What Is The Best Way To Cook Round Steak So It Is Tender
One of the best ways to cook round steak is by braising it. This involves cooking the steak in a small amount of liquid, such as water, wine, or broth, at a low temperature for an extended period of time.
This method helps to break down the tough connective tissue in the meat, resulting in a more tender final product. When braising round steak, it is important to begin by browning the meat in a hot skillet. This will help to create a flavorful crust on the outside of the steak.
The meat should then be transferred to a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot and covered with liquid. The pot should be placed in a preheated oven and cooked for 1-2 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender.
How To Cook A Petite Steak
If youve ever tried Googling this question, you probably already know the answer. Still, if youre still debating on how to best cook sirloin steak, placing it on the stovetop is the right way to go and although stovetop recipes may appear similar at first, the devil is in the details.
Lucky for you, Ive made sure to write down all the best ones, and once you nail those down, a pan-seared sirloin steak will become a must on your weekly culinary agenda!
Perfect Pan Seared Steak
Out of just about any food steak was always one of the most intimidating things for me to cook. I dont know what it was maybe the high price tag and how they can easily be overcooked but with a few simple tips steak can be a breeze to cook.
Its one of my husband and kids favorite foods so Ive been trying to cook it once a month and this method has been my favorite lately. I just cant get enough of that crispy browned exterior and that rich garlicy butter!
Plus, I love that this method is one you can use year round, including when your grill is covered with snow in the winter.
Read Also: Cattleman’s Cut Flank Steak Beef Jerky
How To Cook Flat Iron Steak In The Oven
Steak Doneness Temperature Chart:
A steaks internal temperature continues to rise as it rests, so remove steaks from the pan about 5-10 degrees before reaching your desired doneness. Use this chart to determine steak doneness when testing with an instant-read thermometer. For example, if you desire a medium doneness steak, remove it from the pan at 145 degrees F and it should rise to 150-155F as it rests. The USDA recommends cooking steaks to at least 145 degrees. Read more beef safety tips here. Use the following steak temperature chart. These numbers reflect the final temperature after resting 10 minutes.
- Medium Rare : 145 degrees F
- Medium : 160 degrees F
- Well Done : 170 degrees F
Pro Tip: Check the temperature using an instant-read thermometer, inserting it horizontally into the side of the steak, so it penetrates the thickest part of the center of the steak .
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Buy Tri Tip Steak
Cook To Your Desired Level Of Doneness
To cook your steak to medium or medium-rare, set the skillet over medium-high heat. To cook the steak to medium or well-done, start at medium-high for the first few minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking to your desired doneness.
Depending on the thickness of your steak:
- Rare to Medium-Rare Steak: two to three minutes per side over medium-high heat
- Medium-Rare to Medium Steak: three to four minutes per side
- Medium to Well-Done: four to five minutes per side
Seasoning Of The Steak
When you start cooking the steak, you need to first season it. You do not need to unnecessarily add a lot of spices to make it taste heavenly. Even a few spices would do. In our case, we are going to use only salt to season the steak. However, make sure to select the kosher salt and not just any salt.
Kosher salt is selected as it consists of large and coarse grains. This imparts a better flavor to the steak. On the other hand, the table salt has smaller granules. These granules break further and give it a strong briny flavor.
To start the seasoning process, take out the freezed steak from the freezer. You need the first season. The steak and then let it attain the room temperature. Thus, sprinkle a large quantity of kosher salt. You need to be generous while sprinkling it. After you have covered all the sides of the steak, you can leave it. Make sure to completely unfreeze it. That takes around half an hour to 45 minutes.
This time is crucial to the steak cooking process. It lets the meat take in all the seasoning. Moreover, it lets it cook evenly and perfectly so that it is soft and tender. Make sure to follow this process carefully so that you end up with perfect, juicy steaks.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Steak Shish Kabobs
How To Make Tender Round Steaks
Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the steaks and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until browned.
Reduce the heat to low and add butter to the pan. Once melted, spoon the butter over the steaks. Cover the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the steaks are cooked to your desired degree of doneness.
Remove from heat and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What Is The Tastiest Way To Cook Steak
There are many ways to cook steak, but some people say the best way to do it is by cooking it over a direct fire. others say that grilling is the best way to cook steak, as it produces a more intense flavor. Theres no wrong way to cook steak, just find one that sounds good to you and stick with it!
Also Check: How Much Does A Steak N Shake Franchise Cost
Can I Use Other Cuts
Pan-searing a steak also works on cuts that are less than one inch thick, but just know the cooking time will be much faster.
To cook thinner cuts of steak effectively, have a digital thermometer on hand, so you don’t run the risk of overcooking it.
Bone-in steaks aren’t ideal for pan-searing. To avoid uneven cooking, use your oven or grill for cooking bone-in steaks.
One thing that doesn’t change no matter the cut is that you must let your steak get to room temperature before cooking it.
If the steak has been sitting in the fridge, let rest for at least 20 to 30 minutes. By cooking it at room temperature, you will allow it to cook evenly.
Cube Steak In Your Diet
As beef is a red meat, the American Heart Association recommends monitoring your intake due to the amount of saturated fat red meat contains. Saturated fat is known to raise your cholesterol and can worsen heart disease. The good news is, cube steak is generally made with lean cuts of beef, and you can drain fat off after cooking.
According to the USDA FoodData Central, a 3-ounce portion of cubed steak contains 196 calories, 28 grams of protein and 9 grams of fat, even when the fat has been trimmed prior to cooking. This does not include the calories or fat associated with breading and frying cube steak as in a chicken fried steak recipe.
Though a cube steak every once in a while will not hurt you, it is better to choose lean proteins like chicken and fish or those that come from plant sources.
Also Check: Steak Restaurants In St Louis
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Flat Iron Steak
It can take 5 minutes to 3 hours to cook flat iron steak. It depends on the steak cooking method, size, and other factors.
Here are the cooking times for grilling, pan frying, and broiling:
- Rare steak: 3-5 minutes
- Well done, steak: 11+ minutes.
Here are the cooking times for sous vide:
- Rare steak: 1 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Medium-rare steak: 1 to 3 hours.
- Medium steak: 1 to 3 hours.
- Medium-well steak: 1 to 3 hours.
- Well done, steak: 1 to 3 hours.
Here are the cooking times for reverse searing:
- Rare steak: 18 to 23 minutes.
- Medium-rare steak: 23 to 28 minutes.
- Medium steak: 28 to 33 minutes.
- Medium-well steak: 33 to 38 minutes.
- Well done, steak: 38 to 43 minutes.
How To Sear A Steak
The way a steak is prepared makes all the difference in the flavor and tenderness of the meat.After making thousands of steaks at home, here are my top tips for a pan seared steak that is caramelized on the outside, and juicy in the middle. Searing steak is so easy to do, I never order it at restaurants anymore!
We make a lot of steak in our house, as we usually eat some kind of steak every single day and have done so for years. Ribeyes and NY strips are my favorites, but since I like to follow the sale patterns at the grocery store, I have learned to cook and enjoy all cuts of beef.
Until three years ago, I lived in the Northeast, which made grilling a nonstarter for much of the year. My beloved Grilled Ribeye, Grilled Flank Steak, and other grilled meats were only enjoyed during the summer months, so I learned how to make steak indoors and how to do it well. Searing steak on the stove is a fantastic method so long as you follow the guidance below, and the best part is you can make pan seared steak any time of year.
If you happen to have any leftovers, you can also slice the meat cold and use it for Steak Salad. Its hearty and delicious!
This post was originally published in January 2011, and since then Ive seen many different methods for pan seared steak on the internet and in cookbooks. I recently experimented with a few of them to see if I liked new methods better. The verdict? I still like this method the best.
You May Like: 12 Oz Ribeye Steak Price
Steak On Stove Ingredients & Supplies
- Steak You can use any kind of boneless steak, about 1-1.5-inch thick. New York strip, ribeye steaks are excellent for this specific method.
- Salt and pepper A good steak doesnt require much. A good sprinkle of salt and pepper is all you need for seasoning.
- Vegetable oil Just a touch of oil promotes a beautiful sear on the steak.
- Stainless steel or well-seasoned cast iron skillet gives the best sear on the steak! Avoid non-stick pans for cooking steak because you wont get a good sear with it. Besides non-stick skillets is not ideal for high-heat cooking.
- A long metal pair of tongs are helpful for flipping the steak without splatter.
- Instant thermometer is a must for cooking a perfect steak. With a reliable thermometer, you dont have to cut the steak to check for doneness, etc.
Can You Pan Fry Eye Of Round Steak
When it comes to cooking steak, there are a variety of methods that can be used to achieve the desired result.
One popular method is pan frying. Pan frying is a quick and easy way to cook steak, and it can be used with a variety of cuts of meat. One type of steak that is well suited for pan frying is eye of round.
This cut of meat is relatively lean, and it has a good amount of marbling which helps to ensure that it remains moist during cooking. When pan frying eye of round steak, it is important to use a preheated skillet and to avoid overcrowding the pan.
The steak should be cooked over medium-high heat until it reaches the desired level of doneness. Once it is cooked, the steak should be allowed to rest for a few minutes before being served. When done correctly, pan frying is an excellent way to cook eye of round steak.
Read Also: What’s A Good Marinade For Steak
How To Cook Steak In The Oven
Broiling steak in the oven gives you grill-like results in the kitchen. Broiling is like grilling turned on its head, with the high heat coming from above the meat instead of below it. Both grilling and broiling are fast and easy. Here’s how to broil in 5 easy steps.
1. Before turning on the broiler, remove thawed steaks from the refrigerator and let them rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Then pat the steaks dry with paper towels and season the meat as you like.
2. Trim excess fat from the meat to avoid grease flare-ups. Make a few vertical cuts along the edges of the steak to keep it from curling under the broiler.
3. Situate the top oven rack to just below the broiler coils. Turn the oven on to broil. Allow it to preheat for 5 minutes.
4. Place steaks on a broiling panor if you don’t have a broiling pan, make one: line a shallow baking sheet with foil and set a flat rack on top of it. But do not use a glass baking pan under the broiler it will break under the high heat.
5. Slide the steaks under the glowing coils. The distance between the top of the steaks and the heat source should be between 3 and 5 inches. If the top rack position is too close to the coils, lower the rack to the second position.
7. If the outside is nicely crusted but the inside is too raw for your liking, turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F and roast until done. Remove and let the meat rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
How To Test Your Steak For Doneness
For the most accurate results, use a meat thermometer to test for doneness:
- Rare — 125 degrees F
- Medium Rare — 130 degrees F
- Medium — 140 degrees F
- Medium Well — 150 degrees F
- Well done — 160 degrees F
You can also use your fist. Admittedly, this method is more art than science, but it will give you a general idea of doneness. First, make your hand into a fist. You’ll notice there’s a fleshy, roughly triangular patch of skin between your folded-up thumb and pointer finger. Touch that flap of skin and compare it to the steak. Here’s the deal:
- Very loose non-fist — Rare
- A grip halfway between loose and tight — Medium
See? Not science. But close enough for grill-work.
Read Also: Where Can I Get Omaha Steak Gift Cards
Difficulties And Solutions When Cooking Round Steaks On The Stove
Round steaks are a tougher cut of meat, so they can be difficult to cook on the stove. If not cooked properly, they can be tough and chewy. There are a few things you can do to ensure that your round steak turns out juicy and delicious.
First, make sure that you use enough oil or butter to coat the pan. This will help to create a barrier between the meat and the pan, preventing the meat from sticking and making it easier to turn.
Second, dont overcook the meat. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness, and remove the steak from the heat as soon as it reaches the desired temperature.
Finally, let the meat rest for a few minutes before cutting into it. This will allow the juices to redistribute, resulting in a juicier, more flavorful steak. With these tips in mind, cooking a delicious round steak on the stove is easy.
How To Cook Marinated Steak On The Stove
Cooking steak is a popular option for many people, but there are a few steps you must take to make it a great dish. Marinating the steak in a rub or sauce provides flavor and helps to keep it juicy. You can also cook the steak on the stove, but be sure to follow these tips to make the process more enjoyable:
1) Preheat your oven to medium-high heat before cooking the steak. This will help ensure that it cooks evenly and doesnt become dry or overcooked.
2) Season your steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder before cooking. The flavors will blend better this way and will give your meat an added boost of flavor.
3) Place the steak in an oven-safe dish or pan and add enough water to cover by at least 1 inch.
Recommended Reading: Steak N Shake Payroll Department