Our Chicago Steak Company Review
USDA Choice Angus Ribeye 16 oz. $45 ea. On Sale. Normally $60 ea.Our Visual InspectionHow Did It Taste?USDA Choice Top Sirloin Steak 8 oz. $12 ea.Wagyu NY StripUSDA Choice Porterhouse 20 oz $55 ea.Our Conclusion
Submitted Customer Experiences
I purchased ten filets. So far I’ve had six and I’m very disappointed. Steaks are tough and do not have a filet texture.Hello Sir, here is my humble picture of a Chicago Steaks Filet Mignon. They don’t look as good as yours and I agree with your review 100%. They were good but not at that price. One filet mignon is too small for me so two pushes the cost way over the top.I love your idea about buying whole tenderloins on sale and making your own Mignons. I am going to have to try that. Thank you for your reviews, it is a refreshing pleasure to see someone write these honestly.
Please Share Your Chicago Steak Company Review!
Final Thoughts: Is Kansas City Steaks Worth It
For the amount we paid, I really was hoping Kansas City Steaks would be a better experience. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed.
If youre looking for the best value, I dont believe its Kansas City Steak Company. From my personal experience, Ive found that there are other high quality meat delivery companies out there that offer better options at lower prices. Porter Road, Rastellis, and Crowd Cow are three great alternatives to consider.
That being said, Kansas City Steak Company does have a lot of variety and they offer many different bundles, which are good options for those who want to cater events, holidays, etc.
If we were ever to order from them again, I would probably skip their website and just order directly off of .
Have a question about Kansas City Steak Company we didnt answer in this review? Have you tried Kansas City Steak Company? Let us know in the comments below!
Shipping & Delivery Times
Allen Brothers offers their Prime Delivery Service through UPS throughout the country. This means that your order will arrive in about 2 days from Wednesday to Friday.
They also offer an overnight delivery option that costs an extra $25, and your package will be delivered in 1 business day. When you checkout, you will be asked to choose a delivery date.
Once your order has been shipped, Allen Brothers will send you a tracking number which you can follow on the UPS website.
As for their payment option, Allen Brothers accepts all major credit cards on their website. You can also pay with an Allen Brothers gift card.
Recommended Article: Omaha Steaks vs Allen Brothers
Read Also: Tyson Steak Fingers Air Fryer
What Is A Chicago
The Chicago-style steak goes by a number of different names, so depending on what region you are from, you may know it as Pittsburgh Rare or Black and Blue. But what they all have in common is a charred outer crust and an extremely rare inside.
Unlike other steak recipes, which call for a specific cut, any steak can be cooked in the Chicago style. But most chefs agree that lean steaks like strip or T-bone are best, which is why grass fed steaks like this 14oz grass fed strip steak are ideal for cooking using this method.
Back in the mid-19th century, when the Union Stockyards first opened, almost all of the beef being processed would have come from cows raised on ranges and pastureland and would have eaten an all-grass diet. But if you want grass fed beef in Chicago these days, ordering through truLOCALs online meat delivery service is the best way to stock up on grass fed steaks.
Comparing Their Menu Options
Both Omaha Steaks and Kansas City Steak Company have similar nice classic beef and quality meats, such as New York strip steaks, filet mignon, ribeyes, top sirloin, prime rib, and a T-bone with really tasty flavor.
They both also offer high-grade seafood, free-range chicken, turkey, and Berkshire pork for meat delivery.
We love how they both offer exclusive Black Angus all year long, as well. We say that’s one good meal you would want to try and share with your family or give as a gift to close friends. For your party, you can add wine, a variety of country dish sides, and everything’s perfect.
- Omaha Steaks, we found out that the business may have a more extensive menu that you can place an order on. The company offers offer bison, veal, wet-aged beef, and gourmet burgers for you to cook.
- Kansas City Steak Company had a less extensive offering when we ordered, but they never ran out of private stock USDA prime beef, prime rib roast, filet mignons, and steak burgers.
- Smaller steaks
Recommended Reading: How To Grill The Perfect Steak
Kansas City Steak Company Pricing & Price Comparison
In my opinion, Kansas City Steak Company is very expensive. When I saw that 4 Kansas City boneless strip steaks were close to $90, I was shocked. Thats over $22 per steak and they were only 8 oz each . To put that in perspective, at $89.95 for 4 8 oz strips, that comes out to $2.81 per oz.
To give you an idea of how Kansas City Steak Company compares to the other meat delivery services listed above, heres a look at all of their boneless strip steak pricing:
- Omaha Steaks: At $79.99 for 4 8 oz strips, that comes out to $2.50 per oz.
- Snake River Farms: At $30 for 1 12 oz strip, that comes out to $2.50 per oz.
- Crowd Cow: At $20 for 1 12 oz strip, that comes out to $1.67 per oz.
- Porter Road: At $21 for 1 0.75 lb strip, that comes out to $1.75 per oz.
- Rastellis: At $89 for 4 10 oz strips, that comes out to $2.23 per oz.
You can see that Kansas City Steak Company is most comparable to Omaha Steaks and Snake River Farms in terms of pricing.
Food Box HQ Note: These companies often change the pricing of their products. These were the correct prices at the time of publishing this review. If they are incorrect as you are reading this, please let us know in the comments and we will update accordingly. Thank you!
About Kansas City Steak Company
They first started out in 1932 as a family-owned butcher shop called S& S Meat Company.
They ended up growing in popularity and becoming a meat supplier for big retail businesses such as Outback Steaks and Carrabbas.
In 1984 they shifted focus and decided to venture into the mail order steak business, something that Omaha Steaks pioneered years prior. What eventually launched their mail order business was a deal with QVC to promote their products.
Since then, they have partnered with National Beef, who is the meat supplier for their Kansas City Steak Company online business. This means if you purchase from their online store, while the brand name is Kansas City Steak Company, the meat youre getting is actually from National Beef.
Don’t Miss: Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives Review
Does One Have Better Customer Support
From our research, the customer service support for both of these mail order steak product companies may be way above average. They both have received an A+ rating from the BBB.
They both offer a satisfaction guarantee more than anything else, so if anything is not to your liking, you can call them for a refund or exchange. We found it slightly more difficult to get a hold of a customer rep at Omaha Steaks when we sent a message.
How Do You Cook Allen Brothers Steaks
The company suggests cooking all of their gourmet steaks on a grill versus a pan.
- The meat needs to be thawed completely before grilling.
- Sear over high heat on each side of the steaks.
- Close the lid of the grill and let it sear until it reaches the desired doneness.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Read Also: Steak Restaurants Las Vegas Strip
Kansas City Steak Company Vs The Competition
Its likely you probably already know that Omaha Steaks is the biggest competitor to Kansas City Steak Company. Both are very similar in terms of what they offerbetween steaks, different cuts of meats, gift bundles, and even their websites.
However, there are a ton of lesser-known meat delivery services out there these days that also provide a similar service. Heres a look at some of them and how they differ from Kansas City Steaks:
- Snake River Farms: Known for their American wagyu beef, Snake River Farms offers a similar service to Kansas City Steak Company but focus more on the higher end meats. What I like about Snake River Farms is that they control their entire supply chain, which means more control over the quality of the meat.
- Crowd Cow: Like Kansas City Steak Company, Crowd Cow has a ton of variety in terms of meats, sides, and desserts. They sell all the same types of meat in addition to game meat such as boar, duck, and elk. Crowd Cow also sells plant-based meats.
- Porter Road: When it comes to high-quality meat, its hard to beat Porter Road. I love that they do not freeze their meats when they send them as to not compromise the quality and flavor of the meat.
- Rastellis: Rastellis is one of my personal favorite meat delivery companies. They offer all the same meats and cuts as Kansas City Steak Company as well as many precooked meat options . What I like most is that theyre very open and transparent about their sourcing practices.
Kansas City Steak Company Meat Grading
Thankfully, Kansas City Steak Company shares their USDA grading more than Omaha Steaks does.
The beef they sell is primarily USDA choice and USDA prime.
If youre unfamiliar, heres a brief look at the main USDA grades of beef:
- Prime beef is from young, well-fed cattle. It generally has a lot of fat or marbling.
- Choice beef is high quality but has less fat than prime beef.
- Select beef is the leanest beef.
- Standard and Commercial grades of beef are usually sold as ungraded or as store brand meat.
These grades are important to see since they allow you to know the type and quality of the meat. In my experience, they allow you to cut through all the marketing lingo that a lot of meat delivery companies use.
Recommended Reading: Steak And Hoagie Factory Menu
Differences In Shipping & Delivery
Omaha Steaks offers a larger delivery area since they ship to all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico. For the other service provider, the delivery place only includes the US.
When we got our gift card order from the website for delivery, both product providers use a styrofoam cooler packaging and frozen dry ice. The dry ice wasnt melted upon delivery, just like how we wanted the dry ice to be while on travel.
We thought they both had fairly similar shipping costs, but Kansas City Steak Company offers a few dollars less.
You can get more information about your steak when you buy it online than you may have gotten if you bought it in person,
– Marc Forgione, Iron Chef
What To Know About Cooking
One of the big issues Emily and I ran into with Kansas City Steak Company was the cooking process. They give you a booklet that has all of the information needed to make everything from cooking your steaks to heating up the premade dishes.
When we went to cook the steak, we followed the directions outlined in the booklet since we wanted to make sure we were doing everything correctly so they would come out as delicious as possible.
Unfortunately, the was that the booklet lays out the steps, you have to jump between different pages for different steps. For example, on page 10 it tells us the partial instructions for cooking the steak on a skillet. Then you have to jump to page 12 to see how long you need to cook the steak. But on page 12, they have different cooking instructions at the top of the page.
But the most irritating part was that some of the steps dont have spacing between the words. I found it to be pretty tough to actually follow the directions properly because of this.
Don’t Miss: 711 Steak And Cheese Taquito
Kansas City Steak Company Pros
- They offer a ton of variety. Between the different cuts of meat, different types of meat, sides, appetizers, desserts, and gift bundles, they are up there with Omaha Steaks in terms of the amount of food they have available to purchase.
- Some foods were very delicious. The steak fries and brookies desserts were absolutely delicious.
- They have a great money back guarantee. If youre unhappy, you can contact them and they will refund your money or replace the items youre unhappy with.
Steak At Home Has Never Tasted So Good
Ordering in from that local spot again? We get it- your favorite place for a nice steak is not fully open yet and you are looking for a legit steak to have at home. We found a company that ships steaks right to your door- Chicago Steak Company and when it comes to quality, they are raising the stakes
Chicago Steak Company delivers high quality steaks direct to your door. All their steaks are aged for four to six weeks to develop the complexity of flavor demanded by 5-star restaurants, steakhouses, and discerning steak lovers- like you. Each steak is trimmed by butchers the old-fashioned way, hand-carved with expert precision to remove extra tissue and fat. The result is an exceptionally tender and flavorful steak, bite after beefy bite.
Our crew had a hankering from some good ole quality steaks and so we had a few steaks shipped out for the ultimate grub-off review. Roll your sleeves up and get out your steak knives gents.
Recommended Reading: Coupons For Charleys Philly Steaks
The Ultimate Grilling Kit Offer’s A Taste Of Everything With Enough For Everyone
16 —- 4oz Angus Steak Burgers
Are you looking for the most delicious, thick, and juicy burgers for your next get together? These Premium Angus Beef burgers are a perfect choice. Made from the top 1/3 of USDA Choice steak trimmings from Angus beef. these are a fan favorite.
4 —- 8-oz. Premium Angus Beef Ribeye Steak
Carved from the center of our premium Prime Rib Roast, these magnificent Black Angus Beef Ribeye Steaks will amaze you.
4 —- 6-oz. Premium Angus Beef Top Sirloin Steak
A Top SIrloin Steak is known for it’s lean beef makeup. That means there is not an abundance of fat on the steak and the resulting flavor will be bold and beefy one. The Top Sirloin grills quite quickly and makes for a grillers favorite.
4 —- 6-oz. Lemon Herb Chicken Breasts
Juicy and delicious if a great way to describe our chicken breasts. Looking for something other than steak? They’re sure to be a hit at your next cookout with plenty of flavor in every bite!
Best Luxury: Snake River Farms Gold Grade Steaks
Snake River Farms
Steaks that have a higher fat content and marbling throughout offer a rich and buttery melt-in-your-mouth dining experience. Snake River Farms has an entire line of gold-grade American wagyu beef steaks that have been rated on the Japanese Beef Marbling Scale for superior fat marbling. Gold-grade steaks are available in top sirloin, filet mignon, New York strip, ribeye, flat iron, and entire roasts.
Snake River Farms’ thick-cut gold-grade Manhattan NY filet combines a New York strip steak with the special flavor of American wagyu beef. Reviewers say its full of juicy flavor and some even claim its the best steak theyve ever eaten, easily beating out high-end steakhouse dinners. Its available 6 or 8 ounces and in bulk shipments of 12, so you can stock up for yourself or seriously wow some lucky dinner guests.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Baseball Steak
Customer Support & Service
- Free Trial Company gives promo codes for purchasing items and shipping!
- Customizable It is possible to customize your order and delivery!
- Switching Plans Change your delivery date or amount of meat by making changes on your account!
- Cancellation Cancellation should be made at least one day before the orders shipment date.
- Gifts Send to a friend Gift Basket with a unique message or a Gift Certificate .
- Refunds Satisfaction Guarantee allows customers to complain about specific delivered products by calling the Customer Service number!
Kansas City Steak Company
- Free Trial Company doesnt offer a free trial, only promotions!
- Customizable Customers can customize delivery details!
- Switching plans Not a problem! Make changes before the deadline and order extra steaks if you have friends over for dinner!
- Cancellation No subscription, so no problem with cancelation!
- Gifts Gift Cards & Baskets for different occasions can be purchased online!
- Refunds If you are not 100% thrilled about Omaha Steaks products, make a complaint and wait for a replacement or a refund!
What Is Allen Brothers
Allen Brothers is an online meat delivery service that focuses on USDA prime beef, which is the top 2-3% hand-selected cuts. Their USDA prime beef is sourced from the mid and middle-northern states known as the best areas of cattle production.
The company was founded in 1893 in the Union Stockyards neighborhood in Chicago. They offer humanely raised, grass-fed, and hormone-free American beef.
They also offer heritage breed pork, lamb, and veal. The Allen Bro company also provides a large selection of seafood and side dishes that are sourced from the regions to which it is native.
- Only offer 2-day shipping
You May Like: Kelly’s Steak And Seafood Menu