How To Cook Marinated Steak On A Stovetop
The Best Easiest Steak Marinade Recipe For Grilling
Any good grill recipe starts with the marinade, and this steak is no different. It’s got a lot of subtle ingredients that when combined result in BIG flavor that makes everyone raise an eyebrow and ponder what’s in itwe love watching people try to guess. It’s always simpler than they expect.
So, here it is, the big secret for the best grilled steak marinade EVER:
And it’s actually good for you. This recipe is:
- high in protein and iron
- bursting with zinc , phosphorus , all your B vitamins and Vitamin K
- chock-full of immune-nourishing Vitamin C, digestion-friendly magnesium, and heart-healthy potassium
It’s super versatile, toonot only can you use this marinade on any cut of steak, but what you do with the steak afterward is totally up to you, too.
This grilled steak marinade makes for awesome steak tacos or fajitas it’s great in a stir-fry with lots of veggies and rice or a Chimichurri Steak Bowl you could use it for kebabs or to make a steak salad and, of course, it’s also perfection served just as it is, plain and simple and knock-your-socks-off delicious.
How long do you need to marinate steak? We recommend at least 30 minutes, but if you can swing several hours, that’s even better. Overnight works too!
When Steak Marinade Is A Good Idea
The most common reason people use steak marinades is to tenderize tougher pieces of beef. Generally, cheaper cuts are the ones that can benefit from a good steak marinade. Skirt steak, hanger steak, flank steak, and chuck are a few options that work well with a marinade.
As these steaks soak in the marinade, the acids in the marinade go to work breaking down fibers and tenderizing the meat. The longer the steaks stay in the marinade, the more time they have to tenderize and get more flavor.
Another reason to use marinades is to add extra flavor to steaks that arent as full of beef flavor as others. Again, these are usually the cheaper cuts.
Grilled steak is another excellent option for marinades. The grill tends to leave a char on steak, and some people dont find the char very appetizing. But the flavor of a marinade can create a more pleasant taste that some will find more palatable.
Read Also: Long Horn Steak House Menu Prices
How Long Should I Marinate The Steak In The Italian Dressing Marinade
Ideally, you should marinate the steak in Italian dressing for at least 4-5 hours, or overnight if possible. This will allow the flavors of the marinade to fully penetrate the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and tender steak. If you are short on time, however, you can still get good results by marinating the steak for at least 1 hour.
The total time to is also a function of how strong is your marinade and what end recipe and flavors you have in mind.
Do You Have To Discard Marinade
The answer is, usually not, but its always best to be safe and practice common sense. If you do have to discard a marinade recipe, do so by pouring the mixture into a glass or jar and putting it in the fridge or freezer to solidify. This will prevent bacteria from growing and making your food taste bad.
You May Like: Steak And Shake Happy Hour
What Do You Use To Marinate A Steak
This steak marinade is packed with dried herbs, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. These ingredients all come together to give you such amazing flavor and the perfectly cooked juicy steak!
- Soy sauce: Adds a bit of salty and tons of flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds acidity to tenderize and flavor.
- Olive oil: Help seal in juiciness.
- Worcestershire sauce: One of the best umami flavors for beef.
- Minced garlic: Use fresh for the best tasting.
- Italian seasoning: A go-to combination of outstanding herbs.
- Pepper and Salt: To taste, but do not leave it out.
- Red pepper: Adds a bit of spice.
- Steaks: I used rib eye, New York is also great
- Butter: Butter is truly the best thing to cook steak in! Hands down!
- Chopped Parsley: Adds a pop of color.
How Long Should I Marinate Meat
Based on the type of marinade you’re using and the kind of meat, your food could marinate for 30 minutes or overnight. Beef and lamb are always up for a long, leisurely soak, but delicate meats like seafood and skinless chicken only need a minimal soak. Be careful not to over-marinate your food since the acid in the marinade can cause the food to become too tough or too mushy.
- Seafood – 15 to 30 minutes
- Boneless chicken breasts – 2 hours
- Pork loin – 4 hours
- Lamb – 4 to 8 hours
- Beef– 24 hours or more
Remember, the goal is flavor. So even if your meat might get the most from several hours in a marinade, it will still get flavor benefits from a shorter soak. Marinating for 12 hours or more does cut cooking time by about 1/3, so keep an eye on the grill.
Don’t Miss: Qvc Kansas City Steak Burgers
Tips For Steak Marinade
- This marinade will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days, so its great to make in advance if youre entertaining. You can even freeze your marinade for up to 2 months if need be!
- Feel free to use a low sodium soy sauce if youre watching your salt intake.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of dry herbs that is available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. This seasoning is typically a blend of dried basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. If you cant find Italian seasoning, you can blend together your own dried herbs in equal amounts.
- The steak in these photos is topped with an herb butter which is super easy to make. Simply combine 1/4 cup softened butter with 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs, 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, salt and pepper. Add a dollop of butter on top of each steak as it comes off the grill.
- This marinade works well with most cuts of beef, I recommend using it on flank steak, New York strip, ribeye, sirloin or filet mignon.
Key Ingredients For Marinades
- Fat: You could use almost any oil for your marinade, but we love olive oil for its flavor and quality. It has a smoke point that is lower than avocado or peanut oil, but it still prevents sticking and adds flavor.
- Acid: Balsamic or red wine vinegar and even lemon juice are said to help tenderize tough cuts of meat, but more importantly their sharp flavor counters both the salinity of a well-seasoned steak and the rich flavor produced from the grill. Bonus: The natural sugars in vinegar caramelize, making for really great grill marks!
- Salt: What doesnt salt bring to the party? It seasons the steak, aids in moisture retention, and tenderizes. Dont skimp on it here!
- Flavor enhancers: If all marinades are effectively made from the same four components, this is the one place to make yours unique. Mustard is one of our go-to flavor enhancers because it packs a lot of flavor in a little punch and everyone has it in the fridge. Try a few smashed cloves of garlic and let them marinate too. Got some green onions? Throw them in as well.
Recommended Reading: 20 Steaks For 30 Dollars
How Long Does Steak Marinade Last
You can make a big batch of this marinade and keep it on hand for whenever you need to marinate some protein. Keep this marinade in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
You can also keep the marinade in the freezer. If its already in the bag with the steak, it will keep for 3 months. If youre storing the marinade on its own, you can freeze it up to 9 months. It it thaw overnight in the fridge if its paired with meat, or it can thaw at room temperature if its alone.
Creamy Garlic Steak Bites With Mushrooms
Alyssa RiversJump to Recipe
Creamy Garlic Steak Bites with Mushrooms are made in the most amazing creamy garlic sauce with melt in your mouth steak bites and mushrooms!
Dont Miss: Steak Eze Sams
Don’t Miss: A Set Of Steak Knives
How To Tell When Your Steak Is Done
For steaks that are 1.5 or thicker, use a meat thermometer. Start by charring them over High heat then moving them to a section set to low heat to finish cooking.
For thinner steaks, use a timer and cook over high heat.
- Rare: 3 minutes each side
- Medium Rare: 4 minutes each side
- Medium: 5 minutes each side
How To Make A Steak Marinade From Scratch
The steps on how to make a steak marinade from scratch are incredibly easy to follow and can easily be made in just a few minutes. This article has everything you need to know about making a simple steak marinade from scratch that can easily be adjusted to suit your needs. If you need any accessories to help make marinating your steak easier or if you need a new barbecue grill, check out our catalogue for all that and more.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Barbecue Steak
What Cut Of Steak Is Best For Marinating
Though this marinade will work on any cut of steak, its true that some are better than others, depending on your personal tastes. I tend to go for a leaner cut of beef, like t-bone, top loin, tenderloin, or ribeye. But, that doesnt mean I dont purchase other cuts of steak.
Chuck steaks, hanger, skirt, and flank will taste great after 20 minutes in the perfect steak marinade but you can also lean toward leaving it in the bag longer to really seal in that flavor and make your steak as tender as you prefer, up to 24 hours.
The Best Steak Marinade Recipe For Grilling
This steak marinade recipe for grilling is delicious, simple, and versatile. It works on any cut of steak and it will WOW everyone you serve it to! Plus we include simple tips on how to cook steak and where to get healthy, humanely raised meat.
UPDATE: This post was originally published in June 2017 and has been updated to reflect new information and helpful content. Also note, this post was originally sponsored by Home Depot. All thoughts and opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Root + Revel to provide free content and healthy living inspiration.
We’re in full-fledged summer, which means grilling season is happily upon us! We fall back on this steak marinade recipe time and again, and it never disappoints!
If you’re getting ready for grilling season, this recipe is a MUST in your arsenal!
Dinner party with friends in the backyard? Steak!
Date night in? Steak!
You really can’t wrong with a simple, tender and delicious dinner like this.
The recipe for this steak marinade will blow your mind, we promise you. It’s so simple and yet every time we make it, we always get asked for the recipe. It’s become our go-to and almost the only way we cook steak anymore because it’s that good.
This recipe couldn’t be easier. It’s two steps: make the marinade and pour it over the steak. Cook the steak. You’re done.
Recommended Reading: Chipotle Southwest Steak And Cheese Wrap
Cook For 2 Minutes On Each Side
Cooking is a great way to spend time with your family. As you cook, youre able to bond with your loved ones, pass down recipes and enjoy the process of creating memories. With that being said, there are some tips and tricks that should be followed in order to ensure success when cooking for your family.
Also Check: Mcdonaldâs Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Nutrition
Lets Marinate Some Steak
The aroma this mix gives off before you add the meat is insane. You know its going to be incredible just from by the smell of it. Mix in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and a pinch of red pepper. Add steaks to a resealable zip lock bag or large bowl and pour the marinade on top. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
Recommended Reading: Steaks Delivered To Your House
How Long Do You Cook A Tomahawk Steak On The Grill
Toss the tomahawk on the grill. As soon as the internal grill temperature has reached 225 degrees, remove the steak from the direct heat and cover the grill with a lid to keep it warm. For medium-rare doneness, grill over indirect heat for approximately 45 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees for medium doneness.
How To Properly Marinate A Steak
Properly marinating a steak is going to depend on the type of steak youll be using. For example, a strip steak will need a different marinade than a ribeye steak because of its different textures and flavors.
While you can typically utilize any recipe for any steak you want, you will need to consider several different factors when choosing which recipe to use, including how long you have to marinate the steak and how much marinade will be needed to infuse the steak with the right amount of flavor.
Depending on the tenderness of your steak, you can easily marinate different cuts of beef from 5 minutes to overnight. We dont recommend marinating beef for longer than 24 hours since you will the run risk of mushy steak which isnt good for anyone!
The good news? The steps to marinating a steak are pretty much the same, with the only significant difference being how to marinate a steak with a wet marinade versus a dry marinade.
Also Check: What Is The Best Steak Knife Set
Is Skirt Steak Tender
The fact that skirt steak is cut from a muscle that is often utilized means that it is considered to be a rough cut of meat by many people. Cooking a skirt steak fast at a high temperature, while breaking down the fat and sealing in the natural fluids, is the most effective method for making it tender.
How To Make This Easy Steak Marinade:
- Whisk marinade ingredients: in a mixing bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, garlic, pepper and rosemary until well blended.
- Pour over steaks and marinate: place steak in a gallon size resealable bag, place steak in gallon size resealable bag. Pour marinade over steaks, seal bag while pressing out excess air. Let marinate.
Also Check: Dry Age Steak At Home
Once You Know How To Make Steak Marinade You’ll Be Able To Turn Even The Toughest Cuts Of Beef Into A Moist Tender And Flavorful Meal
When it comes to types of steak, not all cuts are created equal. Filet mignon, ribeye and porterhouse steaks are easy to cook up nice and juicy. Other cuts are not so lucky. Thats why its important to know how to make a steak marinade. Some steaks benefit from soaking in a marinade before cooking for tender, flavorful results.
How Long Should You Cook Marinated Steak
Cooking marinated steak can be a time-consuming and difficult process, but its worth it in the end. If you follow the right cooking methods, marinated steak will taste delicious and be cooked to perfection.
Don’t Miss: Best Way To Cook Steak On Bbq
What You Will Need To Make It#
Light Soy sauce substitute with all-purpose soy sauce as it is not as salty as the dark soy sauce)HoneyDried parsleyOlive oilOreganoFennel seedPaprika: apart from the boost of flavor it adds to the meat, I also love that it adds a touch of color to the meat.Fresh garlicBlack pepper and a pinch of salt: you can omit the salt if you desire