What Part Of The Cow Is The New York Strip
The New York strip comes from the short loin region on the cow. Situated behind the rib and above the flank, the muscles in the short loin region do not see a lot of activity during the daily life of the cow. For this reason, the meat here is especially tender and frequently has a lot of marbling. This translates into a moist, juicy, and tender steak post-cooking as the fat automatically bastes the meat and keeps it from going dry. The steak has intense beef flavor, and its texture provides a rewarding mouth-feel.
Ideal Size And Calories
New York strip steaks come in a few standard sizes. Most butchers would be happy to provide you with an 8 oz. Steak just under an inch thick. However, the ideal size in our experience is a 16 oz. Steak that is about 1.5 in thickness. The New York strip is also considered a healthy cut of meat, with only about 250 calories of energy per 8 oz. steak. It also has the least fat content among all other loin cuts.
One Other Factor To Keep In Mind Though: Most Of Costcos Steaks Are Blade
This is also known as being needled, and means theyve been mechanically punctured to make them more tender whether that should be necessary to do to Choice and Prime beef is up for debate, but the fact is, they do it.
This has the potential to drive surface bacteria deeper into the meat, so to be safe, you should cook these steaks to the recommended internal temperature of 160 degrees. If you like your steak rare, you can ignore the suggestion and chance it , but food safety standards strongly advise against it.
If you buy a whole roast or loin to carve into steaks yourself , this wont be a concern.
Is there any point in eating steak thats not at least medium rare?
Also Check: Where To Buy Philly Steak Meat
Recommended Reading: Laguiole Steak Knives Set Of 8
What Is A New York Strip Steak
The New York strip steak, considered one of the most luxurious and tender cuts of meat, comes from the short loin of the cow. The short loin area contains muscle with minimal stress and includes generous Therefore, it makes for a tender cut of meat. A little seasoning, patience, and a quick sear should do it most of the time. However, this tender, juicy cut can be enjoyed in many more ways.
The New York strip steak goes by many names, including Sirloin, Strip Loin, Top Loin, and Kansas City steak. It is a strip steak with the bone removed. If you buy a T-bone steak, the New York strip is on one side of the bone while the tenderloin is on the other .
How The Butchers Prepare New York Striploin Steak
We recommend butter basting this bad boy on a cast iron pan, high hight, for that delicious, crusty sear that brings out all the flavor this steak is known for.
Simple is best when it comes to New York steaks. Season both sides of your steak with a generous amount of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, then cook on a high-heat grill for 5-6 minutes per side. After removing your steaks from the grill, let them sit a couple minutes before slicing thinly and serving to your guests.
Choose this approach for a thicker cut , though can use it with thinner steaks . Youll need a cast iron skillet or broiling pan. Heat your broiler to high and adjust the rack to the right distance . Rub each side of the steak with a little olive oil, salt, and fresh ground pepper, then broil each side 3-4 minutes. After removing from the oven, let your steak rest for about five minutes before serving. Just like many restaurants do it!
Our favorite preparation by far. Heat a cast iron skillet to high heat and give it a generous drizzle of canola oil. Pat your steak dry, then season it generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, add your steak and check for the sizzle. Sear your steak for 4-5 minutes, then flip. Add a generous amount of your favorite butter , garlic cloves, and rosemary. As the steak cooks, continue to pour the melted butter onto the top frequently, 4-5 minutes.
Be the first to know about new products, special offers, and delicious Butcher Shoppe content!
You May Like: Bob And Tom Omaha Steak Deal
Reverse Sear Method For Strip Steak
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the steak, and transfer the steak to the skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven. Cook for 15-30 minutes. This will depend on thickness and how done youd like your steak to be. For medium-rare, pull from the oven when the steak reaches about 120 degrees.
- Heat the skillet to medium-high on a stove burner with a drizzle of oil. Sear steaks on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Move steaks to a clean plate tented with foil to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat water bath to 130 degrees.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the strip steak.
- Add the steak to a sealable bag with a few thyme or rosemary sprigs.
- Remove air from the bag while sealing, and place the bag into the water bath so that the steak is fully submerged.
- Cook for 1 Â½ to 2 hours, depending on the steaks thickness.
- Sear the steak on both sides in a cast-iron skillet.
- Rest for five minutes on a foil-tented plate before serving.
Read Also: Mcdonalds Steak Bagel Where To Buy
How Did The New York Strip Steak Get Its Name
The name New York Strip stems from its close association and geography with the city, with many noted restaurants offering this as a signature dish from the early 1800s. History states that a local New York restaurant named Delmonicos offered a steak from the short loin area of a beef. They named the steak the Delmonico Steak and promoted it as their signature dish. Due to their close proximity to New York, this short loin cut became known as the New York Strip.
Don’t Miss: Henckels Steak Knives Dishwasher Safe
How To Cook Beef New York Strip Steak
Remember to remove your Beef New York Strip Steak out of the packaging, pat dry and bring to room temperature
Pre heat your griddle or heavy based frying pan until it sizzles when you add a drop of oil
Season the meat just prior to cooking
Dont overcrowd the cooking base, a couple of medium sized steaks per pan
Place the steaks on the fat to render before searing on the flat sides
Cook over high heat turning the steak only once after a rich, golden crust has formed, reduce the heat to medium when crust has formed
Cook 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium rare
Finish by adding a large knob of butter when frying or on the griddle
Leave to rest in a warm place at least 5 minutes before carving
The meat will become more firm as it cooks, gently press with your thumb, the more spring back you get the hotter the protein cells have expand which means the more well done your meat is, for a medium rare steak it should have a soft feel with a little spring back
Award winning meat
Is Ny Strip A Good Steak
Its not quite as tender as the nearby tenderloin, but its still a great option for a nice, typically boneless steak that cooks evenly and quickly with a great beef flavor and nice chew. No matter what you call them, they are delicious and tender and a popular restaurant steak.
What is the difference between New York steak and New York strip steak? If one looks at a typical T-bone steak the larger side of the steak becomes a strip steak once cut from the bone. After that the way it is trimmed and prepared makes the difference between New York and Kansas City strip steaks, but these too are the same basic cut of beef.
Whats wrong with Costco rotisserie chicken?
Costcos rotisserie chicken has 460 mg of sodium per 3-ounce serving. Thats one-fifth of the maximum amount of sodium adults should consume in a day . ShopRites Bowl & Basket chicken has even more sodium, with 520 mg per 3-ounce serving.
Where does Costco pork come from? Where Does Costco Get Its Pork? Costco sources the majority of its pork products for its Kirkland Signature branded pork primal cuts, bacon, and ham from JBS Swift USA, which is based in Indiana and is the countrys second-largest name in pig farming and pork processing.
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Salmon Steaks
Should You Buy Steak From Costco
Its good quality and a great value but there are other factors to consider.
Should you buy your steak at Costco? That depends.
Costco is at once a wonderland and a hellishly vast maze of obstacles . My household only signed up for membership in the cult store once wed purchased an actual house with room to hoard things, and now we go primarily for dog food, army-supply amounts of toilet paper and paper towels, monster packs of string cheese and oversize jars of fantastic almond butter.
Weve gotten electronics there too, and there are a few other staples we stock up on, plus the inevitable impulse buys, but we usually skirt the steak and other meat options. The quantities are just so big. And we dont eat a ton of meat in general, so it doesnt seem to make sense, but with professional chefs praising the quality of Costco beef, it is tempting to try it out.
There are several factors to consider when deciding if its logical to buy your steaks at Costco. The three most important are probably cost, quality of meat and the sheer amount of it, which are all intertwined. Then theres also the matter of whats in stock at your nearest Costco, and whether you can even get inside to shop. So lets try to break it down.
Recommended Reading: Steak N Lobster New York
How To Cook Strip Steak
Strip steaks are easy to cook on the grill, under the broiler, or in a cast-iron skillet on the stovetop. You can also sear them in a skillet and then transfer it to a preheated 425 F oven to finish cooking.
Let the steaks come to room temperature on the counter for at least 30 minutes before you cook them so they cook evenly. Pat them dry with paper towels so you can get a good sear quickly. And dont be afraid to use some butter with this leaner cut.
Donât Miss: Steak And Shake Gainesville Fl
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Usda Prime Steaks
Grillinga New York Strip Steak
Start off by getting a high quality cut from your local butcher or an online Butcher like Snake River Farms that offers Wagyu beef.
- 1 Hour before the cook, I salt my steaks with Kosher salt. I lightly cover both sides of the steak and then refrigerate for 30 minutes. Do not add pepper. Pepper burns easily. On add pepper when the steak is plated.
- After 30 minutes in the fridge, I remove them and let them warm on the counter top. It is OK to let beef move close to room temperature before grilling. This is a good time to fire up your grill and get it to high searing temps.
- I dab the steaks dry with a paper towel and then place them on the grill.
- Depending on the size of the steak, you will want to grill each side around 3 minutes. Use a meat temperature probe to know what temp the steaks are. The chart below shows steak doneness temps.
- Dont forget that the steaks will continue to rise in temp slightly after they are removed from the grill so take them off a couple degrees before the final done temperature.
- Remove the steaks and cover lightly in foil for 5 to 8 minutes. Resting is important.
For more information, here is a detailed guide on getting that perfect grilled steak.
If you want that awesome diamond pattern on your steak, place the steaks in a 45 degree angle on the grill and flip in half the time above . Flip again but turn the steak 90 degrees. Flip after another 1min 45sec. until done.
Is New York Strip Steak Healthy
New York Strip Steak is a leaner cut of beef with a high amount of protein, amino acids, iron, and zinc. Here are some health benefits of steak:
- Protein: steak is a powerful source of protein to fuel your body. It is excellent for helping to build muscle and for maintaining muscle mass. Even fit individuals can suffer muscle atrophy if they do not consume enough protein which contains amino acids . Protein can also help repair muscles from wear and tear and to relieve muscle aches.
- Amino acids: steak also contains the dietary amino acid called beta-alanine, which helps form a dipeptide called carnosine, which is crucial to support physical activity. Healthy levels of carnosine reduce fatigue and improves muscle performance, endurance and precision during physical activity.
- Iron: steak contains high levels of iron which is absorbed more quickly than iron found in supplements and even some vegetables. Iron is needed to carry oxygen to from the lungs to all parts of the body. Your body also needs iron to make some hormones and keep your hair, skin and nails healthy. If you do not have enough iron, you wont have healthy oxygen circulation, which will cause fatigue and grogginess.
- Zinc: A serving of beef contains 4.8 mg of zinc, which is 44% of the Daily Value. Zinc is vital for a healthy immune system, correctly synthesizing DNA, and healing wounds.
Also Check: Henckels Four Star Steak Knives
Don’t Miss: Best Mail Order Dry Aged Steaks
Where Does Ny Steak Come From On The Cow
A New York Strip is cut from the short loin of the cow. This section lies in front of the thigh and behind the rib. Because this cut is mostly muscle, it has a deep beefy flavor and chewy texture.
It comes from the muscle called the longissimus, which makes it tender, as mentioned above. However, it is not as tender as its nearest neighbors, the tenderloin or psoas major.
Compared to the tenderloin, the longissimus is massive, hence it yields larger portions.
Delivered To Your Doorstep For A Fine Dining Experience At Home
To maximize freshness and preserve quality, our products are frozen in a blast freezer and packaged individually. This locks in all of the natural juices and preserves texture. Each steak is then carefully nestled into a polystyrene cooler containing more than enough dry ice and/or gel packs to ensure safe delivery. Our painstaking shipping process spares no expense in providing you with a superior-quality steak delivered straight to your doorstep.
Don’t Miss: Perfect New York Strip Steak
Ingredients That Youll Need:
Using this Costco New York Steak recipe, you can enjoy restaurant-quality food at home for a fraction of the cost. Making this steak at home will save you time and money. You can eat it in your pajamas surrounded by family or make it a romantic dinner for two. Make it however you like! I promise you wont regret it!
- New York Steak: It is best to let your steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking it.
- Salt and Pepper: Prepare the steaks ahead of time by seasoning them.
- Olive Oil: Before cooking, warm the skillet with the oil.
- Butter: As the steak cooks, this keeps it moist and tender.
- Garlic Cloves: By adding the garlic cloves, the flavor is more intense.
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme Sprigs: Perfect for topping the steak at the end.
Other Names For Strip Steak
The New York Strip was first called Delmonico steak, named for the restaurant that created the cut in 1827. This steak is also called Kansas City Strip steak in the U.S., strip loin steak in Canada, and sirloin steak in Australia and New Zealand.
If you Google what is a New York Strip steak? you may also find it called:
- Ambassador steak
- Boneless Club steak
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Buffalo Steaks
How To Cook The New York Strip Steak
To get a New York strip right, you have to first pay attention to the size, thickness, and quality of the meat. Thicker steaks need more time to cook and might benefit from methods like reverse searing or sous vide. However, in most cases, the best way to cook a New York strip is a quick sear on the pan or in the grill. Just buy the best quality cut you can within your budget and cook it simply for the best results.
Best A5 Wagyu Beef For Sale Online
Originating from Japan, Wagyu beef is considered by many to be the best beef in the world. Like Kobi Beef, the luxurious taste and tenderness of highly-marbled Wagyu beef has the makings of a truly unrivaled eating experience, which is precisely why its found its way into the kitchens of gourmet cooks and fine restaurants across the United States. However, not all Wagyu beef is the same, as divergent cattle-farming techniques and country of origin vary in presentation and flavor profile.
If youre looking to buy the best prime gourmet beef online, our diverse Wagyu beef options are a succulent must-have. From Grass-Fed Tajima Wagyu beef to Australian Wagyu Beef for sale, we offer a vast selection of premium options ready to be delivered to your door.
You May Like: Americaâs Test Kitchen Steak Knives
You May Like: Where To Buy Spinalis Steak