How To Cook Sirloin Steak In The Oven
This section shows how to cook top sirloin steak in the oven, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
What Cut Of Beef Is Sirloin Steak
Sirloin steak comes from a part of the cow thats also known as the sirloin. It sits on the back of the animal toward the rear, right by the tenderloin and behind the short loin, where youll find other popular cuts like the T-bone and porterhouse.
The sirloin area is actually split into two parts, top sirloin and bottom sirloin. The meat from top sirloin is what you probably hear about most. Its more popular because its great for quick cooks, like pan-searing and grilling, remaining tender and flavorful. Bottom sirloin cuts are a bit more muscly, so they work better for long cooks, like roasting or braising.
What Is The Best Rarity Of Steak
Flatiron, top sirloin, and Paleron are the best rare cuts. Most tender medium rare steaks are ribeyes, NY strip steaks, shells, Porterhouse / T-bones, Tritip, Flank steak, Sirloin flap, Filet mignon, Hanger steak, Chuck eye / chuck steak, and hanger steak. Skirt steak, chuck short rib, and chuck flap are the best medium-rare options.
Read Also: Best Frying Pan To Cook Steak
Tips For Grilled Sirloin Steak
Nothing says Texas like beef on the grill! Here are some pointers on the best way to cook sirloin steak.
Always Remember To Check The Temperature
Although professional chefs might use the old palm-of-the-hand trick to determine whether a sirloin steak is cooked to medium-rare or medium, its best to rely on the accuracy of a digital thermometer. If youd like, you can use an oven-safe thermometer, which stays inserted in the steak throughout the cooking process. Or, use a simple meat thermometer to check the temperature after removing the steak from the oven and again after it rests.
You May Like: Omaha Steaks Gourmet Hot Dogs
Ways To Cook Sirloin Steak
Like many cuts of beef, sirloin steak works well with various cooking methods. Grill it, sear it, pop it in the oven just about any cook will do. Still, its good to familiarize yourself with a few key points about each cooking method with sirloin steak for the best results.
Before getting started with any of the following cooking methods, be sure to pull your steak from the refrigerator 45 minutes before youre ready to cook it. Salt the steak generously on all sides and let it sit at room temperature. This process creates a brine that keeps the outside of the steak crisp when seared and the inside juicy and tender.
Tips For The Best Steak
- Oftentimes, butchers label both sirloin tip and top sirloin the same way sirloin. Be sure to ask for the specific cut you want before buying!
- Slice thinly against the grain to avoid chewy steaks.
- While this recipe doesnt call for it, you can marinate the steaks before cooking to tenderize and give them flavor. A simple blend of balsamic vinegar and soy sauce does the trick.
- Bring the meat to room temperature before grilling to avoid overcooking the exterior.
- Let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before serving. Cooking causes the fats in the beef to melt into liquid. Letting it rest gives it time to reabsorb and redistribute the juices throughout the meat.
If you cut it right away, the juices will just ooze out of the meat, leaving the steak tough and dry.
That said, you also dont want to touch, press on, or poke the meat as its resting!
Read Also: T Bone Steak Price Per Pound
How To Rest A Steak
A cooked steak should rest at room temperature for at least five minutes and ideally around half the cooking time it will stay warm for anything up to 10 minutes. Here, pure science comes into play the fibres of the meat will reabsorb the free-running juices, resulting in a moist and tender steak. Any resting juices should be poured over the steak before serving.
Sirloin Steak With Garlic Butter
This sirloin steak is seared to golden brown perfection, then topped with garlic and herb butter. A simple, yet totally satisfying way to enjoy steak thats easy enough for an everyday meal, yet elegant enough for company.
Sirloin steak is one of my favorite cuts of meat. Its relatively inexpensive, flavorful, tender and readily available at most grocery stores. My favorite way to enjoy this cut of meat is with a simple pan sear, and a dollop of garlic butter on top.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Beef Steak
Reverse Sear Method For Sirloin Steak
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Season steak with extra salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place steak on a baking tray and put in the oven. Roast for 45-60 minutes, depending on your desired doneness level .
- Preheat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with one tablespoon of butter.
- Add steaks to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes, spooning butter over the steaks continuously.
- Rest on a foil-tented plate for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips For The Best Way To Cook Sirloin Steak
There are a few essential things to remember when learning the best way to cook sirloin steak. Lets start with the basics:
- To prepare your sirloin for cooking, remove it from the fridge about an hour before you want to prepare it. Doing this will bring it up to room temperature and help it to cook more evenly. If you try to make a steak when its still cold, itll likely still be raw in the middle even when the outside is well done.
- The best method for seasoning a steak is to dry the surface with a paper towel and generously cover all sides with your preferred spices. Then gently massage everything into the meat. Even just a quick, twenty-second rub down makes a huge difference in how much flavor is absorbed by the beef.
- Be patient. Always, always, always rest your sirloin steaks after cooking. Just let them sit for five minutes before digging in. As they rest, the juices are reabsorbed into the muscle fibers ensuring every bite is juicy and delicious.
- Theres a right way to slice a sirloin! To ensure every bite is melt in your mouth delicious, take a peek at the surface of your steak and look for the small lines. Those are the muscle fibers. When cutting, run your knife perpendicular.
Also Check: Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon Review
What Ingredients Do I Need To Cook A Sirloin Steak
A sirloin steak is one of those dishes which neither demands much effort nor much involvement of money, yet they are tasty as anything else. The ingredients this recipe requires are as follows:
- 2 sirloin steaks
Except for the steak part, all the other ingredients are used in daily life routine and will undoubtedly be residing in your pantry.
Tips For The Perfect Steak
- You can sear your steak in a pan on the stove, or use an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan. If youre using a grill, add the butter after you remove the steak from the grill so it doesnt drip off into the grates.
- The garlic butter can be prepared up to 2 days before you plan to use it. Store the butter in the fridge, and let it sit at room temperature to soften about 15-20 minutes before you plan to use it.
- Be sure to slice your meat against the grain for the most tender results.
- For even more flavor, pair this recipe with a marinade. Marinate the meat for up to 24 hours, then cook as directed and add the butter on top.
- Serve your steak with a variety of sides such as mashed potatoes, rice, or a roasted vegetable such as asparagus or green beans.
Also Check: Steak And Lobster Gift Baskets
Cooking Sirloin On Stove & In Oven
What if you steak is thicker than 2 inches or you have more than 2 people to feed? Then stove & oven method is the one to go for. If you choose this technique to cook your sirloin steak, you will find yourself quickly searing the steaks surface on the stove and then placing it in the oven, usually at a lower temperature, for a certain amount of time . The point of this technique is to avoid burning your sirloin while drying it out on the surface and undercooking it on the inside thats exactly what a gentle oven heat is for. All it does is gradually increase the steaks temperature, so it maintains its flavor and juiciness. This technique is great for sirloin roasts as well, because a roast is nothing but a massive steak.
Dont Miss: Pee Dee Steak House On 125
How To Cook Top Sirloin Filet Steaks
Learn what a Sirloin filet steak is, how it differs from a top sirloin steak, and what the best way to cook it is. Both an oven method and sous vide method await you.
Disclaimer: Some of the links you will find below are affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Cookies will be used to track the affiliate links you click.
In my quest to master the world of steaks and all the different cuts, I am always keep my eyes peeled for cuts that I have not talked about on this blog before.
A last night journey into my local Meijer store, I spotted the Top Sirloin Filet steak. The package came with two steaks on sale for $4.99/pound – in 2014, not 2022 :). I snatched those puppies up and toss them in the freezer until I was ready to use them.
In our house I like to save the steaks dinner for later in the evening when the kids are in bed and my wife and I can just enjoy without interruption. Trying to perfectly cook a steak with screaming kids all around you is one of life’s great challenges!
Read Also: Where To Get Omaha Steak Gift Cards
What Is A Sirloin Filet Steak
Most people are familiar with the Top Sirloin – a long, tasty steak, that can be found at most steakhouses. It’s one of my favorite steaks to toss under the broiler.
Sirloin comes from the Short Loin of the cow, which is located toward the middle of the cow’s back. It’s the part of the cow where we get tenderloins, ribeyes, porterhouses, and t-bones.
The Top Sirloin Filet steak is a cut of the leanest, most tender part of the top sirloin.
The average steak weighs about ½ a pound or so.
How Long To Cook Steak In The Oven At 400
After a quick sear on the stove, youll let the steak finish in the oven at 400 degrees F . A probe thermometer to test internal temperature is the best way to know for sure, but use this oven steak time chart as an estimate.
Note: Steak temperature will increase by an additional 5 degrees when resting.
Don’t Miss: Steak N Lobster New York
How To Serve Top Sirloin
Here are a few way to serve our top sirloin steak recipe .
- Serve with our chimichurri for the ultimate steak dinner.
- Thinly slice and serve over rice with our salsa verde and some thinly sliced radishes and fresh cilantro.
- Use grilled top sirloin in place of flank steak in our Steak Tacos .
- Top with a slice or two of compound butter.
Best Oil For Pan Searing Steak
You want to avoid searing your steak in extra virgin olive oil or butter. To achieve the perfect sear your pan needs to get HOT. Extra virgin olive oil and butter have a lower smoke point than canola, peanut, or vegetable oils.
If you attempt to use extra virgin olive oil or butter they will burn long before your pan even gets hot enough. Not only will you ruin the flavor of the olive oil, butter, and steak, youll fill your kitchen with smoke. So make sure you use an oil that can withstand high heat such as canola, vegetable, or peanut oils.
Recommended Reading: Grass Fed Steak Vs Grain Fed
Preparing To Cook Top Sirloin Steak
Perfectly Grilled Top Sirloin Steak
Can become a delicious meal for you and your family. It is one of the most popular cuts of meat for grilling. Grilling a steak can seem daunting, but its easy to do once you know what to look for.
Top sirloin steak or sirloin are also frequently referred to as filet mignon. Despite its fancy name, filet mignon is a very affordable cut of beef, especially if you negotiate a little with the butcher. This cut is tender and has wonderful beefy flavor.
Sirloin is from the back of the cow, and it is not the top cut or the bottom cut. It is in between. The top sirloin steak is just that, the top sirloin cut. It is relatively tender and flavorful when compared to the bottom sirloin steak, which tends to be hard and chewy.
Before cooking, the sirloin must be trimmed. Cut any silver skin, connective tissue, and excess fat away. Trim the ends before cooking, or they can get too tough.
You May Like: Omaha Steak Deals With Free Shipping
Sirloin Steak Flavor Variations
This steak is delicious as-is, but you can add other sauces and flavorings to customize the recipe to your tastes.
- Mushrooms: Cook 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms in 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and serve them over your steak.
- BBQ Sauce: Brush homemade or store bought BBQ sauce over your cooked steak instead of using the garlic butter.
- Cajun: Mix 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic and 2 teaspoons chopped parsley into the softened butter.
- Mexican: Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon lime zest and 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro leaves with the butter.