What Is A New York Strip
The strip steak is known by many names: New York, Kansas City, ambassador steak, club steak or the Omaha strip.but most people call it the New York strip. So why did New York stick? Simple. Thats where it all began, in the great steakhouses of New York City.
The New York strip is cut from the beef short loin, right behind the rib area. It has an intense flavor, with bold, beefy notes. Its not the most tender steak, but people love it for its great bite and solid chew. The rich marbling in this steak creates the robust flavor and delicious eating experience.
Order a strip steak for a consistently reliable cut of meat. No matter how you have it cooked, its marbling melts into the meat to infuse it with the boldest flavors among popular steak cuts.
Kansas City Steak Company Vs The Competition
Its likely you probably already know that Omaha Steaks is the biggest competitor to Kansas City Steak Company. Both are very similar in terms of what they offerbetween steaks, different cuts of meats, gift bundles, and even their websites.
However, there are a ton of lesser-known meat delivery services out there these days that also provide a similar service. Heres a look at some of them and how they differ from Kansas City Steaks:
- Snake River Farms: Known for their American wagyu beef, Snake River Farms offers a similar service to Kansas City Steak Company but focus more on the higher end meats. What I like about Snake River Farms is that they control their entire supply chain, which means more control over the quality of the meat.
- Crowd Cow: Like Kansas City Steak Company, Crowd Cow has a ton of variety in terms of meats, sides, and desserts. They sell all the same types of meat in addition to game meat such as boar, duck, and elk. Crowd Cow also sells plant-based meats.
- Porter Road: When it comes to high-quality meat, its hard to beat Porter Road. I love that they do not freeze their meats when they send them as to not compromise the quality and flavor of the meat.
- Rastellis: Rastellis is one of my personal favorite meat delivery companies. They offer all the same meats and cuts as Kansas City Steak Company as well as many precooked meat options . What I like most is that theyre very open and transparent about their sourcing practices.
Best Online Steak Delivery Companies
Back in the early 20th century a new technology allowed cattle raised in the heartland to reach your local butcher shop: refrigerated rail cars. The rise of the mega-supermarket might have shuttered the doors of many neighborhood butchers, but now white-foam coolers, packed with often flash-frozen steaks kept cold on dry ice, and the delivery guy are luckily bringing quality cuts of meat back home.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more,
In order to view the gallery, please allow Manage Cookies
Read Also: How Long Are Omaha Steaks Good For
What Is A Ribeye
Steak lovers love ribeye. The ribeye is known for its rich, buttery flavor and tender texture. It delivers mouthwatering juiciness and flavor in every bite.
The ribeye is carved from a section called the beef rib. This section of the animal collects more intramuscular fat, creating the marvelous marbling unique to the ribeye.
Ribeye are not as meltingly soft as filets, but they have just enough of a chew and so much flavor that they provide the best beef eating experience. They are at home in our Montague Broiler and the high fat content means that if you want it medium it will not diminish the juiciness.
Rib eyes are also known as a cowboy steak, beauty steak, Spencer, Scotch fillet, or Delmonico. Ours is named for the historic Delmonico restaurant where the rib eye gained its fame.
Is It Cheaper To Buy Meat Online
Generally, the meat you find from online butchers caters to the high end of the market.
This makes sense, people looking to order steak online are looking for a way to get their hands on the best quality grass-fed, Wagyu, or sustainable raised beef. Not save money.
Having said that, some of the companies in our guide are cheaper than others, so its definitely worth shopping around.
Wrapping it up
You now have no excuses for wasting money on cheap steak from the supermarket.
If you dont have any good butcher shops near you dont despair. We truly live in a golden age for meat lovers with the best butchers delivering amazing quality steak to your door.
You might also want to check out our guide on where to buy Wagyu Beef online.
If youve never ordered steak online before you should definitely give it a try. Its a safe and convenient way to try steak that could previously only be tasted in the finest restaurants.
Not sure what steak to order? Check out our guide to the best steak for grilling.
Don’t Miss: Jims Steak Out West Seneca
What Is A Porterhouse Steak
A porterhouse steak is a New York strip and a delicate filet mignon separated by a T-shaped bone. Its considered by many to be the undisputed ruler of the steakhouse. By combining the tender filet with the beefy New York strip it eliminates decision making for many diners.
The porterhouse is a composite steak that is derived from the place where the tenderloin and top loin meet. As you might expect, the porterhouse gives you both the taste of the filet and the short loin, with the less flavorful filet earning admiration for tenderness and the strip steak scoring points for flavor.
A porterhouse is basically the same cut as a T-bone steak, but the porterhouse is cut thicker and must contain more of the filet than the T-bone. The USDA specifies that a porterhouse must be at least 1.25 inches thick measured from the widest point of the filet and a T-bone must be 0.5 inches thick. Therefore, every porterhouse is a T-bone but not every T-bone is a porterhouse.
If you want a special steak experience, nothing can match our Porterhouse for two. Its a full 32 ounces to satisfy any appetite.
Guests come to Wiseguys for more than great food, they come for a truly memorable restaurant experience. You can count on us to make your dining experience one to remember. So dont be surprised when we call you by name or remember your favorite bottle of wine, just settle in, relax, and enjoy your meal.
Kansas City Steak Company Meat Grading
Thankfully, Kansas City Steak Company shares their USDA grading more than Omaha Steaks does.
The beef they sell is primarily USDA choice and USDA prime.
If youre unfamiliar, heres a brief look at the main USDA grades of beef:
- Prime beef is from young, well-fed cattle. It generally has a lot of fat or marbling.
- Choice beef is high quality but has less fat than prime beef.
- Select beef is the leanest beef.
- Standard and Commercial grades of beef are usually sold as ungraded or as store brand meat.
These grades are important to see since they allow you to know the type and quality of the meat. In my experience, they allow you to cut through all the marketing lingo that a lot of meat delivery companies use.
You May Like: What Are The Best Quality Steak Knives
What You Need To Cook The Best Steak Ever
Lets start with whats most important. You will need a DIGITAL MEAT THERMOMETER.
Heres why. Gone are the days of slicing into our steak midway through cooking just to see if its done. No more of that, my friends. We have the technology to help us be better cooks and the digital meat thermometer is probably my number one must-have kitchen gadget. If you prefer your steak super well done, then a meat thermometer may not be necessary .
You will also need a good skillet and kitchen tongs.
What qualifies as a good skillet?
- Any pan or skillet that you absolutely love to cook with. Just make sure its big enough to fit the entire steak comfortably and its sturdy. I have a couple of skillets like this, my cast iron skillet and my stainless steel skillet.
- If you dont have a favorite or youre up for trying something new then I would go with cast iron. Actually, I really really recommend using a cast iron pan , but I dont think its a MUST-HAVE .
How To Pick The Perfect Steak
Have you ever wondered what the different grades for steak mean? I mean, Ive seen them, but Ive never really understood them. So I usually just pick up whatever looks good.
Turns out, those grades actually mean something! And may actually help guide your decision when picking out your next steak dinner.
What determines the grade of the meat?
Two main things determine its grade- the age of the animal and the marbling of the cut. There are three different consumer grades for beef.
Read Also: Best Steak On Gas Grill
What Is Hanger Steak
Hanger steak is also known as butchers steak because butchers would often keep it for themselves rather than offer it for sale.
The Hanger steak comes from the lower belly of the animal and it consists of a pair of muscles that make a sort of a V-shape. The hanger steak is also the tenderest cut of meat.
Historically popular in Europe, especially in the bistros of France, the cut gets its name from the fact that it hangs down between the tenderloin and the rib. The cut has been growing in popularity and there is only one hanger steak per cow so its also a pricier cut.
A hanger steak has great flavor and a nice amount of marbling which means theres a decent amount of fat to provide rich flavor and make the steak juicy and tender. There is a sweet spot when cooking this cut: too rare and it remains toothsome, too overdone and it will dry out. Dont worry about the sweet spot we hit it every time with our signature Pastrami Spiced Hanger Steak. Pastrami, the popular New York City deli item, probably came to us via the Romanians, but after trying our rendition you might think it was originally created in Hilton Head Island.
Welcome To Kansas City Steak Set
This item is sold by The Kansas City Steak Company, a local business to your delivery zip code.
- 4 butter-tender Super Trimmed Filet Mignon, 8 oz each
- 4 hearty, rich Kansas City Strip Steaks, 10 oz each
- Aged up to 28 days to enhance flavor & tenderness
- Includes Original Steak Seasoning packet
- The perfect gift for Grill Lovers
Read Also: Best Way To Season Steak For Grill
Kansas City Steak Company Pros
- They offer a ton of variety. Between the different cuts of meat, different types of meat, sides, appetizers, desserts, and gift bundles, they are up there with Omaha Steaks in terms of the amount of food they have available to purchase.
- Some foods were very delicious. The steak fries and brookies desserts were absolutely delicious.
- They have a great money back guarantee. If youre unhappy, you can contact them and they will refund your money or replace the items youre unhappy with.
Kansas City Steak Company Pricing & Price Comparison
In my opinion, Kansas City Steak Company is very expensive. When I saw that 4 Kansas City boneless strip steaks were close to $90, I was shocked. Thats over $22 per steak and they were only 8 oz each . To put that in perspective, at $89.95 for 4 8 oz strips, that comes out to $2.81 per oz.
To give you an idea of how Kansas City Steak Company compares to the other meat delivery services listed above, heres a look at all of their boneless strip steak pricing:
- Omaha Steaks: At $79.99 for 4 8 oz strips, that comes out to $2.50 per oz.
- Snake River Farms: At $30 for 1 12 oz strip, that comes out to $2.50 per oz.
- Crowd Cow: At $20 for 1 12 oz strip, that comes out to $1.67 per oz.
- Porter Road: At $21 for 1 0.75 lb strip, that comes out to $1.75 per oz.
- Rastellis: At $89 for 4 10 oz strips, that comes out to $2.23 per oz.
You can see that Kansas City Steak Company is most comparable to Omaha Steaks and Snake River Farms in terms of pricing.
Food Box HQ Note: These companies often change the pricing of their products. These were the correct prices at the time of publishing this review. If they are incorrect as you are reading this, please let us know in the comments and we will update accordingly. Thank you!
Recommended Reading: Does Red Lobster Have Steak
What To Know About Cooking
One of the big issues Emily and I ran into with Kansas City Steak Company was the cooking process. They give you a booklet that has all of the information needed to make everything from cooking your steaks to heating up the premade dishes.
When we went to cook the steak, we followed the directions outlined in the booklet since we wanted to make sure we were doing everything correctly so they would come out as delicious as possible.
Unfortunately, the was that the booklet lays out the steps, you have to jump between different pages for different steps. For example, on page 10 it tells us the partial instructions for cooking the steak on a skillet. Then you have to jump to page 12 to see how long you need to cook the steak. But on page 12, they have different cooking instructions at the top of the page.
But the most irritating part was that some of the steps dont have spacing between the words. I found it to be pretty tough to actually follow the directions properly because of this.
Five Guys Kansas City
Always good burgers, fries, shakes and sodas. I say sodas because they feature those new fancy self service soda machines.
I had a cheeseburger and fries! It was one of the best burgers I have had in quite a while. Also the fries were incredible. They give you more fries than you can eat.Recommend!!
stopped here for meal before Royals game. As always, Five Guys burgers were awesome – plenty of fries also. Place was clean and service was great.
While on business decided to give Five Guys a shot. Have heard some good things about the chain but currently no Five Guy’s near my home. Cannot say I was disappointed. The Burger was very tasty and the fry’s were fresh and hot. But the…service I received from Juan was top notch. He greeted everyone as they walked in and you could tell enjoyed his job. I am in the foodservice business and would say he is a credit to Five Guys.More
Great burgers and fries..some say they are too greasy, not my family! Plus, this type of food upsets my stomach at other restaurants, not at five guys. My only complaint is that the fries cause a fight in our family…who is eating all of them!
We prefer this location to others.The burgers and fries are made to order,they are good,fresh and delicious.We munched on roasted peanuts while waiting for our orders.The store is always clean.While we were eating the manager came out and made sure everything was ok.NICE!
Read Also: Omaha Steaks In Air Fryer
Thanks So Much For Reading And Dont Forget To Check Out Orrholmens Salmon In Lobster Cream Sauce Post Over At Suppertime Blues
- 1/3cup Brown sugar or Brun Farin Farinsocker .
- 1/3cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon Minced garlic
- 1tablespoon paprika
- 1/2teaspoon Chili powder or Ancho chili peppar
- 1/2teaspoon Cayenne
- 2teaspoonsKosher salt + a bit or 1 msk of Flingsalt see method
- 1teaspoon black pepper + a bitsee method
- 2tsp Liquid Smoke
Kansas City Steak Company Cons
- Its expensive. I found Kansas City Steak Company to be one of the most expensive meat delivery companies weve ordered from.
- The ordering process was a pain. In my opinion, their ordering process is very confusing and almost led to me paying more for items rather than getting the discounted rate.
- The cooking instructions were not that clear. I found the cooking booklet was a bit confusing to read and the section that tells you how to cook the steak doesnt have spacing between the words.
- Im not a fan of the packaging. First, its all styrofoam, which is terrible for the environment. Second, the boxes that hold the food are not cushioned, which led to our brookies dessert getting a little smashed while in transit.
- The flavor of the steaks and some sides could have been better. Especially considering we paid close to $90 for 4 steaks.
Read Also: Does Steak N Shake Delivery