Things You Need To Know About The Steak N Shake Franchise
Avoids Bankruptcy and Refocuses on Growth
1. In early 2021, Steak n Shake announced that it might have to file for bankruptcy. After some maneuvering, Steak n Shake was able to avoid bankruptcy and in March the company announced that it had plans to open 12 new restaurants by the end of the first quarter of 2021. This is in addition to the 33 restaurants Steak n Shake opened in the fourth quarter of 2020.
2. Steak n Shake had previously closed restaurants that did not deliver excellent customer service. With the advent of its new owner-operator model, Steak n Shake intends to award every restaurant to an operator who provides legendary customer service. Unlike a typical franchising opportunity, which could cost over $2 million, Steak n Shakes program requires that an aspiring owner-operator invest a total of $10,000 and demonstrate exemplary service as an operator. Steak n Shake is making the American Dream a reality for those with talent and passion.
3. In 2020, Steak n Shake owner-operators earned, on average, $161,000 in their first year. Some are on their way to earning over $300,000. Today, there are 100 owner-operators, and each one is a true American success story. Steak n Shake encourages every general manager in the hospitality industry to apply if they are interested in working for themselves.
Continues Shift Toward Quick Service and Opens More Franchises
Entrepreneurs Franchise 500
News Result For Steak And Shake Franchise Cost
Most popular fast food brands from every decadeYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Hereâs how much franchise owners of 10 chicken-sandwich chains can earn by opening their own locationYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Steak ânâ Shake Wants to Sell 400 Corporate Stores for CheapYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Middletown Steak ân Shake reopens after 2 years with drive-thru onlyYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Afternoon catchup: 5 Butler County stories you need to know todayYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Steak ân Shake Responsible for $7.7M in Overtime CaseYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Commercial permits filed in Round Rock, Pflugerville and Hutto, including mixed-use retail, apartment buildingYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Community Impact Newspaper
These 7 Restaurants Are Offering Better Pay and Perks to Fill 125K JobsYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Freddyâs Frozen Custard & Steakburgers hits the publicity trifectaYour browser indicates if youâve visited this link
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Steak Kabobs On Pellet Grill
Section V Financial Performance Representations For The Steak N Shake Franchise
- The historical financial performance representations in this section include unaudited results for the 12-month period ended December 29, 2021 for 81 traditional franchise restaurants and 97 franchise partner restaurants which had been in continuous operation for at least 18 consecutive months as of December 31, 2020.
- Steak n Shake has included sales results from locations based on its franchise partner franchise offering if they have operated as a franchise partner for 12 or more consecutive months as of December 29, 2021.
- As used in this Item 19, the term Net Sales is the same as Gross Receipts upon which your continuing fees are based .
- For the majority of the Traditional Franchise Restaurants and Franchise Partner Restaurants, the dine-in component of the business was either closed or severely restricted beginning in the second quarter of 2020 and extending into 2021.
You May Like: How Long To Marinate Steak
Steak N Shake Is Franchising 400 Company
We are honoring our heritage as a classic American brand by providing a path to achieving the American Dream. Do you have a successful track record in business leadership with proven positive results? Steak ân Shake is seeking entrepreneurial Franchise Partners with vision, passion and an unwavering desire to take hold of the American Dream.
Where Steak N Shake Lost Its Way
Steak n Shake
Steak n Shake emerged out of the Great Recession as one of the industrys steadiest performers. After same-store sales plummeted 7.1 percent in 2008, the brand put together seven straight years of positive gains, including a 7.5 percent run in 2010 that stacked on a 4.1 percent increase the year before.
If you track back to when present management took over on August 5, 2008, Steak n Shake was losing $100,000 per day. By the end of 2009, it was generating $100,000 per day, the company said. Over the next nine years, its aggregate pre-tax earnings were about $185 million and those earnings translated into an even greater sum of distributable cash.
Accelerate to the present, and the comeback story has lost its rosy undertone. Sardar Biglari, CEO of Biglari Holdings, wrote in a letter to shareholders, signed February 22: The decade of control under current management ended much like it startedwith heavy losses.
Steak n Shakes average-unit volumes have been on the decline, too. The company posted AUVs of $1,839.51 in 2017 and had total systemwide sales of $939.99 . The year before it reported AUVs of $1.9 million and systemwide sales of $1,027 .
Ever since we took control of Steak n Shake, we have been steadfast in our formula for success: providing the highest quality burgers and shakes at the lowest possible profit per customer from an ever-increasing number of customers, Biglari wrote.
We failed customers by not being fast and friendly, he said.
You May Like: Philly Cheese Steak Meat For Sale
Looking For A Franchise Youll Love Watch Our Free Webinar Live Or The Recording Later
- This range includes certain on-going monthly expenses you may incur during the first 3 months of operation, including fees paid to Steak n Shake and third parties after the Restaurant opens for surveillance cameras, broadband internet service, software and music licensing fees, IT support center, hardware maintenance and repair, and drive-thru headset maintenance and repair.
- These figures are estimates, and Steak n Shake cannot guarantee that you will not have greater expenses. These amounts do not include rent, any estimates for debt service on loans that you obtain to finance your business, payroll, inventory expenses, or additional working capital.
9. Inventory and Supplies for Opening: $6,000 to $15,000
10. Training Expenses : $16,000 to $55,000
- Steak n Shake does not charge you for the initial standard training it provides. These expenses do not include the salary and payroll expenses for your management and hourly staff or franchise owners.
- These estimates are based on the travel, meals, and lodging you will incur while your managers are in training. Your cost may vary depending upon how many individuals you train and the distance you and your employees must travel to the certified training restaurant Steak n Shake designates.
- The high end range assumes that your management will be traveling to a certified training restaurant and includes the estimated cost for airfare, transportation, meals, and lodging.
12. Impact and Tap Fees: $0 to $10,000
Additional Funds For 3 Months: $15000 To $20000
This range takes into account some ongoing monthly costs you might incur in the first three months of business, such as payments made to Steak n Shake and other parties after the restaurant opens for surveillance cameras, broadband internet service, software and music licencing fees, an IT support centre, hardware maintenance and repair, and drive-thru headset maintenance and repair.
Steak n Shake cannot promise that your actual costs wont be higher given that these are only estimates. Rent, any projected debt service on loans you take out to fund your company, payroll, inventory costs, or additional working capital are not included in these sums.
You May Like: How To Grill A Medium Steak
Start A Steak N Shack Franchise For As Low As $10000
In Normal, Illinois, in February 1934, the American chain restaurant Steak n Shake opened its doors. Gus Belt, the founder of Steak n Shakes, came up with the concept of a premium burger and milkshake. They are well-known in the US for their high-quality menu. the company that offers steak burgers, fries, milkshakes, and numerous other items. Steak n shake is a fast food franchise with locations in the United States.
Steak n Shake offers hand-dipped milkshakes, round, sirloin, and T-bone steak burgers that are made in front of customers, as well as sandwiches, hot dogs, and salad. The company served more than 370,000 customers each day at its various locations across the nation. Many Steak & Shake locations are open every day of the year. Biglari Holdings, which beliefs in gradually winning over customers, owns the entire company in 28 states and now has more than 450 Steak n Shake restaurants, and that number is rising. I will outline the key aspects of Steak N Shake which will help you in your decision of owning this franchise opportunity.
Find Steak N Shake By Biglari Franchise Owners
One of the best ways to thoroughly research a franchise or business opportunity investment before purchasing one is to get feedback from current and former franchisees involved in the franchise system. By contacting current franchise owners and asking about their experience with the franchised business, the earnings and/or success thus far, training and support from the franchisor, STEAK N SHAKE ENTERPRISES INC, and whether or not they would buy the franchise again if they could do it all over again, you can learn what its really like to own a STEAK N SHAKE BY BIGLARI business before you actually purchase a franchise. Its also a good idea to reach out to at least a few former STEAK N SHAKE franchisees to find out why they left or were terminated from the franchise system.
Don’t Miss: Steak And Shake Pick Up
The Franchise Business Model Is One Where Many People In The Past Have Made A Lot Of Money
Franchising.com franchise profile for steak n shake. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about steak n founded in 1934, in normal, illinois, steak n shake has strived to serve the finest burgers and shakes in the business. We are becoming a company of owners. Request more information about the steak n shake franchise for sale. Steak n shake is an american casual restaurant chain which was founded in february, 1934 in normal, illinois and started franchising since 1945. This is true with any. Steak n shake isnt fooling around with its refranchising plans. We are honoring our heritage as a classic american brand by providing a path to achieving the american. Find information on steak n shake franchise business opportunities and learn how much it costs to start an steak n shake franchise business. Devenir franchisé steak n shake, cest avant tout adhérer à cette philosophie de lenseigne avec un esprit entrepreneurial combinéà la volonté permanente de servir dans son restaurant les meilleurs burgers et milkshakes du marché au prix le. The franchise business model is one where many people in the past have made a lot of money. Find detailed business information such as news, financials, franchise history and other corporate steak n shake is a classic american brand serving premium burgers and shakes in more than 550 restaurants across the country and the world. Franchise information for steak n shake.
Types Of Steak And Shake Franchises Available
Please note that Steak n Shake® has alternatives to build out a new restaurant franchise, a range of investment options and floor plans: conversions, existing in-line space, and full ground up construction are all ways to build your new successful restaurant.
- Steak N Shake Classic Franchise
The new Steak n Shake design entertains guests by providing the theater to showcase the production of their famed made-to-order Steakburgers and tasty hand-dipped milkshakes. Conversion opportunities exist to develop a Classic restaurant franchise location.
Read Also: Good Cuts Of Steak To Grill
How Much Money Are Franchise Partners Making
In 2020, the average franchise partner earned $161,079 with some on track to make more than $300,000 in their first year alone. We spoke with Press McDowell, a St. Louis, Missouri franchise partner, who shared, I earned in two months what I made in a year at my previous job.
When asked about the $10,000 one-time cost to join the program, he stated, It is the best investment I have made in my life close to 20 times that amount in the first year.
Says Steak n Shake CEO Sardar Biglari, Doubtless, a good number of our partners will become millionaires. But make no mistake: We are not minting millionaires but are merely providing the meansthey are earning every penny.
Is The Steak N Shake Worth The Cost To Invest
Becoming a franchisee isnt for everyone and no two franchises are the same which is why researching on your intended franchise is highly encouraged to prepare you for what you need and have to know about the business.
For Steak n Shake though, their franchise program acceptance is so low that thousands who apply get rejected all the time. According to the company, in order to be accepted, you must have a passion for excellence with great customer relations, want to please customers, are committed to high performance, and to delivering quality products. Lastly, you must be dedicated to guest service and prioritizing everything in their best interest.
Just because this is a low-investment opportunity, doesnt mean it will be easy to be accepted.
Related Reading: Can You Be Fired from a Franchise Business You Invested In?
If you think you are exactly what I just described, then what you need to do next is consider the money involved. Obviously, with their low franchise free program, anyone would be ecstatic to go and sign up for it. But keep in mind that the $10,000 means you will not be given 100% ownership of the business.
However, theres a reason that the company has successfully opened franchise stores for years. There are also several success stories from franchisees about growing their restaurant and earning so much more than what they initially put out.
Don’t Miss: Laguiole Ivory Steak Knives Set Of 6
Steak N Shake Franchise Requirements
The Steak N Shake Franchise Requirements include being at least 18 years of age, having a valid drivers license, and having a good credit score. Additionally, the Steak N Shake Franchisee must have the ability to manage a busy location, be able to lead and work as part of a team, and have a strong work ethic.
1. $10,000 minimum investment is required
2. Six-month on-the-job training
3. Should be prepared to run a business and not be involved in any other ventures.
4. No absentee is allowed all employees must be present and able to manage day-to-day operations.
5. Must have a fervent desire to fanatically and excellently please customers.
6. Be committed to providing high-quality services with high performance.
7. Excellent guest service commitment
Computer Equipment And Proprietary System Fees: Varies
The IT staff at Steak n Shake will work with you to order the necessary computer systems prior to the opening of your business. On these purchases, Steak n Shake does not pay any commissions or markups to the suppliers.
The price of the computer systems varies depending on the kind of restaurant youll run, as shown below. These prices are based on recent vendor quotes and are subject to increases if those vendors demand them.
Quick-service format costs around $77,123. Non-traditional location varies from $19,000 to $38,000 , Roadside format costs around $41,924 and Classic to quick-service conversion format costs around $57,7732.
Recommended Reading: Does Olive Garden Serve Steak
What Is A Steak And Shake Franchise
Steak And Shake franchise is a classic American brand serving premium burgers and milkshakes.
The mission at Steak n Shake is to serve customers the highest quality burgers and shakes along with extending them great service at the lowest possible prices.
In 1939, Steak n Shake began offering a limited number of franchises for Steak n Shake® restaurants, but it did not make a general offering to sell franchises until 1991. As of December 30, 2020 there were 159 franchise locations and 272 company-operated Steak n Shake® restaurants within the U.S. Steak n Shake offers franchises for restaurants with various operating formats: Freestanding Quick Service Format, In-line Quick Service, Non-traditional, and roadside.
The Steak n Shake Company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Biglari Holdings Inc. , an Indiana corporation founded by Sardar Biglari. Biglari Holdings common stock is quoted under the symbols BH.A and BH on the New York Stock Exchange. Sardar Biglari is the Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Biglari Holdings.
Steak And Shake Owner Salary
Franchise partners made an average of $161,079 in 2020, with some on pace to make more than $300,000 in only their first year.
Steak n shake Conclusion
Fast-casual eatery Steak n Shake is proud of its American brand and serves excellent burgers and milkshakes. However, the industry has not been profitable in the past three years, and the number of restaurants closing has increased over that time.
In a very congested market, Steak n Shake competes against names like Shake Shack, Five Guys, and the typical fast food chains like McDonalds and Burger King.
The fact that the franchise is not wholly owned is a possible obstacle. Despite managing 100% of the day-to-day operations, you receive 50% of the profits as a franchise partner. However, if you look at the financial requirements, you will realise that the minimal investment cost might compensate for certain operators lack of full ownership.
Steak n Shake appears to be franchising in a manner akin to Chick-fil-A. Since they are a franchise, Chic-fil-A doesnt actually own their company. Actually, the business is run by its proprietors. You must actively run the store you build and it cannot be treated as a passive investment if you want to become a Chic-fil-A partner.
Read Also: Best Steak Company To Order From