Easy & Tasty Sirloin Steak Recipe
Sirloin steak is a flavorful cut of beef that is great for grilling on a George Foreman contact grill. The indoor grill seals in the juices, whereas a charcoal grill can often dry out the meat. With sirloin less is more in terms of prepping and cooking, as described in the easy recipes here.
The sirloin portion of the animal actually refers to several cuts that are located at the hind quarters. Some of the cuts are labeled the sirloin, the tenderloin, the top sirloin, and the bottom sirloin. The sirloin is at the top near the back bone. The tenderloin is just below the sirloin. This is a lean and softer cut of meat. The top sirloin is in the center of the muscle. And, the bottom sirloin is located toward the underside of the cow or bull.
For the purposes of these recipes we are using the top sirloin. While it is not as tender as the filet mignon, also aptly referred to as the tenderloin, it is a very flavorful cut of beef. The tenderloin is extremely lean, whereas the top sirloin often has a bit of fat running through it. The fat helps to tenderize the meat while it is cooking and adds additional flavor. The top sirloin is less expensive than the tenderloin. This makes it a good option for anyone looking to save a few dollars and still enjoy a delicious grilled steak. Cooked to medium rare is best for this particular protein. It can become chewier and less juicy the more well done it is.
The Six Inexpensive Steaks You Should Know
These are the steaks that butchers and chefs love to use because not only are they more inexpensive, but they’ve got character. Many of them are whole muscles that must be trimmed by the butcher just-so if you want them to be tender and large enough to cook as steaks. There are also not many of them on a steer. For every 20 pounds of ribeyes and T-bones you can get off a steer, you get two hanger steaks. That ain’t much.
These butcher’s cuts tend to be more packed with flavor because of the work they do, yet because they’re not as marketable to the general public and require a bit more skill to cook and serve correctly, they remain much cheaper than their mainstream counterparts. This is good news for you if you want to maximize your flavor and your dollar.
Also Sold As: Butcher’s steak, hangar , arrachera , fajitas arracheras , bistro steak, onglet .
Where It’s Cut From: From the plate section of the cow , it “hangs” off of the cow’s diaphragm, hence the name. U.S. meat-cutting classification of NAMP 140.
Also Sold As: Fajita meat, Roumanian Strip .
Where It’s Cut From: The outside skirt is the diaphragm muscle of the cow, cut from the plate. It is the traditional cut for fajitas, and is generally sold to restaurants. Inside skirt is part of the flank, and is the more widely available form of skirt.
The Short Rib
Also Sold As:Kalbi , Jacob’s Ladder , asado de tira
The Flank Steak
Grilled Sirloin Steak Is Juicy Flavorful And Buttery Tender Every Time With Just Minutes Of Prep
These Grilled Sirloin Steak recipe will be your new go-to way to make steak! The steak is seasoned with a dynamic smoked paprika, garlic forward spice rub that creates a caramelized seasoned crust once grilled, and then is finished with a rich Cajun butter for melt-in-your-mouth tender, juicy steak with tantalizing complex notes. And the best part of Grilled Sirloin Steak? Its SO easy with practically zero clean up! Season, rest, then grill thats it! The fantastic spice rub and butter is also extremely versatile and can used with your other favorite cuts of steak as well. Ive included tips and tricks and detailed directions for how to grill steak to achieve melt in your mouth, juicy, steak even if you have never made steak before! Serve your grilled steak with your favorite sides like corn salsa, strawberry spinach salad and fruit salad and your perfect summer meal awaits!
I love grilling steak in the summer! From to carne asada, street tacos, mojo steak tacos,steak fajitas, Cajun steak, classic steak kabobs, Brazilian steak kabobs, etc. theres just no better way to achieve that smoky caramelized char with hardy any cleanup! So, today Im excited to bring you this Grilled Sirloin Steak recipe just in time for Fathers Day!
Read Also: Canada Steak Burger Chula Vista
How To Grill Skirt Steak
Chef Frothingham’s favorite cut, skirt steak, is long and thin with a slightly chewy texture that pairs well with marinades.
Griddled Sirloin Steak Tips
Never oil a griddle pan. You should only ever oil the food.
Dont add too much oil to the steak as it will still create smoky hell on a griddle pan or create too many flames on a BBQ.
Also its a really bad idea to try and cook like this with no oil. Unless you are using a super non stick aluminium griddle pan perhaps. But it is folly on a cast iron pan, no matter how well seasoned it is.
If you want to use wet flavourings, consider basting them on in the last couple of minutes of cooking. This will allow the surface of the steak to colour first and prevent the marinade/sauce from burning.
Do not be scared of using a super high heat. This is absolutely the best way to create flavour on the steak.
Dont forget to let me know in the comments if you try making this recipe I want to know what you think and if you made any substitutions, how did it turn out?
Also Check: Mcdonalds Bagels Discontinued 2020
How To Grill Tri
Tri-tip steak is a triangular cut that’s on the leaner side, which means it’s best marinated for a while before it hits the grill. For a slightly more affordable steak that still satisfies your craving for the richness of beef, tri-tip fits the bill. Chef Frothingham likes a miso marinade with yellow miso paste, honey, sesame oil, sriracha, canola oil, and rice wine vinegar.
The Two Best Ways To Grill Steak
The ideal grilled steak has an appetizing browned exterior with tender, still-pink meat inside. The tricky part is making sure that you dont burn the surface of the meat before the inside gets warm enough to eat, or cooking the inside too much before getting those nice surface grill marks.
There are two ways to go about it.
Direct grilling: Cooking the steak over high heat, and flipping occasionally until the meat reaches the desired internal temperature .
Reverse searing: Cooking the steak slowly at a low temperature with indirect heat to get the meat 10 to 15 degrees from the final desired internal temperature, then finishing by cooking over high heat to get browning and grill marks.
Also Check: Frozen Steaks Delivered
How To Reheat Grilled Sirloin Steak
- Microwave: I recommend slicing the steak before reheating and transferring it to a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds, then in 15-second intervals as needed.
- Skillet: Over medium heat, add sliced steak and stir often until warmed through.
- Oven: Transfer steak to a baking sheet and cover with foil, reheat at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until warmed through.
- Air Fryer: Reheat steak in the air fryer at 350°F for 3-5 minutes .
Perfectly Grilled Sirloin Steak
Only three ingredients are used to create this flavorful steak. Follow our instructions to make sure it is grilled to mouth-watering perfection.
|Add boneless sirloin steak||1 boneless sirloin steak|
|Add sodium-free meat tenderizer||½ tsp. sodium-free meat tenderizer|
|Add Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning||2 tsp. Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning|
- Cutting board or serving platter
- Aluminum foil
Don’t Miss: Seasonings For Ribeye Steak
How Long Does It Take To Cook Steak In The Oven At 400
If youre wondering how long to cook steak in oven at 400 degrees F, Ive got your answer, but its going to depend a little on how you like your steak cooked. After a quick sear on the stove, youll let the steak finish in the oven at 400 degrees F. For a 1.5-inch thick steak, it usually takes about:
- Rare: 2 minutes
- Medium Rare: 3 minutes
- Medium: 4 minutes
- Medium-well: 5 minutes
- Well-done: 6 minutes
Note: Steak temperature will increase by an additional 5 degrees when resting.
How To Grill Steak Perfectly Every Time
Learn how to grill steak perfectly every single time with this easy to follow recipe where steak is seared on a hot grill and cooked to perfection. Grilling steak doesn’t have to be complicated! Grades of Steak There are three…
Learn how to grill steak perfectly every single time with this easy to follow recipe where steak is seared on a hot grill and cooked to perfection. Grilling steak doesnt have to be complicated!
Also Check: Country Fried Steak Sam’s Club
Easy Grilled Sirloin Steak With Garlic
- 2 8 ounce top sirloin steaks
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp course sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat your George Foreman grill for 5 minutes with the top closed.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the EVOO, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place the steaks on a large plate and coat them on both sides with this seasoned mixture, pressing it into the meat with your hands.
3. Place the steaks on the grill and close the top. Cook for 4 minutes and check the internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer. You are looking for 125°F for medium rare and up to 155°F for medium well. Continue grilling until you achieve the desired doneness. Keep in mind that the steaks will continue to cook while resting, so take them off just shy of the desired temperature.
4. Remove the steaks to a clean cutting board and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving or slicing. Dont skip this step as it will help to keep the steaks moist.
5. Serve with your favorite side dishes. Recipe ideas follow.
How To Grill Sirloin Tip Steak: Tips And Technique
Wondering how to grill sirloin tip steak that will rival the overpriced options at your local steakhouse? If so, youve come to the right place. Our guide will explain why this cut is special, how it should be prepared, and which seasonings you should use to achieve optimum results. Get that apron ready!
Read Also: Mcdonalds Steak Egg And Cheese Bagel Calories
What Cut Of Beef Is Sirloin Steak
Sirloin steak comes from a part of the cow thats also known as the sirloin. It sits on the back of the animal toward the rear, right by the tenderloin and behind the short loin, where youll find other popular cuts like the T-bone and porterhouse.
The sirloin area is actually split into two parts, top sirloin and bottom sirloin. The meat from top sirloin is what you probably hear about most. Its more popular because its great for quick cooks, like pan-searing and grilling, remaining tender and flavorful. Bottom sirloin cuts are a bit more muscley, so they work better for long cooks, like roasting or braising.
How To Cook Top Sirloin Steak
How to cook steak depends very much upon the cut you choose. Top Sirloin steak is always a favorite steak choice, prized for its hearty beef flavor. The best way to cook top sirloin steak is on the grill. But pan-seared top sirloin steak is also exceptional, and you can broil top sirloin steak in the oven as well. No matter which method you choose, our cooking instructions and video will deliver the tender and juicy steak you crave. Use a meat thermometer and you can be sure your steaks are cooked to perfection!
Read Also: Steak Of The Month Club Butchers Market
Grilled Sirloin Steak Basics
- Where is sirloin steak from? Sirloin is a cut of beef from the primal loin, or the upper portion of the cow that runs just under the backbone. It provides naturally tender, flavorful cuts of beef, including the top sirloin, T-bone, strip steak, porterhouse steak, and tenderloin. Top sirloin steaks are made by removing the tenderloin and bottom round muscles.
- How much does top sirloin steak weigh? Top sirloin steak can be cut into almost any size portion, but generally a single steak weighs around 6-9 ounces and is about 1 ½ inches thick. This recipe is for 5 top sirloin steaks, but you can adjust the number of steaks by using the up or down arrow located next to the serving size.
- Do you have to marinate sirloin steak before grilling? Top sirloin boasts a bold, beefy flavor and is delicious on its own with just salt and pepper, or coated in a spice rub. It is tender and juicy enough to be cooked without a marinade, although a marinade can also be used.
- How should you grill sirloin steak? After seasoning and letting the steak rest, it should be cooked hot and fast either grilled or pan seared. It can become tough when cooked too long at low temperatures due to its little fat, unless it is braised low and slow until tender.
- What is grilled sirloin steak good for? Sirloin steak is extremely versatile and is delicious on its own with butter or sauces, or its ideal for kabobs, fajitas, Italian pasta, stir fries, steak and potatoes and makes great steak sandwiches.
Best Way To Cook Sirloin Steak
In Gordon Ramseys Ultimate Cookery Course series on YouTube, the celebrity chef outlines these steps for cooking the best sirloin tender steak:
- Take the steak out the fridge 20 minutes before you start cooking and season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper.
- Heat a dry cast iron skillet on a hot stove. When it gets to the point where it is starting to smoke, drizzle in some oil.
- Lay the steaks in the pan you should hear a loud sizzling noise. Sear both sides and, using tongs, the edges of the steak, too.
- At this point add some lightly crushed garlic cloves and fresh thyme to the pan.
- Once the steaks are browned, add half a tablespoon of butter and, still on high, keep turning every minute it shouldnt take more than a few minutes for the steaks to cook.
Note that the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services say that steaks should be cooked medium and reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit to be safe to eat, so use a food thermometer. If you want to consume less fat, sirloin steaks will also cook well on an indoor grill, or can be barbecued.
The Cattlemens Beef Board says lower-grade sirloin cuts like tri-tip steak or sirloin flap will grill or broil well but are better if first marinated with acidic ingredients like vinegar and lemon to help tenderize the meat, and then sliced against the grain. Prepared this way, sirloin flap makes great fajita meat, for example.
Also Check: Best Steak Knives For Home Use
Also Check: Larry’s Steaks Menu Rising Sun
Heres How You Make It
Making the herb butter
Making the steaks
Preparing The Sirloin Steak: To Marinate Or Not To Marinate
I like to keep it simple when it comes to top sirloin. Since its not a tough cut of meat, it doesnt need to marinate for a long time in an acidic solution. Because it is low in fat, you wont have to trim back much fat to prevent grill flare-ups. The prep time is minimal.
Since the steak already has a robust character and the grill will add some smoke flavor, I only use salt or kosher salt and ground black pepper for seasoning. Just before grilling, rub a small amount of olive oil on each side and hit the steak with coarsely ground pepper. Maybe use some minced garlic or garlic powder to taste.
If you have the time, salt the steak 40 minutes to 8 hours before cooking it. You wont need to use as much salt when you salt in advance and it will enhance the beefy flavor of the steak. Let it rest on a baking rack, uncovered, in the refrigerator if youre salting it overnight.
Recommended Reading: Seasoning Steak Overnight