What Steak Cut Is Best For Marinating
What cuts of beef to use a marinade on is a matter of personal preference and the recipe youre making.
Generally, marinades should be used on tougher cuts of beef from hard-working muscle groups, like flank, hanger and skirt steak.
If youre cooking a high-quality, flavorful cut of beef like a ribeye steak, we recommend not marinating it so that the beefs natural flavor can shine. However, if you want to use a marinade on a ribeye or filet, you can. Its entirely up to you.
What Do You Use To Marinate A Steak
This steak marinade is packed with dried herbs, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. These ingredients all come together to give you such amazing flavor and the perfectly cooked juicy steak!
- Soy sauce: Adds a bit of salty and tons of flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds acidity to tenderize and flavor.
- Olive oil: Help seal in juiciness.
- Worcestershire sauce: One of the best umami flavors for beef.
- Minced garlic: Use fresh for the best tasting.
- Italian seasoning: A go-to combination of outstanding herbs.
- Pepper and Salt: To taste, but do not leave it out.
- Red pepper: Adds a bit of spice.
- Steaks: I used rib eye, New York is also great
- Butter: Butter is truly the best thing to cook steak in! Hands down!
- Chopped Parsley: Adds a pop of color.
Can You Make These Steaks Into Shish Kabobs
Yes! Sirloin is one of the best cuts of steak for making shish kabobs. When using this marinade to make kabobs, I recommend cubing the steak, then adding it to the marinade. This means, more of the steak surface area gets to soak up the delicious marinade.
After marinating the cubes of steak for at least 20 minutes, skewer the steak by itself or with veggies like bell peppers and onions. Grill the steak shish kabobs over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, flip and continue grilling for an additional 4-5 minutes.
Read Also: Steak Eze Sams
Don’t Miss: Philly Cheese Steak Pizza Papa John’s
Dedicated To Earning Your Business
The Propane Guys are dedicated to earning your business. We wont ask for repeat business or referrals, we want to earn it. We are easy to connect with to answer any questions by emailing us at [email protected] or contacting us at 907-272-SWAP. We are focused on growing our business around the specific needs of our clients. Everything is unique in Alaska, this is why we take the approach to listening and implementing client suggestions as we continue to grow.
Order Online Today
The Propane Guys
The Ultimate Skirt Steak Marinade Recipe
Cooking steak can be intimidating, I know it used to intimidate me. I think it was because steak is usually a more expensive cut of meat and I did not want to mess it up. Steak on its own has incredible flavor and texture. This skirt steak marinade enhances the natural flavors of the steak without overpowering it. Using the right marinade for your cut of steak can elevate it from great, to absolutely amazing. And this marinade does just that for skirt steak.
Adding marinades to meat does a few things that make it a must when cooking steak. First of all marinades tenderize the meat, helping to break down the fibers that make meat tough. Marinades add flavor. Allowing the meat to sit in the marinade for even as little as 30 minutes will infuse it with intense flavor, guaranteeing a scrumptious meal. And then it adds moisture, helping to ensure your meat is moist and tender.
Don’t Miss: Zwilling Ja Henckels Steak Knife Set
Grilled Asian Garlic Steak Skewers
Grilled Asian Garlic Steak Skewers are marinated in a delicious Asian garlic sesame sauce and grilled to tender and juicy perfection. Perfect for any BBQ or gathering!
Great grill meals for outdoor entertaining are a must at my house. When I am in the mood for steak with delicious Asian flavors, I also love Grilled Flank Steak with Asian Marinade because it is unbelievably good!
A Readers Review
What Is The Best Marinade For Steak
A good quality, homemade steak marinade doesnt need to be fancy. A few simple ingredients are all you need. The best steak marinade should include:
- Several layers of flavor Soy sauce, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce all play a key role in the flavor profile of this marinade.
- An acid to help break down the tough muscle fibers and collagen in the meat so that the flavorful ingredients infuse into the steak.
- Fat Most marinades, including this one, have oil in them. Olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, or vegetable oil are the most common. The oil helps to balance any acidic ingredients and it helps the steak to retain moisture as it cooks.
Recommended Reading: Steak Restaurants Near My Location
Which Type Of Steak Is Best For Marinating
As any true lover of steaks will tell you, marinating your meat is a particularly good way to crank the flavor volume right up. It works great when cooking on a barbecue, where the extra smokiness adds even more amazing flavor but is equally beneficial when grilling or pan-frying too.
And because the acidity of a good marinade serves to break down the fibers of the meat, traditionally tough-but-tasty cuts can be used. A steak which is normally a little chewy can be transformed by the marinating process into tender, succulent meat that cuts like butter. And often these steaks are cheaper too win-win! Here are some of the cuts that are traditionally great for marinating:
What Exactly Does Marinating Do
The process of marinating any kind of meat, simply put, brings a steaks flavor to the best possible outcome. But what does marinating actually do? The proper steak marinade not only tenderizes the meat, but it also adds a punch of soft flavoring to really bring out the steaks quality. You can marinade any cut of meat. Marinades are made from enzyme or acidic components like lemon juice, wine, vinegar, or any combination of all three. These acids work to change the consistency of the meat making it much more tender. To flavor the meat, most marinades have bold flavors and contain salt and herbs. And the best part of all? Steak marinades create that caramelization that we all adore so much. Steak University has you covered when it comes to your cut of meat all you have to do is prep the right marinade.
You May Like: Kelly’s Steak And Seafood Menu
How To Tell When A Steak Is Done
It comes down to personal preference to know when a steak is done. But remember there is a recommend safe temperature from the USDA of 145 degrees to kill off any harmful bacteria.
To tell when its done to your liking always use an instant read thermometer and insert the thermometer through the side of the steak horizontally and go to the center of thickest portion. Keep in mind color isnt always the best way to judge doneness as some steaks are just naturally lighter than others to begin with, and you dont want to cut into a steak during cooking or youll lose some of the juices.
Here is a list of steak doneness by temperature to refer too:
Rare: 125 130
Medium rare: 130 135 degrees
Medium: 135 145 degrees
Medium well: 145 150 degrees
Well: 150 160 degrees
Can You Make The Marinades Ahead Of Time
You can make the marinades themselves and keep them in mason jars in the fridge up to one week in advance. I wouldnt recommend any longer than that, especially for marinades with fresh herbs as they can lose their flavour. But creating the marinades ahead of time is a great way to cut down on prep time if you like to do a little bit of meal prep earlier in the week before cooking.
Read Also: Jack Link’s Steak Strips
How Do You Make A Steak Marinade Without Soy Sauce
If you are allergic to soy or dont like the taste of soy, you can use a substitution instead on in the marinade.
- Consider skipping it all together and just using the other ingredients, increasing your oil and balsamic by cup each.
- Tamari sauce is another Japanese sauce you can use that tastes like soy but is thicker and more flavorful than soy sauce.
- Coconut aminos make a good substitution for soy sauce.
- Bragg liquid aminos will help to tenderize your steak and add flavor as well.
- You can also increase the amount of worcestershire sauce if you enjoy that flavor more.
How To Make The Perfect Steak
You need 3 things in order to have a delicious steak:
Once you have these three things, make this homemade steak marinade. It really is delicious! I am seriously now thinking of buying enough rib eye or tri tip to last me the entire week so I can eat more of this!
Don’t Miss: What Is A Kansas City Steak
Which Meats Are Ideal For Dry
Beef is commonly aged, of course, but it works on pork, too. It is important that you start with as large a piece as possible, the whole sub-primal cutthe top round or whole tenderloin, for examplebone-in, with fat caps intact. If you can get the butcher to give it to you before it is cut into smaller steaks, this is ideal. Dry-aging smaller pieces will not be worth your while in terms of tenderness or flavor, and you might lose too much to trimming.
Wrap the cut in cheesecloth before you stick it in the refrigerator to dry age.
Also Check: Creamy Dill Mustard Mcdonalds
How Long Do I Marinade My Steak
When your marinade is ready to go, add your steaks to the mix and let it marinade for 2 hours or even overnight! The marinade will immediately start working to tenderize your meat, and the longer you wait, the more tender and flavor-packed your steak will be before grilling. The right kind of steak marinade shouldnt take much effort at all, as its usually only a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Recommended Reading: Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition Steak Knife Set
Tips For How To Marinate Steak
Okay, so while its simple, there are still some quick tips Id like to share that will help you marinate and cook your steak like a pro. Here are some helpful tips on how to marinate steak to have the best results.
- Use a sealable plastic bag, large bowl with plastic wrap, or an air-tight container. You want to seal in the juices and flavors as much as possible. As a general rule, I use a 1 quart sized bag when Im marinating less than a pound of steak, and its perfect.
- Keep marinating meat away from other foods in your fridge to avoid unsafe contamination of the raw meat.
- Use a combination of an acid, oil, and spices in your marinade.
- Make sure to discard the unused marinade once its time to cook the meat and dont use it as a sauce unless you cook it first because it will contain raw steak juices.
- For the best results, try to marinate the steak the night before you cook it for the maximum flavor.
- If you cant get to cooking your marinated steak within two days, you can also freeze the meat in the marinade to be used later. Thats a benefit of using the freezer-safe bags you can just toss them right into the freezer for later. Then, when its time to cook, thaw the meat and cook.
- For most marinades, use about 1/2 cup of the marinade for every 2 pounds of beef.
- After removing the beef from the marinade, pat all sides of the steak dry with paper towels to prevent steaming and encourage browning.
What To Serve With This Easy Steak Marinade
You can serve the steak whole or serve or thinly sliced. We enjoy ours with a dab of butter and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley. Though those additions are optional, they elevate and complement the other flavors of the dish.
Steak pairs so well with many sides, like a baked sweet potato or sweet potato fries, a regular baked potato, and a simple side salad for a complete meal.
You May Like: Daniels Steak And Chop Aruba
How Do You Make A Steak Tender
There are two ways that I use to make a steak tender. Acidic tenderizers are a great way to get a tender steak. I include lemon juice in my marinade to help to soften the steak. it breaks down the tough fibers in the meat. If you are starting out with an already tough cut of meat, I will also break down the fibers by pounding the meat before I cook it.
Why Air Fryers Are So Amazing
- Healthy: Air Fryers make everything so easy and so much healthier than traditional methods. It can cut the time in half as well as the fat without sacrificing flavor.
- Frozen: Frozen food can be cooked in the fryer, youll just have to adjust the cooking time.
- How It Works: They work by circulating heat all around the food so its practically fool proof.
Also Check: Where To Get The Best Steak
Favorite Veggies To Grill With Steak
- Tomatoes and green beans: This is my favorite combo. Just place in foil, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Then fold up sides and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Corn: Grill your corn by wrapping in foil and cook for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. To elevate your corn, try making Mexican street corn or easy corn salad.
- Asparagus: Coat asparagus with oil and salt and pepper to taste. Grill on high for 2-3 minutes. I like my asparagus a little crunchy, but grill for 1-2 more minutes if you prefer softer.
- Zucchini: I like to grill my zucchini in spears. Brush with olive oil and salt and pepper then grill until beginning to char, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Baked potato: Poke holes into the potato with a fork, then brush olive oil on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and grill for about an hour, turning the potatoes constantly.
When I Grill Steaks They Come Out Toughwhy
Lets rewind a little bit you probably missed adding an acidic touch to your marinade recipe. Muscle fibers within your steak need to be broken down, as well as the proteins turned into gelatin in order to make your steak tender. Over high heat and with more tender cuts of steak like filet mignon, this happens very easily. But for tougher cuts of meat, you need to grill it slowly and continue to keep it covered in marinade.
Read Also: Tony’s Original Philly Steaks
Why Should You Marinate Steaks
Ribeye steaks are well marbled with fat, making them less in need of enhancements. However, the additional flavor is what makes ribeyes so special. The exterior surface of the meat is well flavored, but the seasoning is not overpowering. Keep this marinade in mind for leaner cuts of beef and turn them into a memorable and amazing meal.
Bottled marinades are often too salty for me, even though they may have good flavor. This recipe has just the right amount of salt to be effective and flavorful. That makes this recipe a good choice for people trying to cut back on sodium.
How Long Can You Marinate Steak
Steak can be marinated for up to a day, though the sweet spot is about 6 to 8 hours. Anything more than a day and you run the risk of the marinade breaking down the meat. The 6 to 8-hour spot is great for putting it all together in the morning and coming home to steak ready to marinate at night. Dont have several hours? No worries. You can almost marinate a steak to perfection in just an hour.
Read Also: Best Lean Steak For Weight Loss
What Is The Difference Between Prime Choice And Select Beef Steak
- Prime beef comes from young cattle. It has a generous amount of marbling , this is the best and most expensive grade of beef.
- Choice beef steaks are high quality and are more budget friendly than prime, they just dont have quite as much marbling.
- Select beef steak is the lowest grade and the most budget friendly. Meat is leaner and not quite as tender.
The Only Steak Marinade You Will Ever Need
This steak marinade is genuinely the only steak marinade you will ever need. I have tested a ton of marinade recipes over the years, and we always come back to this recipe. We have been using this recipe for years, and it never disappoints us. A mix of savory and a hint of sweet helps give your steaks that perfect crust when you grill it up.
Read Also: Chicago Cutlery Serrated Steak Knives