Tips And Variations For Perfect Steak
- Room Temperature: Have your steaks for the best results.
- Spacing: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate evenly around the steaks.
- Rest: Remove the steaks and let rest on a plate so the fryer doesnt continue cooking the steaks.
- Seasonings: You can use so many different spices and seasonings to your liking and desire.
- Medium Steak: Set the time to 12 minutes and flip the steak at 6.
- Medium Rare: For a medium-rare steak, cook the steak for 10 minutes and flip it at 5 minutes.
- Well-done steaks take a good 12 to 15 minutes.
Easy Steak Marinade Recipe
I usually just stick to some salt and pepper on my steaks, but every once in a while I crave more in each bite. This steak marinade will do just that for you! The flavors complement that beef beautifully to create such a harmony. If youre going to expand that grocery budget to include steaks, you have to do it right.
I am such a big fan of this marinade, Ill keep the excess to brush liberally over the steaks as they grill. You can even make an extra batch, without touching raw meat, of course, to serve on the side as a dipping sauce. Am I obsessed with this recipe or what? Ill happily include it in each step of the process!
Lets Marinate Some Steak
The aroma this mix gives off before you add the meat is insane. You know its going to be incredible just from by the smell of it. Mix in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and a pinch of red pepper. Add steaks to a resealable zip lock bag or large bowl and pour the marinade on top. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
Read Also: Zwilling Gourmet 6 Pc Steak Knife Set
The Answer Is Yes But Its Still Important To Follow Some Tips
First, place the steak in a bowl or jar with room to spare.
Second, season the steak with salt and pepper.
Third, pour in any desired liquids , a
nd let them marinate for at least 1 hour. Fourth, preheat your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Fifth, cook the steak until cooked through . Sixth, enjoy!
Easy Substitutions For Steak Marinade
All of the ingredients in this marinade are important for different reasons. Try not to skip any if possible. Dont forget increments and specific directions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Ive listed some substitutions if youre in a pinch.
Other Beef Cuts Other cuts of beef are totally acceptable with this marinade. Other good choices would be tri-tip, flank, skirt or sirloin. Honestly, any cut of beef that youd grill would be a great candidate for this steak marinade.
Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or Sprite- You use soda pop in a meat marinade simply for its delicious flavor and all that liquid sugar. It is able to penetrate the meat so deliciously! If you find yourself in a pinch, you can use Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or even Sprite in place of Coca Cola. Steer clear of diet sodas- they dont taste the same after being grilled. Im talking about you, weird after taste.
Lime Juice or White Distilled Vinegar You can substitute lime juice if you dont have lemon juice on hand. You can use it as a one-to-one replacement.
Vegetable Oil- If you dont have canola oil, vegetable oil or any light colored oil with a higher smoke point will work just as well.
Read Also: Omaha Steaks Customer Service Phone Number
Tips For Grilling A Perfect Steak
- Preheat the grill so the grates are nice and hot before putting the steaks on.
- Once youve placed the steak on the grates, try to move it as little as possible.
- Only flip your steak once to keep it from sticking to the grates and to cook it evenly on both sides.
- Dont cut into your steak to check for readiness! This will let the juices run out and dry out your steak. Use a thermometer or the hand test .
- Once cooked, allow steak to rest for at least five minutes before cutting into it to preserve the juices and keep it from drying out.
Easy Steak Marinade Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions are our own and we only recommend products that we truly believe in.
Having a good, quick steak marinade recipe is essential during grilling season.
Although we think most cuts taste amazing with only a little salt and pepper, a good steak marinade recipe is great when you want to give the beef an added flavor.
Since we raise beef cattle, we eat a lot of steaks.
There are a few steak marinade recipes that we repeatedly use because theyre easy to make, theyre versatile for multiple recipes, they use common pantry ingredients, and they infuse flavor quickly.
For some of these steak marinades, the steak needs to marinade for as little as 15-minutes to get the flavor.
Don’t Miss: Where Are Omaha Steaks Shipped From
How To Marinate Steak
I always marinate my steak in ziplock bags which I acknowledge is not environmentally friendly, but it is the most effective way to marinade steak because it keeps the steak evenly coated with a relatively small amount of marinade.
If you want to use a container instead, use a glass or other non reactive container and I would recommend doubling the marinade.
How long to marinate steak?
12 to 24 hours is best. You can also freeze it immediately then it will marinate as it thaws!
Pan fry or grill it, and marvel at how JUICY and FLAVOURFUL your steak is!!
The steak marinade injects enough flavour into the steak such that you dont need to serve this with a sauce. But I couldnt resist adding a smidge of garlic butter on top!
You could also serve it with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce or Creamy Peppercorn Sauce, or even gravy.
As for sides, its pictured with buttered baby potatoes and a classic Rocket/Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan. Here are some more suggestions for great sides!
You May Like: Larryâs Steaks Menu Rising Sun
How To Make Steak Marinade:
Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the steaks of your choice in a sealable bag.
Then pour the marinade on top of the steaks in the bag.
Seal and toss about to make sure that the steak is completely covered in the marinade.
Place the bag in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
When you are ready to cook the steak, allow the steaks to come to room temperature.
Then cook the steak based on your preference. You can also baste the steaks with the excess marinade. Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Donât Miss: Country Fried Steak Samâs Club
Recommended Reading: How Long Do Omaha Steaks Last In Freezer
See This Steak Recipe In Action:
Note that in creating this recipe, we used both ribeye and T-bone steaks. The recipe is fabulous with either cut, as long they steaks are good quality and fresh from your butcher/grocer.
Once you have your handful of ingredients, simply combine it all in an airtight container and let steaks soak up the marinade flavors in the fridge until grill time. If needed, turn steaks over halfway through marinading time so all sides are nicely flavored.
Bonus option: after removing steaks from marinade, feel free to transfer marinade sauce to a saucepan and bring to a boil, so you can use it as a sauce to drizzle over cooked steaks. This is a simple and delicious way to make use of all the flavorful marinade.
What Is A Steak Marinade
Steak marinade is a liquid that steak soaks in for some time. While marinades can help out the flavor of steak in about 30 minutes or so, they work their best magic when steaks soak in them for several hours, or even a full day, before cooking.
Steak marinades have two primary purposes: flavoring steak and tenderizing steak. Some cuts of steak simply dont have a strong beef flavor profile like others, so a little extra zest from a marinade adds just the right amount of flavor. And, some cuts simply arent as tender as others, but a marinade breaks down tough fibers to make them easier to chew.
How does the magic happen?
Well, people typically make steak marinades with specific types of ingredients that do the trick. A good steak marinade uses salt, oil, acid, and flavoring. The salt helps tenderize the steak and allows the other flavors to penetrate. Oil is a necessary fat for a marinade that helps keep everything moist while preventing acidic flavors from overwhelming the steak.
Acid ingredients, like lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, break down the meat to keep it tender while adding some extra flavor. Finally, chefs add herbs and spices, like steak seasoning or fresh garlic, to round out the marinades flavor profile.
You May Like: Best Lean Steak For Weight Loss
How Long Can You Marinate Steak
Steak can be marinated for up to a day, though the sweet spot is about 6 to 8 hours. Anything more than a day and you run the risk of the marinade breaking down the meat. The 6 to 8-hour spot is great for putting it all together in the morning and coming home to steak ready to marinate at night. Dont have several hours? No worries. You can almost marinate a steak to perfection in just an hour.
Is It Ok To Marinate Steak Overnight
Any marinade that contains acid, alcohol, or salt should not be used for very long, because it will chemically cook or denature the food in it. Marinate food in these marinades for less than 4 hours. Marinades that contain no salt, acid, or alcohol can be marinated overnight or, in some cases, longer.
Don’t Miss: What To Season Steak With
Choose Your Steak Of Choice
Thick cut steaks consist of:
- Ribeye: This steak is. well marbled and full of flavor. It comes from the middle of the cow in the ribs section. It has high fat content which gives it extra flavor. You will need to trim the fat to avoid flare-ups.
- Strip Steak: Also known as New York Strip Steak, it is tender and a little chewy coming from the rear of the cow. This is my steak of choice and easy to grill with no potential flare-ups.
- T-Bone: Shaped like a T, it brings together two steaks. The tenderloin and a chewier strip steak.
Thin Cut Steaks Consist of:
- Flank Steak: This steak comes from the belly of the cow and is rich in flavor. Always serve the flank steak sliced and cut against the grain.
- Hanger Steak: This comes from the belly of the cow, the part of the cow that hangs down. It has a strong beefy flavor and is great for marinating.
- Skirt Steak: The skirt comes from the diaphragm of the cow. It is a thin cut with plenty of fat and works well with a high heat searing. Should. also be sliced against the grain.
Skirt Steak Vs Flank Steak
- What is the difference between flank steak and skirt steak? Flank steak is a thicker, wider cut of meat than skirt steak. Flank steak and skirt steak come from two different parts of the cow which affects how tough they are. Skirt steak comes from the diaphragm muscle of the cow which contains more tough muscle fibers than flank steak and is therefore tougher these fibers, however, also boat a more intense flavor.
- Can I substitute skirt steak for flank steak? If you want to substitute skirt steak for flank steak, it should only be cooked to rare or medium-rare otherwise it will be too tough and chewy to eat.
You May Like: Steak Knives Serrated Or Not
The Ins And Outs Of Marinading
This marinade ticks all the boxes for a perfectly balanced marinade that will create the perfect flavor. Here are some know hows for the perfect marinade everytime.
- Keep it in the Fridge: When you marinate raw meat, it should be kept in the fridge to prevent bacteria from growing. Keep it tightly sealed in the fridge for the entire time. Remove when ready to cook.
- Do Not Reuse Marinade: Because the marinade has been sitting in raw meat it should be discarded immediately and not reused. If you want to baste your meat with more marinade while cooking, make a fresh batch that has not come in contact with raw meat. Never serve marinade that has come in contact with raw meat on the side.
- How Long to Marinate: Meat can be marinaded anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours. Be careful to not over-marinate as it can entirely break down your meat or make it tough.
- What cuts work best for Marinating: Thinner, flatter pieces of meat work better for marinating than large ones like a roast. You can slice up larger cuts into serving size or even bite-size to get better flavor and tenderization.
- What to use: I like to use a large enough zip-lock plastic bag to put the marinade and meat together. Remove as much air as possible from the bag. You want as much of the marinade to touch the meat as possible. Then place the bag in a shallow pan so that the meat can lie flat and place it in the fridge. Flip the bag over halfway through marinating to make sure all the meat is equally flavored.
What Exactly Does Marinating Do
The process of marinating any kind of meat, simply put, brings a steaks flavor to the best possible outcome. But what does marinating actually do? The proper steak marinade not only tenderizes the meat, but it also adds a punch of soft flavoring to really bring out the steaks quality. You can marinade any cut of meat. Marinades are made from enzyme or acidic components like lemon juice, wine, vinegar, or any combination of all three. These acids work to change the consistency of the meat making it much more tender. To flavor the meat, most marinades have bold flavors and contain salt and herbs. And the best part of all? Steak marinades create that caramelization that we all adore so much. Steak University has you covered when it comes to your cut of meat all you have to do is prep the right marinade.
Recommended Reading: Tomahawk Steak Price Per Pound
How Long Do You Marinate Steak
Even though I swear by the 20-minute time on this marinade, you can soak it for longer. For example, if you have extra time or want to make this marinade in the morning or the night before, you can either make it and marinate it longer or put it all together 20 minutes before you are ready to grill.
If you are using a lesser cut of steak, you can go longer to really tenderize it. If you get in a real pickle or forget about it, your steak will still be good to cook for up to 24 hours in a marinade.
You May Like: What Is The Best Way To Cook A Ribeye Steak
How To Long To Marinate Steak
Marinades, generally some combination of salt, sugar, an acid and various other flavorings, are used to both enhance flavor and to tenderize beef. Realizing that marinades are generally going to create a nice caramelized coating on the outside of the beef when grilled, and not flavor the center of the slab of meat, is the first step in determining how long to marinate a steak. Generally, this marinating window is pretty forgiving. So much so that many recipes will instruct only to marinate overnight.
That being said, the type of steak being marinated should also be considered when determining how long to marinate. Tender cuts of beef, for instance tenderloin, really do better without any type of marinating. Whereas tougher cuts, like flank steak, will be very difficult to chew without receiving some major marinating time.
Also Check: How To Season A Good Steak
How Does Charlie Like His Milk Steak
Despite the fact that Charlie enjoys his Milk Steak cooked over hard, the overall consensus appears to be that it is not the most attractive method to enjoy your meat. This recipe will allow you to enjoy the iconic Milk Steak in a way that is more to your liking. How Long Should Steak Be Boiling?
How Do You Marinate Steak Quickly
If youre looking to quickly marinate steak, there are a few tips to keep in mind.
First, make sure the meat is soaked in plenty of water before beginning.
Second, sprinkle it with salt and pepper before putting it in the fridge or on the counter for about an hour.
Finally, allow it to sit for at least two hours so that all of the flavors have time to blend together.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is A Kobe Beef Steak
What Is The Best Steak Tenderizer
Tenderizer of the Best overall variety: Williams Sonoma reversible meat tenderizer. An easy and inexpensive way to tender meat is to use the Amco 4-in-1 Stainless Steel Meat Tenderizer. You should use Rosle Meat Hammer, the best mallet-style tenderizer. I recommend you JY COOKMENT meat tenderizer if you have a Blade-Style.
Recommended Reading: Country Fried Steak Samâs Club