Our Favorite Beef Rubs:
All purpose rubs
1. The Dalmatian This is a classic. It will tenderize the meat and bring out its natural flavor. We like using kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. DIY 8:3:1:1 Weve talked about this 8:3:1:1 rub before. It is one of our favorites because you can use almost any ingredient in your spice cabinet and your meat will turn out great. One of our favorite combinations is 8 Tbsp light brown sugar, 3 Tbsp kosher salt, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/2 tsp onion powder.
3. All-purpose Dry Rub Mix 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp paprika, ¼ cup brown sugar.
Steak and Hamburger Rubs
4. Basic All-Purpose Steak Seasoning Mix 2 Tbsp kosher salt, 2 Tbsp garlic powder, 1 Tbsp onion powder, and 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper.
5. Sweet & Spicy Hamburger Rub Mix 3 Tbsp paprika, 1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper, 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar, 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
6. Cocoa Rub Mix 2 tsp cocoa, 1 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp garlic powder, 1 Tbsp onion powder, 1 Tbsp ground cumin, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp ground black pepper.
7. Carolina BBQ Rub Mix 2 Tbsp salt, 2 Tbsp sugar, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 Tbsp ground cumin, 2 Tbsp chili powder, 2 Tbsp ground black pepper, 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 cup paprika.
Roast & Brisket Rub
Take Your Steak To The Next Level With This Pre
A good quality steak doesnt need much more than a sprinkling of salt and pepper for seasoning. But if you want to take it to the next level and give your steak that extra punch of flavor, this all-purpose rub will do it.
I bring a zip-top bag of it with me whenever we go camping and plan on grilling steaks at our campsite. It smells so good, Ive had other campers walk over and ask what Im grilling!
How To Apply A Dry Rub To Steak
This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Hannah Madden. Hannah Madden is a writer, editor, and artist currently living in Portland, Oregon. In 2018, she graduated from Portland State University with a B.S. in Environmental Studies. Hannah enjoys writing articles about conservation, sustainability, and eco-friendly products. When she isnt writing, you can find Hannah working on hand embroidery projects and listening to music.The wikiHow Video Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 260,301 times.Learn more…
A dry rub is a combination of salt, pepper, sugar, herbs and spices used to flavor meat. Unlike a marinade, the dry rub will form a tasty crust on the exterior of the meat when grilled. If you have a recipe for a dry rub or youve made your own, apply it to your steaks by choosing thick cuts of meat and gently rubbing the spices into the steaks by hand to create a tasty meal for your friends and family to enjoy.
Don’t Miss: Steak Restaurants Near My Location
Carne Asada Steak Seasoning
Want your steak to taste like the filling of your favorite taco? Marinate it in this flavorful marinade! Plan to cook this steak in a cast-iron skillet.
Whisk together two tablespoons chili powder with a tablespoon ground ancho chile, two teaspoons each ground cumin and Mexican oregano, a teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper. Then add two cloves of crushed garlic, the juice of one lime and a quarter cup of minced cilantro. Let your steaks marinade for two hours in the refrigerator.
Use On Beef The Night Before You Are Going To Cook
After you prepare your beef, lay it on a flat surface. Then, take the spice rub and lightly sprinkle it over the meat. Using your hand, mostly the fingers, rub and massage the rub into the entire surface of the meat. Next, flip the steak and repeat the process.
Try to apply the rub as evenly as possible, and it will taste even better. Once it is seasoned, wrap the beef in plastic wrap or a Ziploc bag and put it in the fridge. Most beef should be in there for no more than 24 hours. The longer it is sitting, the deeper the flavors will travel in the beef.
Read Also: Where To Get Wagyu Steak
How Long Can You Store This Seasoning Recipe For Steak
My family loves steak so I like to keep this seasoning recipe for steak on hand at all times. I usually make a double batch and store it in my spice drawer.
As long as you keep it stored in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place, you should be able to store this steak rub for several months. I would recommend using fresh seasonings to make the spice rub, though. Using old spices will not give the best flavor.
What Makes A Great Steak Rub How Do You Make Steak Flavorful
We Need the basic all good components for a perfect homemade steak:
These steaks are flavorful and delicious! I do recommend a steak that has a slightly higher fat content.
Of course, Ribeyes are awesome, but a breakfast steak cut would work for this as well. For this rub, avoid the sirloins and other low fat content steaks.
Also Check: Whats A Good Seasoning For Steak
Baste With A Sprig Of Rosemary
This is one of those tricks that takes minimal effort but works exceptionally well. Place a sprig of rosemary in the pan with your steak. After the flip, use your tongs to grab the rosemary and mop up the pan juices. Brush it over the steak to infuse each bite with flavorful rosemary oil. By the way, heres how to cook medium-rare steak the right way.
Craving More Steak Recipes
- Steak Fajitas | Here is a homemade fajita recipe that uses juicy steak, tons of flavor and wrapped in warm tortillas.
- Asparagus Steak Oscar Recipe | Surf and turf at its finest, this recipe is loaded with incredible flavor.
- Slow Cooker Pepper Steak | Here you have a slow cooker recipe that is steak, peppers, and served over a bed of rice.
- 2-4 Steaks
Also Check: Coltons Steak House And Grill
Recipes To Try It With Bbq Rub
My BBQ rub recipe pairs deliciously with just about everything you can think of. Here are a few of my best steak recipes to enjoy it with:
- Perfect Reverse Sear Ribeye Steak
- Grilled Chuck Steak with Compound Garlic Butter
- Portuguese Beef Skewers
- Easy Steak Peppers and Onions Foil Packets
You will also love this BBQ dry rub with other meats on the grill and even with vegetables. Try these:
- Best Grilled Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Pork Ribs with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Easy Foil Pack Potatoes on the Grill or Oven
- Shrimp Foil Pack
Complement Your Meats With The Right Seasoning
Seasonings are incredibly easy to make yourself. You just need to know what kinds of herbs and spices pair best with your meat of choice. For example, warmer and lighter herbs and spices like rosemary, sage, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice pair well with the natural sweetness of pork. When seasoning chicken, you can hardly go wrong with any herb or spice since the chicken has such a mild flavor. You can try anything from bay leaves to thyme or basil to curry powder. Bright herbs such as dill, chives, parsley, and marjoram go really well with fish. You also can’t go wrong when breading fish with cornmeal and a little cayenne. Beef needs more robust herbs and spices such as cumin, oregano, cayenne, or chili powder in order to stand up against its intense meaty flavor. Those same robust herbs and spices will also complement most varieties of game meats well.
Today well be focusing on how to season steak for grilling. Although you can never go wrong with just salt and pepper, there are so many other more exciting ways to season your steak. Forgo the preblended bottles in the grocery store, and take full control of your flavors by mixing up your very own homemade steak seasoning.
Recommended Reading: Best Way To Order Steak
Spicy Tomahawk Steak Rub
This is a delicious, spicy tomahawk steak rub. While this rub is for larger steaks, this rub is perfect for any cut of beef. The small amount of brown sugar brings a touch of sweetness and helps to caramelize the surface of the meat under intense heat. Serve with grilled onions for a hearty dinner.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Coffee: coffee + steak just go together! There is something about that bitter coffee flavor that pairs so well with a grilled steak!
- Chili Powder: then add in the combo of chili powder + coffee and it is just magic!
- Lots or a little: I have tried this recipe using a little rub and a lot of rub its awesome both ways! So if you just want a little extra flavor, go light with the rub. If you want to really taste that coffee + chili flavor then add a little extra and really get it into every nook and cranny.
You May Like: How To Cook Steak On Indoor Grill
Great On Other Proteins Too
Bonus, The Best Steak Seasoning Recipe is great on chicken wings, pork, even fish. Use it for all your grilled proteins this season!
Feel free to experiment with this and let me know how it turns out in the comments below! Id love to hear how this recipe is being used.
How Many Steaks Can You Season With This Recipe
2-4 steaks depending on the size are what you will get out of this dry rub steak recipe.
I cooked up 2 large ribeye steaks and I used all the dry rub on the steaks.
While it looks like a lot of rub mix, you really want to pack on the mixture, pressing it into the meat. It adds an insane flavor to the steak.
So every bite tastes better than ordering from your favorite restaurant.
Store In An Airtight Jar
If you store your rub mix in an airtight jar, the seasonings will keep their flavor longer, allowing you to use them on a later date. If you used fresh herbs and spices, or recently dried herbs and spices, and then stored the rub right away, they can even stay good for up to a year.
Start to check the rub six months after storing it to know if it still has a fresh smell and taste. Also, make sure to date the jar when you store it so you know how much longer until you can use it.
Did those ingredients make your mouth water at the thought of eating a piece of juicy beef with this rub? This certainly helped me with how I should have been mixing and apply my dry rubs. Just following those three simple steps are enough to help your beef taste that much better. You can use this dry rub recipe for beef ribs, as a steak rub, bbq rub, any other beef recipes or maybe even as a pork chopsspice rub, but this is something that should definitely be in your spice cabinet and on your brisket rub recipes list.
If you liked the article and know someone who could use a new beef rub recipe and these tips, feel free to share it. If you tried the recipe or want to share your thoughts on anything mentioned, feel free to leave a comment for us.
How To Use Steak Rub
Learning how to use dry rubs is a great skill to learn for anyone who loves to BBQ. This rub is fantastic on a steak, but dont stop there. You can use this on burgers, ribs, or in a meatloaf. Ive even tossed chicken wings in this mixture and they were delicious.
This is a dry rub, not a dry brine. The purpose is to flavor the outside of the meat.
Read Also: Zwilling Gourmet 6 Pc Steak Knife Set
How To Make Steak Rub
- Adjust the spice levels: You can use more or less crushed red pepper to adjust the spice level of your seasoning for beef.
- Adjust the sweetness: Use more or less brown sugar to make the steak seasoning a little sweeter or less sweet if you prefer.
- Add more garlic: If you really love garlic , adjust to use more garlic powder for an extra garlicky flavor.
How Do You Apply A Marinade For Steak
First, make and choose a marinade recipe . We recommend making ¼ to ½ cup of marinade for each one to two pounds of beef.
Then place the marinade in a sealed plastic bag or glass container so that the beef can sit in the liquid. We like to use one gallon Ziploc bags since it makes it easy to periodically flip the beef so that the marinade works evenly. We dont recommend a metal container since the acidic ingredients can react with the metal.
Lastly, make sure to place the container in the refrigerator as the beef marinates. Never marinate beef at room temperature.
As a side note, contrary to popular belief, beef doesnt absorb the marinade flavor throughout the cut of beef. Rather, the flavor stays on the surface of the meat and thats the punch of flavor that you taste with your tongue.
Don’t Miss: Kansas City Steaks Potatoes Au Gratin
What’s In This Spice Blend
Heres whats in this blend:
- Smoked paprika, for a little bit of smoke.
- Dark brown sugar, for a hint of sweetness and molasses.
- Onion and garlic powder, for some aromatic notes.
- Oregano, for a touch of herbal greenness.
- Cumin, for a little earthiness.
- Cayenne, which brings a slight heat but not enough to light your tongue on fire.
Easy Steak Marinade Recipes
If youre new to steak marinades and want something easy to start with, get a bottle of your favorite vinegar salad dressing, add ½ teaspoon salt, and dilute with a little water. Marinate your meat and then put it on the grill. Youll be impressed.
Here are a few simple recipes to try. The instructions for all of these recipes are the same. After mixing all the ingredients well, add steaks and marinade to a ziploc bag. Toss the steaks a few times to coat. Press the excess air out, seal the bag and refrigerate for 15 minutes to 2 hours. Remove steaks from the bag and discard marinade . Grill steaks.
Ginger Soy Marinade: cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel. Mix well.
Easy 4 Ingredient Steak Marinade: ½ cup Italian dressing, ¼ cup lime juice, 1 tbsp honey, 1 ½ tsp ground cumin. Mix Well.
All Purpose Steak Marinade Recipe : ½ cup olive oil, ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp onion powder. Mix well.
All-Purpose Steak Marinade Recipe : ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce, ¼ cup soy sauce, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 garlic cloves minced, 2 tsp honey, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Also Check: Gordon Ramsay Steak Kc Menu Prices
How To Grill Steak:
-Get the highest quality meat that you can afford- it will make all the difference. Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, N.Y. Strip, & Ribeye are all perfect for grilling. Visit here for a complete list of options!
-Contrary to popular belief, its best not to oil your grill grates before grilling. These guys can tell you why.
Hot & Fast is the best way to cook a steak on the grill, so dont be afraid to turn up that heat. This goes for all cooking levels, from rare to well done.
-Cook the steak for 4-5 minutes on the first side, then flip. It should be brown and charred. Then follow the cooking times below depending on how you like it cooked:
- Rare: 5
- Well Done: 10
Expert Tips For Making The Best
- Use fresh spices and seasonings: Dont use old spices to make this spice blend. It will not have the flavor that fresh spices and seasonings will.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe to double. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately.
- This Recipe Can be Halved: If youre cooking for a smaller family, you can easily reduce the ingredient measurements proportionately.
- Store Excess in an Air-Tight Jar:These for storing my homemade seasoning blends.
Also Check: Omaha Steaks Advertised On Tv
How Long Do You Leave Dry Rub On Steak
You can leave rub on a steak for as little as 30-40 minutes or as long as overnight. Leaving it on overnight will really allow those flavors to soak into the steak. If you are leaving it on overnight simply place the steak in a airtight container and leave in the fridge overnight.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!