Try These Steak Marinades
Steak marinades usually contain 1-2 tablespoons of acidic liquids, such as wine, vinegar and citrus juice, per cup of marinade . These recipes will marinate four beef steaks. To make them, combine the ingredients in a glass or ceramic bowl, add the steaks and turn to coat, then cover and place in the fridge to marinate before barbecuing.
How Long To Cook Steak
- Blue: Should still be a dark colour, almost purple, and just warm. It will feel spongy with no resistance.
- Rare: Dark red in colour with some red juice flowing. It will feel soft and spongy with slight resistance.
- Medium-rare: Pink in colour with some juice. It will be a bit soft and spongy and slightly springy.
- Medium: Pale pink in the middle with hardly any juice. It will feel firm and springy.
- Well-done: Only a trace of pink colour but not dry. It will feel spongy and soft and slightly springy.
Its very important to consider the size and weight of your steak before calculating the cooking time. If youre unsure, take advantage of the expert eye of your butcher who should be able to tell you how long you need to cook your meat.
Dont Cook The Steaks Too Long
The final tip in grilling the best steak is to avoid cooking it too long. If youre making steak on an outdoor grill, then use a meat thermometer. Its not quite as accurate when using an indoor grill, but keep it in mind if you want your steak cooked medium-rare. A rare steak should be cooked to 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit, medium rare is 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit and well done should cook to 140 degrees or higher.
While grilling a good steak can seem like a challenging task, it doesnt have to be. Keep these four tips in mind so the next time you grill, youll cook your steak to perfection.
Recommended Reading: Larry’s Steaks Menu Rising Sun
How To Cook New York Strip Steak With Spicy Coffee Rub
Allow the flavors to develop for 2 hours. Heat coals on a grill. When the coals are hot, move them to one side of the grill. Sear the steak for 2 minutes on each side over the coals. Move the steak to the cool part of the grill and cook with the lid on for 20 minutes. Rest the steak for 10 minutes before slicing.
Tips For Summer Grilling With Ohio Beef:
- Allow ¼ to ½ cup of marinade for every pound of beef, and always marinate beef in the refrigerator, never at room temperature.
- After gilling, allow beef to rest for about five minutes before cutting and serving. This prevents the tasty juices from draining out of the meat and all over your plate.
- Wanting to serve your family a nutritious steak or roast thats also affordable? Check out these great-tasting cuts that are budget-friendly!
Also Check: How To Grill Strip Steak
Dont Forget To Let It Rest
As with all large cuts of meat, you should let your steaks rest before slicing into them. You want those juices to redistribute within the meat instead of spilling out onto the cutting board! A good rule of thumb is to let it rest for 5 minutes per inch of thickness . For most steaks, that means anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. Dont worry I promise it wont get cold while it rests!
Since a thick steak takes a bit longer to grill than a thinner steak, go ahead and prepare one of these grilled appetizers while you wait to keep everyone from getting hangry!
Best Steak Marinade In Existence
- cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1½ tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- Step 1
Place the soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, basil, parsley, and pepper in a blender. Add hot pepper sauce and garlic, if desired. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed.
- Step 2
Pour marinade over desired type of meat. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Cook meat as desired.
Don’t Miss: How To Grill Thick Steaks
The Beauty Of Compound Butter
Compound butter sounds fussy, but its really just seasoned butter. You can make it in advance, and its a great way to season the steaks after theyve been sliced. Use the recipe below as a framework you should really use your favorite herbs and spices. If youre in a pinch for time, grab some cultured butter and use that instead.
How Long To Grill Steak
For a 1 1/2-inch thick steak, here are the general cooking times:
- 6 to 8 minutes for rare
- 7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare
- 10 to 12 minutes for medium
- 12 to 15 minutes for well done
Note that the USDA recommends cooking whole cuts of beef to an internal temperature of 145°F.
Keep in mind that the thickness of your steak, the heat of your grill, and your desired level of doneness will all impact the time it takes your steak to grill. Raichlen suggests checking the temperature of the steak by inserting a digital meat thermometer through the side, not top down. You can also use Elises handy dandy guide.
Don’t Miss: Chipotle Steak Keto Bowl Nutrition
The Ingredients Needed To Make The Best Grilled Steak:
Your best may not be my best or his or hers. its a. These simple grilled steak recipes are foolproof and delicious. Carve your own funny, scary, or beautiful pumpkin carvings this Halloween. For the Best Grilled Steak Recipe, click here.
Grilling Tools For Perfect Steaks On The Grill
- Jelly Roll Pans – used for everything from cookies to roasting, a good baking pan will last for years.
- Tongs – I love this set of 3. I use every pair of them. They are so handy and grip amazingly well!
What should I serve as a side dish?With love from our simple kitchen to yours. Do you love TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe. Click here to and receive new recipes in your inbox every day!Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on | | |
Also Check: What Is Special About Omaha Steaks
Preparing The Steak For Grilling
After you have collected all the ingredients, you should prepare your porterhouse steak for grilling.
You dont have to do much. Just remove the steak from the freezer and leave it to get to the room temperature.
I know that you can cook a frozen steak to taste as good as a thawed one, but leaving it to reach the room temperature is the recommended option for this type.
Image Credits: BestandWorstEver Blog
After the meat has reached the room temperature, you can continue with the seasoning and the grilling process.
Note: Since porterhouse steak is so large , the time it will take for your grill to heat and get to cooking temperature is about the same time it will take your steak to get up to room temperature, which makes grilling conditions perfect.
Why Salting Time Is Important
If you salt the steaks, say 30 minutes prior, itll do more harm than good. Because when you salt meat, salt draws out the moisture onto the surface of the meat and that moisture wont get reabsorbed within 30 minutes. That moisture will prevent a beautiful sear were looking for in a perfect steak.
Recommended Reading: Dubost Laguiole Olivewood Steak Knives
Top Steak With Butter And Move To The Grill
The Spruce / Leah Maroney
The steak has been cooking for 4 minutes if you want it very rare it’s time to take it off the heat. If you want it more cooked than this, transfer the skillet to the preheated grill .
Drop a pat of butter on the top of the steak right in the middle. This butter will melt quickly and pour down over the steak giving it an extra rich, caramelized, nutty flavor. Close the lid of the grill, or the oven door, and let cook until the desired doneness.
To get a precise temperature reading on this steak, use an oven-safe thermometer or digital thermometer .
Instructions To Make The Best Grilled Steak:
John Schenk, corporate executive chef at Strip House Steakhouse, says that the best steaks for home grilling are nature’s perfectly marbled beef rib-eye steaks or bone-in rib-eye steaks, often called cowboy steaks. This grilled steak recipe is tender and juicy. Find more ideas for your next barbecue at Food.com. Tender juicy steaks on the grill are one of life’s pleasures. This is the best marinade we have ever come across.
So thats going to wrap this up with this special food the best grilled steak recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am sure you can make this at home. Theres gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Dont forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!
Recommended Reading: Organic Grass Fed Ribeye Steak
Ingredients For The Perfect Steak
To make this Oven Steak recipe, you will need:
- Steak: When it comes to buying steak, I recommend looking for:
- Good-quality: Its important to me to buy good quality steak. I look for organic, grass-fed and sustainably-raised.
- Thick Cut: I like to use top sirloin steak for this recipe I recommend your steak to be cut 1 to 1.5 inches thick.
- Oil: Whatever your preferred high-heat cooking oil may be. I like to use olive oil.
- High smoke point oils like peanut oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, even olive oil are the best. This is because they can withstand the high temperature of the oven broiler for a longer period of time without burning.
- Seasonings: I keep it simple and use only coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Feel free to use whatever other dried seasonings that you prefer.
You will also need:
- Baking Sheet and an Oven rack: We use a rack so the heat can circulate under the steak, and you wont have to flip over the meat while cooking.
- A Skillet: I recommend using a cast-iron skillet if you have one. It will hold heat the best and cook the steak evenly. If not, a nonstick heavy-bottomed skillet will do just fine.
- An instant-read thermometer: A cooking thermometer is the best way to ensure with 100% accuracy that your steak reaches the exact degree of preferred doneness.
Grilled Steak Recipes Perfect For A Summer Cookout
Some like it saucy. Some like it skewered. But no matter who youre firing up the charcoal for, these grilled steak recipes have got you covered through the end of the summer season. Steak traditionalists, look no furtheryou cant go wrong serving up plates of this classic Skirt Steak with B.A.1. Sauce . If youre in search of a crowd-pleasing cut to wow your cookout crew, can we recommend a BBQ steak recipe so perfect for a group gathering that we named it Party Steak? But theres more to it than just serving up a hunk of beef. Try it paired with blistered beans and tomatoes or mixed in with greens for a balanced steak salad. Oh, and pro tip: Before mealtime hits, make sure to freshen up on your grill skills with our step-by-step photo guide to grilling steak. Fire it up, friends, and make one of these grilled steak recipes tonight!
Don’t Miss: How Do You Make Steak Tender
Fourth Position And Testing For Doneness
As you prepare to turn the steak for the last time, it’s time to start checking for doneness. The steak should show no red around the side and the top side should have a rich brown color. As you pick the steak up to rotate it 45 degrees , feel the density of the steak. A medium-rare steak should be firm but still have a good amount of give. Close the lid of the barbecue and continue grilling.
After this last position, turn down the heat on your grill and, if needed, test the temperature of the steak. The internal temperatures for different levels of doneness are:
- Rare: 120 to 130 F
- Medium Rare: 130 to 135 F
- Medium: 140 to 150 F
- Medium Well: 155 to 165 F
- Well: 170 F or higher
If your steak needs more cook time, leave it where it is and continue grilling on medium heat until done.
Ingredients For Grilled Steak
The ingredients are so simple heres what youll need:
- Steak to start, you will, of course, need steak! We used 2, 1-inch-thick ribeye steaks for this recipe, but feel free to grab any steak you love just be sure that its at least ¾ of an inch thick.
- Salt to simply season your steaks, youll need 1 teaspoon of coarse or flaky salt. If you have the time, I HIGHLY recommend dry brining your steak ahead of time if you do decide to go this route, know that you dont need to add any extra salt to your steaks before putting them on the grill.
- Avocado Oil 1 tablespoon of avocado oil guarantees that the steaks wont stick to the grill grates The reason were using avocado oil here is because of its high smoke point.
You May Like: Omaha Steaks In Store Specials
Cooking Times And First Position
Have everything at hand before you put the steaks on so that the grill has your full attention. Keep the grill closed as much as possible to hold in the heat. Before putting on the steaks, take a good look at them. Decide which side you are going to call the “top.” You will cook the steaks in four positions, timing each change in position.
- 1-inch thick steak: 1 minute per position
- Between 1 and 2-inch steak: 1 1/2 minutes per position
- Less than 3/4-inch steak: 45 seconds per position
Medium Well or Well Done :
- 1-inch thick steak: 2 minutes per position
- Between 1 and 2-inch steak: 3 minutes per position
- Less than 3/4-inch steak: 1 minute per position
For the best results, it’s important to know your grill. Some grills comfortably hit temperatures over 700 F, while others have trouble mustering 500 F. If your grill runs at a lower temperature, you might need to increase these times by as much as double.
To start, open the grill and position the steaks on the grate farthest from youmeaning the top of the steak is to the back of the grill or at the 12 o’clock position.
With the steaks on the grill, close the lid and start counting the time as indicated above.
How To Test Your Steak For Doneness
For the most accurate results, use a meat thermometer to test for doneness:
- Rare — 125 degrees F
- Medium Rare — 130 degrees F
- Medium — 140 degrees F
- Medium Well — 150 degrees F
- Well done — 160 degrees F
You can also use your fist. Admittedly, this method is more art than science, but it will give you a general idea of doneness. First, make your hand into a fist. You’ll notice there’s a fleshy, roughly triangular patch of skin between your folded-up thumb and pointer finger. Touch that flap of skin and compare it to the steak. Here’s the deal:
- Very loose non-fist — Rare
Also Check: How To Grill Perfect Steak Tips
How To Cook Steak
Get steakhouse-quality steaks at home.
Cooking steak can be intimidating, especially because there’s no one “right way” to do it. Learn these methods for cooking steak, and decide which option is best for you. Here are four ways to cook the perfect steaks: on the grill, in the oven, on the stove, or cooked sous vide.
Salt The Steak At Least 30 Minutes In Advance
Salting is the very best thing you can do for a large steak. You dont need much salt just a nice sprinkle of kosher salt over the entire surface. Then, place it on a rack inside the fridge.
For best results, youll want to salt the steak a day in advance. If youre running short on time 30 minutes will workbut when it seasons longer, the salt can work its way deep into the meat. As the salt seasons the meat, it also pulls out moisture. Given only 30 minutes, youll have to blot off that excess moisture off with a paper towel. But, with more time, the brine will reabsorb into the meat and create a super flavorful steak.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Buy Vegan Steak