What Type Of Beef For Cheesesteak
Ribeye! It may be an expensive choice, but itll give you the BEST flavor and texture. With fat marbled throughout, itll stay nice and juicy any way you cut it.
If you cant do ribeye, look for a cut of beef that is well-marbled and be sure to slice thinly against the grain. Some choices are: Flank Steak, Beef Chuck, Sirloin, etc.
Leftover Prime Rib also makes for a delicious Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich!
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can caramelize the onions and meat 2-3 hours ahead of serving. Simply keep them warm in a crockpot or in a pan over low heat. The meat is thin enough that it will stay tender.
How to Reheat the Steak: Add the desired amount of steak and onions to a small frying pan over low heat and cook until hot. You can also heat in a microwave-safe bowl until hot.
How to Reheat the Sauce: Add the desired amount to a small saucepan and heat over low heat while occasionally stirring until hot.
How to Store: Keep the cooked meat and onions separate from the buns and sauce and cover in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The sauce will keep for up to 5 days covered in the fridge.
How to Freeze: Keep the cooked meat and onions separate from the buns and sauce and cover in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
Tools Needed: You can use a flat top pan or a regular large frying pan. You will also need a metal spatula.
Storage And Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftover filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat single serving portions in a microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through. Serve into a fresh hoagie roll.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious sandwich recipes:
You May Like: Best Seasoning For Ribeye Steak
How To Order & Where To Find A Cheesesteak
Nearly every pizza or sandwich shop on any corner of every Philly neighborhood serves up the casual delicacy. Below are our picks for notable spots dishing authentic cheesesteaks in Center City and beyond, but, first, a lesson on ordering.
Those who crave a cheesesteak must first consider two critical questions: What kind of cheese? Onions or no onions? Those who want Cheez Whiz and onions can ask for a Whiz Wit. Those who want provolone without onions can ask for a Provolone Witout.
Also Check: Weber Steak And Chop Seasoning
Which Is Better Pats Or Genos
The Mushroom Cheesesteak wit onions and cheez whiz is the clear winner between the two rivals. I loved how authentic Pats sandwich tasted. The bread helped soak up the cheese perfectly and the texture was just right. The way the sliced steak is stacked gives it a much better bite than the organized stack at Genos.
You May Like: Laguiole Jean Dubost 6 Piece Steak Knife Block Set
Also Check: Omaha Steaks Delivery Tracking
Joe’s Steaks + Soda Shop
1 West Girard Avenue
Joe’s Steaks + Soda Shop was the first place we hit on the way into Philly, just off I-95, and the first magical meaty bite of this cheesesteak felt like being welcomed home. This location is the second the spot has, with the first being further up in Northeastern Philadelphia. Joe’s is the only place we went to that offered cheesesteaks in two different sizes: a small sandwich said to be six inches and a large ten-inch sandwich. We got the small six-inch sandwich with Cheese Whiz and fried onions, ate the entire thing in less than five minutes, and regretted not getting the larger cheesesteak instead.
Joe’s is the quintessential Philly cheesesteak, with nicely seasoned chopped steak that isn’t too chopped up or too large. They’re generous with the cheese, as we think one should be, and the onions are neatly layered into the sandwich. The meat-to-roll ratio is also satisfying without being overwhelming. You won’t find anything out of the ordinary here, but you will find what we think is the best specimen of a traditional Philly cheesesteak with Whiz. We can’t wait to try some of Joe’s milkshakes and sundaes on our next trip, for the ultimate indulgence.
Philly Cheese Steak Seasoning Recipes
Make and share this Philly Cheese Steaks recipe from Food.com.
Provided by podapo
|1 lb good quality cut steak, cut into thin 2 inch strips|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning|
|3 tablespoons olive oil|
|1/2 onion, sliced thin|
|1 -2 green bell pepper, julienned|
|3/4 cup sliced mushrooms|
|3 ounces swiss cheese, thinly sliced|
|4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise|
- Place the sliced beef in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle over beef and stir to combine.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute beef to desired doneness, and remove from pan, keep warm.
- Meanwhile heat remaining oil in skillet, and saute the onion, green peppers and mushrooms until tender, with green peppers still somewhat crisp.
- Add steak to veggies and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Butter hoagie buns and lay a slice of cheese, over the bottom of each bun.
- Divide steak and veggies over buns, add another slice of divided cheese.
- Lay on foil lined cookie sheet Broil just until cheese melts, remove from broiler, cover with top half of bun.
Don’t Miss: Mcdonalds Bagels Discontinued 2020
The Creation Of The Cheesesteak
Pats King of Steaks® was founded by Pat Olivieri in 1930. Pat had a modest hot-dog stand at the base of the famous Italian Market in South Philadelphia.One day he decided to have something quite different for lunch, so he sent for some chopped meat from the butcher shop. He cooked the meat on his hot dog grill, placed the meat onto an Italian roll, and dressed it with some onions. Just as he went to take a bite, a cab driver who ate a hot dog everyday asked what he had there. Pat said that it was his lunch. The cabbie insisted that Pat make him one.Hey..forget bout those hot dogs, you should sell these. The steak sandwich was born. As the years passed, both employees and customers alike demanded changecheese was added.
Since then, the cheesesteak sandwich has become synonymous with the Philly Cheesesteak. And were proud to be the reason for it. Nearly 90 years later, Pats is still owned and operated by the Olivieri family at our only location in South Philadelphia. Stop by the next time youre in the neighborhood to enjoy an original, classic cheesesteak.
How To Thinly Slice Steak
The trick to a good cheesesteak sandwich is in that THINLY sliced steak. It will almost melt in your mouth.
The easiest way to thinly slice steak is to place the steak in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then use a sharp knife to thinly slice against the grain.
You could also invest in a meat shaver but that might be a little extreme.
Don’t Miss: Mcdonalds Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Recipe
Tips For Making Homemade Philly Cheesesteak
- Ribeye steak should be marinated for at least 6 hours in order to reap the benefits of the tenderizing properties. For the maximum benefit, however, marinate overnight.
- Dont poke holes: In contrast to popular belief, you should NOT poke holes in the steak before marinating. This actually drains out the valuable juices and will result in less juicy steak.
- Always marinate steak for a prolonged period of time covered in the refrigerator and not at room temperature to avoid food-born illness. Only remove it from the fridge to the counter 60 minutes before youre ready to grill to help bring it to room temperature so it cooks evenly.
Creative Ways To Serve Philly Cheesesteak:
If youre craving that beefy cheesy filling and want to skip the bun, there are so many fun ways to serve this mix including some fantastic keto Philly Cheese Steak ideas!
- Over Cooked Pasta or stuffed into Shell Pasta
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Stuffed into Portobello Mushrooms
Read Also: Sam’s Club Philly Cheese Steak
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak
- Step 1 Marinate Steak: Marinating the steak is KEY for the Best Philly Cheese Steak recipe. The marinade is where all the flavor comes from AND it tenderizes the meat. Our marinade consists of a simple mixture of Dijon, balsamic, Worcestershire and seasonings.
- Step 2: Slice Beef Thinly: What makes amazing marinated steak more amazing is slicing it as thinly as possible before you marinate it. You can also ask your butcher to do this for you on their meat slicer or the easiest way to do it yourself is to freeze your steak for 30 minutes or so before slicing it. You can also tenderize and pound your steak even thinner after you slice it if you want to get a little crazy about it. What we do for love.
- Step 3 Saute Veggies: After you saute your steak, onions and peppers .
- Step 4 Add cheese to filling: More magic begins with the addition of a little seasoned mayonnaise , sharp cheddar cheese and pimientos.
- Step 5 Stir: Stir it all together until melted for some creamy cheesy meatiness
- Step 6 Assemble: Now were ready to pile our cheese steak filling into our seasoned mayo slathered buns. And you better pile quickly because I could not stop eating the filling and we havent even added the extra cheese yet!
Can You Freeze Philly Cheesesteak
Yes, you certainly can! You may freeze both the rolls and the Philly cheesesteak meat so youll be all ready for Philly cheesesteak sandwiches!
To freeze Philly cheesesteak:
Also Check: Frozen Steaks Delivered
History Of The Cheesesteak
The original cheesesteak was made by a hot dog cart vendor in the early 20th century. The exact details are hotly contested, but most credit Pat & Harry Olivieri as the original creators. There are two shops in Philly right across the street from each other that are in heavy cheesesteak competition, Pats and Genos. I refuse to pick a side. They are both great!
Do Philly Cheesesteaks Have Sauce
For me, the bottom line is an authentic cheesesteak is devoid of sauce unless you are ordering a pizza steak. And thats generally what youll find at any of the Philadelphia cheesesteak meccas such as Pats or Genos in South Philly or Jims Steaks on South Street, a place Im fond of from my days living off of Two Oct 16, 2018.
Don’t Miss: Mcdonalds Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Calories
What Kind Of Steak To Use For Cheesesteak
You want to use a nice cut of steak that has some marbled fat on it and is really tender. As the thin steak cooks, the fat melts a bit and makes each piece of steak very tender. Personally, I like to use rib eye for mine . Top round is also a classic cheesesteak option. Do not use tougher meat cuts like flank steak or brisket. They will be really chewy in the final sandwich.
How To Make A Philly Cheesesteak
If you cant get to Philadelphia easily to pick up a cheesesteak sandwich, then your next best shot is to make it at home! The layout of the sandwich is simple , but the details are important. Here are a few key things to consider when making your sandwich:
- You want your steak to be thinly sliced. If possible, you can have your butcher shave it for you. At home, you can stick the steak in the freezer for 10 minutes to make it really stiff and then shave it with your sharpest knife. Trim off any large pieces of fat, but some fat is good.
- The original cheesesteak can be ordered with only steak or with steak and onions . Personally, I like onions and bell peppers, so I do both. You can make it your own since you are making it at home!
- The onions and peppers need to cook much longer than the steak so cook them first, separately and then combine everything together with the cheese to finish the dish.
Read Also: Larry’s Steaks Menu Rising Sun
How To Reheat Philly Cheesesteak
The plain meat and vegetables can easily be reheated on the stove or in the microwave. Once you assemble the sandwiches, theyre best enjoyed right away.
- Stove: Heat steak and veggies over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Assemble sandwiches and bake in oven as directed.
- Microwave: Transfer smaller servings of steak and veggies to a microwave-safe dish, cover with a microwave-safe lid or paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then continue to microwave for 15-second intervals, if needed.
Philly Cheesesteak Seasoning Ingredients
Generally, the most basic Philly Cheesesteak ingredients are beefsteak tomato, onion, pepper, and cheese. However, this sandwich has many variations thus, you need to know what kind of meat and toppings you need on your sandwich.
Toppings include mushrooms, bell peppers, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. You also may add other ingredients such as bacon or ham.
To create the perfect Philly Cheesesteak, you must start by getting the right ingredients. Here are some of the ingredients that you use when making your own Philly Cheesesteak:
1. Beefsteak Tomato A beefsteak tomato is used in the Philly Cheesesteak because it contains many flavors. You can find it in the produce section of grocery stores.
2. Salt Salt is added to the sandwich so that it has an excellent taste
3. Vinegar Vinegar is added to the sandwich to help cut down on the fat you consume.
4. Oil Oil is added to the sandwich because it helps keep the bread from drying out.
5. Bread The purpose of bread is to hold all of the ingredients together.
6. Seasoning Seasonings are added to the sandwich before cooking and are best for seasoning the meat to give it a flavorful taste.
Recommended Reading: Did Mcdonald’s Discontinue Egg White Delight
Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread
Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread with just a few simple ingredients is the taste of Philly for a crowd! It comes together in just minutes with major flavor in each bite!
With tender cuts of meat, melty cheese, tangy Worcestershire sauce, and fresh veggies, the flavors of Philly cheesesteaks are irresistible! I like to use these tasty ingredients in things like sloppy joes, stuffed peppers, and even egg rolls for a cheesy twist!
What Cut Of Meat Is Best For Philly Cheese Steak
There are a few important factors to create the Best Philly Cheese Steak recipe starting with the cut of meat. Ribeye is the traditional cut of beef and if we werent marinating the beef, I would highly recommend only that for its fat/marbling which keeps the meat moist and flavorful BUT because we are marinating the beef, feel free to substitute a less pricey cut such as top sirloin or skirt.
You May Like: How Do I Track My Omaha Steaks Order
How To Order A Philly Cheesesteak:
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
How To Order A Philly Cheesesteak
What an exciting time to be a Philly sports fan! With the City of Brotherly Love still riding high off of the Eagles first ever Super Bowl championship and Villanovas national title run, Philadelphia is gearing up for another round of exciting sports action now that the Sixers and Flyers have both clinched playoff berths in their respective leagues.
South Philly is buzzing with competitiveness and with that excitement and the thrill of victory comes an outpouring of Philly faithful who take to the Sports Complex to cheer on their favorite teams.
Theres nothing quite like a South Philly tailgate filled with loyal fans singing Fly Eagles Fly or chanting Lets Go Flyers! And with Sixers standouts Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons stealing the show in the NBA as of late, joining the ranks of local icons such as Carson Wentz , Claude Giroux , and Rhys Hoskins , the star power in Philadelphia sports has never felt so abundant.
A sports town with this much passion and pride deserves the very best. Thats why when it comes to your pregame or postgame meal theres only one choice if youre looking to enjoy the best cheesesteak in PhillyGenos Steaks on South 9th Street at the intersection of 9th and Passyunk Avenue.
Genos Steaks truly has the best cheesesteaks in Philadelphia, but in order to get one, youll have to know how to order a Philly cheesesteak the right way.
Read Also: Pee Dee Steak House On 125 Menu
Bull Shit Steak Seasoning
- 1 bottle of Bull Shit steak seasoning, 120z
- Perfect seasoning to compliment the finest cut of beef, the ribeye
- Helps bring out the tender goodness of T-Bones, NY Strips, filet, flatirons and sirloins
- Gluten free
- The Philly Cheesesteak Present is for sandwich lovers or Philly eaters who love to travel to Pennsylvania to find new cheesesteak recipes with cheese and sauce in Philadelphia.
- The Im Just Here for the Cheesesteaks Apparel or Design is a funny art gift ideas for men, women or kids and Lover for birthday or Christmas.
- Lightweight, Classic fit, Double-needle sleeve and bottom hem