Pick Your New York Strip Steaks
Pick well marbleized 1-inch thick strip steaks is a 10-12 ozs steak. Choose USDA prime or USDA choice grade beef only. Lesser grades will be disappointing.A ¾ inch thick strip steak will work and can be excellent but be sure to watch the internal temperature closely, or you may overcook. If you want to grill a strip steak 1 ½ inches thick or more, you will need a different technique.
How To Cook A New York Steak On The Grill
Heres a quick recipe on how to cook a New York steak on the grill. If you have a good steak, this is a pretty simple thing to do: just a little salt and pepper and the right technique, and you have a great steak. We like to let the flavor of the New York stand out, so serve with simple sides like a salad or in this case some simple fried green beans and onions.
Now that grilling season is finally back in swing, I thawed out a New York steak that had been sitting in the freezer for a while just begging to be eaten. For those of you who havent tried one of our New Yorks, this is a full-flavored and quite tender steak that stands on its own without the help of seasonings or marinades. Just a little coarse salt and pepper does the trick. And the fat rind along the edge of the steak caramelizes beautifully to an almost bacon-like texture.
If you manage to have any leftovers, I like to slice very thin then quickly caramelize in butter and serve for breakfast with a slightly runny fried egg.
To serve this steak for dinner, try a light salad on the side, or as in the photos, a quick green bean stir fry. For the stir fry, just pan fry fresh green beans in butter with salt, pepper, and rosemary leaves until about half done, then add chopped onions and fry til caramelized. About three minutes from done, add some chopped mushrooms and garlic and a little more butter as needed to fry the mushrooms.
Selecting The Right Cut
First, a definition. Steaks are basically any piece of meat that falls under the category of fast-cooking cutscuts that are low enough in connective tissue that they dont require the long cooking times that slow-cooking cuts require. The difference between a steak and roast essentially comes down to size. Any good roast can be cut into individual steaks .
Also Check: The Steak Guys Kansas City
How Long Do You Cook A 2 Inch New York Strip
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit . In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat and sear the steaks on both sides until they are well browned. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for roughly 2 to 4 minutes each side for medium rare, 3 to 5 minutes for medium, and 4 to 6 minutes for well done, depending on the thickness of the steak.
You May Like: Baking Soda To Clean Grill
How To Grill A 1
Take your steak out of the refrigerator 30-40 minutes before cooking it to prevent it from becoming tough. On order to achieve the perfect medium-rare steak, sear it in a pan for 12-13 minutes for a 1-inch steak and 14-15 minutes for a 112-inch steak, flipping it once at the halfway mark. A meat thermometer should read 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
You May Like: Omaha Steaks Private Reserve Filet Mignons
How Do You Grill A 2 Inch Steak
A: To grill a 2 inch steak, you will need to sear it on the outside and cook it on the inside. You can do this by placing your steak over high heat for about 3 minutes before turning down to medium-low heat.
- how to make new york strip steak tender
- how to grill new york strip steak on gas grill
- how long to cook steak on grill
- how to grill thin new york strip steak
- 2-inch new york strip steak grill time
Read Also: Canada Steak Burger Chula Vista
What To Serve With Traeger Grilled New York Strip Steak
This steak is wonderful with a Caesar salad, but any salad works. You can also serve with something like grilled asparagus or zucchini. Here are some other suggestions for sides that you might want to give a try as well.
These recipes work well with steaks especially!
- Grilled Lobster Tails Surf and turf, all day long. Wood fired lobster tails are perfect with any kind of steak!
- Traeger Bacon wrapped shrimp Another surf and turf option. These are typically appetizers but would be wonderful served as a skewer alongside the tender steak.
- Greek pasta salad This one is made with noodle and tons of vegetables. Iâd love a pile of thing alongside a steak.
- Chanterelle mushroom soup Great first course, and mushrooms always work with steak.
- Creamy Asparagus Pasta
Also Check: What Temperature Do You Grill Steaks At
How Do You Cook A 1 Inch Steak On The Grill
The following are the usual cooking times for a 1 1/2-inch thick steak sliced thinly:
Tips For Making Strip Steak
As I mentioned earlier, strip steak is extremely easy to make and doesnt require a lot of ingredients or fuss. With this in mind, here are some of the most important things to focus on when grilling strip steak:
- Get your grill hot, hot, hot! Turn on your grill as high as itll go, and make sure to allow the grill to fully preheat before cooking your steaks. A nice, hot grill is key to ensuring these steaks cook perfectly and remain nice and juicy.
- #restingbutter. That compound butter? Its just a tiny bit magic. By placing your hot steaks directly on the butter while it rests makes for the most flavorful steak ever. Do not skip this step! This resting butter is a complete game-changer, and youll never eat strip steaks without it again.
- Use a reliable thermometer. Make sure you are using a trusty meat thermometer to keep track of the internal temperature of your steaks while they are on the grill. My family prefers steaks cooked to medium-rare, but as always, cook to the doneness you prefer. I highly recommend cooking your steaks to medium-rare or medium for maximum flavor and juiciness. Anything over medium begins to dry out and become tougher to chew.
Don’t Miss: Jack Link’s Steak Strips
Do You Close The Grill When Cooking Steak
When you cook with the grill open, you ll more effectively get a crispy, perfect-Maillard-reaction caramelization on the outside of the meat without overcooking the center. So, they can hold up to the heat chamber the lid creates, and in fact, the lid will help thicker cuts of meat or vegetables cook more evenly.
How To Grill A Steak
Note: if you properly season your steaks with a little salt and pepper or our famous steak marinade, you shouldnt need any steak sauce or bbq sauce for serving because the beefy flavor is so delicious.
Don’t Miss: Bobby Flay Steak Sauce For Sale
Temperatures For The Best New York Steak
The best way to ensure the most succulent, juicy NY Strip Steak every time is to check the temperature with an instant read probe style thermometer so you dont overcook it. I personally like my steak cooked medium-rare to medium. These temperatures create the juiciest steak because the moisture inside the steak cant escape at these low of temperatures. I dont recommend cooking your Strip Steak above 150 degrees, as it will become tough, dry and chewy.
Use the below temperature chart to gauge your steaks doneness. To check the temperature, insert the probe of an instant read meat thermometer into thickest part of the steak. You want the temperature to register 5°F lower than the desired doneness temperature because the steaks will continue to cook and rise in temperature while resting.
|145 to 150°F||150 to 155°F|
NOTE: The USDA recommends steaks and roasts be cooked to 145°F and then rested for at least 3 minutes for safety.
What To Do With Leftover Steak
Got leftover steak? Dont waste it! Here are a few ideas to repurpose it:
Nachos: make a big sheet pan of nachos and instead of using ground beef, use sliced steak instead.
Bowls: Make our beef taco bowls, but use diced steak instead of ground beef.
Mac and Steak: Make a box of mac and cheese and serve it with sliced grilled steak.
You May Like: Knife Set With Steak Knives
Ny Strip Steak Recipe
New York Strip may be called different things, depending on where you have having your steak discussion. You might see it labeled Kansas City Strip, Omaha Strip, Club Steak, and Top Loin Steak.
Strip steaks are boneless center loin steaks, with a pleasantly chewy texture and a lot of beefy flavor. They usually come between 1 and ½ inches thick, and if you can buy them freshly sliced at a butcher counter thats the optimal way to go.
New York Strip Vs Other Steak Cuts
- Which is better, New York Strip or Ribeye? New York Strip is one of the tastiest steaks you can find, just not quite as tasty as succulent, smooth Ribeye. New York Steak has less marbled fat than Ribeye, which means its slightly less tender, smooth and rich tasting. New York Strip is still an excellent choice at a lower price point and healthier because it has less fat.
- Which is better, filet mignon or NY strip? This comes down to personal preference. New York Strip Steak has richer marbling which means it is richer and deeper in flavor. If you prefer a thick, softer cut of beef thats not quite as beefy, filet mignon is the answer.
- Which is better, New York Strip or Top Sirloin? Top sirloin steak is often called the weeknight steak because its tender and flavorful, just not as tender and flavorful as NY Strip, but is affordable enough to enjoy any night of the week. Top sirloin is less expensive than NY Strip because it doesnt have as much marbling, but it still has enough to provide big beefy flavor.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Electric Grill For Steaks
How Do I Cook A Steak Medium
It all comes down to time. Cook for 2 minutes on each side for rare, 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, and 4-6 minutes on each side for medium-well. For a steak 22mm thick, use the same procedure. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side until well done, then reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for another 4-6 minutes.
Specialty Methods For Cooking Strip Steak
Traditional methods of cooking Strip steak are tried and true, but sometimes, trying a new and non-traditional cooking technique can make all the difference in tenderness and flavor. No matter which of these specialty methods you use, your steak should be completely thawed in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Remove the Strip steak from the refrigerator 3040 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature. Season your steaks to your liking we recommend using our Kansas City Steak Original Steak Seasoning.
Ideally, steaks should be at least 1& frac122 inches in thickness to maintain juiciness and avoid over-cooking when searing .
Here is the best way to prepare and cook reverse sear Strip steak:
Don’t Miss: Which Is The Best Steak To Eat
What Temperature Should I Cook Steak On The Grill
Clean your grills cooking grates and set your grills temperature to direct, high heat. Cooking steaks at a temperature between 450°F and 500°F produces the finest results. 4. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, cover it, and set a timer for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steaks.
How To Season Grilled Steak
Some of the biggest reasons a steak might not be flavorful is the cut or quality of steak itself or the steak might not be seasoned well enough. For this recipe I grilled up a Private Reserve 14oz beef strip loin steak from Omaha Steaks. These are thick, beefy, robust steaks of extraordinary quality.
Once you have a great cut of beef, you just have to know how to season grilled steak appropriately. More often than not, people tend to under season their beef. If you are just salting a steak, I prefer to use kosher salt. You can see and thus control how much salt lands on your steak prior to or after cooking.
If you are using a seasoning blend, be quite liberal with how much you put on the steak. Remember, some seasoning will stick to your plate as your carry it to the grill or your stove. Some seasoning will also stick to the grill itself or possibly the pan you cook it in.
Recommended Reading: Best Steak Seasoning Recipe For Grilling
Heres The Secret To Grilling A Juicy New York Strip Steak Perfectly
The New York strip is a favorite among grillers, and answers to a few names. Some people call it the Kansas City Strip or the Strip Loin. But whatever you want to call it, its still the cut with the long strip of fat running down the side, the one that we like to call the fat cap. It is part of why the New York strip is so flavorful and juicy and doesnt really need much to make it superb. All you really need when cooking it is some high heat oil and some salt.
- Heat water bath to 130 degrees.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the strip steak.
- Add the steak to a sealable bag with a few thyme or rosemary sprigs.
- Remove air from the bag while sealing, and place the bag into the water bath so that the steak is fully submerged.
- Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, depending on the steaks thickness.
- Sear the steak on both sides in a cast-iron skillet.
- Rest for five minutes on a foil-tented plate before serving.
How To Cook Strip Steak On The Stove
Looking to test out some Kansas City Strip steak recipes on the stove? A pan-seared Strip steak boasts a mouthwatering flavor, giving your meat a rich golden-brown color and enhanced taste.
Be sure your steak is completely thawed before cooking. We recommend thawing in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Once thawed, remove your steak from the refrigerator for 3040 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature. Season your steak as desired we recommend a generous serving of our Kansas City Steak Original Steak Seasoning.
Here is how to cook Strip steak on the stove with the best results:
You May Like: Where To Buy Tomahawk Steak
What Is A New York Strip Steak
The New York strip is a butchers favorite as well as a popular option among consumers it is sometimes referred to as the Ultimate Grillers Steak. This is true for a good reason.As the strip steak is grilled, the rich marbling will melt into the flesh, resulting in a delicious steak meal that will impress everyone.Its simple to grill the ideal New York strip steak in just 5 simple steps, as demonstrated in this video.
Is New York Strip A Good Steak
Absolutely! A good New York Strip isn’t cheap, but it’s definitely worth the cost. Also known as ambassador steak, strip loin steak,Kansas City strip, club steak, or the Omaha Strip, the New York Strip steak gets its name because it’s often associated with the great steakhouses of New York City. In fact, Delmonico’s Restaurant, which opened in New York in 1827, offered a strip steak as one of its signature dishes. Both butchers and diners love this cut for a variety of reasons:
- Intense flavor: the New York strip has a bold, beefy flavor, which appeals to steak-lovers.
- Medium texture: it’s not quite as tender as the filet mignon, so folks love the strip steak for its great bite and solid chew.
- this cut has rich marbling throughout, which yields a juicy steak with great flavor.