How Do You Make Marinade
Its quite simple! When I make a marinade, I aim to combine the following: some form of acid to tenderize , an oil and flavor. I always add some salt for flavor, but I also like to add garlic, onion or onion powder and dried seasonings. Whisk the ingredients together and toss with your choice of meat. Small pieces of meat season faster, so you wont have to marinate them for very long. Remove the meat from the marinade and discard. Cook however youd like and enjoy your juicy, flavorful meat.
Best Steak Marinade Variations:
- Use ½ cup apple cider instead of the balsamic vinegar.
- Add ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce to add a deeper flavor.
- Mix in 2 Tablespoons lemon juice to act as another meat tenderizer.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of Italian Seasoning to add in a slight herb flavor.
- Mix in minced garlic or garlic powder to your steak marinade to add a slight garlic flavor.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes to the marinade to add a spice to your steak.
How To Apply A Steak Marinade:
- First, decide what steak marinade recipe youre going to make. Weve listed several of our favorites homemade recipes below, but a quick online search will result in hundreds of recipe options. If youre pinched on time, you can buy one too .
- Next, make the steak marinade recipe. Most marinades use very simple pantry ingredients like olive oil, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
- If you want a deeper flavor, prick the surface of the meat with a fork before marinating. Less tender cuts should be marinated for anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours. The longer you marinade the beef, the stronger the flavor will be.
- Then, place the steak marinade and steak in a sealed plastic bag or glass container. Immerse the beef in the liquid, and refrigerate until its time to cook. Dont use a metal container for the marinade since the acidic ingredients can react with metal.
- Once youve placed the steak in the steak marinade mixture, place it in the refrigerator for anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight. Never marinate beef at room temperature for health safety reasons.
You May Like: Is Steak Good For Losing Weight
Best Ever Steak Marinade
Ive tried so many different steak marinades over the years but Id easily dub this balsamic steak marinade as the best! Some marinades tend to overpower steaks but youll find this one enhances the steaks flavors without being overwhelming.
Balsamic vinegar just add an instant upgrade to any food it paired with. Youll love that highlight of flavor here.
The other great thing about this recipe is that people of all ages will love it! Its flavorful enough to impress the adults but simple enough to keep kids happy too.
This will give you yet another reason to look forward to summer every year! A rich and tender marinated, grilled steak served with all those delicious summer sides.
To Make The Steaks In A Skillet
Also Check: How To Cook A Ribeye Steak On The Grill
The Perfect Steak Temperatures For Your Taste Pro Tips
The most sure-fire way to gauge when your steak is done is by using a digital thermometer. This way, you will know for sure that your steak is cooked to your fancy, and if you are entertaining guests, it means you wont mess things up. You insert your thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to check its level of doneness. Our first pro tip dont cook our steaks over 150 degrees F, or your cut may come out feeling dry and tough. Also, please remember to let your steaks rest! This is so important for keeping flavor and maintaining tenderness. Let your steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into them. Here are a few tips to ensure your steak is done at the right temperature:
- Rare: Should have an internal temp of 130 degrees F
- Medium Rare: Should have an internal temp of 135 degrees F
- Medium: Should have an internal temp of 145 degrees F
- Medium Well: Should have an internal temp of 150 degrees F
- Well Done: Should have an internal temp of 160 degrees F
Remember, not all steaks are created equal. At Steak University, we suggest that you keep your steaks below medium well in order to have the most tender and juicy cuts of meat.
How To Tell When Your Steak Is Done
For steaks that are 1.5 or thicker, use a meat thermometer. Start by charring them over High heat then moving them to a section set to low heat to finish cooking.
For thinner steaks, use a timer and cook over high heat.
- Rare: 3 minutes each side
- Medium Rare: 4 minutes each side
- Medium: 5 minutes each side
Read Also: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Ingredients
How Long Should You Marinate Steak
When it comes to the exact time period for how long should you marinate steak, there is no definite answer.
However, we recommend that it should be between 30 minutes and 24 hours.
Anything less than 30 minutes wont really make a huge difference compared to not marinating at all.
And anything longer than 24 hours runs the risk of breaking down the meat too much and can lead to a mushy mess.
The best time period for marinating steak is around 4 to 8 hours as this will allow the meat to take on as much flavor as possible without degrading it too much.
Of course, even though you can technically marinate steak for a few minutes, it wont make a huge difference in the finished product.
So, if you dont have a few hours for marinating steak, it is best to skip this step and move on with seasoning the meat.
However, if you want the flavors to marinate through your meat, try adding a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the mix which will help thin down your marinade so it can infuse meat in a very short time.
It is important to note that there is no exact time for marinating steak because every person has their own personal preference.
Disadvantages Of Marinating Steak
Sadly, there are some downsides to marinating steak that you should be aware of.
This cant be considered a comprehensive list because everything has its pros and cons, but here are some major disadvantages of marinating steak.
- Adds extra step to cooking that not everyone wants to take
- Requires planning ahead as the meat needs time to absorb flavors
- Can generally only apply to tougher cuts since they would require more tenderizing
When you marinate, the flavors of your spices will penetrate into the meat.
This means that if you plan on grilling your steaks and adding seasoning after they are cooked, it wont work so well because the marinade flavor has already been added.
If you want to add traditional seasonings to your grilled steak, you should add them beforehand.
This is because over time some of the flavorful juices will be drained from the meat while it absorbs all that new flavor.
So, if you plan on marinating some steaks overnight you are going to want to keep them in the fridge while they catch up on their beauty sleep.
Luckily, marinating steak for a shorter amount of time isnt necessarily bad because it still allows enough time for the flavors to seep through without making your meat too soft.
Recommended Reading: Jims Steak Out West Seneca
How Do You Know When Your Steak Is Done
Now that youve given these steaks the tender love and care they deserve, lets make sure the cooking process goes off without a hitch! Whether youre using the grill or a skillet on the stove top, you want to make sure the heat is nice and high to get that sought-after sear.
- Rare: 130°F-140°F, 2-3 minutes per side
- Medium-rare: 145°F, 4-5 minutes per side
- Medium: 160°F, 6-7 minutes per side
- Well done: 170°F, 8-9 minutes per side
Tri Tip Steak Marinade Buyers Guide
Many sources can provide information about products- buying guides, reviews, word-of-mouth recommendations, online forums, independent product reviews found throughout the internet, and even YouTube channels. Only thorough research can help you find the right tri tip steak marinade. Thats right? Arent doing that sometimes difficult? In order to prevent you from worrying, we have put together a list of the top tri tip steak marinade on the market for your benefit. The products are not selected at random. Several factors are taken into account when assembling the list. Like almost any product, before buying tri tip steak marinade, you should ask yourself these few questions:
- How reputable are tri tip steak marinade in comparison to market competitors?
- How durable and long-lasting are they?
- Why is it worth buying tri tip steak marinade instead of other products?
- What are some key features and highlights of dinner jack?
- Where can you buy tri tip steak marinade?
Don’t Miss: How To Order Steak Online
Tips For How To Marinate Steak
Okay, so while its simple, there are still some quick tips Id like to share that will help you marinate and cook your steak like a pro. Here are some helpful tips on how to marinate steak to have the best results.
- Use a sealable plastic bag, large bowl with plastic wrap, or an air-tight container. You want to seal in the juices and flavors as much as possible. As a general rule, I use a 1 quart sized bag when Im marinating less than a pound of steak, and its perfect.
- Keep marinating meat away from other foods in your fridge to avoid unsafe contamination of the raw meat.
- Use a combination of an acid, oil, and spices in your marinade.
- Make sure to discard the unused marinade once its time to cook the meat and dont use it as a sauce unless you cook it first because it will contain raw steak juices.
- For the best results, try to marinate the steak the night before you cook it for the maximum flavor.
- If you cant get to cooking your marinated steak within two days, you can also freeze the meat in the marinade to be used later. Thats a benefit of using the freezer-safe bags you can just toss them right into the freezer for later. Then, when its time to cook, thaw the meat and cook.
- For most marinades, use about 1/2 cup of the marinade for every 2 pounds of beef.
- After removing the beef from the marinade, pat all sides of the steak dry with paper towels to prevent steaming and encourage browning.
Do You Have To Use Soy Sauce To Make A 3
One of the major ingredients in our 3-ingredient steak marinade recipe is soy sauce. This salty liquid is made from fermented soybeans and wheat, adding both savory flavor and salt to season the steak. But, because it’s made with wheat, it’s off-limits to anyone following a gluten-free diet.
If you want to skip the soy sauce, you can use several other ingredients that make a good substitution. The easiest one to use is tamari, a Japanese version of soy sauce that is often made without wheat. Be sure to double-check the bottle to ensure that it is actually gluten-free, as some versions of tamari contain trace amounts of wheat. You could also use coconut aminos or liquid aminos. Coconut aminos is made from fermented coconut sap, and liquid aminos is made from non-fermented soybeans. Both of these products are naturally gluten-free, but they’re sweeter and less salty than soy sauce.
A third option is to skip the soy sauce altogether. You can simply use the other two ingredients with a pinch of salt, but you’ll need to increase the oil and balsamic by a half-tablespoon each to make up the difference in liquid content.
Don’t Miss: Flat Iron Steak Order Online
How To Make The Perfect Steak
You need 3 things in order to have a delicious steak:
Once you have these three things, make this homemade steak marinade. It really is delicious! I am seriously now thinking of buying enough rib eye or tri tip to last me the entire week so I can eat more of this!
How Long To Cook Steak
A serving size of steak is 3 ounces which is roughly the same size as the palm of your hand or a deck of playing cards. Generally speaking, one 1-pound steak fillet yields about two servings, but the size of steaks can vary. For the recipes in this post, I have assumed a 1-lb. portion of a tougher cut of steak, flank steak, which works great. For families looking to marinate enough steak, you can easily double the recipes provided for 2+ pounds of steak.
The cook time will vary slightly with the size and thickness of the steak, but there are some basic guidelines you can follow for how long to cook steak. The major point when cooking steak is that it reaches an internal temperature of 145° Fahrenheit so that it is safe to eat.
Recommended Reading: Wusthof Gourmet 4 Pc Steak Knife Set
How To Choose A Tri Tip Steak Marinade
To choose the perfect tri tip steak marinade, youll want to:
- Do you want what type of product? Are you buying a product?
- Measure the space: Theres nothing worse than falling in love with tri tip steak marinade only to discover it wont fit!
- Think about aesthetics: Does colour matter to you?
- Read reviews and talk with friends: Knowledge is power! Other tri tip steak marinade users can be a helpful source of information about how well a mat holds up and whether there are any downsides, which you should know before purchasing.
- Do some bargain shopping: Coupons and sales can help you save money, so you can spend it on something else youd enjoy.
Should You Let Your Steak Rest
Always, always, always let the meat rest before slicing it. You see, all the juices inside the meat are driven to the steak’s center as it cooks. Those juices need time to redistribute within the meat, making sure every bite is as juicy as the next. If you were to slice it right away, those juices would spill out onto the cutting board, making some of the steak taste dry. After going through so much trouble to infuse the meat with those 3-ingredient marinade flavors and cook it to the perfect temperature, it would be a shame to end up with a less-than-perfect steak.
Instead, let the steak rest for at least three minutes . Then, grab a sharp carving knife and slice away. Some juices will still come out as you slice, so it’s best to use a cutting board with a deep groove around the outside to catch the excess liquid.
Recommended Reading: Steak Restaurants In St Louis
The Pop Of Papaya Marinade
This one’s probably a bit different than steak marinade recipes you’ve used in the past. Papaya naturally tenderizes tough meat fibers through an enzyme in its skin, while also adding a natural flavor to it. This recipe just requires the papaya skins, but don’t let the fruit go to wastea fresh papaya salad goes great with this marinated steak.
What You Need
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme leaves
- 34 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 14 teaspoon ground ginger
- 14 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
What To Do
In a mixing bowl, stir scallions, mustard, thyme, pepper, ginger, and cumin. Rub the mixture evenly over the steak.
Put 2 of the papaya skin halves in a glass baking dish, flesh side up. Place steak on top of them, then top with remaining 2 papaya skins, flesh side down. Be sure the skins are touching the meat’s surfacethat’s what will break down the fibers to effectively marinade
Cover baking dish and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
Heat grill pan to medium high.
Discard papaya skins and lightly oil both sides of steak, seasoning with salt. Grill the steak about 5 minutes on each side. Carve the meat across the grain into thin slices and serve.
Tips For Steak Marinade
- This marinade will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, so its great to make in advance if youre entertaining. You can even freeze your marinade for up to 2 months if need be!
- Feel free to use a low sodium soy sauce if youre watching your salt intake.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of dry herbs that is available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is typically a blend of dried basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. If you cant find Italian seasoning, you can blend together your own dried herbs in equal amounts.
- The steak in these photos is topped with an herb butter which is super easy to make. Simply combine 1/4 cup softened butter with 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs, 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add a dollop of butter on top of each steak as it comes off the grill.
- This marinade works well with most cuts of beef, I recommend using it on flank steak, New York strip, ribeye, sirloin or filet mignon.
Read Also: Whole Foods New York Strip Steak