Tips For Tender Steak:
- Use a sharp knife. Sharpen your knife before slicing the steak to ensure buttery clean cuts.
- Freeze steak. Place your steak in the freezer 60 minutes before cutting. This will help it not wiggle beneath your knife so its much easier to slice thinly and cleanly.
- Slice steak into thirds. I recommend slicing your steak into thirds before you freeze it so you can work with one third at a time while the rest of the steak stays frozen.
- Slice steak across the grain. You want to cut perpendicular to the muscle fibers running through the steak in one direction so they become as short as possible and virtually undiscernible. If you cut with the grain, the fibers are left long which results in chewy, rubbery steak.
- Slice steak thinly. This goes with slicing your steak across the grain by slicing your steak thinly , you are shortening the muscle fibers which results in more tender steak.
- Use a hot skillet. Make sure your skillet is smoking hot before adding your steak so it will sear on the outside and remain tender on the inside.
- Dont overlap steak. Add steak to the skillet in a single layer to sear otherwise it will steam.
- Cook steak in batches. You will need to cook your steak in 2-3 batches so there is enough room for it to sear in a single layer.
- Dont overcook steak. Overcooked steak means tough steak. Dont cook your steak completely when searing because it will continue to cook when you will add it back to the skillet with the stir fry sauce
Steak Bites With Garlic Butter
These seared steak bites are cubes of sirloin steak cooked to perfection in a garlic butter sauce. An easy meal or party snack thats ready in just minutes!
If youve got meat lovers in your life, you HAVE to try these garlic butter steak bites. Theyre amazing simply eaten out of the pan with toothpicks, or serve them over mashed potatoes for a hearty dinner option.
Raise your hand if you love steak! These steak bites are a super fun way to get your meat fix, my kids ask for them constantly. Not to mention, steak and garlic butter are just a perfect combination, wouldnt you agree?
How To Make It
See recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Tenderize the steak with a meat mallet and cut into thin strips. Pat dry and sprinkle with seasoning, toss to coat.
Heat olive oil and sear the meat in batches for 3-4 minutes. Remove and let it rest. Deglaze the pan with white wine and let it reduce by half. Add the onions and peppers and let them soften for 4 minutes.
Add the sauce. Bring it to a gentle boil and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch slurry. Reduce to low once desired thickness is obtained.
Add the steak back. Stir to combine and heat through, then serve with rice.
Read Also: New York Steak And Seafood
Cut Against The Grain
Cutting the steak against the grain also helps keep it from getting tough. Even the toughest piece of meat becomes much tenderer when sliced against the grain. By cutting a steak against its grain, you shorten those long muscle fibers, making it much easier to chew. Before ever slicing into the steak, note its grain and make your cuts perpendicular with it.
Dont Miss: What Is The Best Steak Knife Set
Why Make This Recipe
- Uses Simple Ingredients To Create A Flavorful Stir Fry
- Save Money On TakeoutHomemade is Better!
I always order pepper steak at my local Chinese restaurant, its one of my favorite dishes on the take out menu! I wanted to create a recipe that was simple, fast and drool-worthy, all while saving money! This Easy Pepper Steak recipe ticks all those boxes with ease. You can now enjoy this takeout staple in the comfort of your own home!
Recommended Reading: Gordon Ramsay Steak Gift Card
Pepper Steak Vs Beef And Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli has a more umami flavor than even Pepper Steak because of the addition of oyster sauce to the dish. Pepper Steak also has an umami flavor, but its milder and great for people new to Chinese dishes .
Pepper Steak primarily uses red and green bell peppers, while Beef and Broccoli use broccoli in the stir fry.
How Do You Dice Green Peppers
If youre wondering how to dice green peppers, weve got the answer. Heres how:
Don’t Miss: Kansas City Steak Company Address
How Do You Cut Raw Steak For Fajitas
If youre looking to enjoy a delicious and healthy fajita dish, be sure to make sure the steak is cut into thin strips.
This will allow you to cook the fajitas perfectly without taking up too much space in your kitchen. Additionally, using a sharp knife will help you score the meat evenly so that each piece is cooked through.
How To Make Pepper Steak Recipe Using White Meat
If you are not fond of red meat, you can make this recipe with white meat and enjoy it just as much you can also use tofu. The sauce used in this pepper steak recipe goes well with any meat.
When using chicken, boneless and skinless thighs are the best part to use. If you are using chicken breast, then make sure not to overcook it, or itll turn out dry and chewy.
I would like you to make this recipe as is and then add your touch to it. Cooking pepper steak as per the recipe card will give you an idea of how ingredients work together and how it tastes. Accordingly, you can add more ingredients or omit some.
Pepper steak is quick to prepare dinner, and you dont have to buy Steak’s expensive cuts to make it. The spices and the vegetables in this recipe are the right combinations developing a unique flavored sauce that wraps each slice of steak.
Read Also: A1 Bold And Spicy Steak Sauce
How Do You Prepare Bell Peppers
Ingredients: bell peppers, salt, water, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes
Bell peppers are a great way to add flavor and color to your meals. However, before you can prepare them for eating, you need to first trim and remove the tough skin from the bell peppers.
You can do this by cutting the bell peppers in half crosswise and then slicing them into thin strips. Then, fill a bowl with cold water and bring it to a boil. Add the bell peppers and enough salt to taste. Cover the bowl and simmer until they are soft but not done yet, about 20 minutes.
Once they are done cooking, you will want to use a fork to mash the vegetables together into a thick paste. Pour the mixture into an oiled pan and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned all over, about 5 minutes per side.
What Goes In It
A few stir fry ingredients along with a few ingredients you would typically find in any Jamaican cuisines for that added Jamaican flavour.
- Steak: Im using sirloin steak, which is considered one of the best steaks for making this dish. If you can get sirloin steak, you can also use flank steak or round steak.
- Bell pepper: It wouldnt be pepper steak without the bell peppers.
- Browning sauce: For that Jamaican effect, use browning sauce, but if you cant get browning sauce or prefer not to use it, you can also use soya sauce.
- Powder seasoning: Any meat, beef, or steak powder seasoning will do. For a taste of Jamaica, Im using Easispice all-purpose seasoning.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the gravy.
- Beef broth: There is a likelihood you may not need this as the meat will release water once it starts cooking, which may be enough water for this recipe. I used ¼ cup of beef broth and mixed it with the cornstarch before adding it to the pot.
- Green seasoning found in every Jamaican cuisine: scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, ginger, scallion and onion.
You May Like: Best Temp For Wagyu Steak
Read Also: How To Cook Medium Well Steak On Grill
More Stir Fry Recipes You Might Like
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. .
I made this last night for me and my husband. It is, without a doubt, the BEST recipe I have ever found for pepper steak.
Made this tonight for myself, my husband and my 10 year old son. My husband said this was in the top five of any recipe I’ve made! Thank you for sharing!
Delicious! I was unsure what to do with the second tablespoon of oil so I just put it in the skillet before the steak! Ill definitely be making this again
This recipe is INSANE. I made it teice this week. Second time subbed boneless skinless chicken thighs and added a half cup of water because its still really salty eve.n with low sodium soy sauce. This bad boy is a keeper
I am not much of a meat eater which is why I only I have 1piece of meat. It is a little salty but the flavor is good, next time I will use a little less soy sauce.
BOMB! I doubled the ingredients to make enough for 3-4 people and it came out so delicious. The sweet flavor with the hint of spice was perfect. Everyone loved it
Why Youll Love This Chinese Pepper Steak Recipe
- This Pepper Steak recipe calls for a delicious mixture of flavors.
- It doesnt take long to make. You can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less!
- The sauce is made from scratch and is sure to be better than even your favorite takeout restaurant.
- It can be prepped ahead of time.
- This pepper steak recipe doesnt require many dishes, meaning easy cleanup!
- The steak and pepper mixture is yummy served over rice
- If youre a leftovers-for-lunch kind of person, this steak recipe still tastes good when reheated.
Recommended Reading: Kitchenaid Stainless Steel Steak Knives
Pepper Steak Variation Ideas
This Pepper Steak recipe is all you can dream of, but here are a few ways you can change up the flavor and make this recipe your own:
Add sweet heat to this dish by adding in some sweet chili sauce.
Make it hot and spicy by adding some homemade Schezwan Sauce or red pepper flakes to it.
Make it sweeter by adding more sugar to the recipe.
Add herbs such as Thai basil or cilantro to make it refreshing.
Add a crunch by adding some nuts such as peanuts, or water chestnuts.
Make it tropical by adding mangoes, pineapple, or Mandarin oranges.
What Other Vegetables Can I Add
Pepper Steak is known for its two classic ingredients: steak and bell peppers, so you basically need only bell peppers as the veggies to make this beautiful dish. Red peppers add a nice sweetness to the dish thats matched by the incredible taste of green peppers.
But whats best about this dish is that you can add whichever vegetables you want to it! Feel free to mix and match and add the veggies you have on hand or the ones that are in season.
Here are a few great choices:
You May Like: What Are The Best Quality Steak Knives
How To Cut The Steak Against The Grain
There is another way to enjoy a tender cut of steak, and its by cutting the Steak against the grain. The grains in the meat are the muscle fibers you will find thin lines running across the beef when you look closely.
If you cut the meat parallel to those thin lines, you will end up with a very chewy piece of meat. You must cut against the muscle fibers, and you do this if you are cutting raw or cooked Steak in both cases cutting against the grain will give you a tender slice.
To make cutting a raw steak easy and fast, you should use a sharp knife. Another tip to make the slicing of a raw steak easy is by freezing the Steak for 30 minutes and then cutting it into thin slices.
Pepper Steak Recipe Jamaican Style
This pepper steak recipe yields a Jamaican stir-fried dish made with sliced beef steak cooked with colourful bell pepper strips, seasoned with thyme, ginger and other Jamaican seasonings.
Because of the colourful bell pepper strips, I used to think this was the most decorative main dish when I was a little girl. Although I never liked eating bell pepper, I would when having pepper steak.
Storing Leftovers And Reheating
Store leftover in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you are the type to freeze everything, pop it in the freezer to store it longer.
Reheating the pepper steak in a microwave takes only 4 minutes. If you are reheating it on the stovetop, try not to overcook it because the beef will get chewy.
How To Prep Chinese Pepper Steak Ahead Of Time
Chinese Pepper Steak has a few steps, but you can prep EVERYTHING ahead of time so all thats left to do at dinnertime is cook! Heres how:
- Slice steak: you can do this at any time before marinating or just before marinating then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Make stir-fry sauce: whisk the ingredients together up to 24 hours in advance and store, covered in the refrigerator.
- Chop veggies: you can slice your bell peppers and onions, chop your garlic, and grate your ginger 24 hours in advance and store in separate air tight containers in the refrigerator.
- Cook! Now all thats left to do is stir fry within the next 48 hours without any of the prep!
Read Also: Best Seasoning For Wagyu Steak
What Kind Of Beef Is Used For Pepper Steak
I love using Chuck Steak for Pepper Steak, but there are many other options you can go with. Another great option is flank steak as it also has just the right amount of fats and protein to make it tender, and not chewy or rubbery.
You can also use other prime cuts such as tenderloin, top sirloin steak, skirt steak, top round steak, or ribeye steak if you already have it at hand. Otherwise, its really not necessary to go for these expensive options.
You can also choose economical cuts like rump steak or hanger steak. I will explain how to make these cuts tender in this post under the section How to Velvet the Beef.
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Yield: This recipe makes 6 hearty servings.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Make ahead: The marinade can be mixed 1 day in advance. The peppers and onions can be sliced 2 days in advance .
- Freezer: Midwest Pepper Steak can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove to 165 degrees.
The Best Mashed Potatoes in the world are just 3 ingredients and so simple, they barely even need a recipe. No matter whats on the menu for the holidays, mashed potatoes
Read Also: Best Steak Restaurants In Chicago
Read Also: Order Steaks Online For Delivery
Why Youll Love This Easy Pepper Steak Recipe
This Pepper Steak recipe is incredible and heres why:
Easy: Its incredibly easy to make and doesnt require any planning ahead of time!
Pantry-staple ingredients: This dish packs a punch when it comes to flavor but it only requires pantry-staple ingredients.
Juicy and tender: Regardless of the beef cut you end up using, my post will teach you everything you need to know to make the steak incredibly tender and juicy.
Big flavors: Dont underestimate the simple ingredients this recipe calls for, because youre going to get big flavors!
Customizable and versatile: This recipe is absolutely perfect on its own but if youre looking for the perfect Chinese stir-fry beef recipe to use as a base and to experiment with, this is the one you need.
Family-friendly: This recipe has rich flavors but its perfect for particularly everyone! Kids and adults seem to love it.
Other Recipes Youll Love
Perfect Parboiled Rice: Want to whip up some rice to serve with your Pepper Steak? Heres a foolproof rice recipe thatll give you perfectly cooked rice every single time. You have got to try this one!
Schezwan Sauce: Looking for a spicy, homemade Chinese sauce? This Schezwan sauce recipe requires minimal effort, is healthier, and tastes better than most restaurant and store-bought versions. It’s simple, it’s quick and it’s tasty. Plus, you don’t need any exotic ingredients to make it at home. Its the perfect sauce for some stir fry rice or noodles, or to even add to your Pepper Steak to spice things up!
Chicken Fried Rice: Craving a delicious stir fried rice? This Chicken Fried Rice recipe is absolutely incredible and so easy to make that youll be amazed! Whether you have it with your favorite stir fry, or on its own, this fried rice is delicious in every way!
Don’t Miss: Best Pellet Grill For Cooking Steaks
The Best Pepper Steak With Onions
Pepper Steak is tender and juicy slices of Steak mixed with peppers and lots of onion in a silky and flavorful sauce.
In this post, you will learn how to cook pepper steak on a stovetop, in a crockpot, how to velvet Steak’s cheap cuts to make the perfect Chinese pepper steak, plus many tips to take this dish to the next level!
We more than often have pepper steak for dinner, and Ill show you how to make it an unforgettable meal. Im sure that you will enjoy this pepper steak recipe more than the takeout you order from your local Chinese restaurant.
This dish can be served with noodles but mostly served with rice therefore, it is called pepper steak and rice at some restaurants.