What Goes On A Philly Cheesesteak
Philly Cheesesteak are known as Philadelphia cheese steak, Philly cheese steak, cheese steak sandwich, cheese steak, or steak and cheese but they all boast the same tantalizing filling of thinly sliced steak and melted cheese served on a hoagie roll.
Many Philly Cheesesteaks also include sautéed onions and bell peppers. Some versions also contain mushrooms, sweet peppers, hot peppers, banana peppers, pimientos, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, olives and/or pepperoncinis.
So while Ive kept this Philly Cheesesteak recipe simple with steak, onions, bell peppers and cheese, feel free to add whatever toppings your heart or belly desires!
Also Check: Best Indoor Grill For Cooking Steaks
Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe
The interesting thing is you can find both establishments on 9th and Passyunk. 2. Main Ingredients of the Philly Cheese Steak. The famous Philly cheesesteak has three major ingredients. Those are the meat, the bread, and the cheese. Onions are a part of the picture too but we like to refer to them as a side ingredient.
Elements of a Philly cheesesteak. A Philly cheesesteak isnt just a steak sandwich with cheese. Theres a very specific formula that, some argue, must be followed to create this specialty from the City of Brotherly Love. According to Visit Philadelphia, the core of a classic Philly cheesesteak consists of: A long, crusty Italian roll.
Chowhound. This sandwich looks so similar to a Philly cheesesteak, melty provolone and all, but it uses flank steak and ciabatta bread instead of boneless rib-eye and a hoagie. Its also a way to use the bourbon-marinated flank steak you made for dinner the night before. Get our bourbon steak sandwich recipe. 3.
Recommended Reading: Best Torch For Searing Steak
How To Cook Them Over The Campfire
This philly cheesesteak recipe makes a wonderful campfire meal. I love to make up a bunch of these ahead before camping season. Then all I have to do is add them frozen to the cooler, keeping my other food frozen longer, and then cook over the fire.
- Your campfire should have been going for a while so that you have a nice 1-2 inch layer of hot & ready white coals. If you are using briquettes, light them and wait about 10 minutes until they are not flaming and starting to turn white.
- For best results use a grate over the coals about 2 inches above them. Place your foil sandwiches on the grate and cook for 5 minutes on one side, then flip over and cook another 5 minutes on the other side.
- If you dont have a grate, place directly on the hot coals and cook, turning the foil sandwiches every 2 minutes for about 8 -10 minutes total or until heated through, being careful not to burn them. Serve.
Recommended Reading: Sam’s Club Steak Prices
Tips For Making The Best Philly Cheesesteak
Below, find our top tips and tricks for making the best Philly cheesesteak.
- Thinly slice your beef. Use a sharp knife to slice your beef thin. This will create a tender mixture and an easy-to-bite sandwich.
- Dont overcook the beef. Whatever you do, dont overcook the ribeye! The best part about this sandwich is that it melts in your mouth and is easy to bite. The meat should be so thinly sliced that you can quickly saute it. Consider investing in a mandolin slicer to shave the meat.
- Use a slow cooker for tougher beef. Dont want to spend the big bucks on ribeye? Want cheesesteaks ready when you get home? Pop a chuck roast into the slow cooker with a cup of beef broth, a touch of Worcestershire, and some salt and pepper. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. 45 minutes before serving add the veggies of your choice into the crockpot. Spoon the mixture onto your roll and top with cheese.
- Substitute chicken for beef. If beef is out of the question, substitute it with chicken. A lot of cheesesteak shops offer this option in Philly because it is delicious in its own way. Make sure you slice the chicken thinly and against the grain to get a similar texture.
Have leftover steak in the freezer? Frozen steak is actually easier to slice thin. Let it defrost a quarter of the way, slice it thin, and throw it straight into your pan. Just keep in mind to drain any excess moisture released before adding your sauteed veggies into the mix.
Who Has The Best Cheesesteak In Philadelphia
Pats King of Steaks Since then, Pats has grown from a little stand at the southern end of South Phillys Italian Market to one of the most famous cheesesteak shops in the world, albeit still in the same and only location. A 24-hour shop, Pats shuts down for only 48 hours each year: Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Recommended Reading: Skirt Steak Where To Buy
The Best Meat For Philly Cheesesteak
by jeffreyw / CC BY
Philly cheesesteaks are one of Americas richest culinary traditions. A shining example of simplicity, these sandwiches are made up of just melt-in-your-mouth steak, onions, and cheese on top of a thick french hoagie bun.
But even with something with as few ingredients as Philly cheesesteaks, everyone has their own way of doing things. From Genos to Jims, to Pats, secrets in the Philly cheesesteak game are held under lock and key.
That being said, there are right ways and wrong ways to make them, and were going to show you what the best meat for Philly cheesesteaks is along with some other key aspects of making an authentic one.
Best Practices For Choosing The Best Cut
Now that you know which cuts to get, lets talk about quality. With a sandwich this simple, every ingredient has to pull its weight, and nothing is more important than the beef you choose.
Heres what to look for when picking out your ribeye:
Look for a good fat to meat ratio.
A ribeye is a naturally marbled steak, but some cuts can have too much fat or be too lean. Look for an even distribution of the white bits and stripes throughout the meat. It should look balanced and have enough fat to permeate the meat when cooked.
Buy grass-fed and grass-finished beef.
Its no secret. Beef raised without antibiotics, GMO-feed, stress, and feedlots tastes better, is better for you, and is better for the environment.
Industrial beef is so sickly that the cows waste is sometimes considered toxic waste meaning companies have to take extra measures to avoid that manure from getting into the water supply.
And then we eat that beef? Its awful, and once you make the switch to truly sustainably-raised beef, you wont go back we guarantee it.
Make sure its fresh.
Buying beef thats been in the freezer for many months isnt going to get you the best results. Try and shop from active companies that are clearly moving product for the best results.
Read Also: What Is Special About Omaha Steaks
Don’t Miss: Buy Philly Cheese Steak Meat
The Best Philly Cheesesteak Freezer Recipe
I am not claiming that these are authentic Philly Cheesesteaks, I only know that they always turn out delicious and my family devoured them. They are also quick and easy to prep and cook, making them an almost weekly favorite in our house. The ingredients freeze well and still cook up beautifully- making it an ideal recipe for our Skillet Freezer Meal.
Can You Freeze Philly Cheesesteak
Yes, you certainly can! You may freeze both the rolls and the Philly cheesesteak meat so youll be all ready for Philly cheesesteak sandwiches!
To freeze Philly cheesesteak:
Don’t Miss: Jean Dubost Laguiole Steak Knives Review
How Are They Prepared
Anyone can venture outside and try to order a cheesesteak, but why go through all of the trouble if you can just reach into your freezer, grab one, throw it in the microwave and have it ready in minutes? Raybern’s Philly Cheesesteaks are not just delicious, they’re convenient and easy to make. You can even stock up on a whole bunch and eat them whenever you feel like it.
The Best Cheese For Philly Cheesesteak:
The most popular cheese is mild provolone. We have tested a variety of provolone brands and the only one we didnt enjoy was aged provolone from Costco. The flavor of aged provolone cheese was overpowering. Another popular option is white American cheese. Some restaurants in Philadelphia add a Velveeta-like cheese but we like provolone best.
Also Check: Best Steak For Steak Burgers
Which Cut Of Beef Should I Use
Ribeye is the steak of choice for Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. It is well-marbled and tender when cooked. Another cut that we have used with great results is flank steak which is lean but very tender when cut against the grain. You will need a little extra oil on your cooking surface if using flank steak.
What Is The Best Meat For Philly Cheesesteaks
If you really want to have an authentic philly cheesesteak, theres really only one choice: boneless ribeye steak. Thinly sliced and evenly marbled, the ribeyes rich fat content melts to tenderize and flavor the meat, giving it that characteristic punch.
A ribeye comes from the rib primal and is famous for its texture and flavor, making it more expensive than many other cuts.
Top round is arguably a close second, but ribeye is more popular. If ribeye or top round arent options, sirloin, skirt, and flank steak are all good alternatives. For leaner cuts like skirt and flank, you may have to add some additional tallow or fat in to mimic the ribeyes marbling, but when sliced and prepared correctly they can also be delicious.
Read Also: Trader Joe’s Ribeye Steak
More About Frozen Philly Cheese Steak Meat Recipes
PHILLY CHEESE STEAK CARLSBAD CRAVINGS
FromReviewsCategoryCuisineEstimated Reading Time
- Whisk all the Marinade ingredients together in a Ziploc bag. Remove 1 tablespoon Marinade and add to a small bowl with 1/2 cup mayonnaise to make Spiced Mayonnaise. Add hot sauce to mayonnaise if desired and store in the refrigerator.
- Add steak to Ziploc bag with remaining Marinade. Marinate 6 hours up to overnight. Remove steak from fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- Prepare hoagie rolls by slicing each in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom and top halves of bread, leaving about 1/2-inch-thick shell.
FREEZER MEAL EASY CHEESE STEAK WITH PEPPERS MUST LOVE HOME
- Place steak with seasonings in large freezer bag, top with peppers and onions. Clip cheese to bag or place cheese in separate container. Seal, label and store in freezer for up to 3 months.
- Pour frozen or thawed contents of bag into a heated skillet with 1 TBSP of oil. Toss and cook over medium-heat until steak is cooked and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Natural moisture from the vegetables should evaporate as they cook.
THE BEST PHILLY CHEESESTEAK FREEZER RECIPE
FromEstimated Reading Time
10 BEST PHILLY CHEESE STEAK SANDWICH RECIPES | YUMMLY
EASY PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SANDWICHES RECIPE
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK | EASY PHILLY CHEESESTEAK RECIPE
Tips For Making Freezer Meal Philly Cheese Steaks
- I used shaved steak for this freezer meal, but you could easily use your favorite cut of beef and just slice it very thin. Its easiest to do if the steak is partially frozen.
- Buy the rolls the same time as the beef. Freeze them in a bag next to the cheese steaks so youll have them on hand when the hunger hits.
- Make multiples so you only have to clean up meal prepping once. Its a breeze to clean up after supper when you eat freezer meals!
Recommended Reading: Steak Restaurants In Charlotte Nc
How Do You Freeze Steak Without Ruining It
Wrap each steak individually with plastic wrap, not butcher paper or aluminum foil, and seal it as tightly as possible. Place the wrapped steaks in a resealable freezer bag and set the freezer as close to 0°F as it will go. The colder, the better. Steaks packaged this way will keep very well for about 3 months.
Philly Cheesesteak Panini Recipe
Instructions. Optionally, butter insides of hoagie rolls with 1 tablespoon of butter and toast. Set aside. In a saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. Once melted and bubbling, add bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are lightly browned and onions turn translucent.
When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures.
The best cheese for Philly cheesesteak: Provolone cheese works best for a Philly cheesesteak due to its neutral flavor and melt. A strong runner-up would be sliced white American cheese slices . In Philadelphia, youll even find some food trucks and restaurants swearing by Cheez Whiz.
Add half of the steak to the griddle on high. Grill for about 1 minute, turning after 30 seconds, until meat is fully cooked. Add half of the cheese on top of meat to melt. Repeat with remaining meat and cheese. To assemble, divide the meat and cheese among the two grinder rolls. Top with the grilled vegetables. Serve immediately.
Placer la grille au centre du four. Préchauffer le four à gril . Dans une grande poêle antiadhésive à feu vif, dorer la viande dans lhuile en la défaisant à la cuillère de bois. Saler et poivrer. Réserver sur une assiette. Dans la même poêle, dorer les champignons et loignon. Ajouter de lhuile au besoin. Saler et poivrer.
You May Like: How To Grill A Medium Steak
You May Like: Pellet Grill Reverse Sear Steak
Whats The Best Cheese For Philly Cheesesteak
There are a few different cheeses used for Philly Cheese Steak : American Cheese, Cheeze Whiz and provolone.
- American and Provolone: a favorite for their mild flavor and consistency.
- Cheeze Whiz: a favorite at Pats and Genos for its bold cheesy flavor.
Ive chosen to avoid the processed cheese whiz but instead melt sharp cheddar cheese into the filling for a sharp cheesy flavor and add slices of provolone to the top of each Philly Cheese Steak to create a blanket of cheesy goodness.
Creative Ways To Serve Philly Cheesesteak:
If youre craving that beefy cheesy filling and want to skip the bun, there are so many fun ways to serve this mix including some fantastic keto Philly Cheese Steak ideas!
- Over Cooked Pasta or stuffed into Shell Pasta
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Stuffed into Portobello Mushrooms
Also Check: Great Steak And Potato Company
What Are Philly Cheesesteaks
Philly cheesesteaks are a hot sandwich developed in the early century by combining frizzled beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread.
Legend has it that Pat of Pats King of Steaks and his brother were running a hot dog stand when they decided to make up a new sandwich and placed beef on top of a roll and gave it to a cab driver. The cab driver immediately told them to sell these instead of hot dogs, and the rest is history.
An authentic Philly cheesesteak only has onions, beef, cheese, and an Amoroso roll, which is a sort of lightly salted hoagie roll made from a bakery in Philadelphia that has become integral to the Philly cheesesteak experience.
Like any popular food, variations have appeared in the decades since. It is popular to add mushrooms, bell peppers, mayo, ketchup, and a multitude of other ingredients to a Philly cheesesteak these days, although die-hards would argue that extra ingredients can only make this perfect sandwich worse.
How Do You Buy The Best Frozen Cheesesteak Meat
- Is it worth buying an Frozen Cheesesteak Meat?
- What benefits are there with buying an Frozen Cheesesteak Meat?
- What factors deserve consideration when shopping for an effective Frozen Cheesesteak Meat?
- Why is it crucial to invest in any Frozen Cheesesteak Meat, much less the best one?
- Which Frozen Cheesesteak Meat are good in the current market?
- Where can you find information like this about Frozen Cheesesteak Meat?
buying guides for Frozen Cheesesteak Meat
Recommended Reading: Steak And Lobster New York
How About The Cheese
A New York Style Philly Cheesesteak is not the real deal unless it’s got American cheese. A Raybern’s Philly Cheesesteak has just the right amount of American cheese drizzled on top. This makes the sandwich both tasty and easier to eat. As the cheese blends with the meat, everything combines to form a more tender, flavorful bite.
Easy Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
This Philly Cheesesteak recipe is everything you want in a sandwich: ooey gooey cheesy goodness on top of perfectly tender meat loaded with peppers and onions. Its the ultimate sandwich, hands down!!
You may have heard me say how my husband, Matt, isnt a big foodie. He doesnt really get excited when I make a new dish he loves to support me and encourage me, but he doesnt freak out over food often. So when I made my Philly Cheesesteak Cauliflower Tater Tot Casserole and barely had time to snap some photos before the whole pan was gone, I knew my cheesesteak was a keeper.
Since then, Ive turned my philly cheesesteak recipe into a classic sandwich, and now hes got a new favorite! Whenever its his turn to pick whats for dinner, hell request this recipe by name. Ive probably made this for him 5 or 6 times in the last two months, lol!
Ive got no complaints philly cheesesteaks are probably one of my all time favorite meals, too! And the fact that it is a 30-minute meal takes the cake!
Also Check: Average Price Of Ribeye Steak