How Do You Tenderize Thin Steak
4 Ways to Tenderize Steak Marinate: Marinating your steak in acids or enzymes breaks down the fibers and tenderizes the steak. Pound: Pounding your steak is an easy way to break down the fibers and soften the meat. Salt: Salting your steak is a simple tenderization method that breaks down the protein cells in the meat.
How Do You Grill A 1 And 1/4 Inch New York Strip
In order to cross grill marks, rotate the meat 90% after 2 12 minutes on each side so its evenly distributed. Grill five minutes on both sides on each side. 5 minutes from now, flip. If using an electric grill, grill for approximately three additional minutes for rare, about four minutes for medium, and five minutes for prime.
Grilled New York Strip Steak Recipe
Grilling New York Strip steaks is the best way to cook this prime cut of meat! You just can’t beat the seared char on the outside and the tender, juicy inside. With basic ingredients and a quick, simple preparation, this Grilled New York Strip Steak recipe lets the meat’s robust natural flavors shine! Serve your grilled steak with a baked potato and Caesar salad for a classic, crowd-pleasing dinner.
I happen to live with four meat-loving boys, so grilled steak is a staple on our summertime table. Since my husband is typically in charge of the grill, I asked him to share his go-to New York Strip Steak recipe on the blog. Not only is this process simple, quick and delicious, it’s 100% kid-approved. When you find the best way to cook New York Strip, you stick with it!
Also Check: Steak Of The Month Club Butchers Market
Tips For The Best New York Strip Steak Recipe
- Room Temperature Meat: Let the steaks rest on the counter at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before grilling. This will take the chill off of the meat and help the steaks cook evenly.
- How to Season New York Strip Steak: Don’t over-do the seasoning — you just need enough kosher salt to help draw out moisture, create a nice sear, and flavor the meat you don’t want too many other ingredients that will detract from the natural flavors. That’s why we love a light dusting of the simple combination of garlic, onion, parsley and basil in our all-purpose seasoning. Just some plain kosher salt, freshly-ground black pepper and a pinch of garlic powder will also work well!
- Use a Meat Thermometer: As explained above, the total grilling time will vary. Use an instant-read thermometer to know when your meat is done. For a medium-rare finish, the beef should reach an internal temperature of 130-140°F.
- Let the Meat Rest: Allow the steaks to rest on a platter or cutting board for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. This will give the juices time to redistribute through the meat so that they don’t all run out onto your cutting board.
Should You Serve Steak Pre
Just like any and every cut of meat that comes off a hot grill, make sure to let the meat sit and rest. This allows the moisture in the meat to reabsorb into the full cut of meat and helps keep it juicy and flavorful.
If you cut it too soon, you will know it because all the juices will run out onto the cutting board. Some people think that water is blood because it has a reddish tint to it, but its not! Blood coagulates and does not just sit in a piece of meat waiting to spill out. Not trying to gross anyone out, but just trying to point out the difference, which is very important.
Restaurants typically serve a New York Strip cut into a bunch of slices. They slice against the grain of the meat which helps the bite of meat be easier to chew rather than stringy.
If you are serving as an appetizer, then cutting it into strips which folks can pick up easily with a toothpick makes perfect sense. When it comes to serving individual steaks as an main course though, Id leave the slicing up to the eater.
Recommended Reading: Larry’s Steaks Menu Rising Sun
What Temperature Do You Grill A 1
The same goes with 1-inch strip steaks when it comes to the temperature you need to use to cook it properly. However, you need to make sure that you cook it longer.
1-inch strip steaks can get up to 177 degrees Fahrenheit when it comes to the internal temperature, which means that the interior is cooked but not dried out.
Since the steak is thicker, it is only natural to allow it to reach a higher internal temperature so that the interior cooks and all the bacteria inside are killed.
If you were wondering how to grill a new york steak then this guide is going to help you out A LOT.
If it is your first time then do check out this easy grilled New York Strip steak recipe.
If you like the post then do not forget to share it on social media!
Tips For A Perfect Steak
The key to a moist, tender, and flavorful New York strip is to avoid doing too much to it. Follow these simple rules and you will have a great steak.
Recommended Reading: Pee Dee Steak House On 125 Menu
How To Grill The Perfect Ny Strip Steak
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Ingredients2 tbsp compound butter
Step 1: Place the steaks and compound butter on the counter and allow them to come up to room temperature for about an hour.
Step 2: Light grill and set up for high direct heat. Youll want to get the coals as hot and as close to the cooking grate as possible. If using a gas grill, allow the grill to preheat with the lid closed for at least 15 minutes.
Step 3: Evenly coat strip steaks with olive oil and season them liberally with coarse sea salt. Put two pats of compound butter on each plate and set aside.
*Tip I dont recommend putting pepper on at this point as the extreme heat will burn it, producing a bitter flavor. I also dont recommend using a premixed rub as many of them contain sugar which will also burn. Trust me on this one, just use the salt and let the meat shine through.
Step 4: Place steaks directly over hot coals and flip every 20 seconds. With each flip, place the steaks in a different spot on the grill grate. This allows the best searing to take place through conductive heat. The steaks below have been on the grill for about 2.5 minutes total, and you can already see that nice crust forming.
Step 5: After about five minutes of total cook time, use a reliable quick read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steak. Remove steaks from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 115° F for a medium rare steak.
How Long Do You Grill A 1
A 1-inch thick strip steak might not seem like it is too thick, but for a tough cut of meat, you need to grill it for longer periods of time to allow the heat to seep through the meat.
Usually, I cook mine for at least 10 minutes as with that amount of time, I like the slightly medium-rare finish.
So basically I cook it for 5 minutes on each side.
This takes some practice though, as the timer is not the most reliable indicator.
So if you want to make sure that the steak is cooked to the doneness that you want, invest in a good meat probe to measure the internal temperature of the steaks.
Also Check: Did Mcdonald’s Discontinue Egg White Delight
How To Season Grilled Steak
Some of the biggest reasons a steak might not be flavorful is the cut or quality of steak itself or the steak might not be seasoned well enough. For this recipe I grilled up a Private Reserve 14oz beef strip loin steak from Omaha Steaks. These are thick, beefy, robust steaks of extraordinary quality.
Once you have a great cut of beef, you just have to know how to season grilled steak appropriately. More often than not, people tend to under season their beef. If you are just salting a steak, I prefer to use kosher salt. You can see and thus control how much salt lands on your steak prior to or after cooking.
If you are using a seasoning blend, be quite liberal with how much you put on the steak. Remember, some seasoning will stick to your plate as your carry it to the grill or your stove. Some seasoning will also stick to the grill itself or possibly the pan you cook it in.
What Is A New York Strip Steak
The New York strip steak, considered one of the most luxurious and tender cuts of meat, comes from the short loin of the cow. The short loin area contains muscle with minimal stress and includes generous Therefore, it makes for a tender cut of meat. A little seasoning, patience, and a quick sear should do it most of the time. However, this tender, juicy cut can be enjoyed in many more ways.
The New York strip steak goes by many names, including Sirloin, Strip Loin, Top Loin, and Kansas City steak. It is a strip steak with the bone removed. If you buy a T-bone steak, the New York strip is on one side of the bone while the tenderloin is on the other .
Don’t Miss: Sam’s Club Philly Cheese Steak
Prepare The Compound Butter
The compound butter will help the steaks get a nice crispy crust and that juicy texture inside.
Combine the salted butter, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme in a bowl.
Use one tablespoon of the mixture on your serving platter.
Make sure that you do this before grilling the steaks to create a nice and smooth platter once the steaks cook.
How To Cook Strip Steak On The Grill
- Be sure your steak is completely thawed.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Remove your steak from the refrigerator 30-40 minutes before grilling.
- Season steaks as desired we recommend Kansas City Steak Original Steak Seasoning.
- To cook on a charcoal grill, place steaks over the hottest part of the grill, and sear both sides for 1-2 minutes. Then move to medium, ash-covered coals and continue to grill for the times listed in the chart below. Turn about 1 minute prior to the halfway point.
- To cook on a gas grill, preheat on high. Sear both sides for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to medium heat and continue to grill for the times listed in the chart below. Turn about 1 minute prior to the halfway point.
- For the perfect medium-rare strip steak, grill for 9-12 minutes for a 1-inch steak, and 12-14 minutes for a 1½ inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point. A meat thermometer should read 130°F.
- Rest your steaks for 5 minutes before serving, covering lightly with foil. The temperature of the meat will continue to rise about 5°F during this time . The final temperature will read 135°F.
- Resting steak is also important because the heat of cooking pulls the juices in the meat toward the surface if you slice into it immediately after cooking, those flavorful juices will end up on your plate, not in your steak. Allowing your steak to rest will give the juices time to sink back in and throughout the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful.
Read Also: Are Omaha Steaks Delivered Frozen
Choose Meat With Marbling
When trying to pick the best cut of beef for New York strip, try to pick out meat that has the most signs of marbling on the surface.
These are the grains of white fat that you often see running through the flesh of red meat. As beef cooks, this fat will start to render and melt and start to tenderize the meat and add more flavor.
What Temperature Should I Cook Steak On A Traeger
The meat must becooked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees at the Traeger Grill. It roast at its lowest temperature, 70 150 degrees F, 160 170 degrees F, and sometimes even more. Depending on the beefs temperature, cook it on medium for 30 minutes to 150 degrees Celsius. Usually, it takes about 40 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Country Fried Steak Sam’s Club
What Is Strip Steak
A strip steak is cut from the short loin of the cow. This muscle doesnt do too much work, making the strip steak a rather tender cut of meat. Its not quite as tender as the nearby tenderloin, but its still a great option for a nice, typically boneless steak that cooks evenly and quickly with a great beef flavor and nice chew.
Strip steaks have many names, including Kansas-city steak, New York strip steak, top loin, and a hotel-style steak. No matter what you call them, they are delicious and tender and a popular restaurant steak. Strip steaks are best when they are well-marbled with nice, white fat weaving through the muscle of the steak.
New York Steaks With Blue Cheese Butter
Recipefrom Webers Real Grilling by Jamie Purviance
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ouncescrumbled blue cheese crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ teaspoongranulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoonfreshly ground black pepperfreshly ground black pepper
Also Check: Canada Steak Burger Chula Vista
Is New York Strip Good For Grilling
New York strip steak is considered one of the best cuts of meat to be grilled. So, Yes, New York strip steak is good for grilling.
Not only does it have a meaty flavor, but it is also one of the best-marbled cuts of steak making it flavourful and taste delicious when cooked.
In turn, this gives the meat a tender texture and a juicy finish that comes from the melted fats.
Although it is sometimes tough, you can solve that by grilling it properly, such as in the recipe above.
Tips For The Perfect Grilled New York Steak
- Allow your beef to come to room temperature before grilling.
- Follow our Steak Temperature Chart
- Let your steaks rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing them.
- Always slice against the grain for the most tender cuts.
Follow this chart and our Steak Temperature Chart to find your ideal degree of doneness!
How Long Do You Sear A Steak Before Putting It In The Oven
Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. After the steaks are seared, put the pan directly into the oven and roast the steaks to a desired doneness using the timing suggestions in the chart below. Transfer the steaks to dinner plates or a platter, and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
How Do You Grill A 2 Inch Steak
A: To grill a 2 inch steak, you will need to sear it on the outside and cook it on the inside. You can do this by placing your steak over high heat for about 3 minutes before turning down to medium-low heat.
- how to make new york strip steak tender
- how to grill new york strip steak on gas grill
- how long to cook steak on grill
- how to grill thin new york strip steak
- 2-inch new york strip steak grill time
You May Like: Creamy Dill Mustard Mcdonalds
Is New York Strip Steak Healthy
New York Strip Steak is a leaner cut of beef with a high amount of protein, amino acids, iron, and zinc. Here are some health benefits of steak:
- Protein: steak is a powerful source of protein to fuel your body. It is excellent for helping to build muscle and for maintaining muscle mass. Even fit individuals can suffer muscle atrophy if they do not consume enough protein which contains amino acids . Protein can also help repair muscles from wear and tear and to relieve muscle aches.
- Amino acids: steak also contains the dietary amino acid called beta-alanine, which helps form a dipeptide called carnosine, which is crucial to support physical activity. Healthy levels of carnosine reduce fatigue and improves muscle performance, endurance and precision during physical activity.
- Iron: steak contains high levels of iron which is absorbed more quickly than iron found in supplements and even some vegetables. Iron is needed to carry oxygen to from the lungs to all parts of the body. Your body also needs iron to make some hormones and keep your hair, skin and nails healthy. If you do not have enough iron, you wont have healthy oxygen circulation, which will cause fatigue and grogginess.
- Zinc: A serving of beef contains 4.8 mg of zinc, which is 44% of the Daily Value. Zinc is vital for a healthy immune system, correctly synthesizing DNA, and healing wounds.