Sirloin Steak With Garlic Butter
This sirloin steak is seared to golden brown perfection, then topped with garlic and herb butter. A simple, yet totally satisfying way to enjoy steak thats easy enough for an everyday meal, yet elegant enough for company.
Sirloin steak is one of my favorite cuts of meat. Its relatively inexpensive, flavorful, tender and readily available at most grocery stores. My favorite way to enjoy this cut of meat is with a simple pan sear, and a dollop of garlic butter on top.
Everything You Need To Know About Cooking Sirloin Steak
Ready to cook sirloin steak at home? This cut is relatively simple to perfect on the grill, in a pan, reverse-seared, or even sous-vide style.
For top-notch hand-cut and hand-selected sirloin steak that you can order online to ship to your house, browse Chicago Steak Companys sirloin steak selection. Our top sirloin is available in Premium Angus and USDA Prime Wet Aged.
Tips For Cooking Sirloin Steak
- One of the biggest myths in cooking steak is that you should never start out with cold meat. We have been told for years to set steaks out for a least an hour before cooking. That is simply not true. If youre wanting a steak that is nice and seared on the outside, but pink and juicy on the inside, you should cook your steak straight out of the fridge.
- Allow for residual cooking. When cooking steak, whether it is one the grill, in the oven or stove top, you want to remove it from the heat when it is about 5 degrees less than the desired temp on an instant-read thermometer. The temperature will continue to rise while the meat rests.
- Always allow steaks to rest: Steaks, just like most any meat needs to rest for about 10 minutes after it has finished cooking. This allows all those yummy juices to redistribute through the steak.
- For really juicy steaks, you want to look for ones that have a good bit of marbling that is well distributed through the steak.
You May Like: How Do You Cook A Steak On A Pellet Grill
How Do You Cook Sirloin Steak
Start by patting your steaks dry with a paper towel. Removing the moisture from the exterior of the meat will allow for a nice brown crust to develop. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper, then cook it over medium high heat in a heavy skillet. Cook the meat to the desired level of doneness, then let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes. Place a scoop of garlic and herb butter over the steak, then slice it and serve.
Beef Sirloin Top Vs Tip
There is a certain level of confusion regarding the use of the term sirloin when it comes to beef steak.
Despite the fact that they share a name, top sirloin steak and sirloin tip steak are two very different cuts. The reason is that they come from two anatomically different parts of the animal one that does less work and one that is heavily used for support and movement.
- Top Sirloin Steak cut from the sirloin primal cut tender and lean relatively expensive also known as cap off or simply sirloin steak
- Sirloin Tip Steak from the round primal cut, tough and lean very inexpensive also known as round tip steak, tip steak or knuckle steak
Beef primal cuts.
Recommended Reading: Owning A Steak N Shake
How To Cook The Steaks In A Skillet
If you dont have a grill handy, you can also cook these steaks in a hot skillet on the stove. I recommend a cast iron skillet, if you have one, but if not, any heavy-bottomed skillet will work.
Grilling Top Sirloin Steak
Recommended Reading: Best Steak Knives To Buy
Improve Your Meal’s Nutritional Value
Steak is an excellent source of protein, but it can also be high in fat. However, trimming excess fat prior to cooking your sirloin can improve its nutritional value.
According to the USDA, a 3-ounce serving of beef sirloin trimmed to zero inches of fat provides:
- 186 calories
- 9 grams of fat
- 0 grams of carbohydrates
Pair your steak with steamed vegetables, such as broccoli and add a serving of brown rice for a whole grain.
Things You’ll Need
How To Pan Sear Steaks:
Pro Tip: We prefer using a large cast-iron pan for best heat conduction, but a large heavy stainless steel pan will also work.
Read Also: How Do You Make Steak Tender
How To Cook A Top Sirloin Steak
What are some recipes for roasting beef?
- Heat the outdoor grill over high heat. In a small skillet, melt the butter with the garlic powder and chopped garlic over medium heat. Sprinkle on both sides of each fillet salt and pepper. Grilled steaks 4 to 5 minutes per page, or to the desired degree of readiness.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Flavor: Searing them first, slightly caramelizes the mustard herbed rub on the steaks, giving them incredible flavor.
- Ease: Cooking steaks in the oven means you can have the best steaks anytime you want them without having to break out the grill.
- Great for meal prep: Because these steaks take less than 30 minutes to prepare to medium doneness, they are an easy way to meal prep for the week. You can have leftovers in a salad one night, in a wrap for lunch or even reheat the steak and serve with eggs for breakfast.
- Low carb source of protein: Steak is basically a carb free food. If you are watching what you eat and want to keep the carbs under control, you cant get much better than steak!
Also Check: Is Omaha Steaks Grass Fed
How Do You Cook These Steaks In The Oven
If youd prefer to cook these steaks in the oven, I recommend patting dry and seasoning as instructed. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Then, add the steaks to a cast-iron pan over high heat for 1-2 minutes, flip then put the skillet into the oven for 10 minutes or less depending on how thick the sirloin is. Again, let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before slicing into.
How To Cook Sirloin Tip Steak On The Stove Or Grill
Prep & marinate.Be sure to use a meat tenderizer mallet if the steak was not already blade tenderized. Mix a marinade and coat the sirloin tip well. Marinate covered and refrigerated for at least 6 hours and up to 24. This cut of beef really benefits from a prolonged marination.
Quick sear. Bring the steak to room temperature before you cook it. Discard the marinade and lightly season with salt and pepper. Heat a grilling pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high for 2-3 minutes and once hot sear the sirloin tip for about 1 to 2 mins per side. Alternatively, heat your outdoor grill to medium-hot and cook for 1 to 2 mins per side.
Rest & slice. A couple of minutes of rest will suffice because this is a thin cut. Slice against the grain as a final way to create a more tender and easier to chew bite of steak.
Don’t Miss: Pizza Hut Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Easy Grilled Sirloin Steak With Garlic
- 2 8 ounce top sirloin steaks
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp course sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat your George Foreman grill for 5 minutes with the top closed.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the EVOO, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place the steaks on a large plate and coat them on both sides with this seasoned mixture, pressing it into the meat with your hands.
3. Place the steaks on the grill and close the top. Cook for 4 minutes and check the internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer. You are looking for 125°F for medium rare and up to 155°F for medium well. Continue grilling until you achieve the desired doneness. Keep in mind that the steaks will continue to cook while resting, so take them off just shy of the desired temperature.
4. Remove the steaks to a clean cutting board and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving or slicing. Dont skip this step as it will help to keep the steaks moist.
5. Serve with your favorite side dishes. Recipe ideas follow.
Can You Make These Steaks Into Shish Kabobs
Yes! Sirloin is one of the best cuts of steak for making shish kabobs. When using this marinade to make kabobs, I recommend cubing the steak, then adding it to the marinade. This means, more of the steak surface area gets to soak up the delicious marinade.
After marinating the cubes of steak for at least 20 minutes, skewer the steak by itself or with veggies like bell peppers and onions. Grill the steak shish kabobs over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, flip and continue grilling for an additional 4-5 minutes.
Read Also: Does Whole Foods Sell Steak
Top Sirloin Steak Recipes
Thats right you can cook top sirloin steak straight from the freezer, and it will still taste amazing. Theres no excuse for ordering in now.
To cook your top sirloin steaks from frozen, youll sear and quickly bake them. To start, youll preheat the oven, then sear your steaks for about 2 ½ minutes on one side, then 1 minute on the other. Quickly baste the steak with some butter, then bake them with some broccoli and serve with eggs for a complete dinner in one.
Ready for a seriously flavor-packed cut of top sirloin steak? This jerk rub really spices things up, and the accompanying mashed plantains are the perfect complement.
For these steaks, we use the pan-searing method, freeing you up to focus on the frying and smashing the delicious Puerto-Rican inspired dish of smashed plantains. Its 1000% worth it, though.
Theres a reason top sirloin has its reputation as a weeknight steak. Its because its super easy to make meals around it, like this all-in-one top sirloin with bacon and Brussels sprouts hash.
Once again, we pan-sear the steaks until golden on the outside and pink on the inside. From there, you can just add your hash ingredients to the pan to cook while the steak rests. And its a delicious hash, combining bacon, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, onion, and mushrooms.
Perfectly Grilled Sirloin Steak
Only three ingredients are used to create this flavorful steak. Follow our instructions to make sure it is grilled to mouth-watering perfection.
|Add boneless sirloin steak||1 boneless sirloin steak|
|Add sodium-free meat tenderizer||½ tsp. sodium-free meat tenderizer|
|Add Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning||2 tsp. Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning|
- Cutting board or serving platter
- Aluminum foil
Read Also: How To Make Steak Shish Kabobs
Does The Next Step Include Adding The Rest Of The Ingredients
Not really, but yes to some extent. Turn the steak over and add butter, thyme, and garlic cloves. Tack the steak with the butter and leave to cook for a minute or two. When it becomes golden, bring it out of the skillet and pat dry. Strain the oil well. Let it cool for 2 minutes at room temperature before doing anything to it.
Easy & Tasty Sirloin Steak Recipe
Sirloin steak is a flavorful cut of beef that is great for grilling on a George Foreman contact grill. The indoor grill seals in the juices, whereas a charcoal grill can often dry out the meat. With sirloin less is more in terms of prepping and cooking, as described in the easy recipes here.
The sirloin portion of the animal actually refers to several cuts that are located at the hind quarters. Some of the cuts are labeled the sirloin, the tenderloin, the top sirloin, and the bottom sirloin. The sirloin is at the top near the back bone. The tenderloin is just below the sirloin. This is a lean and softer cut of meat. The top sirloin is in the center of the muscle. And, the bottom sirloin is located toward the underside of the cow or bull.
For the purposes of these recipes we are using the top sirloin. While it is not as tender as the filet mignon, also aptly referred to as the tenderloin, it is a very flavorful cut of beef. The tenderloin is extremely lean, whereas the top sirloin often has a bit of fat running through it. The fat helps to tenderize the meat while it is cooking and adds additional flavor. The top sirloin is less expensive than the tenderloin. This makes it a good option for anyone looking to save a few dollars and still enjoy a delicious grilled steak. Cooked to medium rare is best for this particular protein. It can become chewier and less juicy the more well done it is.
Also Check: What Oil Does Gordon Ramsay Use For Steak
How To Cook Baked Sirloin Steak
Tender and juicy Mustard Herb Baked Sirloin Steak recipe starts with a quick sear in a cast-iron pan and finishes off in the oven. This recipe is so quick and easy, you can have steak dinner night of the week.
I have always been a fan of searing steaks on the stove in a cast-iron skillet and then finishing them in the oven. They turn out perfectly cooked every time and you can season them so many different ways. For this sirloin steak recipe, Italian herbs and mustard coat the steaks. As the steak hits the hot skillet, the mustard begins to brown and caramelize, creating a beautiful crust.
Its truly the perfect meal because who doesnt love steak?! Its one of those meals the entire family can agree on. This baked sirloin is tender and juicy and is the best way to get a hearty dinner on the table in a hurry. We also love Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas and this Pan Seared Steak Chimichurri. Both are super easy and loaded with incredible flavor.
This perfectly oven cooked sirloin steak recipe is fool-proof way to cook a reasonably priced steak without sacrificing taste and tenderness. Baked sirloin steak is a great way to serve steak when its too cold or rainy to grill outdoors.
How To Cook Steak
You May Like: What Is The Best Steak To Buy