Where Costco’s Prime Beef Come From
Unfortunately I could not find this information. I heard they get beef from U.S., Canada, and Australia but nothing more specific than that. The downside with a company the size of Costco is that it is hard to track the sources of their meat. I wish there were as good as Whole Foods Market is about sources, as you can easily trace their meat back to the source.
Below you will find a table of prices that I found during my Septmebr 2019 visit to Costco. Prices and selection may vary in your region, check stores for exact pricing. Since I originally wrote this post back in 2015, the prices has stayed pretty steady with a small drop actually. So I don’t expect much difference whenever you are reading this.
|Boneless Rib Eye Steaks|
|Whole Peeled Tenderloin||$29.99/lb|
Not a giant selection by any means but enough to get a good steak. If you buy the entire Top Sirloin and slice it yourself your getting a prime steak for $7.69 per pound, which is 10 cents less per pound that a choice sirloin steak, so it’s a great deal but only if you really have the money to spend on a big chunk of meat at once.
If you want to spend the big bucks and get a truly great steak, I would opt for the Ribeye over the NY Strip. In my opinion it Ribeyes are more flavorful and since their the same price might as well go with the more flavorful cut.
Meet The Ribeye Cap The Tastiest Cut On The Cow
Ribeye cap, light of my life when there’s fire in my grill. My steak, my soul. Rib-eye-cap. It’s deckle, plain deckle, in the kitchen, sitting one foot four when trimmed. It’s calotte in France. It’s “Butcher’s Butter” in the shop. It’s spinalis dorsi in the anatomist’s manual. But in my tongs, it is always ribeye cap.
Did it have a precursor? It did, indeed it did. In point of fact, there might have been no ribeye cap at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial ribeye steak-rind. In a backyard in New Jersey. Oh when? About as many years before ribeye cap became a desirable cut as my age was that summer.
You can always count on a Serious Eater to rip off good Russian literature.
I’ve harbored a secret love for this particular cut of meat for well over a decade, yet our love was so forbidden that it was hidden, even from myself. Whenever I’d order a big ribeye steak or throw a big old cowboy chop on the grill to sizzle away, I’d unconsciously start salivating with a singular thought in my mind: give me some of that delicious cap. Did I know what the cut was called? No. Did I know why it was tastier than any other part of the steak? I had an inkling. All I knew for sure was that those few precious bites along the outside edge of the ribeyethose bites that looked as if they were going to be tough and chewywere the richest, butteriest, tenderest, beefiest bits of steak I’d ever put in my mouth.
Seasoning Beef From Costco
I could not end this post without taking a moment talk about seasoning. When it comes to beef there is nothing more important than salt. A great salt can really make your food extraordinary. Costco does sell salt but nothing that really stands out.
My favorite salts can be found from Thrive Market, which it is great site to use in junction with your Costco membership. Thrive has items that Costco doesn’t have and vice versa. Get an extra 25% OFF your first order + a 30 day free trial membership when you sign up at Thrive Market!
The best salts from Thrive Market include Redmond Real Salt, Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt, Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, and HimalaSalt Himalayan salt. A once a year or every 6 months stock up on various salts is a huge gain for your pantry.
Recommended Reading: How Are Omaha Steaks Packaged
How To Cook Ribeye Cap Steak On The Grill
- Be sure your steak is completely thawed.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Remove your steak from the refrigerator 30-40 minutes before cooking.
- Season steaks as desired we recommend Kansas City Steak Original Steak Seasoning.
- To cook on a charcoal grill, place steaks over the hottest part of the grill, and sear both sides for 1-2 minutes. Then move to medium, ash-covered coals and continue to grill for the times listed in the chart below. Turn about 1 minute prior to the halfway point.
- To cook on a gas grill, preheat on high. Sear both sides for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to medium heat and continue to grill for the times listed in the chart below. Turn about 1 minute prior to the halfway point.
- For the perfect medium-rare ribeye cap steak, grill for 7-8 minutes for a 1-inch steak, and 9-11 minutes for a 1½ inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point. A meat thermometer should read 130°F.
- Rest your steaks for 5 minutes before serving, covering lightly with foil. The temperature of the meat will continue to rise about 5°F during this time . The final temperature will read 135°F.
- Resting steak is also important because the heat of cooking pulls the juices in the meat toward the surface if you slice into it immediately after cooking, those flavorful juices will end up on your plate, not in your steak. Allowing your steak to rest will give the juices time to sink back in and throughout the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful.
What Is Ribeye Cap
The rib cap is the glorious outer-rim of the prime rib roast. It is, to many minds, the best corner of a traditional ribeye steak on the platethat loose part on the other side of the strip of fat that runs through the middle of each ribeye steak. But removed from the rest of the rib loin entirely and cooked as its own self-sufficient cut, the rib cap becomes something altogether extraordinary.
The meat of the cap is, well, loose. Spongy, almost. It has layers of muscle fibers that are bound together with almost no connective tissue. The cut is shot-through with marbling fat that melts like butter when cooked, and its not just any fat, either. Its rib eye fat. If youre a beef lover, you know already that every muscle tastes differently and that fat from every part of the cow has its own unique flavor and texture. And you know that seared ribeye fat is among the best smelling and best tasting.
Recommended Reading: Sir Steak Machinery Pro 9 Parts
Where To Get Ribeye Cap Aka Spinalis Dorsi:
While ribeye cap probably isnt in your local grocery store, its not impossible to obtain. Luxe purveyors like snake river farms offer whole intact cap steaks for purchase online. Even easier , you could purchase a whole ribeye roll and cut it yourself. Heres a handy video guide on how to do that:
Its befitting for the king of all steaks to be paired with a few perfectly balanced ingredients which enhance the glory of the cut but know they arent the star of the show. Few things can elevate a steak as much as salt and butter. So what if you pimped the salt and butter? Here it is, my friends, the salt and butter combo of your dreams:
Coarse kosher salt flecked with porcini dust and scented with the most incredible truffled aroma. Not forgetting onions which have been cooked down for a full hour in a pan, only to be suspended in richly flavored Irish salted butter.
Pair it with some simple sides, I promise this will be one of the greatest steak experiences your tastebuds have had to date.
We Love To Hear From You
What you purchased beef at Costco before? What did you think? I would love to have your comments below. Also make sure to check out my post on Buying Bison at Costco, and why you might want to give it a try over beef.
This post includes affiliate links. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. These are products and services I recommend because I use or trust them. Cookies will be used to track the affiliate links you click.
You May Like: Philly Cheese Steak Mail Order
What Happens If Kirkland Signature Beef Ribeye Cap Steak Boneless Usda Prime Per Lb Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
What Is A Ribeye Cap Steak
The cap steak just so happens to be one of my favorite steaks. It comes from the outer rim of the prime rib roast, a muscle known as the spinalis dorsi, and it is beyond anything youve tried before. In fact, some folks claim the ribeye cap is the most delicious part of the cow (and Id probably have to agree with them.
In a nutshell, the ribeye cap is both wonderfully tender and ridiculously flavorful. The meat is nice and loose with TONS of delicious marbling throughout. This particular ribeye cap fat makes this cut one of the best tasting steaks around. Flavor and tenderness? What more could you want from a steak?
These steaks often come with a higher price tag, but if youve been on the hunt for the most amazing steak around, youll find this steak is worth every penny.
You May Like: Steak And Shake Kids Meal
How To Cook Ribeye Cap Steak
Now, its time to learn how to cook ribeye cap steak to churn out the perfect steak for dinner. Much like your other favorite cuts of steak, the ribeye cap cut fares well pan-seared on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet or cooked on the grill. Both cooking methods bring out the steaks delicious flavors, and if youre careful about cooking time, leave the smooth texture intact.
For either method, the preparation process will be the same. First, trim any excess fat off the outer edges of the steak. Then, add some olive oil to all sides, and season your steaks with salt and ground black pepper or your favorite steak seasoning. Be sure to have your ribcaps come to room temperature, usually for about a half-hour or so, before you cook them.
If youre cooking your steaks in a cast iron pan, first melt a couple of tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the steaks slowly and allow them to cook on one side for about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your desired doneness. Then, flip to the other side and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Medium rare is a desirable goal for ribcaps, and youll need to cook them to about 140 degrees for this level. You can add a little minced garlic to the pan after flipping, too, for a flavorful boost.
Note: Like filet mignon, this cut works exceptionally well with a balsamic vinegar marinade or finishing sauce. Try this marinated steak recipe.
Reverse Sear Ribeye Cap Steak The Professional Way
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Place steaks on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet on the center rack of the hot oven. Cook until internal temperature reaches 10°F lower than the desired final temperature.
- Remove and let steaks rest for 5 minutes, covering lightly with foil.
- Preheat a heavy skillet or cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot, about 5 minutes. A hot skillet delivers the best sear.
- Add some butter or oil and sear steaks for one minute each side. The final internal temperature of your steak should be 135°F for medium-rare and 145°F for medium.
- The sear will give your steaks the rich golden brown color and enhanced flavor that is typically associated with grilled steaks.
- Serve immediately. Unlike other methods of cooking steak, the low heat of the oven used in reverse searing does not draw the juices of the meat to the surface so additional resting time is not needed.
Read Also: Cuisinart 6 Piece Steak Knife Set
How To Butcher A Ribeye Cap
As I mentioned above, the spinalis dorsi is not a commonmuscle. I hear tell of it being sold at giant-box wholesale stores from time totime, and you can certainly buy them from specialty retailers online. If youhave a very good local butchers shop, you can most likely get one there. Butotherwise, if you want a ribeye cap, youre going to have to make one yourself.
Yes, this is an opportunity for some light home-butchery, so sharpen up yourboning knife and check out the video below. Its really quite simple, once youget past the first stages. At a certain point, you can even set the knife downand let your fingers do the work.
- First, remove a few steaks from the loin-endthe end that looks more like a NY strip. At this end the cap is too thin to use, so cutting off a few steaks for later use will get you to the part of the cap that is thick enoughat least a solid half inch. Enjoy these steaks at your leisure.
- Trim off the lip of the loin.
- Trim away any excess fat and silver skin from the surface of the cut to make trimming the cap easier later.
- Turn the rib loin over and remove the intercostal muscles .
- Find the seam on the rib-side where the cap runs parallel to the length of the rib. Rip it open, trimming out any portions you cant easily tear with your hands. Note that this step is an extremely satisfying part of the process.
- Trim the rib cap of any excess fat and silver skin.
How To Cook A Ribeye Steak
Cap of Ribeye or Spinalis Steak on the Big Green Egg … 3- USDA Prime Cap of Ribeye Steaks from Costco! they roll up the cap and tie it with a string. … Plate setter in, egg temperature 300 degrees. Cook steaks until the interior temp is about 100 degrees. Remove to rest. Take the plate setter out and run the egg temperature up to 600 degrees.
Cooking Ribeye Steak How to Cook Ribeye Steak. How to cook steak depends very much upon the cut you choose. Ribeye steak is always a popular steak choice, prized for its tenderness and flavor. The best way to cook ribeye steak is on the grill. But pan-seared ribeye steak is also delicious, and you can broil ribeye steak in the oven as well.
Remove ribeye cap from the bag, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Step 1 In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add butter and steaks and sear until dark golden brown on each side, about two minutes per side.
What you will need. 2 lb beef ribeye cap steak. 1 tsp salt. 1/2 tsp black pepper
Grilled up a Ribeye Cap Steak for the wife and I tonight. The last one I did, I grilled as a spiral . Tonight I undid the twine and grilled the much thinner steak, hot and fast going 600F for 2 mins per side.
You May Like: What Is In Steak Seasoning
What Does Usda Prime Mean
Beef in America is graded by the USDA. The first thing you need to look for is a symbol on the package that says USDA Prime. For the defintion of Prime Beef, we turn to what the USDA says : “USDA Prime is the superior grade with amazing tenderness, juiciness, flavor and fine texture. It has the highest degree of fat marbling and is derived from the younger beef.” It’s all about the how much fat is running through the meat and how old the animal was. Younger beef is more tender. If you can develop good marbling in a short time, then you will have prime beef. This isn’t easy to, it requires perfect timing, which is why most beef isn’t prime.
Is There A Difference Between Wagyu Rib Cap And Regular Ribeye Cap Steak
You may have heard of Wagyu steak and how its standards are among the highest for steaks. Well, the same is true for the Wagyu rib cap. If you find a steak thats denoted as Wagyu ribcap steak cut, you have a steak thats been graded with the Wagyu grading system. The system sets exceptionally high standards for its steaks, much like the USDA Prime grading system. These rib steaks are just about as perfect as you can get.
Don’t Miss: Steak Diet To Lose Weight
What Are Your Thoughts
Have you ever bought Prime Beef at Costco? Please share your experience in the comment section below. Was it worth the extra money?
Disclaimer: This posts includes affiliate links. This means that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. These are products and services I recommend because I use or trust them. Cookies will be used to track the affiliate links you click.
Why Is Picanha So Good
The picanha is just top sirloin cap. To me its more of a tri-tip or if you slice it kinda like a NY due to the fat cap. The rib eye is filled with so much fatty goodness and much more tender. Picanha is more tough than ribeye but packs a characteristic flavour and fat cap which Brazilians and people like me love.
Recommended Reading: Does Olive Garden Have Steak