank steak is ideal for making fajitas, tacos, sandwiches, and salads.
If the weathers not suitable for grilling, you can just as easily broil flank steak in the oven or pan-fry it in a cast-iron skillet or grill pan. This recipe works for both flank steak and skirt steak.
Easy Steak Marinade Recipe
If youre new to marinade for steak and want something easy to start with, heres a good Ginger-Soy marinade that we like: 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 Tablespoons honey, 1 Tablespoon minced garlic, 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel.
Want something even easier to try? Get a bottle of your favorite vinegar salad dressing, add ½ teaspoon salt, and dilute it with a little water. Marinate your meat and then put it on the grill. Youll be impressed!
You May Like: Jims Steak Out West Seneca
The Very Best Steak Marinade
These days, I simply wont make steak without The Very Best Steak Marinade. Theres just no point! Once youve tried steak marinated in this medley of bold, mouthwatering ingredients, Im sure youll be on the same page. After you try this marinade, steak prepared any other way just doesnt taste as flavorful.
Storing Your New York Steak
Steak is great for leftovers, its the warming up that can be tricky.
- Store: Keep the steak in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- Reheat: The best way to warm up your steak without drying it out is to heat it low and slow. Use the oven and warm it up at 200 to 250 degrees till heated through. Or use the microwave at half power, full power will be too hot.
How Do You Make A Steak Tender
There are two ways that I use to make a steak tender. Acidic tenderizers are a great way to get a tender steak. I include lemon juice in my marinade to help to soften the steak. it breaks down the tough fibers in the meat. If you are starting out with an already tough cut of meat, I will also break down the fibers by pounding the meat before I cook it.
What Ingredients Go Into Flank Steak Marinade
- Soy Sauce acts as a brine to tenderize the meat while adding savory flavor.
- Olive Oil also helps to make the meat tender. Note: AVOID extra virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke point. Regular refined olive oil works best!
- Lime Juice the acid in lime juice helps to break down proteins, tenderizing the meat. You can substitute red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
- Honey this key ingredient balances out the acidity of the lime juice while helping to create a caramelized crust on the grill. You can substitute sugar if you prefer.
- Worchestershire Sauce its umami taste makes it great for marinades.
- Garlic use freshly minced garlic for the best taste.
- Onions fresh is better than onion powder.
- Green Onions cut into small chunks.
- Italian Seasoning you can substitute fresh thyme or rosemary.
- Ground Black Pepper freshly grounded is the best.
- Salt helps to bring out the best flavor of the steak.
Also Check: Best Red Wine With Steak
What Do You Use To Marinate A Steak
This steak marinade is packed with dried herbs, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. These ingredients all come together to give you such amazing flavor and the perfectly cooked juicy steak!
- Soy sauce: Adds a bit of salty and tons of flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds acidity to tenderize and flavor.
- Olive oil: Help seal in juiciness.
- Worcestershire sauce: One of the best umami flavors for beef.
- Minced garlic: Use fresh for the best tasting.
- Italian seasoning: A go-to combination of outstanding herbs.
- Pepper and Salt: To taste, but do not leave it out.
- Red pepper: Adds a bit of spice.
- Steaks: I used rib eye, New York is also great
- Butter: Butter is truly the best thing to cook steak in! Hands down!
- Chopped Parsley: Adds a pop of color.
What Goes In Beef Steak Marinade
Heres what you need for the Steak Marinade. Use this marinade for any economical steak do not use for expensive steaks, that would be a waste!!
Heres why this combination of ingredients makes your steak plump, juicy and adds flavour:
Balsamic vinegar the tenderising ingredient, because its acidic
Soy sauce the salty liquid to act as the brine so the steak retains moisture. It does not make this steak taste Asiany, we only use a bit!
Dijon Mustard a touch of flavour and to thicken the marinade slightly so it coats the steak better
Flavour all the other ingredients! Worcestershire is pretty intense in flavour so you only need a bit to add savoury flavour into things.
Don’t Miss: Nudges Wholesome Dog Treats Steak Grillers 48 Oz
How To Marinate A Steak
This article was co-authored by Ollie George Cigliano. Ollie George Cigliano is a Private Chef, Food Educator, and Owner of Ollie George Cooks, based in Long Beach, California. With over 20 years of experience, she specializes in utilizing fresh, fun ingredients and mixing traditional and innovative cooking techniques. Ollie George holds a BA in Comparative Literature from The University of California, Berkeley, and a Nutrition and Healthy Living Certificate from eCornell University.There are 10 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 100% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 1,612,177 times.
Components Of The Perfect Steak Marinade
I mentioned earlier the four components to the perfect marinade so let me go into a little more detail on for the purpose of each:
- Fat: Olive oil prevents sticking and adds flavor
- Acid: Balsamic vinegar and lemon juice tenderize, flavor, perfect grill marks
- Salt: flavor, moisture retention, tenderize
- Seasonings: mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic flavor, flavor flavor
You May Like: Where To Find Tomahawk Steaks
How Can I Tell When The Flank Steak Is Done
For a tough cut like flank steak, its best to cook it to rare or medium-rare for maximum tenderness. DO NOT cook it beyond medium.
The best way to measure the doneness is by inserting an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the steak. Remove the steak from the heat when its 5°F or 3°C below the target temperature, as the temperature will rise several degrees more while resting. For example, if you target medium-rare, remove the steak from the grill when the thermometer reads 130°F , as the final temperature will reach 135°F during resting.
Let it rest covered with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes, allowing the juices to flow back in.
What Ingredients Go Into Steak Marinade
- Balsamic vinegar I dont recommend substitutes here. Balsamic vinegar will add the best flavor. And use dark balsamic, white isnt as strong.
- Worcestershire sauce another key ingredient. This is one of the best ingredients for steak marinade.
- Soy sauce keep in mind the longer the steak marinades the more sodium it will absorb from the soy sauce, so if you only marinate 1 hour you may still need a little salt added to the steaks.
- Olive oil dont use extra virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke point, just regular refined olive oil.
- Dijon mustard this adds a little extra flavor. Dont use regular mustard.
- Honey just a light amount helps tone down acidity of the vinegar it also helps the exterior of steaks brown better.
- Garlic as always only use fresh. It makes a big difference.
- Freshly ground black pepper if you havent made the jump to fresh ground pepper now is the time! It really is a lot better.
- Dried rosemary of course fresh will work great too, use 1 Tbsp chopped if using fresh.
- Steak this makes enough marinade for about 2 pounds of steak.
You May Like: Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel From Mcdonald’s
How To Grill A Thick Steak
When grilling steak that is 1 ½ inches thick or more, the best way to get the perfect char on the outside and desired doneness in the center is to do the reverse sear. You will cool the steak until it is almost done over indirect heat, then move it to the hotter direct-heat section of the grill for the final sear.
You will want to make sure the indirect heat section of the grill is around 225 degrees F. Then add the steak to the cooler part and cover the grill.
How Do You Apply A Marinade For Steak
First, choose and make a marinade recipe . We recommend making ¼ to ½ cup of marinade for each one to two pounds of beef.
Then, place the marinade and meat in a sealed plastic bag or glass container so that the beef can sit in the liquid. We like to use 1 gallon Ziploc bags since it makes it easy to periodically flip the beef so that the marinade works in evenly. We dont recommend using a metal container since the acidic ingredients can react with metal.
Lastly, make sure to place the container in the refrigerator as the beef marinates. Never marinate beef at room temperature.
As a side note, contrary to popular believe, beef doesnt absorb the marinade flavor throughout the cut of beef. Rather, the flavor stays on the surface of the meat and thats the punch of flavor that you taste with your tongue.
Also Check: Buy Philly Cheese Steak Meat
What Steak Cut Is Best For Marinating
What cuts of beef to use a marinade on is a matter of personal preference and the recipe youre making.
Generally, marinades should be used on tougher cuts of beef from hard-working muscle groups, like flank, hanger and skirt steak.
If youre cooking a high-quality, flavorful cut of beef like a ribeye steak, we recommend not marinating it so that the beefs natural flavor can shine. However, if you want to use a marinade on a ribeye or filet, you can. Its entirely up to you.
The Ultimate Skirt Steak Marinade Recipe
Cooking steak can be intimidating, I know it used to intimidate me. I think it was because steak is usually a more expensive cut of meat and I did not want to mess it up. Steak on its own has incredible flavor and texture. This skirt steak marinade enhances the natural flavors of the steak without overpowering it. Using the right marinade for your cut of steak can elevate it from great, to absolutely amazing. And this marinade does just that for skirt steak.
Adding marinades to meat does a few things that make it a must when cooking steak. First of all marinades tenderize the meat, helping to break down the fibers that make meat tough. Marinades add flavor. Allowing the meat to sit in the marinade for even as little as 30 minutes will infuse it with intense flavor, guaranteeing a scrumptious meal. And then it adds moisture, helping to ensure your meat is moist and tender.
Also Check: Church’s Chicken Chicken Fried Steak
Easy Substitutions For Steak Marinade
All of the ingredients in this marinade are important for different reasons. Try not to skip any if possible. Dont forget increments and specific directions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Ive listed some substitutions if youre in a pinch.
Other Beef Cuts Other cuts of beef are totally acceptable with this marinade. Other good choices would be tri-tip, flank, skirt or sirloin. Honestly, any cut of beef that youd grill would be a great candidate for this steak marinade.
Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or Sprite- You use soda pop in a meat marinade simply for its delicious flavor and all that liquid sugar. It is able to penetrate the meat so deliciously! If you find yourself in a pinch, you can use Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or even Sprite in place of Coca Cola. Steer clear of diet sodas- they dont taste the same after being grilled. Im talking about you, weird after taste.
Lime Juice or White Distilled Vinegar You can substitute lime juice if you dont have lemon juice on hand. You can use it as a one-to-one replacement.
Vegetable Oil- If you dont have canola oil, vegetable oil or any light colored oil with a higher smoke point will work just as well.