How To Grill A Porterhouse Steak
The porterhouse is two steaks in one: The large side is the New York strip while the smaller mild-tasting tenderloin. It’s a good option for a family, as 2 1/2 pounds will serve four. Cut slices off the bone so everyone can have a little of both. To cook a 1 1/2-inch-thick porterhouse, grill for seven to nine minutes per side.
How To Cook And Use Flank Steak
- How do you tenderize flank steak? Flank steak is extremely lean with hardly any fat or connective tissue so it does not need to be trimmed but it should be pounded with a meat mallet in order to tenderize the steak.
- Do you have to marinate flank steak? Flank steak needs to be marinated or braised to increase tenderness. Marinating flank steak with an acid such as citrus or vinegar chemically breaks down the tough muscle fibers to produce tender steak. Marinating also imparts tons of flavor.
- How should you cook flank steak? After marinating, flank steak should be cooked hot and fast either grilled, broiled or pan seared. It can become tough when cooked too long at low temperatures unless it is braised low and slow until tender like in ropa vieja there is no middle ground when it comes to cooking flank steak.
- What is flank steak good for? Flank steak is famous for London broil, which is essentially marinated, broiled flank steak. It is also popular for grilled fajitas, steak tacos, carne asada as well as Asian stir fries such as beef and broccoli, pepper steak, Szechuan beef and Mongolian beef. It is equally delicious simply marinated and grilled like in this recipealongside your favorite backyard barbecue favorites. Flank steak is also popular to roll, stuff and tie in pinwheel or braciola due to its even, flat, long shape.
Marinade In Acidic Flavors
Acidic flavors like citrus juice and fruits, vinegar, wine, dark soda, or dairy help loosen the muscle fibers and tenderize the meat. Some good options for dairy ingredients include yogurt and buttermilk that fully coat the meat. Citrus fruits like papaya, pineapple and kiwi are good options for citrus fruit. Kiwi is a particularly good choice because it lacks a strong a flavor, and when combined with the meat, the flavor is neutralized so that it achieves the goal of tenderizing the meat while not adding too much fruit flavor. When the cut of meat is thin, it should marinade in acidic flavors for only two hours to avoid the muscle fibers and collagen from breaking down too much and becoming mushy.
Recommended Reading: Mcdonalds Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Recipe
Is Flank Steak London Broil
- Is there another word for flank steak? One of the most common names for flank steak is London Broil. Flank steak can also be called flank steak fillet and jiffy steak.
- Are London broil and flank steak the same?London broil originally referred to broiled flank steak, thus the name. In other words, it refers to a method of preparation rather than a specific cut of meat like in this London Broil recipe. Today, however, grocery stores sometimes label flank steak London Broil. This can be confusing because butchers often label top round as London broil as well so youll need to know what it looks like to make sure youre purchasing the correct cut of beef.
Do You Have To Marinate Flank Steak
My preference is to marinate before grilling, but if you dont have time, you can sprinkle liberally with coarse salt and a dash of pepper on both sides several minutes before grilling.
If you have a dressing or marinade on hand, baste the steak while on the grill to impart extra flavor.
Make sure to baste the steak on the grill with reserved marinade.
You May Like: How Long Can Omaha Steaks Stay In Shipping Cooler
How Long Should I Marinate Flank Steak
I came across some research that said you shouldnt marinate flank steak longer than two hours because it could scorch or toughen the meat. The reason youll see this is because acid breaks down proteins, and when those proteins break down too much water is released and the muscle becomes tough.
I tested this marinade after two hours, and again after eight hours. Both times the meat was tender and flavorful. I also tried it after 24 hours and found the meat a little tough compared to the others. Just to be on the safe side, I wouldnt marinate this overnight.
What Is The Internal Temperature Of Flank Steak When Done
When you ask a number of chefs and weekend grillers how they like their flank steak cooked you will get a myriad of different answers.
Some prefer their flank steak rare, usually between 120 to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Although I prefer my new york strip steaks in this temperature range, I think it is a little low for flank steak. More on this in a minute.
Other people prefer their flank steak in the 130 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit/ 54 to 60 degrees Celsius range or medium-rare to medium.
Flank steak on the grill registering 116 degrees Fahrenheit, almost there!
Read Also: Pee Dee Steak House On 125 Menu
Cooking Your Beef Flank Steak Recipe
Once your grill is hot enough, brush the metal bars of your grill with vegetable or olive oil using a grill brush. You are now ready to place your flank steaks on your grill. As soon as your steaks come in contact with the surface of your grill, they should start to sizzle. Pro Tip: If you do not have a grill brush available, you can use bunched up paper towels dipped in oil. Make certain your hand does not come into contact with the surface of your grill.
During the first few minutes, you will be searing your flank steaks. This will require between three and four minutes. Use a pair of tongs to turn over your steaks. Provided your grill was nice and hot, you should see blackened or dark brown areas of your steak with a crispy appearance. If your meat is not well seared, turn it back over immediately and let your meat continue to cook.
Once your flank steaks are well seared, cook them on the other side over high heat for another three to four minutes. This will ensure you have a crispy layer on both sides for a great taste and the ideal texture. You will enjoy the caramelized exterior of your steaks. Once both sides of your flank steaks have been seared, you will need to move them to a cooler section of your grill. You can do this using your tongs.
- Rare: 120 degrees Fahrenheit
- Medium-Well: 150 degrees Fahrenheit
- Well done: 160 degrees Fahrenheit
How To Make Grilled Flank Steak
The key to grilling a tender, juicy flank steak is to get the job done hot and fast! Heres an overview instructions are also in the recipe below.
You May Like: Omaha Steaks Chicken Cordon Bleu Cooking Instructions
How Long To Grill Flank Steak
Lean cuts of meat like flank steak are really best when served medium rare. If you cook it to the medium stage or beyond, the meat is tough and chewy rather than juicy and succulent, so shoot for medium rare even if its not your normal range.
Remember, too, that time is variable. To get a perfectly cooked steak every time, insert a meat thermometer through the side of the thickest part of the steak.
- Medium: 8 minutes per side
- Medium Rare: 6 to 7 minutes per side
- Rare: 5 to 6 minutes per side
These times are based on cooking the steak with the two-zone method, not the method of pounding the meat thinner. The cooking times may be faster if you used the pounding method.
Tips For The Perfect Steak
- This marinade can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, so its great to make in advance. The olive oil may solidify when chilled, so leave the marinade at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you add the steak. You can even freeze your marinade for up to 2 months if need be!
- Feel free to use a low sodium soy sauce if youre watching your salt intake.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of dried herbs that can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is typically a blend of dried basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. If you cant find Italian seasoning, you can blend together your own dried herbs in equal amounts.
- This marinade also works on other types of steak such as sirloin, New York strip or rib eye.
- Be sure to slice your meat against the grain for the most tender bites of steak.
- No outdoor grill? You can make this recipe indoors on a grill pan, or broil the steak in the oven.
Don’t Miss: Seasoning For Ribeye
How Do You Cook Flank Steak So Its Not Tough
Why Is My Steak Tough And Chewy
Undercooked steaks fail to melt the fat in the beef and are quite chewy. Additionally, undercooked beef might cause an upset stomach or even food poisoning. Overcooked steaks burn through all the fat and end up being hard, dry, and chewy.
Don’t Miss: Mcdonalds Steak Bagel Sauce Recipe
What Is Flank Steak Good For
What Is Flank Steak? Flank steak is delicious for fajitas, stir fry, homemade cheesesteak, or just sliced on its own with some fresh vegetables. Flank steak is meaty, rich, juicy and delicious and is a leaner cut of steak with less marbling.
How Long Should You Marinate Flank Steak
Flank steak should be marinated for at least two hours in order to reap the benefits of the tenderizing properties. For the maximum benefit, however, marinate for 12 hours. If your marinade contains citrus or a lot of vinegar like this flank steak marinade or marinades common for steak fajitas, dont marinate longer than 12 hours or the steak can become mushy otherwise, you can marinate the steak for up to 24 hours.
Recommended Reading: Seasonings For Ribeye Steak
The Best Way To Cook Flank Steak
Flank steak is like the Rodney Dangerfield of beef cuts it gets no respect. And yet its reputation is truly unfounded. It isnt quite as simple to throw on a grill as some more expensive cuts, but when handled properly, it can be one of the most flavorful, cost-effective steaks around. And luckily, that proper handling is not as complicated as some people might think.
Flank steak is a long, lean slab from the belly of the cow. Because of its location, the muscles that make up the flank are well-worked it makes the meat chewier and tougher, but because of that action and blood flow, it also makes the meat more flavorful. It is easy to counteract a flanks tough nature if you know what you are doing. With a bit of salting, quick cooking and the proper cutting, you can have a tender, delectable steak at a much better price point.
How Long To Marinate Steak
4-12 hour is the optimal time to marinate this flank steak recipe. After 4 hours, the flank steak has absorbed a lot of the flavor but by 12 hours it will have become even more tender. I recommend marinating the steak for the maximum 12 hours. This will infuse the steak with TONS of flavor and optimal juiciness.
Dont over-marinate. This flank steak marinade is highly acidic which means you dont want to marinate the steak much longer than 12 hours because the acid in the marinade will begin to change the structure of the meat and the muscle fibers can break down and become mushy.
Also Check: Omaha Steaks Dry Ice Disposal
What Marinade Do You Use
The marinade is made up of a few ingredients that pack a ton of flavor:
- Soy sauce
- Cooking sherry
I try and let those marinade for at least 6 hours, but you can even do it overnight. You can use a gallon plastic bag to let them all sit together.I personally use a Tupperware Season Serve so its something that is reusable! You can find the link to this in the recipe card below.
At What Temperature Is Flank Steak Done
The temperature of done steak varies depending on how you like your meat cooked. For medium, aim for an internal temperature of about 145 degrees F. Well done steak has an internal temperature of about 165 degrees, so I dont recommend letting the meat go past that mark. Using a meat thermometer is extremely helpful with this recipe.
You May Like: Frozen Steaks Delivered
Make Sure The Grill Is Hot
Preheat the grill so that it is nice and hot. Keep the lid closed and the temperature of the grill should be around 500F.
Place the flank steaks on the grill and you will hear a nice sizzle. Let them cook on the grill for about 3 minutes and then turn them 45 degrees. This will provide the cross sear marks on the steaks. Once they have cooked another 3 minutes, flip the flank steaks over to cook on the other side.
I do not close the lid when I am grilling flank steaks. Since the grill is set to high heat and the meat is not very thick, closing the lid is not necessary.
Repeat the grilling on this side of the steak as well cook for 3 minutes and then turn 45 degrees. Cook for about 3 more minutes, or until it reaches the desired level of doneness. I aim for the flank steak to be somewhere between rare and medium rare. The pictures below of the sliced steak are closer to a medium rare.
- Rare 125F
- Medium rare 130F
- Medium 135F
Flank steaks that you buy will have different thicknesses. Some may seem bulky and thick, while others seem more flat and thin. The difference in thickness can definitely affect how long they take to grill. A digital thermometer is a great way to ensure that the steak is grilled perfectly every time.
Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut the flank steak, with a sharp knife, across the grain into thin slices.
Sliced flank steak is amazing served with a wedge of lime. The combination of steak and fresh lime is so incredible.
Is Flank Steak The Same As Skirt Steak
No, but Flank steak and INSIDE skirt steak are situated next to each other on the cow. They are both long and thin cuts of meat, so they are sometimes confused with each other.
Both the flank steak and the inside skirt steak come from the abdominal area which mean both have tough muscular fibers from a lot of use during the cows life. No stressthis recipe has all you need to tenderize this leaner cut of beef. Youre gonna love it!
The Best Flank Steak Marinade For Juicy Flavorful Buttery Tender Flank Steak Every Time
This flank steak recipe will have everyone singing your praises, begging for the recipe and coming back for seconds and thirds. The flank steak marinade creates melt-in-your-mouth tender, juicy steak with complex savory, tangy, sweet and spicy notes. The marinade is made with soy sauce, balsamic, lemon juice, brown sugar and seasonings that infuse the steak with tons of flavor. And the best part of grilled flank steak? Its SO easy with zero clean up! Marinate then grill thats it! Flank steak is also extremely versatile and can be served up with your favorite sides like mashed potatoes and fruit salad or in salads,wraps,pasta, sandwiches and more.