What Should I Serve With Sirloin Steak
Potatoes of All Kinds Crispy Salt & Vinegar Potatoes. Easy Grilled Sweet Potatoes. Potatoes, Green Beans, and Corn with Lemon-Brown Butter Dressing. New Potatoes with Herbs and Anchovy Butter. Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro Pesto. Miso Potato Salad with Yellow Wax Beans. Smashed Sweet Potatoes.
What Should I Serve With Pepper Steak
Traditionally, Chinese Pepper Steak is served with rice to soak up all the sauce and for a neutral textural component for all that savory stir fry sauce.
- Rice. I like jasmine rice or brown rice but any rice will work. Just pop the rice in your rice cooker for a hands off, easy side. You can also use microwave rice pouches if youre making a serving for one or meal prep.
- Low carb. Cauliflower rice, quinoa, broccoli rice or a blend of brown rice and any of the aforementioned options. You can also use low carb noodles such as zoodles or spaghetti squash.
- Noodles. Ramen, soba noodles, rice noodles or even linguine are a fun way to mix things up!
IN ADDITION TO RICE, YOU CAN SERVE PEPPER STEAK WITH:
- Fruit: fresh fruit such as chopped pineapple is always an easy, welcome sweet stir fry side. Grilled Pineapple, Summer Fruit Salad, Perfect Fruit Salad, Creamy Grape Salad, and Pina Colada Fruit Salad are also fantastic.
Notes On Cooking Pepper Steak In A Crockpot:
You May Like: Best Way To Cook Steak On Charcoal Grill
What To Serve With Pepper Steak
- Rice. Keep it simple and serve your pepper steak with rice. Youll have plenty of sauce to make sure every grain is coated. I like to use brown rice for its whole-grain benefits like extra fiber and nutrients.
- Cauliflower Rice. For a more low-carb option, swap the rice for steamed cauliflower rice.
- Vegetables. Up the veggie content even more by serving this recipe with a side of Roasted Frozen Broccoli or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Steak Bites With Garlic Butter
These seared steak bites are cubes of sirloin steak cooked to perfection in a garlic butter sauce. An easy meal or party snack thats ready in just minutes!
If youve got meat lovers in your life, you HAVE to try these garlic butter steak bites. Theyre amazing simply eaten out of the pan with toothpicks, or serve them over mashed potatoes for a hearty dinner option.
Raise your hand if you love steak! These steak bites are a super fun way to get your meat fix, my kids ask for them constantly. Not to mention, steak and garlic butter are just a perfect combination, wouldnt you agree?
Don’t Miss: Best Indoor Grill For Cooking Steaks
How Do You Make Pepper Steak From Scratch
Directions Sprinkle meat with paprika. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown beef . Add broth and garlic. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Combine cornstarch, soy sauce and water stir into meat mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Gently stir in tomatoes and heat through. Serve over rice.
Tips For Chinese Pepper Steak Recipe
- To make slicing the beef easier, place in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This makes it firm and easier to slice.
- Slice the beef against the grain.
- If you have the time, marinate the beef 30 – 60 minutes prior to cooking.
- Get the wok hot before searing the beef and keep hot till cooking done. Work quickly
- Slice beef thinly and in similar size so it cooks fast and evenly.
- Adjust black pepper to suit how spicy you want it.
Recommended Reading: Grand Western Steaks Promo Code
How To Make Steak With Pepper From Scratch
Instructions Sprinkle the meat with paprika. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Brown meat. Add broth and garlic. Boil, covered, for 30 minutes. Combine cornstarch, soy sauce and water stir in the meat mixture. Boil and stir until thickened. Gently mix tomatoes and heat. Serve with rice.
How To Make A Soft And Juicy Steak
8 easy ways to tenderize meat Physically tender meat. For hard cuts like steak, a meat hammer can be a surprisingly effective way to break down the hard muscle fibers. Use a marinade. Do not forget the salt. Let it come to room temperature. Boil slowly. Achieve the correct internal temperature. Rest the meat. Cut against the grain.
You May Like: How To Grill Beef Steak
What Can I Use Instead Of A Wok
You can definitely make this dish in a frying pan. Woks are a great tool in the kitchen for stir fry style dishes and for cooking mixed vegetables. If you dont have one, dont skip the meal, but consider trying a wok some timeyou will probably love it!
PRO TIP: Woks need to be seasoned just like a cast iron pan needs seasoning. It should come with a set of instructions on how to do so. It should go something like first, boil water in the wok. Rinse it off and coat it in oil then heat it up. Repeat the oil and heat several times. You also dont wash it with soap. Let salt and heat do all the germ killing.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other quick and easy takeout style recipes:
Key Pepper Steak Sauce Ingredients
- Soy Sauce. A salty, delicious umami bomb. Soy sauce is the perfect base for an Asian stir fry sauce .
- Worcestershire Sauce. Making crockpot pepper steak with Worcestershire sauce helps to deepen the flavors of the dish. It works well with the beef and gives another umami note.
- Honey. I love to naturally sweeten my Asian recipes with honey. It provides the perfect touch of sweetness and stickiness that the dish needs.
- Ginger. Adds fresh, zippy, slightly sweet notes to the sauce.
You May Like: Who Has Philly Cheese Steak Pizza
Ingredients To Have On Hand When Making Pepper Steak Stir
- Light Soy Sauce if you are sensitive to salt, as regular soy sauce can make the dish too salty.
- Mirin is a Japanese sweet rice wine, if you dont have it on hand you can make a similar version by combining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1/2 cup of white wine to replace 1/2 cup of mirin.
- Cornstarch it is widely available in supermarkets. If you are looking for a replacement, tapioca or arrowroot powder are good alternatives.
How To Cut The Steak Against The Grain
There is another way to enjoy a tender cut of steak, and its by cutting the Steak against the grain. The grains in the meat are the muscle fibers you will find thin lines running across the beef when you look closely.
If you cut the meat parallel to those thin lines, you will end up with a very chewy piece of meat. You must cut against the muscle fibers, and you do this if you are cutting raw or cooked Steak in both cases cutting against the grain will give you a tender slice.
To make cutting a raw steak easyand fast, you should use a sharp knife. Another tip to make the slicing of a raw steak easy is by freezing the Steak for 30 minutes and then cut it into thin slices.
Also Check: Omaha Steaks Dry Ice Disposal
What Else Can I Add To Chinese Pepper Steak
This Chinese Pepper Steak doesnt have to be limited to just protein and veggies. I often like to add nuts to my stir fries. Here are some ideas:
- Nuts: peanuts or cashews add a deeply satisfying crunch that you will CRAVE in every bite! Take care to purchase raw, unsalted nuts. To elevate your cashews or peanuts, dry roast them in a nonstick skillet until toasted- YUM!
- Water chestnuts: also add a tantalizing crunch. Water chestnuts are easy to find in a can so you can keep them stocked and ready to go.
- Sesame seeds: add the nutty sesame flavor. Take care to use toasted sesame seeds or toast them yourself.
- Pineapple: for sweet and savory think teriyaki chicken and pineapple.
- Mango: one of my favorite fruits to add to EVERYTHING. If youre intimidated by choosing or cutting mangos, check out this post here.
- Mandarin oranges: use canned or fresh. Fresh hold together better but canned or super convenient.
- Ramen: use less veggies so your stir fry is saucier and add some cooked ramen.
How To Make Pepper Steak And Onions
Following is a brief overview of how to prepare please see the recipe card for full detailed instructions.
Join me on , and .
Don’t Miss: Philly Cheese Steak Meat Walmart
How Spicy Is Pepper Steak
This Pepper Steak recipe is not spicy, just savory and flavorful. The pepper in the name doesnt refer to black pepper or chile peppers, but rather mild, sweet bell peppers. That being said, I love adding some heat to my Chinese Pepper Steak it makes all of the other flavors come alive. You can customize the heat of this Pepper Steak recipe so its perfect for you. This is particularly easy to do because we are using chili paste which is easy to add more to taste at the end instead of whole chili peppers
In this Pepper Steak recipe, I have given a range of 1-2 tablespoons Asian chili paste. If you use 1 tablespoon Asian chili paste it should be medium spicy. If you use the full 2 tablespoons, it should be on the spicier side, but not crazy spicy.
If you know you dont like very spicy food, then I would only use ½ tablespoon Asian chili sauce. From there, you can add Asian chili sauce to taste at the end of cooking.
What Kind Of Beef Is Used For Pepper Steak
I recommend flank steak for this Peppers and Steak recipe because it has just the right amount of marbling for maximum flavor and emerges buttery tender once marinated and cooks up quickly without becoming chewy or rubbery . It is also less expensive than prime cuts but emerges equally delicious.
You are also welcome to use tenderloin, sirloin or ribeye steak for this Chinese Pepper Steak recipe if you already have it on hand, but otherwise, I wouldnt spend the extra money on it.
Do You Cook Steak In Butter
Put the pan over high heat, and leave it until it is extremely hot. Add 1T butter and 2T olive or canola oil to the pan and watch for the butter starting to brown. Place the steak into the pan and reduce the heat to medium, cooking the first side for 4-6 minutes. Picking the steak up with tongs, quickly sear the edges.
Pepper Steak Recipe Using White Meat
If you are not fond of red meat, you can make this recipe with white meat and enjoy it just as much you can also use tofu. The sauce used in this pepper steak recipe goes well with any meat.
When using chicken, boneless and skinless thighs are the best part to use. If you are using chicken breast, then make sure not to overcook it, or itll turn out dry and chewy.
I would like you to make this recipe as is and then add your touch to it. Cooking pepper steak as per the recipe card will give you an idea of how ingredients work together and how it tastes. Accordingly, you can add more ingredients or omit some.
Pepper steak is quick to prepare dinner, and you dont have to buy Steaks expensive cuts to make it. The spices and the vegetables in this recipe are the right combinations developing a unique flavored sauce that wraps each slice of steak.
Read Also: Victorinox Rosewood Steak Knife Set
Helpful Tools To Make Pepper Steak Recipe
- Large Saucepan: if you dont have a wok, then a large stainless-steel saucepan is the perfect alternative for stir fries, curries and I also LOVE it for pastas! They are virtually indestructible, distribute heat evenly, dont react with acidic ingredients and wont leech into the food. I love both my 10 and 12-inch Le Creuset Stainless Steel Pans but this more economical pan also has excellent reviews.
- Garlic press: I use this every single day! It is the ultimate garlic press- it is easy-to-use, easy-to-clean and minces garlic with one squeeze. Unlike other presses, this garlic press has beveled holes that finely cut the clove rather than bruising it, bringing out the best flavor.
- Zester/micro planer: cooking is made 100X easier when you have the right tools for the job! This zester is razor-sharp and makes grating everything a snap from ginger, lemons, limes, Parmesan, nutmeg and chocolate.
- Quality Knives: a chefs knife will be your most used kitchen tool by far! Quality knives make prep time much quicker and are important for safety as well. If youre concerned about moola, please remember that your best chef knives, depending on how hard you use them and how well you take care of them, can easily last 25 years or more. I love my Wusthof but there are hundreds of less expensive knives with great reviews such as this one.
How To Store Reheat And Freeze Crock Pot Pepper Steak
- To Store. Place leftover pepper steak in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a large skillet on the stove over medium-low heat. You can also reheat this dish in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Store pepper steak in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Also Check: Who Has Steaks On Sale
How To Make Rachs Turkey
Rach shares an easy recipe for Pepper Steak, a Chinese-American dish her mom made for her as a kid.
“My mom is 86 and she has made a version of this dish for us since I was 7 or 8 years old. Once you invest a bit in a small pantry of ingredients, you’ll find you can use them in literally dozens of Chinese, Thai, Korean and Japanese recipes, and that’s just what I have been cooking a lot of in the last year at John’s request!” Rach
Rach’s Serving Suggestion: Serve with white rice cooked in water seasoned with salt , sliced ginger and crushed garlic .
Tips For Tender Steak:
- Use a sharp knife. Sharpen your knife before slicing the steak to ensure buttery clean cuts.
- Freeze steak. Place your steak in the freezer 60 minutes before cutting. This will help it not wiggle beneath your knife so its much easier to slice thinly and cleanly.
- Slice steak into thirds. I recommend slicing your steak into thirds before you freeze it so you can work with one third at a time while the rest of the steak stays frozen.
- Slice steak across the grain. You want to cut perpendicular to the muscle fibers running through the steak in one direction so they become as short as possible and virtually undiscernible. If you cut with the grain, the fibers are left long which results in chewy, rubbery steak.
- Slice steak thinly. This goes with slicing your steak across the grain by slicing your steak thinly , you are shortening the muscle fibers which results in more tender steak.
- Use a hot skillet. Make sure your skillet is smoking hot before adding your steak so it will sear on the outside and remain tender on the inside.
- Dont overlap steak. Add steak to the skillet in a single layer to sear otherwise it will steam.
- Cook steak in batches. You will need to cook your steak in 2-3 batches so there is enough room for it to sear in a single layer.
- Dont overcook steak. Overcooked steak means tough steak. Dont cook your steak completely when searing because it will continue to cook when you will add it back to the skillet with the stir fry sauce
Also Check: Wagyu Steak Where To Buy
To Freeze Before Stir
- Stir Fry Sauce: whisk together, add to a freezer bag or freezer safe airtight container, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Steak: you can freeze the steak after combined with the marinade or after its seared. After you sear the steak, let it cool completely then transfer it to an airtight container or plastic freezer bag and squeeze out any excess air. Freeze for 2 to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before using.