What Goes In Beef Steak Marinade
Heres what you need for the Steak Marinade. Use this marinade for any economical steak do not use for expensive steaks, that would be a waste!!
Heres why this combination of ingredients makes your steak plump, juicy and adds flavour:
Balsamic vinegar the tenderising ingredient, because its acidic
Soy sauce the salty liquid to act as the brine so the steak retains moisture. It does not make this steak taste Asiany, we only use a bit!
Dijon Mustard a touch of flavour and to thicken the marinade slightly so it coats the steak better
Flavour all the other ingredients! Worcestershire is pretty intense in flavour so you only need a bit to add savoury flavour into things.
How To Make Your Own Marinade
Westend61 / Getty Images
Looking for a cheap way to marinate meats? Then, cruise right past the bottled marinades at the store, and make your own instead. Sure, you probably know that the enzymes in marinades break down fibers and tenderize meats. They also enhance the flavor of meats. But that doesn’t mean you have to pay high grocery store prices for marinades. Your homemade marinade will serve these two functions just as well as commercial varieties, and you’ll save money. Here’s what you can do to make your own marinade.
How To Cook Marinated Steak: The Ultimate Guide
Heres how to cook marinated steak. Its precisely the same cooking process as with any other steak. First, you need to pat the steak dry before searing. Itll allow the steak to form a nice golden brown crust on the exterior. While steak is marinating, it soaks in liquid. The steak will boil if the liquid is not removed from the surface. Once the steak is dry, cook it on a scorching hot pan to form a crust. After a few minutes, turn the heat down and continue cooking to your liking.
As a chef, I believe the less is more, meaning I do not like to overseason my dishes. Beefsteak is excellent and flavorsome as it is. I only suggest steak marinade for tougher cuts of steak like flank or skirt steak. A tough marinated steak like skirt steak will become more tender and juicy when marinated.
In this article, Ill teach you how to cook marinated steak on a grill in the oven and on a stovetop. Youll also learn how to check steaks internal temperature and how to buy a good cut of meat for marinating.
Recommended Reading: Snook’s Sweet Potato Steak Fries
Rosemary Garlic Ribeye Steak Recipe
Aromatic and glistening with butter, there is nothing quite as impressive or delicious as a perfectly cooked ribeye steak. Between the tender marbling and mouthwatering garlic rosemary flavors, this ultimate protein is going to be the star of the show. You will love the way this flavorful steak melts in your mouth! Just 5 simple ingredients enhance this amazing ribeye to rival anything you can get from a steakhouse! Yeah, I said it!
I will walk you step-by-step through the process of creating the most wonderful steak at home- from picking out your meat to searing it up in your pan! As intimidating as it sounds, making a buttery-soft steak in your kitchen is actually quite easy! Most importantly, only a few minutes of prep and cooking are needed. Simplicity is key here- no fancy ingredients or cooking techniques are required!
How Long Should I Marinate Meat
Based on the type of marinade you’re using and the kind of meat, your food could marinate for 30 minutes or overnight. Beef and lamb are always up for a long, leisurely soak, but delicate meats like seafood and skinless chicken only need a minimal soak. Be careful not to over-marinate your food since the acid in the marinade can cause the food to become too tough or too mushy.
- Seafood – 15 to 30 minutes
- Boneless chicken breasts – 2 hours
- Pork loin – 4 hours
- Lamb – 4 to 8 hours
- Beef– 24 hours or more
Remember, the goal is flavor. So even if your meat might get the most from several hours in a marinade, it will still get flavor benefits from a shorter soak. Marinating for 12 hours or more does cut cooking time by about 1/3, so keep an eye on the grill.
Read Also: Omaha Steaks Door To Door
What Is The Difference Between Prime Choice And Select Beef Steak
- Prime beef comes from young cattle. It has a generous amount of marbling , this is the best and most expensive grade of beef.
- Choice beef steaks are high quality and are more budget friendly than prime, they just dont have quite as much marbling.
- Select beef steak is the lowest grade and the most budget friendly. Meat is leaner and not quite as tender.
Another Option: Dry Rub
A dry rub is sometimes the better option for steaks that need some extra oomph in terms of flavor. A dry rub is a mix of herbs and spices that you rub into the outer part of the meat. Dry rubs add a lot of flavor to a steak.
More importantly, they create a crust on the outer part of the steak that a marinade simply cant do. A marinade can leave steaks watery and unseared, but a dry rubs protective crust crisps up during cooking to create a nice sear. Plus, the browned crust helps hold the steaks natural juices in, allowing the steak to stay as tender as possible during the cooking process.
While rubs are usually saved for large pieces of meat going on the grill or in a smoker, they absolutely can work with steaks. Mix the ingredients together and, after patting the steaks dry, press the rub into the steak on all sides with your fingers.
Also Check: Zwilling Twin Gourmet Steak Knives
What Exactly Does Marinating Do
The process of marinating any kind of meat, simply put, brings a steaks flavor to the best possible outcome. But what does marinating actually do? The proper steak marinade not only tenderizes the meat, but it also adds a punch of soft flavoring to really bring out the steaks quality. You can marinade any cut of meat. Marinades are made from enzyme or acidic components like lemon juice, wine, vinegar, or any combination of all three. These acids work to change the consistency of the meat making it much more tender. To flavor the meat, most marinades have bold flavors and contain salt and herbs. And the best part of all? Steak marinades create that caramelization that we all adore so much. Steak University has you covered when it comes to your cut of meat all you have to do is prep the right marinade.
The Perfect Steak Temperatures For Your Taste Pro Tips
The most sure-fire way to gauge when your steak is done is by using a digital thermometer. This way, you will know for sure that your steak is cooked to your fancy, and if you are entertaining guests, it means you wont mess things up. You insert your thermometer into the thickest part of the steak to check its level of doneness. Our first pro tip dont cook our steaks over 150 degrees F, or your cut may come out feeling dry and tough. Also, please remember to let your steaks rest! This is so important for keeping flavor and maintaining tenderness. Let your steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into them. Here are a few tips to ensure your steak is done at the right temperature:
- Rare: Should have an internal temp of 130 degrees F
- Medium Rare: Should have an internal temp of 135 degrees F
- Medium: Should have an internal temp of 145 degrees F
- Medium Well: Should have an internal temp of 150 degrees F
- Well Done: Should have an internal temp of 160 degrees F
Remember, not all steaks are created equal. At Steak University, we suggest that you keep your steaks below medium well in order to have the most tender and juicy cuts of meat.
Also Check: How To Cook Medium Rare Steak
Why Youll Love This
- Our pork steak marinade recipe needs just 5 minutes to put together, then its ready for your favorite cut of pork shoulder steak.
- Seasoned with both pork dry rub and BBQ sauce, our pork shoulder steak marindate packs a powerhouse of flavor and infuses every bite or your pork steak.
- Sticking to your healthy eating plan is easy with our pork marindade which is compliant with gluten-free, low-carb, keto, and paleo lifestyles.
- We love making our pork steak marinade with homemade pork rub, but you can opt for a storebought variety as well.
We are loving pork steak in our kitchen and keep coming up with additional ways to cook, serve, and enjoy this tasty dish! Be sure to check out our other pork steak recipes including smothered pork steak in a pan, BBQ pork steak in air fryer, and baked pork steak in the oven.
Get The Complete Carne Asada Tampiquea Recipe Below Enjoy
When you are ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium-high heat, around 400°F. Set a grill basket on one side of the grill for the peppers and onions.
Pro Tip: If you do not have a grill basket place a piece of foil on the grill for the vegetables.
Once the grill is hot, place the vegetables in the grill basket. Then place the steak on the grill. Grill the steak for 2 minutes per side, formedium rare.
Remove the steak and flip the vegetables over, cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes until they are softened.
If you choose not to slice the steak ahead of time, restaurant style, cut it into strips after grilling.
This recipe makes 2 extra-large servings, 4 large servings, or 6 average-size servings.
Read Also: Ramseys Steak And Grill Delivery
What People Are Saying About The Best Quick Steak Marinade
Absolutely loved it.. its in my written recipe book now and on high rotation. Just takes STEAK to a WHOLE new level. Highly recommend. Caroline
This was fantastic. I dont think Ive ever gotten that much flavor and tenderness after marinating for only about 30-40 minutes. Lauren
I tried this last night and it was phenomenal. Was out of balsamic so had to use apple cider vinegar with a little sugar mixed in as a sub. Otherwise followed the recipe precisely. Marinated for ABOUT an hour. Thanks for the recipe. Christina
Used this marinade for Denver steaks and it was DELICIOUS! Me and my husband loved it, thank you! Marina
Tips For Steak Marinade
- This marinade will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, so its great to make in advance if youre entertaining. You can even freeze your marinade for up to 2 months if need be!
- Feel free to use a low sodium soy sauce if youre watching your salt intake.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of dry herbs that is available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is typically a blend of dried basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. If you cant find Italian seasoning, you can blend together your own dried herbs in equal amounts.
- The steak in these photos is topped with an herb butter which is super easy to make. Simply combine 1/4 cup softened butter with 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs, 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add a dollop of butter on top of each steak as it comes off the grill.
- This marinade works well with most cuts of beef, I recommend using it on flank steak, New York strip, ribeye, sirloin or filet mignon.
Read Also: Do Omaha Steaks Gift Cards Expire
What Is A Steak Marinade Recipe Made Of
A steak marinade recipe usually has four basic components:
- Salt Kosher salt, sea salt, or something salty like soy sauce or Worcestershire.
- Oil Because beef is naturally saturated with water, beef wont absorb the oil in the marinade. However, since herbs and spices are oil-soluble, they require the oil to release their full flavor.
- Flavoring Spices and herbs are your friends and theyll add a punch of flavor to any marinade.
- Acid Depending on the desired flavor, many marinades have an acidic liquid like lemon juice or vinegar. The acid helps flavor the beef, but it does not tenderize it.
Tips For The Best Steak Marinade And How To Cook The Perfect Steak
- For this marinade, the steaks need a good three hours to soak in all that goodness. So make sure to get these babies prepped well ahead of time.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature before grilling. Let them sit out for 30 minutes before cooking, this will make sure an even cook on the inside.
- You do not want to throw cold steaks on a hot grill, they just flat-out wont cook evenly. Plus it will save you a few minutes as well.
- Make sure the grill is SUPER hot before placing the steaks on. You want to get a nice sear like the photos here, thats the flavor bomb!
- You need to let the steaks rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting into them. Dont worry, add a pad of butter on each steak , cover with foil and let it rest, it wont get cold!
Read Also: Sam’s Club Strip Steak
Whats The Best Steak Marinade
There are two major components to every marinade that has to be there to be the best. Some form of acid, and some form of sweetness.
The acid tenderizes the meat. Acids include citrus juice or vinegar. Worcestershire sauce has a high level of acid in it, being our tenderizer for this marinade.
The sweetness helps to get that caramelized flavor, or umami, that makes grilled meats extra flavorful. In this recipe for the best steak marinade, I use brown sugar as our sweet component.
However, you can also use honey, granulated sugar, or other natural forms of sweeteners in its place.
Now that we have our two crucial ingredients, acid and sugar, other ingredients in the best steak marinade include seasonings of black pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, and salt, thats it! Super basic ingredients you probably already have in your own kitchen.
How To Tell When Your Steak Is Done
For steaks that are 1.5 or thicker, use a meat thermometer. Start by charring them over High heat then moving them to a section set to low heat to finish cooking.
For thinner steaks, use a timer and cook over high heat.
- Rare: 3 minutes each side
- Medium Rare: 4 minutes each side
- Medium: 5 minutes each side
Recommended Reading: Best Gas Grill For Searing Steaks
Why Air Fryers Are So Amazing
- Healthy: Air Fryers make everything so easy and so much healthier than traditional methods. It can cut the time in half as well as the fat without sacrificing flavor.
- Frozen: Frozen food can be cooked in the fryer, youll just have to adjust the cooking time.
- How It Works: They work by circulating heat all around the food so its practically fool proof.
Tips For Grilling A Perfect Steak
- Preheat the grill so the grates are nice and hot before putting the steaks on.
- Once youve placed the steak on the grates, try to move it as little as possible.
- Only flip your steak once to keep it from sticking to the grates and to cook it evenly on both sides.
- Dont cut into your steak to check for readiness! This will let the juices run out and dry out your steak. Use a thermometer or the hand test .
- Once cooked, allow steak to rest for at least five minutes before cutting into it to preserve the juices and keep it from drying out.
Recommended Reading: How To Grill Perfect Steak Tips
What You Need To Make The Best Ribeye Steak
Really, the most important part of this recipe is finding the perfect cut of meat. From there, it is all about using butter and fresh herbs to enhance its natural flavor and tenderness! I will tell you everything you need to know about picking the perfect ribeye steak in my tips section below. First, lets talk about how simple the ingredients in this recipe are! Measurements for each ingredient can be found in the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
- Ribeye Steak: I like to use ribeye with a lot of marbling. This will ensure that they are soft and tender after being cooked.
- Salt and Pepper: This is the foundation of the steaks flavor. Heavily seasoning both sides of your steak will help flavors infuse once you start cooking.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil adds moisture to your steak. Also, it helps it to cook up perfectly.
- Butter: Butter not only adds amazing flavor and richness to your steak, but keeps it soft and tender.
- Garlic: Garlic will make your ribeye steak have the most perfect savory flavor. To add, garlic pairs really well with rosemary. You will love this flavor combination!
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme: Rosemary adds an earthy, minty flavor while thyme is sharp and peppery. Together, they make a winning aromatic combination.
Why Marinate A Steak
- Tenderize: Marinades contain acidic ingredients like wine, vinegar, lemon juice, or any combination of them. The acids change the consistency of the meat, making it tender.
- Flavor: Marinades usually contain salt, herbs, aromatics, & bold flavors which in turn flavor the meat.
- Caramelize: Marinades help with caramelization to give that nice brown crust we love so much.
Read Also: Larry’s Steaks And Hoagies